[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

what happens to my amp/awg calculations when I want to run 2

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 2

File: 1460219238694.jpg (17KB, 640x406px) Image search: [Google]
1460219238694.jpg
17KB, 640x406px
what happens to my amp/awg calculations when I want to run 2 lights in series? do I need to use the same / double the awg wires? Is is best to just run two relays to the same switch?

electricity is confusing to me.
>>
House lighbulbs aren't meant to run in series. You're splitting the voltage each of them gets (Kirchoff's voltage law). Incandescent bulbs are pretty much resistors, so giving them half the voltage means they'll draw half the current and appear half as bright. Incandescent, LED, etc are a bit more complicated and probably won't turn on at all.
>>
You're not going to find a satisfactory result with series, use parallel
>>
>>1104696
>giving them half the voltage means they'll draw half the current and appear half as bright
There a bunch of nonlinear effects that mess that up. Tungsten resistance increases as it gets hotter, so power consumption is roughly proportional to V^1.6. Blackbody radiation of an incandescent bulb shifts its spectrum to emit more light in the range human eyes are sensitive to as temperature increases. Halving the voltage would reduce usable light by roughly a factor of ten.
>>
>what happens to my amp/awg calculations
Assuming you're talking about mains voltage
>2 lights in series?
As already said, dont do this. Use parallel
>do I need to use the same / double the awg wires?
With two in parallel, amps double. choose awg by amps
>Is is best to just run two relays to the same switch?
???
A standard switch should run a couple lights just fine.

The only time you'd want to use lights in series is if the voltage was too high for a single light (like single LED's)

2 things in series:
The resistance is double
The Voltage at each load is half
The current is half
With Voltage and Current cut in half, the power is reduced by a factor of 4 (not counting for the effect mentioned here >>1105283 )

2 things in parallel
each load is basically independant
Total current doubles
>>
File: happy new year.png (193KB, 470x517px) Image search: [Google]
happy new year.png
193KB, 470x517px
>2017
Thread posts: 6
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.