[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Probably an odd question, but pictured is a Magikarp Taiyaki

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 4

Probably an odd question, but pictured is a Magikarp Taiyaki pan which is possibly one of if not the hardest piece of Pokemon merch to get your hands on which i really want. Problem is not only have i looked for months and never seen a single person willing to part with one, but the few times i've heard of them being sold they sold for well over $300 so it seems like it would be cheaper and easier to make or have one made.

So how would i do that? Does anyone have any ideas or advice for me to make or have one of these made?
>>
>>1105804
looks like a sheet of steel was just stamped with a magikarp die. doubtful youre going to be able to get the same quality at home. maybe if you can 3d print a similar model then cast it in aluminum and use that to stamp a sheet of steel or something that might work but idk. maybe a home vaccuformed mold using foodsafe plastic would get you good enough
>>
File: 42.png (464KB, 580x435px) Image search: [Google]
42.png
464KB, 580x435px
>>1105813
What about cast iron?
Recently in Japan a very small number of taiyaki shops had these molds that look like they might be cast iron.

Im not looking to make an exact replica, just something that does the same job.
>>
Just shell out the 300, you weeby fuck.
>>
>>1105834
Thats only an option if you can find one, in the 7 months i've been looking for one i've never seen one for sale.
>>
File: taiyakicap.jpg (198KB, 1500x1500px) Image search: [Google]
taiyakicap.jpg
198KB, 1500x1500px
>>1105814
Cast iron is ancient tech. Yeah, should work fine.
>>
>>1105804
Cast iron would work, but making an iron casting with good surface finish and fine detail like that is a fairly tall order for DIY. Pursuing that would probably cost well over $300. If you really want to go for that, research lost wax casting.
>>
>>1105804

How about printing it as sintered steel at shapeways? Make it thin to keep down the cost and then put a layer of clay or cement behind it for structural support.
>>
>>1105813

If you cast it in aluminium why not just anodize it and use that?
>>
>>1105804
I would try to find a toy to make a mold of, but if not possible, then go to ordering a 3d printed model, then making a wax mold from it

use those to cast some aluminum molds in plaster, or better yet, find someone who knows what they're doing and have them cast it
>>
3D print then make a food grade silicone mould and bake Magikarp things?
>>
the original is cast aluminum
>>
File: 1479423957867.gif (4MB, 204x204px) Image search: [Google]
1479423957867.gif
4MB, 204x204px
>>1105859
>aluminum for cooking your food
>>
>>1105834
Or could spend that same money and have most of the setup to make them with sand casting. I'm sure his time isn't valuable so the learning experience will be a win for him.
>>
>>1105893
that would be the easiest way
you also could just find a plastic toy and don't bother with 3D printing meme
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FQ1A7ZjTsx8

>>1105813
>>1105859
second easiest option
aluminum cooking ware is perfectly safe, unless you scrape it a lot and then cook something really acidic in it (like vinegar)
I'd go for that
>>
>>1105912
Someone likes to read fake news articles and not fact check anything, I see.
>>
>>1105918
>aluminum cooking ware is perfectly safe, unless you scrape it a lot and then cook something really acidic in it (like vinegar)
>I'd go for that
Even then. The human body has extensive pathways for flushing aluminum. It's one of the most abundant elements in the environment. Just breathing, you take in relatively large amounts from soil dust floating around.

The only time it's actually dangerous is if you're genetically unlucky (so you're fucked anyway) or you chronically breathe enough aluminum dust to overwhelm your lungs' ability to expel it (a mechanical, not chemical issue).
>>
>>1105914
Kek
>>
>>1105912
Ironically you will die from cancer.
>>
If they're in such high deman then why don't you buy an original then replicate it using molds and casts? Sell the reproductions for mad profit. Jesus think beyond your own weeb needs
>>
Have you tried alibaba?
>>
If someone asked me to CNC one of those, I could see it getting done for $300ish, obviously requiring that you have the plans for it and that doesn't include adding a handle and rivets and cleaning it up with some sanding. I don't know about making an exact replica if thats what you are intending but it could be made to closely resemble it and function the same.
>>
>>1108468
Because i have yet to see one for sale for as long as i've been looking.

>>1108475
Oddly enough, searching for just "taiyaki maker" comes up with a lot results with "magikarp" in the name but theyre all just regular taiyaky makers
>>
>>1108909
that fish looks pretty cool. just search youtube for sandcasting cast iron. do you have any kind of art center around you with furnaces. its a skill that many glassblowers and blacksmiths have but dont really advertise because its not a money maker. its not that hard its just so specific for a one time item that its not profitable but if your willing to go up to $300 and you have that pokemon fish they can make a mold of it should be easy. but you would need to own the fish in the appropriate size.
>>
>>1105813
>3d print a similar model
I would honestly consider making the clay model. Or even better >>1105918
>>
>>1105804
>so it seems like it would be cheaper and easier to make or have one made.
so it seems like it would be cheaper and easier to make or have one made.

It would not.
>>
>>1111366
My current idea involves me buying a cheap 3d printer capable of printing in just enough detail to print the design which isnt a lot, making a mold, casting it in steel and hardening it, and shipping it out to a Chinese cookware manufacturer and asking for a "product sample".

Estimated cost is about $400 and i get a 3D printer out of it.
>>
>>1111368
>a cheap 3d printer

People think 3D printers are
>CAD in
>Cool shit out

They are not. You will hate it. Better yet, since you need the file for the 3D printer anyway, if you are willing to model it right you can just whip it up in solidworks, send it to a shop, pay them a couple hundred, and boom, master plate made of the material of your choice. Then you can use the master plate to stamp shit, make molds, do whatever the fuck you want.

In essence, 3D printing is shit, CNC is god.
Thread posts: 28
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.