[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How many of you actually have friends interested in what you

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 86
Thread images: 14

How many of you actually have friends interested in what you do?
>only 21 running my own business in Australia
>I basically have a fully equipped machine shop, two large manual milling machines, big 3 ton English DSG toolmakers lathe three phrase welders etc
>only a fraction of my friends do anything /diy/ related and the ones that do mainly just visit my workshop to borrow my hoist when they do their own oil changes/service their cars.
>How do I meet people interested in machining?
>picture is my new soviet universal milling machine
>>
>How do I meet people interested in machining
>only 21 running my own business

youre like the home schooled version of a machinist , i met all mine through work or trade school

model engineer groups are pretty avid machinists and do a lot of diy toos/machines, and they probably arent all pedophiles
>>
>>1104314

Grandfather was a RAF fitter and turner that taught me everything up until he died, did an apprenticeship for three years which was alright aside from the stress and the fact that the only tafe that still did advanced machining was in a different state. ended up leaving a year before i finished my time and just working for myself.

>actually tried looking for local hobby groups but google didnt really help
>>
Are you hiring?
>>
>>1104341
its pretty much just me machining and my room mate doing any welding jobs, only time I'd ever need another machinist in the near future is when ever the next solar farm goes ahead.
I make all the different size drive heads that actually put the piles in the ground for a local company
>>
>>1104304
Kudos to you anon.
I have had a look around for machinery (WA) and a fairly capable shop would have been a significant capital investment, not to mention very market dependant.
>>
>>1104304
I'm in a similar but somewhat opposite position. I want to get into more /diy/ stuff but have no workshop or any friends that are into that kind of thing.
Also, I'm over in WA now and all my family (dad, grandfather, uncles) who have equipment live over east.
Probably going to join one of those men 'shed' groups I reckon.
>>
>>1104304
Pretty much none of my friends have any occupational or hobby skills like mine or any real interest in learning about them.
We have shared interests in other things which is kind of cool I guess
>>
>>1104304
are you aussie50?
>>
>>1104374
its painful to think about how much I've spent to get to this point and how much i still need to spend to get to a point where I'm happy with the shop.

>>1104386
I used to go to a woodworking mens shed every thursday night for a woodturning class. Was really relaxing, mostly nice elderly people and $7 for the night. if there's one in your area they're usually pretty great and most of the seniors there tend to shower you with free tools and materials if you take the time to get to know them.

>>1104407
i just checked out his channel and god that was a good laugh, I'm on the goldcoast, my shops in burleigh in the industrial estate.
>>
File: 1396527072404.jpg (26KB, 176x184px) Image search: [Google]
1396527072404.jpg
26KB, 176x184px
>be welder
>friends only interested in it when they think they can get shit for free or very cheap
>>
>>1104439
This
>can you just weld my rusted and fucked exhaust back together real quick, it'll surely only take you 15 minutes tops anon
>>
>>1104304
Visit the Practical Machinist forums. Your advancement is exceptional for your age or any age. PM is a wonderful resource and your perspective could add useful content. Check the shop management section in particular, but it's all very, very good.
>>
>>1104510
http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/shop-management-and-owner-issues/
>>
>>1104314
Fuckit OP. Go tahead like 1 class at a trade school and make some friends. Dick off in class "meh, I'll just finish it in my shop this weekend." But anon u need a mark3 45 ton lathe. "I know, I got one." There. Now u have a club started
>>
>>1104304
Join a guild or local organization.

If your so inclined. Teach classes on the weekend. And grow your group.
>>
>>1104412
I am in kansas. A buddy and me were thinking of contacting the local mill and trying to start some sort of woodworking club. Realistically we could just start with a dirt floor shop and some tools for now. Would be nice
>>
>>1104412
>burleigh in the industrial estate

That'd be near the old Shed 5 wouldn't it?
>>
>>1104603
hahah god that brings back some cringe worthy memories and I'm the industrial estate across from that one near Quinneys pies
>>
>>1104386
>those men 'shed' groups

We get some of those guys come in at work. They don't seem to understand we are trying to make a dollar to eat. Its frustrating because they talk all day and want everything for nothing. I wish I could do that but it doesn't pay the bills.
>>
>>1104439
This is also why you should never own a truck, van or ute
>So bro, maaate, can you help me move house?

And if you do, don't tell anyone about it
>>
>>1104304
Find some bikers to teach building full auto guns. I bet they'll become friends with you and show an interest in your shop.
>>
Do you have a website or anything to order parts from?
>>
>>1104792
The business's i already do work for email me prints but usually people just come in off the street with beer and we work something out on autodesk inventor. I really do need to get my shit sorted out though in terms of a website
>>
>>1104304
Where abouts are you, I'm an ausfag and love making and fixing things, mechanic by trade
>>
>>1104859
Fuck just saw you've said already, I'm also on the goldy, and actually need some spacers machined up for a diff conversion, are you working tomorrow?
>>
>>1104780
Dats some wisdom, bro.

