[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What fun things can you do with a satellite dish?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 4

What fun things can you do with a satellite dish?
>>
You can receive satellite signals.
>>
>>1105323
its a reflector/concentrator

find the point where rays converge and put your target there (antenna/ants/etc)
>>
>>1105323
Collect more and make a radio telescope array.
Make a solar death ray and use it to power a Stirling Engine.
>>
>>1105323
melt the ice caps and flood detroit
>>
File: 18r5kjotee6igjpg.jpg (94KB, 800x431px) Image search: [Google]
18r5kjotee6igjpg.jpg
94KB, 800x431px
>>1105323
>>
>>1105323
ski(works on snow or sand), wok, frisbee, hat, a lid

the possibilities are endless really.
>>
>>1105323
Get fined thousands of dollars by the FCC.
>>
a wok
>>
>>1105323
Wifi booster. If you have two and point them at each other line-of-sight you can double the distance to a few miles.

I use one for my laptop and have it on a large tripod.
>>
>>1105448
So what is a good reflector? I also have one satellite dish. We covered it with aluminium foil with the kids but couldn't get any insane heats. I believe it was too wrinkly, the foil I mean. The dish is something around 1,5m^2 I believe so even here up north one should get some serious heat...
>>
>>1105323
slap a usb wifi adapter and scan for open wifi connections. Get a wifi adapter with monitoring mode and hack wifi connections and other shit.
>>
>>1105323
Plug some headphones into it, attach a handle to it and point it at people across the street, you now have your own secret mobile listening device. Don't forget to paint it black first though.
>>
>>1105573
Some was really wrong if foil didn't work. Even if it was wrinkled up it would still work really well.
>>
>>1105323
Attach a large strap across it, sling dish across your back for great mutant turtle hardshell defence but that's not all, when it rains simply place the dish on your head to protect yourself from getting wet but that's not all, if the rains are very heavy causing severe flooding simply use the dish as a make shift raft. The possibilities are endless.
>>
>>1105323
Have a load of dishes installed on your front lawn and on your roof. Inside your house have a bank of old crt TV's and old stereo equipment. Tell your neighbours your the guy government agents turn to when they're stuck on a case.
>>
Get into the exciting world of amateur radio and make your own radar.
http://members.inode.at/576265/rainradar.htm
>>
find an old satellite dish, like a 12 footer.

old satellites used a 4 watt per square foot signal, which is why they were so big

digital satellite signals are 20 watt per square foot, which is why the dish can be 2 feet.

>replace horn on old 12 foot orbitron with rectenna
>point at either a directTV or dish network satellite
>laugh as you now have free power

that's 2262 watts focused, even capturing 25% you still get well over 500 watts of free energy

my father used to sell and install satellite dishes in the 80's and early 90's as a side business. the energy we get bombarded with is scary shit and people wonder why skin cancer has been on the rise, ozone hole is healing yet when you step outside your basically being microwaved at 2% what the average microwave puts out.
>>
>>1105779
Assuming you aren't talking out of your ass, how would one go about converting satellite signal to something that could decrease an electric bill.

It sounds like you are full of it, but I don't know enough about satellite dishes to dispute it.
>>
>>1105796
rectenna, google is your friend

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rectenna

i'm not talking out my ass about watts per square foot, shits scary if you what the numbers mean.
>>
>>1105330
>>
>>1105779
Bitches don't know bout my inverse square law
>>
>>1105323
If it's big enough, you can connect it to a FTA (Free-To-Air) satellite receiver and watch free TV legally.

You can find some weird shit on FTA satellites and you've already got the most expensive part of it.

