[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Cleaning septic tank/hole

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 70
Thread images: 16

Hi guys, quick question, my granmother lives in a house with what I assume is a septic tank (since the smell is fucking horrid).
The problem is sometimes the water manages to get out, she has given me a tube of silicone to seal it, but I guess that's not the appropiate way to deal with this.
There are big chunks of who knows what floating in there, and I thought it would be better to pour them into a bucket before scraping the shit out of it with a wire brush and sealing it.
The thing is around 1 ft deep.
Any ideas.

TL;DR: how do I fix this septic tank/hole that keeps overflowing?
>>
>>1105333
Unless the second step to your ingenious plan is to stop using anything that puts water into the septic tank forever then it is not going to work.

What you are experiencing is a symptom, not a problem. Fix the fucking problem first.

"What's the problem?" you ask? Your septic tank has failed. Call a pro and find out why.
>>
>>1105335
Pipe going to the sewer seems blocked from all the shit, I'll get some gloves and try to remove it by hand.
Already removed around 10kg of fossilized crap.
>>
As has been said, your septic tank is not working properly. If water cannot take the usual path to exit the tank, it will find a path such as the issue you are experiencing.
>>
>>1105333
That needs to be pumped out and your tank serviced.

Next time.... rid X
>>
>>1105340
Make sure you don't have any cuts or anything on your arm/hands. Semi open wounds and shit gets bad quick
>>
>>1105333
Call a professional plumber.
>>
>>1105340
Cleaned all I could and sealed it with a full tube of silicone, whatever happens next is not my problem.
>>
>>1105357
Holy shit you're retarded. What's gonna happen is the water can't get out so it will just travel back up the pipes and flood the house. You're gonna cost your grandma thousands in damages, not to mention the smell it's gonna leave in her house. You are a shitty grandson pun intended
>>
File: A Face Of Pure Terror.gif (2MB, 303x221px) Image search: [Google]
A Face Of Pure Terror.gif
2MB, 303x221px
>>1105357
>sealed it with a full tube of silicone

Oh my dear fucking god.
>>
File: 1482525308555.jpg (73KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
1482525308555.jpg
73KB, 500x500px
>>1105357
Jesus fuck.

GET BACK THERE AND YANK THAT LID OFF BEFORE THE SILICONE IS FULLY SET.
>>
>>1105354
I'll do it if water keeps geetting out after this, thanks.
My grandmother says she called them two months ago, but based on what I've seen they probably did nothing. If she calls them again I will be there to make sure they do their job.
>>
>>1105357
Open it back up before that stuff dries and sets. Wipe it all off. Leave the lid off until the remaining silicone has 100% cured.

Sealing the lid is the worst thing you can have done, fyi.
>>
File: IMG_1043.jpg (149KB, 1242x990px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1043.jpg
149KB, 1242x990px
The REASON it's overflowing is most likely because this line is clogged. The "pee/water" is supposed to drain out. The poop stays behind in the tank and bacteria eats it. You need to unclog this line
>>
File: IMG_1044.jpg (56KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1044.jpg
56KB, 500x500px
>>1105364
You'll probably need to rent a Roto Rooter and snake the pipe with it.
>>
>>1105360
This is a 3 floor building. I had to do this because her neighbors didn't want to pay, jokes on them, they live on the 1st floor and they'll be the first ones to suffer the consequences.

>>1105363
Too late m8.

>>1105370
Hoefully the pressure will unglog the line, I removed most of the chunks and cleaned the pipe a bit. If the clog persists the neighbors will be the first ones to notice and will have to pay for the repair. That or the lid will blow out eventually, spraying shit everywhere.

