[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Convert grounded laptop charger for ungrounded laptop

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

I had been using an HP laptop charger as backup for my Gateway laptop. Suddenly it wouldn't work, and looking inside the plug I noticed it had three contact surfaces, instead of the normal two for my laptop. I cut off the end and soldered in a two-wire plug from a random other cord that fit my laptop's socket, leaving the blue ground wire in the HP charger unconnected. Now it won't work; it seems like the brick is detected the ground is open.
Is there any way to convert a grounded charger for an ungrounded laptop?
>>
>>1105604
>blue ground wire
blue is neutral

you fucked up
>>
>>1105610
There was a blue one and a black one. You're saying the blue is neutral? I checked which contact surface went to which wire before I soldered; the blue was the prong in the middle that my laptop doesn't have a socket for.
>>
>>1105604
If it didn't work before you cut the plug off you shouldn't expect it to work now unless the plug was the problem.
Could be literally anything wrong with the brick itself.
What the fuck are you blabbering about grounded laptop charger as if its connected to anything inside a moulded plastic brick for fuck sake buy a new one.
>>
>>1105621
It was working before I cut it off and then it stopped working. I think the third prong in the middle bent at some point.
>>
these 3 prong things can sometimes be replaced by a 2 wire thing, but most times they CANT.

the center pin is a communication wire between the charger and the laptop. often, unless they can talk to each other, the charger will not send any juice.

this is, of course, another way for companies to Jew you out of your money by making sure you buy their own brand replacements at 300% markup. thank goodness for thrift stores and their $3 brand name chargers.
>>
>>1105625
how about you get the correct charger because you cant describe shit
>>
File: IMG_20161228_203131023_HDR.jpg (477KB, 1456x2592px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20161228_203131023_HDR.jpg
477KB, 1456x2592px
EET here. I've torn apart tons of these adapters. I use them for anything that needs a 10 - 40 vdc power source up to ~120 watts. I literally can not make a high watt buck converter for less then one of these shipped from China off ebay.

I've seen a few different configurations but the majority of them have the ground bonded the dc's negative rail. In a few cases the ground is tied to neutral (which is dumb as shit) or just not connected at all. In no case is the ground wire necessary for the converter to function. pic related.

Now, I'm talking about the main's side plug because you're using terms like 'neutral' and 'ground'. You might be talking about the dc side plug and just using the wrong terms.
>>
>>1105684
The earth ground is normally used to prevent the tingling feeling you sometimes get when if the laptop has a metal casing, the capacitance of the transformer and small capacitor connected across it allows a small amount of AC current to flow from the mains to earth ground via the human body.

Its pretty harmless (less than 1mA) but most people get scared if they feel that sort of sensation. My Dell laptop has the DC negative earthed too but via a resistor (1k ohm IIRC).

>In a few cases the ground is tied to neutral
That would cause the RCD to trip in my house if the load on the ring circuit is high enouth.
>>
>>1105684
Sorry, I am talking about the dc side of the plug, the one that connects to the laptop. The charger plugs in to a normal grounded outlet.
>>
>>1105877
As far as I know the center pins of HP chargers (like Lenovo's) are SMART pins, not earth grounds. They use a variable voltage (or resistance in Lenovo's case) to convey the wattage capacity of the adapter to the laptop. In Lenovo's this is done in the end of the plug itself by a simple resistor to ground so just two wires are needed to go between the adapter and plug. In HP's they use a third wire going back to the adapter itself and a simple voltage divider to supply some level in between vcc and ground.

At no point do either of these circuits stop the adapter from working or the laptop from using the adapter. If the SMART pin is broken or disconnected the laptop assumes the adapter to be the smallest possible and charges slowly.

You need to get a multimeter and test that the adapter is outputting power. Verify at the connector the positive and negative is present and the right polarity.
>>
>>1105939
On my DELL laptop the third pin actually carry's data via a "DALLAS 2501" IC hiding in the adapter its self.

If the laptop can't communicate with this IC it will go into some low power mode by reducing performance.

I remember once getting this message when booting and plugging in the cord at the exact moment it did the check, this caused the message in this link to show up. I swear it never came out of that low performance state as my power meter never reports much more than 50w draw from my 90w charger at max load.

http://www.laptop-junction.com/toast/content/inside-dell-ac-power-adapter-mystery-revealed
>>
>>1105939
The multimeter readings (compared to a working charger) are identical numerically and polarially.
>>
>>1105694
Hey clive.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.