[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

small crafts thread . i am a carpenter with limited free time

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 6

File: 2016-12-23 17.30.45.jpg (3MB, 4160x3120px) Image search: [Google]
2016-12-23 17.30.45.jpg
3MB, 4160x3120px
small crafts thread .
i am a carpenter with limited free time and i like to take on small projects.
current one is a box entierly out of wood .
i started with the hinges since the rest is pretty straight forward.
first time doing wooden hinges so i did a simple hinge to see what problems i run into . ended up doing a lot of cuts by hand cause i didnt think forward . next one should be better.
wondering about grain directions . i stress tested this one and it broke predictably ( will post pics).
wondering if making the grain go 90° to this would make it any stronger.

post small crafts and questions about them.
>>
File: 2016-12-26 18.19.26.jpg (3MB, 3120x4160px) Image search: [Google]
2016-12-26 18.19.26.jpg
3MB, 3120x4160px
after breaking it.
>>
File: 2016-12-26 18.33.55.jpg (3MB, 4160x3120px) Image search: [Google]
2016-12-26 18.33.55.jpg
3MB, 4160x3120px
also made this phone stand that i will varnish tomorrow.
>>
>>1104443
>make wooden version of steel parts
>broke
>wonder if grain direction

no

the whole thing is wrong
>>
>>1104455
how fucking helpful.
im talking about increasing the strength . i never said i am trying to make something as strong as metal. its not a toolbox im making.
>>
>>1104446
What you'd want for something like hinges is Lignum Vitae or Verawood, both of those can take a lot of lateral strength and have some self oiling properties which would help with the function of the moving parts.
Problem is those are very rarely available any more.
Kingwood, Honduras Rosewood, Katalox and Cocobolo would also work decently, Ebonies might, but they tend to be a little more brittle.
>>
>>1104456
>1/4 inch of wood
you can't increase what is not there you fucking dickhead go fuck a tree you fucking shit matthias wannabe you and your fucking grain structure on a quarter inch cross section piece of wood you might as well ask how to make a rocket out of wood which way do i fucking stack the wood

fucking grain structure you fucking moron
>>
>>1104446
I would try stacking wood like plywood. Having the grain criss cross each other.
>>
>>1104470
knowing it took time off of your useless life to write that makes me happy ... please continue.
>>
>>1104491
for a peace so small it would still manage to split at the szame grain layer.

>>1104470
i presume you are not going to give actual input ?
chalange yourself sometimes . might make your brain advance past the stage of a 6 year old.
>>
It looks to me like it'd be fine if you just added another knuckle to the hinge, so it'd be 2 x 2 instead of 1 x 2. Regardless I prefer using leather straps as hinges as they appear more rustic/aesthetic and have superior durability imo.
>>
>>1104500
plan is to use nothing but wood, but i am interested.
are they not flimzy ? or is there just a small point where they fold ?
>>
>>1104494
>actual input
like what? use duct tape? stop being a retard and use something other than quarter inch wood? how about you use an actual hinge and stop acting like a retard who is trying to do something impossible but cant accept anyone telling him you cant? how about you put some wood into that quarter inch brain of yours to make it work better? what a fucking retard, fucking six year old, fuck your quarter inch you stupid fuck

>>1104492
ok
>>
>>1104515
This guy didn't get what he wanted for Christmas.
>>
File: how_mad.jpg (34KB, 332x500px) Image search: [Google]
how_mad.jpg
34KB, 332x500px
>>1104470
>>
>>1104443
Do a more complex hinge 3 and 2.
That will cut down the torsional load.
But nothing short of laminating will solve that problem anon.

I have seen laminated structures like that though. Very thin slices of wood, steamed and formed so it looped back on itself.

The old stuff I have uses brass inserts.
>>
File: hinge.jpg (284KB, 853x568px) Image search: [Google]
hinge.jpg
284KB, 853x568px
>>1104455
>>1104456
The point is that you're using wood to replicate the form of a metal hinge. Metals are isotropic and strong in tension in every direction while wood is highly anisotropic. Unless you make the hinge unreasonably huge, you'll need an entirely different design if you want decent strength. Either build knuckles along the entire edges of the pieces to be joined, or use stout assemblies like pic related as close to the edges as practical.
>>
>>1104443
For that kind of hinge I don't think grain direction is going to make a difference. Maybe glue a sheet of wood, think thin like a shaving from a planer, across the hinge . It will technically be a continuous grain then and be stronger.
>>
File: Cantilevered desk work table2.webm (3MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Cantilevered desk work table2.webm
3MB, 1920x1080px
>>1104470
>matthias wannabe

OP did you try hopping ontop of it
>>
>>1104443
Rob Cosman makes an interesting "wooden" hinge. it has a wire core that doesn't show. don't know if that meets your criteria of 'entirely'
>>
>>1104443
>>1105108
me again - you could also try elm for the hinge - it's got like an interwoven grain almost, so doesn't split very easily. Might help with the specific break you had.
>>
Hi, anons. I want to try creating some small figures, but dont know how to start... So, i have several questions.
1. What instruments am i needed to start with?
2. How to choose wood?
3. Any guides for noob wood worker.
Thread posts: 22
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.