Galaxy 19 is the best sat for North America.
>>
>>1105779
>>1105796
>>1105800
Just use mirrors or reflective foil/tape and turn it into a solar furnace. 12 feet diameter circle receives about 11,300 watts of solar energy (100 watts per square foot). You can direct that to a steam engine/Stirling engine to create electric. There will be a lot of losses along the system, but you'll have a shit load more from that than from sat radio signals.
>>
>>1105323
Rob them and take them down the municipal waste.
>>
>>1105988
true, but collecting radio signals is safer and cheaper

a 2'x3' freznel lens can melt concrete. the amount of water flowing though what ever all that light is focused on would be tremendous just to keep it from melting. just building a system to keep it it from melting would cost a lot.

a lot would also depend on how you make the dish reflective, if you used 1sq foot mirrors, the focal point would be 1sq foot but 113 more powerful than normal sunlight in a perfect system. if each mirror was 1sq inch it would be 16,285.958 times more powerful than normal sunlight (144sq inches in 1sq foot multiplied by 113.097) with a focal point of one square inch.

just imagine a bird or insect flying through the focal point

even with the old 4 watt signals, when focused it was powerful enough to fry a digital watch as well as burn skin.
>>
>>1105976
Not OP, but I was wondering about doing this. Is there a receiver that you would recommend? Is a little direct TV dish enough to receive these satellite signals? Anything I should know about encryption? Any good apps for locating satellites? What are some of your favorite channels?
>>
>>1105779
>cancer
>non-ionizing radiation
it takes a special kind of stupid to make you, kiddo
>>
>>1105330
fpbp
>>
File: PD plants.jpg (106KB, 772x600px) Image search: [Google]
PD plants.jpg
106KB, 772x600px
>>1106483
Those systems already exist and are not difficult to make.
>>
>>1105330
Heh
>>
>>1106649
yeah i know, they melt salts and use that to generate steam and run it through a turbine

its expensive though
>>
>>1107096
>its expensive though

gtfo if /diy/ rite noa

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eQMe_8fp4UI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iHPhtWt6IhQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5pdqDQwehlk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jNLZRdJ2hUU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bwazXoqULKA
>>
>>1107096
Those are actually focusing light onto panels.
>>
File: 1483236409750.png (960KB, 1440x2224px) Image search: [Google]
1483236409750.png
960KB, 1440x2224px
>>1107096
Stirling Engines are not steam engines.

>tfw this image form /tv/ is relevant
>>
>>1105323
They make nice toy shields. just cut of the rim, attach a handle and paint. It makes little nephews happy, and their moms not so, especially if you include a toy sword.
>>
>>1105654
Gosh darn. It might be that the focal point isn't spot on on it. It's lying out there so I might just need to try again?
>>
>>1107144
i'm not talking about a 2-3 foot parabolic mirror, i was talking about a 12 foot parabolic mirror with a 1 square inch focal point.

>>1107228
i never said they were steam engines

i know what a sterling engine is. also a steam engine and a steam turbine are two completely different things.

i also know that every time you convert one form of energy into another there is a loss

my previous post of using a rectenna consisting of electrical components is far cheaper, unless someone else paid for it and gave it to you.

it works just like rectifying AC into DC, you take the wave form and rectify it and end up with DC electricity, from there you can turn in back into AC and feed it back into the grid (the reason being is the wave form is not at 60hz, plus interference would mess it up as well)

i can make either a sterling engine or a steam turbine and have the know how to make it work using sunlight, but i also know a 12 foot dish with a rectenna pointed at a 20 watt per square foot signal would pay for itself sooner than harvesting 5 times the energy from the sun. those satellites are in stationary orbits, so no tracking system needed.

my tool box consists of more than a hammer
>>
>>1107314
but, that is all wrong for the most part,kid
>>
>>1107162
>onto panels
You mean photovoltaic panels? They are not. Pv/solar panels already have issues overheating at completely normal light concentrations. Concentrating light on them wouldn't be of any benefit unless you were in Siberia.

No, they are part of a solar thermal setup. They are either boiling water or making a salt battery liquid.
>>
>>1105323
Build your own radio telescope

http://www.mikebrownsplanets.com/2013/06/summer-project-build-radio-telescope-at.html
Thread posts: 41
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.