[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

My gift for Christmas. You fellas?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 10

File: Socket Set - Stanley.png (236KB, 597x601px) Image search: [Google]
Socket Set - Stanley.png
236KB, 597x601px
My gift for Christmas. You fellas?
>>
Some crapsman wrenches. cant complain about what you get for free though
>>
>>1105164
>You fellas?
I got a nice Stanley bench planner.
Still learning how to use it, any tips?
>>
Is that the negro set?
>>
>>1105207
No it's the can't-find-it-in-a-dimly-lit-garage set.
>>
>>1105164
Kershaw knife, iso tip soldering iron, college tuition for my two kids and some socks.

Bretty gud
>>
>>1105186
>I got a nice Stanley bench planner.
So one made before 1962? There hasn't been a nice Stanley plane made since then.

If it's a new one you will need to condition it. The sole won't be flat, it won't be properly adjusted from the factory, and the iron won't be sharp. Fix those things.
>>
I got a chocolate bar
>>
>>1105235
>There hasn't been a nice Stanley plane made since then.

Of course, the SweetHearts simply dont exist now do they?
>>
>>1105247
They aren't as since as their real Sweet Hearts. Stanley used to have a real quality control department that made sure their tools were ready to use the moment you received them. A real quality plane needs, at most, a bit of an edge put on the iron when it comes from the factory. These days, unless you mortgage your house and get one from Lie-Nielsen it's going to need work.

The new Sweethearts aren't bad tools. Unless you get a dud, which can happen to anyone, they are solid. They just need some work before they are operating to their full potential.

Or you could get a used, old Stanley from an estate sale for $20 and use the $100 you saved to do something else.
>>
>>1105222
lol fuck you, but i like your trips
>>
>>1105329
>tools from the 50s had very good quality control meme
>>
Got a 110 punchdown tool... It'll be nice to have my own instead of using the shitty one the office provides.
>>
>>1105423
The original Sweethearts are from the 1919-1932 IIRC.
>>
>>1105423
Every time this.

>Old tools were all great because they are still around
Not
>Old tools had the same overall quality as new tools but only the best examples exist because the shitty ones broke and were disposed of

I got: A pen lathe, a 13" planer, a Fein oscillating multi-tool, carbide lathe tools, and venison.
>>
File: dewalt.jpg (21KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
dewalt.jpg
21KB, 400x400px
only tool I got this xmas
dewalt palm sander
variable speed bby
>>
>>1105164
just small stuf
pliers set from lidl (Powerfix Profi Punch Pliers Set - pic) and LED Headlight (EMOS)
>>
File: 20161228_142147.jpg (1MB, 2560x1440px) Image search: [Google]
20161228_142147.jpg
1MB, 2560x1440px
I'm pretty happy
>>
>>1105514
So, what you are saying is, I should be buying old tools because only the good ones are left?
>>
>>1105514
Forgive me for poor english, but:
You misunderstand the concept of load and operating cycle. Old tools are actually capable of much more than what is asked from them, therefore wear is often insignificant from use. Look at electrical motors for example. There's a 1/4 hp motor made in 1960 and one made earlier this year. The differences you may see is plastic in places where not much strength is needed on the new one, bearings may actually be better in the newer one. But when you look at the windings, and general construction, the 1960's motor has thicker windings, a beefier commutator, larger (and heavier, which isn't always a good thing) connectors, and such. The new motor can only give you 1/4hp for 30 minutes or so. The older one can go indefinitely. It's all about how hard they're driven. Does this make sense, yes?
>>
File: PaintedMotor.jpg (2MB, 2048x1536px) Image search: [Google]
PaintedMotor.jpg
2MB, 2048x1536px
>>1105668
Hit the nail on the head. This is a Westinghouse motor from 1926 that I 'rebuilt'. It was working but I figured there was no way didn't need internal work. Sure enough, I found problems. It was full of dried out gummy oil. Pounds of it. It took hours to scrape the stuff out. The keys for the keyway were chewed up. The paint, of which there were 4 layers, was peeling and some areas were rusting. I figured the brushes and bearings could also use replacement.

Nope. The bearings are plain bearings. You keep them oiled and they last forever. The brushes had seen some use but since they are only used during startup and not run they still had plenty of life left. The thing weighs a lot more than a modern motor and you can't mount it vertically but it is rated for continuous operations at 100% load and a 40-degree temp rise. It is already older than any living member of my family and will probably outlive me. It currently runs a wood lathe.
>>
>>1105659
Pretty much, or the ones that never saw any use. They're almost always worse than new comparable tools though.

People just do false comparisons, you can't compare a flagship commercial grade tool to an entry level consumer tool.

>>1105668
Yeah, those 1920s motorized hand planes were amazing. New ones are total shit.

You are confusing some design aspects as "features" when they were just necessities. The parts were beefier because they had to be, they didn't have plastic because plastic technologies weren't at the same level as they are today.