I'm moving someone today. Been at it since yesterday. At least I'm getting like $100 per load to do it. At least gas and food is paid.
>>
>>1104859
>>1104860
2/29 taree street, burleigh heads. I have some actuator arms to finish off in the morning but after that i should be free. my supplier is closed till the 9th but i have a fare bit of scrap lying around the place. approx dimensions?
>>
>>1104412
Don't worry annon if your business is still in not making a profit yet limbo, it takes a while.
Besides this attitude>>1104866, should get you far in spades.
Keep at it.
>>
>>1104304
i got excited because I thought this was robotic arm dildo thread. did that guy die?
>>
>>1104304
not really. I disassembled a telephoto lens i got really cheaply and cleaned it. had it out for christmas family reunion. buttmad fags all day telling me i was compensating and oh it only has an F-stop of 5. find me a fucking 600mm american made telephoto for less than $10k u faggot shitty family.
>>
>>1104866
going to have to turn my office into a saferoom if you're gonna give out the address on 4chin, jewcus
>>
>>1104896
haha its on the company Facebook page you autist, how else are people going to find the shop.
>>
>>1104866
150mm od approx 13mm thick, it's fairly basic.
>>
>>1105109
I have some 10mm mild steel plate that I could cut it out of but the biggest round billet I can find is 200mm aluminum. If it can be aluminum I might be able to get some from shapes in currumbin if they're open
>>
>>1104887
Bullshit there are no American made optics
>>
>>1104780
That's fixed by not having any friends
>>
>>1105123
Cool, I'll try drop by sometime this week.
>>
File: slide-86.jpg (72KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
slide-86.jpg
72KB, 800x600px
>>1104855
>The business's i already do work for email me prints but usually people just come in off the street with beer and we work something out on autodesk inventor. I really do need to get my shit sorted out though in terms of a website
Do you know to make motor laminations like these? I need to find a way to make low volume prototypes.
>>
>>1105322
>stack the material like a deck of cards
>bolt together
>wire EDM the shape

if you cant stamp it, wire it
this is how we do low volume stamping prototypes

not-op
>>
>>1105141
I dot know about camera optics, but optics in general are one of the few industries America still does big time.
>>
File: lathe.png (495KB, 1051x517px) Image search: [Google]
lathe.png
495KB, 1051x517px
is 900 too much to pay for this lathe?
>>
>>1105550
FIRM
>>
>>1105550
depends on the tooling
>>
>>1104304
>im 26 and a complete fucking failure of a human being.

Holy shit man, whats it like to have your life sorted out?

Also, that is one sexy fucking beast of a machine.
>>
>>1104304
can i come work for you jesus fuck nice machines
>>
>>1104304
>>1105676

where in aus? will also work for you
>>
>>1105550
Do not pay that much for it if it doesn't come with a complete set of change gears. Those can cost 100 dollars or more.
>>
>>1104304
my frinds love me cause i'm the only young machinist in town.
I'm 23, i just bought my first Lathe after 8 years working in other shops.
Starting my own bussiness as soon as the lathe arrives in my home
>>
>>1105676
>>1105693
You can come over and drink piss plus make cool shit but I don't have enough work on right now to employ anyone. Address is in the thread
>>
File: IMG20161207085108.jpg (3MB, 4160x3120px) Image search: [Google]
IMG20161207085108.jpg
3MB, 4160x3120px
>>1105664
My lathe is prettier than the mill and I only have my life sorted out because I'm probs massively autistic.
>>
>>1105550
I wouldn't pay it but it does look like a lovely little machine and I hear good things about southbend lathes. If it didn't have any measurable wear on the ways and came with some nice tooling $500 maybe
>>
>>1105468
I second this, I could draw it up and I have a little experience with tool and die work but the setup for stamping them is probably way out of your budget.
>>
>>1105811
Second hand? Three phrase? Post some pics pls
>>
File: descarga.jpg (6KB, 225x225px) Image search: [Google]
descarga.jpg
6KB, 225x225px
>>1105902
Sadly i didn't took pics when i bought it.
This is the only one that i have. Second hand.
It's a three fase, 1,4mts of bed
up to 450mm turning diameter.
Wecheco 15.