>>1105372
Yeah, that would be the best /diy/ solution, but I live in a small town and I don't think I would be able to rent one of those.
>>
>>1105379
>Hoefully the pressure will unglog the line
it won't. this is a direct result of letting the tank actually fill up with shit. if you don't drain it until it's completely full the shit level rises high enough to start flowing through the pipes which plugs it up. the drain pipe is only designed to allow liquid and maybe a few small solids through but what happens in the tank is the solid shit turns into more of a paste almost like cement which will plug badly if it actually reaches any of the pipes either entering or exiting the tank
>>
>>1105386
just to add to this. if your silicone actually holds up to the pressure it's just going to start coming up drain pipes like your kitchen sink or bathtub
>>
Is it a septic tank? OP said the hole is 1 ft deep, plus it's in what looks to be a basement.
>>
>>1105386
I don't think the pipe is clogged enough to withstand some feet shit column.
Shit seems to flow out, although at a slow rate, otherwise the floor would've been covered with shit by now due the pipe being incapable of draining anything. It only happens ocassionaly.
Could it develop into a much worse problem over time? Of course, but as I said, I'm not the one who should be dealing with this, nor the one who will be affected first, hell, I won't even inherit this place after my grandma dies, it will probably be sold and demolished to make room for a new building.
I removed around 10 kilos of shit and solid matter, that will have to do.
>>
>>1105393
if you're not the one that's supposed to be dealing with it and if you're to fucking stupid/lazy to do it properly anyway then you shouldn't be doing a fucking thing. you do know that now that you've done shit you're liable for any damages caused when it fucks up right?
>>
File: shitter is full.png (1MB, 1153x741px) Image search: [Google]
shitter is full.png
1MB, 1153x741px
>>1105357
>septic tank
>siliconed shut
>>
>>1105388
I'm OP and I don't even know what that thing is, I just know the smell is putrid.
>>1105396
I don't live in America, I don't expect a lawsuit or anything like that. The main reason the neighbors haven't payed to fix the thing properly is because the septic hole of the community is in the garage, which is my gandma's property, and only affects her.
>>1105403
Made me laugh, I'll keep you guys updated if shit hits the fan.

Also, don't worry about my grandma, she'll probably come to live with us soon because she currently lives alone. It isn't worth the money and effort to get everything to work there, as I said the building is old as fuck and will probably be domolished in a decade or two. This is just one of many problems in there.
>>
>>1105414
>the septic hole of the community is in the garage, which is my gandma's property, and only affects her
wut?

normally "overflowing" would mean that the tank is full of waste and should be pumped by a septic company
>>
>>1105540
Just to clarify, in yuropoorland people live on top of each other, it's called a residential building. People have to deal with shitty neighbors who live below and avobe them. In this case, this residential building has a small garage, wich is owned by my grandmother. The septic tank is in the garage, so the other neighbors don't give a fuck about their own shit oozing out of it into her garage.

She says she called a company two months ago, and they probably did absolutely nothing and scammed her, so rather than spending another 200€ she wanted me to clean it and shut it close.

I did remove a faily amount of shit from the tank and the pipe, if the problem persists it'll probably affect the neighbors in the 1st floor, so they either pay to get it clean or get a literal shitstorm.
>>
>>1105578
In that case, they probably did do something and did it right. It is the shitty neighbors stuffing trash and shit down the toilet they are not supposed to be flushing. Could be anything from boxes of condoms to children's toys and chicken bones.
>>
File: pump%20truck.jpg (51KB, 440x330px) Image search: [Google]
pump%20truck.jpg
51KB, 440x330px
>>1105578
I don't know how the lease/mortages are set up there, but I can't imagine that the septic would be one tenants responsibility unless they own the property

>they probably did absolutely nothing and scammed her
find out what they were supposed to do, or what the work order says she paid for