You are also comparing a continuous duty motor with a motor with a low duty cycle. I own tools that have a 100% duty cycle. They can be run 24/7 with no noticeable reduction in power or excessive heat output.
>>
>>1105668
Perfect sense and your English is excellent.
>>
>>1105668
This is a bunch of horse shit.

First off you dont understand duty cycles.
Second off people used to pay a LOT more money for their tools than we do today.

If I buy a quality made 100% duty cycle motor today, its going to be every bit as reliable as one from the 60s.
People like to talk about how much better tools were made back then.

Go and look. In a 60s sears catalog you would pay 25$ for a cheap palm sander. Thats 200$ in todays money.

They fact you want to compare a palm sander today that I can get at walmart for 20$ vs one that is worth 200$ in todays money shows the disconnect people have.

That 200$ craftsman table saw that everyones grandpa had?
Thats 1600$ in todays money.

Peoples average income in 1960 was less than $6000.
People bought higher quality things back then, and they spent a lot more for them. And they lasted.
That doesnt mean that high quality stuff doesnt exist now, and that somehow the stuff was better that it is now.
>>
>>1105712
>People just do false comparisons, you can't compare a flagship commercial grade tool to an entry level consumer tool.

Its hard because their grandfather will give them an old table saw for free. Then they will walk through lowes and wonder why a $100 table saw looks like shit compared to it.

Ignore the fact that the $100 table saw at lowes is literally the equivalent price of $12 in 1960s money.
>>
>>1105765
This.

The crux of the issue is accessibility; pro grade tools come at a premium, but there is no denying you get what you pay for. However, you can find older tools at garage sales and such for pennies on the dollar that are much more robust than what you would find in the hardware megamart today and not need to upgrade for quite some time because of that fact.
>>
>>1105702
Where to aquire stuff like this?
>>
File: IMG_4743.jpg (1MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4743.jpg
1MB, 3264x2448px
I got some Husky cabinets, a table, and a tool box.
>>
>>1105712
Sure you can. I can either buy some entry level piece of shit from China drill press for $80 or I can buy a 1960's Rockwell Delta used for $50. Comparison made. That is call living life in the real world. It's like saying I can't compare a dresser made out of real wood and dovetails that I got at a yard sale for $40 to some piece of shit from Ikea that costs $150. I make those comparisons every day. The only difference is you generally can't buy used stuff at the drop of a hat from your swivel chair. If you want quality tools and you want to pay a sane price then you just have to dig for it a little.

>plastic technologies weren't at the same level as they are today.
Plastic was ready for primetime long before it started to appear on tools. It only came about because it was a cost cutting measure. Disston introduced plastic handles on their saws back in the 30's but people didn't like them. So, they kept using wood on most of their saws... until they got bought out by HK Porter in the 50's and they went on a cost cutting spree. Look what happened to Delta when their parent company merged into Rockwell international. Or what happened to Yankee screwdrivers after Stanley bought them. You see stories like that over and over in the tool work. They did it to cut costs. That was always why.

>Second off people used to pay a LOT more money for their tools than we do today.
Because they were better tools. Which is why its better to get them used then pay for shit tier tools new.

>If I buy a quality made 100% duty cycle motor today, its going to be every bit as reliable as one from the 60s.
I don't disagree. If I built a house out of 100% brick it would be a lot better than one built out of pine and OSB. Generally, people don't do that much anymore, though.

>>1105790
This guy gets it.

>>1105794
I got it on Craig's List
>>
>>1106270
>The only difference is you generally can't buy used stuff at the drop of a hat from your swivel chair. If you want quality tools and you want to pay a sane price then you just have to dig for it a little.

Exactly, my time is worth money. I run a cabinetry business. I don't have time to wait for lightning to strike. Finding good quality contractor grade tools is largely a myth. If a woodworking business with quality tools goes out of business, they auction the stuff off and it goes for market value, not on craigslist for a massive loss.

>Plastic was ready for primetime long before it started to appear on tools. It only came about because it was a cost cutting measure. Disston introduced plastic handles on their saws back in the 30's but people didn't like them. So, they kept using wood on most of their saws... until they got bought out by HK Porter in the 50's and they went on a cost cutting spree. Look what happened to Delta when their parent company merged into Rockwell international. Or what happened to Yankee screwdrivers after Stanley bought them. You see stories like that over and over in the tool work. They did it to cut costs. That was always why.

Plastics in the 20s and 30s were not a cost cutting measure, wood was an order of magnitude cheaper. Plastics today can hardly be compared to the phenolics and cellulose plastics of the the 30s.

>Because they were better tools. Which is why its better to get them used then pay for shit tier tools new.

No, they weren't. Again if you compare any modern top quality tool to any top quality tool of yesteryear, the new tool will always win. It is also a myth that "there were no bad tools" back in the day.

>>1106270
>Generally, people don't do that much anymore, though.

People do it it now more than ever. It wasn't done that often historically in the US because people didn't ship building materials, you used what was local, which is trees.