There aren'r many of them here.
>>
>>1104304
let me guess, StankoImport?
I got one myself, nice sturdy machines.
>>1105811
>>1104304
How did you guys get started?
I have a lathe, mill and enough equipment to begin but how did you guys find your first customers?
>>
>>1104304
what town you in mate?
>>
>>1106463
Burleigh heads, qld
>>
>>1104304
we have a semi-automatic version of that mill in my workplace, a some kind of relay controlled proto-cnc from the 1980's soviet union. its a hell of a good machine, can take fucking huge cuts on single pass without any kind of chatter
>>
>>1106438
It's certainly is, this model is an absolute tank and usually it's a case of just building a community presence, once you start doing a few jobs for locals you'll tend to get a steady stream. Lot of auto workshops need work done on the regular so they're your first port of call. The average mechanic is overly fond of rattle guns so broken bolt removal is a pretty common job, my personal favourite is the broken easy out in a seized bolt with a broken drill under the easy out.
>>
File: 1430455421619.jpg (6KB, 250x240px) Image search: [Google]
1430455421619.jpg
6KB, 250x240px
>>1106469
>my personal favourite is the broken easy out in a seized bolt with a broken drill under the easy out.
Sounds like somebody had a really bad day.
>>
>>1104412
nice welder, does it come in mens?
>>
>>1104576
Where are you at in kansas? If you're near Wichita there's a club like that I'm a part of you can join.
>>
>>1106469
allright, thanks for the tip.
>>
>>1106586
>Wichita

How awful.
>>
>>1106811
It's not that bad. I'm an electrical engineer for Textron and that city pretty much revolves around aviation. I get a lot if respect wearing my Textron shirt. Kinda neat. But I do frequency go up to Kansas city since that's where all the life is.
>>
>>1106819

If you're under 30, Lawrence is trendy enough to pretend you're not in Kansas. Like Austin is to Texas.

If you're into aviation, look at maybe moving to Garmin in KC. They're hiring aviation engineers like crazy.

Cerner might be hiring EE's for their devices division now that they've bought Siemens. They suck as an employer though.
>>
>>1106438
In my case in my town there aren't many machinist. And the nearest in my neigboorhood retired. So i start going to places to leave my card. For example: A Soda factory, bakerys, etc.
The rest usually is from people that recomend me. Bicycle riders, race car builders, and bigger workshops that don't take small jobs.
>>
File: battery.jpg (120KB, 1600x600px) Image search: [Google]
battery.jpg
120KB, 1600x600px
>>1106469
>It's certainly is, this model is an absolute tank and usually it's a case of just building a community presence, once you start doing a few jobs for locals you'll tend to get a steady stream. Lot of auto workshops need work done on the regular so they're your first port of call. The average mechanic is overly fond of rattle guns so broken bolt removal is a pretty common job, my personal favourite is the broken easy out in a seized bolt with a broken drill under the easy out.
Do you have an email or something? I have like 10+ parts I think about building but I never get around to it because local suppliers are such dickheads. Typically I email them asking for a very rough estimate so I can tell if it's even remotely feasible which usually ends up resulting in 2 weeks worth emails answering pointless questions only to be given a quote that is 10x higher than what is listed on some US website because they were too busy and didn't want the work or the office staff were just lazy and don't want more orders.
>>
>>1106907
[email protected] but its a little easier to reach me over facebook if you've got it
>>
File: deeplyconcerned.jpg (151KB, 900x563px) Image search: [Google]
deeplyconcerned.jpg
151KB, 900x563px
>>1106921
>Using normiebook
Where do you think you are?
>>
>>1106822
I've never been up to Lawrence, I'll have to drive there sometime.
Ultimately, I want to get out of Kansas though. It's okay but I can't see myself starting a family here. After I work for Textron for a bit I may try and get a job at Lockheed Martin in Cali.
>>
etst
>>
>>1107596
Test
>>
>>1107597
Test
>>
>>1107598
>>
>>1108410
LOL
>>
>>1107596
>>1107597
>>1107598
>>1108410
>>1108416
fuck off samefag stop bumping this shitty thread
>>
>>1108418
well, you're talking to /diy.
why?
>>
>>1105550
I wouldn't pay that, looks pretty clean though.
>>
>>1104304

you can check out the local "hackerspace" scene, might be too cringey though
>>
>>1104345
You need a guy to sit in the break room for chats?

also congrats on owning a business at 21. Im 19 and barely have any idea of where to take myself here in SA.
>>
>>1109294
Just buy a bunch of machines and start making stuff for customers you'll find right away, duh you lazy slacker!! jesus kids these days
>>
File: 1482573288354.png (223KB, 401x403px) Image search: [Google]
1482573288354.png
223KB, 401x403px
>>1109297
top kek literally what i did
>>
Boiley from brisbane if you need one here! Nice setup
>>
>>1109297

Is it actually that easy, though? I seem to have a penchant for manufacturing technology in general (built a CNC router from scratch, planning on another), and I've always played with the idea of trying to make money off that kind of thing.

I'm going to end up with the equipment, anyway, given that a lot of it is must-have for my mechatronics/robotics hobby.
Thread posts: 86
Thread images: 14

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.