[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

repairing axe handle

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 2

File: axe project-handle.jpg (706KB, 1955x1150px) Image search: [Google]
axe project-handle.jpg
706KB, 1955x1150px
Sup /diy/. /out/fag here.

I'm trying to recover an old axe. Handle is nice(form, material, aesthetics), except its kind of beat up. Anyone here have ideas on how to fix it up so its structurally sound for moderate use?

Modern handles are usually using shit-quality wood that isnt really selected for hard use(not cut with the grain running in the right direction, usually bowed), and they ergonomics have flown out the window. So ontop of saving ~$20, it'll probably be less work to get this one to a serviceable condition than re-profiling a new one(just hand tools here, so fitting the head on its own is a big job, let-alone contouring the handle)

I already plan on dropping the shoulder of the axe by 1/4 or 1/2 and inch, so fixing the chewed up part can look ugly as hell for all i care, just as long as it secures it.
>>
>>1104274
http://www.homedepot.com/p/True-Temper-Axe-Wedge-Pack-2175900/100148192
>>
File: IMG_20161225_120356_858.jpg (969KB, 1544x2795px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20161225_120356_858.jpg
969KB, 1544x2795px
>>1104275
erm... not really what i'm asking. Already have a few wedges for when i mount the axe back on it(which probably wont be for a week or so. Still gotta clean up the actual axe head too. Pic related. Its soaking in vinegar right now)
>>
>>1104281
stick another wedge in until it fits
cut the extra
glue it will with a really good quality glue
sand the head
cut it in half with a hacksaw
stick another wedge
and a shim or w/e its called and youre done
>>
That's going to be a weak handle because the shoulder is chipped out. It's not really repairable to service quality, unless you want to do an excessive amount of work and splice in new wood instead of just making a new handle.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I55QyJXHk2E

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mcz6ohyLuZc
>>
You aren't looking hard enough for good handles. Try a little harder and I'm sure you'll find a nice American hickory handle to suit your needs. Buy it in person so you can confirm that the grain runs from end-to-end. Though there really isn't much to do to that handle other than clean out the split a bit with some sandpaper and jam in a wedge with some titebond. Though the end grain looks a bit chewed up (looks like it had a nail or staple pried out at one point)...I think you're better off getting a new handle.

If my 10# sledge can survive a new handle, so can your axe.
>>
Cant believe that *I* need to be the one to post this.. I am on the other side of the Atlantic Ocean, and I know where to get decent axe handles:

https://www.househandle.com

Actually imported a few of these years back, 'cause there are no double-bit handles in Europe.
>>
I'd refabricate the top quarter/head from some hardwood and attach it with a scarf joint and screws to the existing handle.
>>
>>1105932
I spoke with a wood worker friend of a friend. He said he thinks putting a few notches into it, and another piece of hickory, then splicing that "cheek" onto the wood on the shoulder with glue would be easiest, and since it rests in the head, it should be nearly as strong as the original. This is all in regard to the middle pic of the original post(which he said is the only thing to worry about)

>>1105928
I'm in Canada. Shipping anything here, even from the US, is stupidly expensive. More so than to most of Europe... Plus I'm a cheap faggot who'd rather spend an hour doing most of the work myself to bring something with character back, than but a new one. Once it's hung and takes in a bunch of linseed oil, it'll be solid as fuck.
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.