>I did remove a faily amount of shit from the tank and the pipe
if the problem is that the tank is full (which I believe it might be), there's no way you could do enough to make a difference

pic related - the kind of equipment needed to clean out septic tanks
>>
>>1105578
septic tanks need to be pumped out every 3-5 years or they fall apart.
>>
Not that OP cares, but I think that sealing septic system can cause the gasses to permeate the concrete, making it brittle. It is then much more susceptible to cracking, crumbling, and otherwise needing to be replaced
>>
>>1105688
>>1105699
It's already falling apart, the concrete bricks around it are crumbling like cookies in hot milk, the only way to get out of this situation is to pump momey into it, it's just not worth it considering that's not the only problem.
24 hours later everything seems ok, no clogging or bad smells.
>>
>>1105915
>it's just not worth it considering that's not the only problem

What I'm hearing is, "It's not a big deal the only sanitary receptacle for multiple households is weeks away from catastrophic failure. Why would I spend money on something people depend on?"
>>
>>1105379
Wait wait wait - 3 floor building of which your grandma occupies one of the floors? Is this a rental? Get the landlord to fix it!

All fuckery aside, it sounds like you have a septic system which is clogged with solids as others have pointed out. Get an actual septic service company to clean it out before you fuck up the drainage field if you haven't already. They need pumped every once in a while to clean them out.

Seriously it should only be a couple hundred dollars, and unless you happen to own a honey dipper you can't do it yourself.
>>
>>1105937
>Why would I spend money on something people depend on?"
As I explained, people from all floors are shitting in the same hole, why should my grandma be the only one paying to fix this?
If the neighbours aren't going to pay their part to fix it I guess they don't care either, it's not her responsability to deal with other people's shit, literally.
My grandma will be moving with us soon, as she lives alone and can't take care of herself, so I don't really care what happens next, as I said, the building is old and will probably be demolished in a couple of decades. I couldn't care less about the neighbours, they didn't want to pay to fix it, so they'll have to deal with the consequences.
>>1105947
It's not a rental, it's an average residential building with 3 floors, my granma owns the second floor and the small garage, which is at ground level, the other two floors are owned by shitty neighbours.
>>
>>1105937
It is a 3rd world shithole. They literally do not fucking care. This thread is yet more evidence of that.

>>1105954
You are taking someone else's shit? hahahahahaha

The only way i'd do that would be make a biogas digestor, make biomethane with it and sell it back to them as cooking/heating gas. I'd also make them pay for sending shit my way.
>>
if the septic tank it's in the garage and the garage is your grandma's, and the neighbours say they don't want to pay for it since it's not their business, why didn't you just block their waste pipes, or at least threaten to do so?
>>
>>1105963
>why didn't you just block their waste pipes, or at least threaten to do so?
He pretty much just did that...

>>1105333
It may not be a real septic tank but more of a a cess pit, ie a literal shit hole that have to be drained when it's full.
>>
>>1105961
>It is a 3rd world shithole. They literally do not fucking care. This thread is yet more evidence of that.
Either that or we have enough properties built in the last decade to care about a crumbling apartment built in the 50s that would take a serious amount of money to reform, in which neither of us will have to live and which will probably be demolished in our lifetimes and its terrain sold by fractions between us and the neighbours.
>>1106008
>It may not be a real septic tank but more of a a cess pit, ie a literal shit hole that have to be drained when it's full.
I don't think it is a cess pit or just a hole in the gound in which shit is dumped, it has two pipes, one going in and another going out.
I'm not entirely sure what its function is.
>>
>>1106045
does your grandma pay for a sewer hookup?
>>
>>1106053
I guess so, everyone in here pays it.
>>
Maybe a grease trap.
>>
>>1106065
Google grease trap cleaning, that's what you have there.
>>
>>1106070
heh, not anymore
>>
>>1106045
>I don't think it is a cess pit or just a hole in the gound in which shit is dumped, it has two pipes, one going in and another going out.
My grandma's house had that too, but outside. It was made of 1m diameter concrete rings, 2m or so deep.
Never figured out the reason for it; when I was a kid we used a shitbucket on a long stick to shovel the crap into the outgoing pipe once a year.
Also I think it was not fully sealed at the bottom because nearby trees grew like fucking magic.
About two decades ago we simply bypassed it and connected the incoming shitpipe to the outgoing shitpipe.
No issues ever since, no more shit shoveling.
>>
File: artofnotgivingafuck.jpg (35KB, 500x389px) Image search: [Google]
artofnotgivingafuck.jpg
35KB, 500x389px
Pic related has never been more appropriate.
>>
>>1105333
Looks like grease to me ,did it smell like shit?