>>1105757
This guy gets it.
>>
File: Capture.png (2MB, 792x1032px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
2MB, 792x1032px
>>1106284
> Finding good quality contractor grade tools is largely a myth.
Any given Sunday there are three Unisaws for sale here on CL for under $800. Same deal with shapers, but they are generally under $500 and sometimes include many parts. If I ever have enough space for a planer I no doubt will be able to find one in short order

>they auction the stuff off and it goes for market value, not on craigslist for a massive loss.
I hit up local auctions all the time too. I get tons of tools and tooling for next to nothing. I bought a Kennedy machinist chest full of sockets for $8 once.

>Plastics in the 20s and 30s were not a cost cutting measure,
Read what I said again. They went to plastic in the 50's. The big problem they had with wood was the labor, not the materials cost. Old Disston saws had beautiful handles but they took a lot of work to make. Once Porter bought them up they went to stamped plastic because it required a lot less labor. Stanley did the same thing with Yankee screwdrivers. They ditched the nice wooden ones for plastic to cut labor costs.

>Again if you compare any modern top quality tool to any top quality tool of yesteryear, the new tool will always win.
Prove it. I have a garage full of very nice vintage tools and motors. They are all great quality. You have a bunch of words you have completely failed to back up with anything solid. "Mah opinions" doesn't hold up. They especially wouldn't hold up on price. Even accounting for inflation you would have to spend hundreds if not thousands more to buy a modern tool of similar quality.

In 1956 DeWalt sold their top of the line 10" radial with a 3-phase motor for $398. That is $3,531. A similar saw from the Original Saw Co. starts at $4.100. It's the same design.
In 1955 a fully equipt Delta Unisaw was $272, or $2,454 today. A similar machine, with plastic all over it, is still more expensive at around $2,549.

> It is also a myth that "there were no bad tools" back in the day.
I never said that.
>>
>>1106325
>You have a bunch of words you have completely failed to back up with anything solid. "Mah opinions" doesn't hold up

Yet the garage sailing bargain hunter who has said he would never pay the price of high quality new tools somehow is the authority on tools?
Never bought or used proper high quality modern tools yet you expect us to listen to your opinions?

kek
>>
>>1106361
Son, you know about as much about me as the female anatomy. That is to say, you got a bleary-eye look at a cooch probably about 14 years ago when you fell out the back of your mom's caboose. What are you even doing on this Tibetan throat singing forum anyway?

>Never bought or used proper high quality modern tools
Says who? You? We're already established you are a no-nothing child or questionable intelligence and sub-standard education. See my high-quality sources a few lines up. You know, tearing down a straw man is easy and fun! I can see why you like doing it.

>yet you expect us to listen to your opinions?
I've used plenty of modern tools. I used to work for a guy who sold and serviced tools. He was a dealer and service center for a half dozen modern tool companies (selling tools under about a dozen different brands) plus a former dealer and service center for a dozen more tools that have disappeared from the market. I've seen all types, inside and out. I can tell you, based on my own experience and the experience of the guy that mentored me (who had been in the tool business since the late 50's), modern power tools are not as duribly built, easily serviced or as high quality as older tools for the price.

Hand tools are another story. We sold Wright, Blackhawk, Channellock, and Starrett and they were all fantastic up to the day he retired. It is surprisingly easy to find USA made hand tools that are still good at a reasonable price. You just won't find shop tools that can claim the same.
>>
>>1106367
>I worked a minimum wage job replacing switches in dewalt cordless drills! (just as me, ive only spouted it out in countless threads before!)
>therefore I know all about proper tool brands I have never touched that have their own service center!

Your argument from authority game sure is strong.
>>
>>1105164
>you fellas
>fellas
>>
>>1106372
With DeWalt hand tools its was 60/40 broken triggers ('cause their triggers are crap) and fubar'd chucks. Their motors are decent. The few B&D tools we got through that were newer were generally cooked motors. Most people didn't bother trying to fix a B&D branded tool made after the 80's though. For their older tools it was almost always worn out brushes, bearings or power cords. So, long use wear and tear stuff. I've seen the insides of them all and am intimately familiar with every kind of service worth doing on most power tools. But, hey, make up any stories you want to make yourself feel better.
>>
Klein electricians knife
Klein 2 in 1 rapi-drive
Home depot gift card $50
>>
>>1105164
Dremel a heat gun and a jigsaw
Made an a engagement ring out of a penny used the dremel to polish it.
She said yes.
>>
File: IMG_1010.jpg (2MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1010.jpg
2MB, 4032x3024px
$500 value firepit made from scratch by my father-in-law, and a $175 gift card to Home Depot. Used it towards a Husky 30 gallon 175 psi air compressor shit is legit. Pic looks weird cuz of HDR but oh well
>>
File: IMG_1077.jpg (500KB, 1242x1619px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1077.jpg
500KB, 1242x1619px
>>1106936
Stupid mobile upload bs
>pro tip: if you have an iPhone and your pics upload sideways, take a screenshot of the pic and upload the screenshot rather than the original pic
Thread posts: 40
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.