[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Books on mechanical (e.g. steel) object design

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 3

File: mechanical-7[1].jpg (196KB, 1330x867px) Image search: [Google]
mechanical-7[1].jpg
196KB, 1330x867px
Dear /diy/, I would like to create a formidable pneumatic launcher as a first foray into design. Disclaimer: the topic complies with the board rules by not discussing weapon-specific solutions. The initial design would also be rather simple due to lack of experience.

I am looking for a resource on machine/component/object design. There are many books on mechanical design which feature loads of cross-sections of particular design details, such as twenty diagrams showing how to screw two plates together. That's not quite what I'm looking for, but would highly appreciate those regardless.

What I'm looking for is a book that explains the rationale behind choices in mechanical design (note that the structural strength of my construction is a second-rate issue here). I would like a book equivalent of an august university teacher of yore, enriching his talk with remarks/anecdotes stemming on his own experience as a constructor. Or a grandfather's general explanation of when and how to employ a particular way of securing the mutual position of two objects, or how to ensure that a connection is properly sealed. "So you see, we are going for this kind of thing, so this is one way that we can do it".

I am especially concerned with fixed joints and sealing.

I can understand technical drawings to a certain degree.
>>
File: shigley digley dont.jpg (95KB, 784x1000px) Image search: [Google]
shigley digley dont.jpg
95KB, 784x1000px
>>1104641
yeah, you aren't going to find a machine design book like that.
>>
You're going to see those rule-of-thumb designs choices by studying the equation that governs the phenomenon you're interested in. For example, by looking at the equations for a cylindrical thin-wall pressure vessel, you can see that the longitudinal stress will be half of the hoop stress.
Overall, you're going to need to learn some statics (basic mechanics of forces) and mechanics of materials (applying statics to ideal material ) to get the fundamentals first.
>>
Who gives a shit about all that, just over-build the shit out of it and it won't break.
>>
Pneumatic launchers are dead simple and piss easy.

t. Pneumatic spudgunner.
>>
>>1104644
With all respect, I refuse to believe that mechanical engineering, a trade in formal existence before the birth of Christ and one in which semi-amateur tinkerers are in abundance has less friendly lecture than software engineering, a fledgling profession emergent in the 50s. It's you guys who are supposed to be bros with wrenches.

I appreciate the attached book.

>>1104904
I can calculate stress, I want to learn approaches to functional design.

This following book looks promising:
https://www.amazon.com/Fasteners-Plumbing-Handbook-Motorbooks-Workshop/dp/0879384069

Does anyone happen to have it in their library?
>>
>>1105055
What areas are you specifically interested in? Shapes and curvature for design of fluid flow? Geometries to reduce corrosion? Appropriate skin reinforcement design? Ergonomic trigger and interface design?

There is much knowledge on here, but we cannot help if you don't know what you want to know.
>>
>>1104641
I have a book similar to what you described, but it's in Dutch. I don't know if there's an equivalent in English or whatever your native language is.

ISBN 9789039526941
>>
File: holy trinity.jpg (168KB, 974x498px) Image search: [Google]
holy trinity.jpg
168KB, 974x498px
>>1105055
bro, nobody really started writing their shit down till newton. our modern understanding of mechanics is attributed to like 5 guys, all of whom were born within the last 500 years.

more importantly, mechanical design is highly empirical. you would not believe the volume of tables and lookups that are utilized. those lame compendiums of

>twenty diagrams showing how to screw two plates together

is why engineers get paid to do what they do. it sucks ass. the closest kind of conversational guide is going to be an article in one of the many engineering journals and magazines.

but man, just learn how to use the tables and charts. the intricacies of sealing flange design is a subject that guys build masters thesis off of.
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.