If it's a septic tank it needs to be emptied,and some drain rods to unlock those pipes
>>
Why do people keep guessing after they are told the answer?
>>
>>1105403
This must have required a moderate degree of effort. Good work.
>>
god bless america
>>
>>1105403
kekkles
>>
>>1105370
WHO THE FUCK DROPS SEWER DIRECTLY INTO THE SOIL? THIS IS LITERALLY MORE RETARDED THAN WHAT OP DID
>>
>>1106704
That is a standard septic field. It allows nature to process the black water back into the environment without harm.
>>
File: 1456245078717.jpg (93KB, 755x696px) Image search: [Google]
1456245078717.jpg
93KB, 755x696px
This thread.

I can't fucking breathe.
>>
File: seepagepitDF.jpg (53KB, 595x372px) Image search: [Google]
seepagepitDF.jpg
53KB, 595x372px
>>1106704
Ever heard of a leach line? Or a seepage pit? If you're on septic that's where the liquid waste winds up.
>>
>>1105688
my house in Germany has a American steel ww2 helmet with a long handle at ached to get the tank empty
>>
>>1107992
we have still the hatch in the yard covered with soil and rusted shut never opened in the 15 years I live here
but from what the nighbours say it's not used anymore the shit flows through it and then in the sewer

probably the same as op's system
old septic tank conected to the city's sewer system

should I look after the hatch because it wasn't opened in the last 30 years so it's rusted tighter than silicone could ever do
>>
>>1107992
>>1107992
>>1107992
>>1107992
>>1107992

triggered
>>
>>1107997
It's just a grease trap.

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/h9P09xON4TU/hqdefault.jpg
>>
>>1107992
Ingenious but very slow. Aren't there such things as "pumps" in Germarabia?
>>
>>1108042
>>1108058
these houses were build short after ww2
for the people that fleed from the east teritoreties
these homes were thought to be homesteads with chickens or goat

so pumps were not available and sewer lines to houses had coal stoves in every room
the shit was used as fertilizer for the vegetable garden
the garage has a separate septic tank somewhere in the yard for small animals like goats
>>
>>1108117
>OP wrote: This is a 3 floor building. I had to do this because her neighbors didn't want to pay, jokes on them, they live on the 1st floor and they'll be the first ones to suffer the consequences.

You don't have septic tanks for goats on each floor of a three story building...

It's a common grease trap, nothing more.
>>
>>1108128
I don't mean op's house
>>
Neck deep in granny's shit

What a life.
>>
>>1105333
>The thing is around 1 ft deep.
That's not a septic tank
>>
>>1108248
We know, it's a grease trap.
>>
Checking back in.
Did OPs house splode yet?
Mt. Veturdvious?
Scatastrophe?
>>
>>1108522
crapalanche
>>
File: 1483275312215.jpg (41KB, 848x480px) Image search: [Google]
1483275312215.jpg
41KB, 848x480px
>its a grease trap

I told you, Jerry, I told you!
>>
>>1108522
OP here, shit's still fine, calm your tits. Nobody has complained about smells or a Krapatoa and it stopped spilling out. Everything is okie dokie as far as I can tell.
>>1108277
>>1108042
>>1108248
I hope it is, it smells like shit tho.
>>
>>1109057
Worked in a restaurant OP, grease traps do smell a lot like shit. I imagine if one hasn't been cleaned out in years it's enough to gag a maggot, and you'd swear it's shit.
>>
>>1105357

Holy fuck this is going to be great.

Convince your grandma to sell it to refugees right fucking now.
Thread posts: 70
Thread images: 16

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.