[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Serpentine Belt Replacement

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 3

File: IMG_0057.jpg (69KB, 622x419px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0057.jpg
69KB, 622x419px
Hi guys I have a 2000 Ford Taurus with a Duratec 24 valve 3L engine. My serpentine belt snapped and I've had a nightmare trying to get the new one on. At first I had one that's way too big, now I supposedly have the right one but I just can't get it on. I'm honestly starting to getting really frustrated now and I'm about ready to have the sucker towed off, I think the A/C pulley in pic related is the issue and if that needs to be replaced too then I'm definitely just gonna have to let the shop handle it cause I don't have many tools or know a thing about it.

Well anyway my question is, since the belt snapped and was obviously easy to get off without messing with the tensioner, do you guys think it'd be worth paying $25 to rent the tool to loosen it? I can see where that would be the issue with the belt being too small. And if I do get it going, would it be safe to just drive it about ~15 minutes to get the a/c pulley taken care of?
>>
>>1105435
Is it an auto tensioner ? On my old car you just needed a 1/2" ratchet to momentarily pull of the tension. Let go of the ratchet and it snapped back into place. Might need a pipe on the ratchet for enough leverage.
>>
Ha I just did this on my L4, it was much simpler. Just goes around the alternator, A/C, and on the tensioner
>>
>>1105435
Youll need a wrench in order to move tensioner so that the belt will fit over it. Release tensioner and it will tighten belt. Of course it was easy to get it off without messing with tensioner because it snapped.
>>
File: IMG_0072.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0072.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>1105436
Well it's spring loaded, that's about all I know. I found the bolt but the problem is reaching it, it's super tight. Pic related is the best I could do to show that tiny space, the tensioner is the little silver thing
>>
>>1105440
Put a 15mm wrench on the tensioner pulleys belt, and pull it to the right. It will move a large amount and allow you to put your belt on slack

So put your belt on everywhere except the pulley, so that way when you pull it back you can slip the belt on.
Its always a bit tricky to do, but it can be done.
>>
>>1105443
>tensioner pulleys belt

Bolt not belt
Also no, do not drive it or start it without a belt
>>
It can be done with a wrench and cheater pipe.
Not easy and risky to fingers but it can be done.

Most big parts stores will loan tools for a deposit which you get back when you return the tool.
>>
>>1105443
Ok thanks man I'm gonna rent the tool and pray it works. Thanks for saying which size I need.

>>1105449
I'm just gonna rent that tool, didn't realize it was a deposit and not a real payment.

Thanks for the help guys I'll let you know how it goes. Hopefully I can screw off back to /v/ by the days end lol
>>
>>1105455
>Hopefully I can screw off back to /v/ by the days end lol

Or more likely youll figure out that a little grunt work is so worth not having to pay the fucking monkeys at a shop to work on your car. With the internet at your disposal, any halfway handy person should be doing basic maintenance on their own cars.
>>
File: doublewrenchtrick.jpg (31KB, 800x203px) Image search: [Google]
doublewrenchtrick.jpg
31KB, 800x203px
>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gEk6KicluHI&t=4m56s
Work the belt on from the bottom up. Use two wrenches or a ratchet with a pipe on the handle so that you can pull the tensioner all the way with one hand. Having an assistant pull the tensioner makes things easier. Good luck.
>>
>>1105435
Grab a 13mm wrench ( or what ever fits on the tensioners exposed bolt.) And a pipe.

This job is easier with 2 people.

With the wrench and pipe you can apply pressure to the tensioner it will retract. And you can route the belt

Once the belt is routed slowly release the tensoner . Theb double check.
>>
The tool should not be more than about 25 bucks to buy. I keep a generic belt tool in both my trucks, since belts never die in convenient locations.

Always look for vidyas when doing common jobs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=my_0wX9_wG8
>>
>>1105440
last time i did one of those, i put the belt on all the pulleys besides the alternator. then just pulled the belt to move the tensioner and put it on the last pulley. it's tight as fuck between the tensioner and car so the tool might not even fit. i always wear big leather gloves at work, that might save your hand and let you be a little more aggressive. if you need to use the tool, jacking up on the engine might give you a little more clearance, just put a piece of 2x4 on the jack, don't jack directly on the oil pan. funny story, a bunch of years ago i did one of hose belts and had it on every pulley, but it was wrong. i didnt start it, it was kinda lose. so, don't do that
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.