[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I am looking to build a dining room table. Assume I have most

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

File: Dining room table.jpg (63KB, 700x523px) Image search: [Google]
Dining room table.jpg
63KB, 700x523px
I am looking to build a dining room table. Assume I have most tools at my disposal. My old mans shop and his knowledge are also helpful. I'm new to this and a bit retarded when it comes to building stuff. I basically want to play games and eat dinner with 5 other people. Help my DIY I'm an idiot.
>>
>>1104028
I just made my first. But maybe, just maybe, you should start by thinking it over yourself before you start shooting blanks in a thread without a question..
-What kind of design do you like;
-What material do you want it made out of;

I'll post some pics when it's light out.
>>
the one in the pic would be pretty easy to do

look at the home center for pre-made table legs, also need 2x6s and either 1x3s or 1x4s for the sides

tables are usually done either as the entire bottom being one piece and the top being separate, or the top and sides being attached, and the legs being separate

if you want to do joinery, use mortise and tenons to join the sides to the posts, and the bottom will all be one piece
(a lesser man would stoop to using pocket screws)

the other option requires no creating joints; the sides are all drilled/countersunk and then screwed to the table top, there is a little flat spot made in each corner of the legs where a dowel screw is attached so the threaded bolt end goes through a piece of wood at 45 degrees (goes across the corner from side to side), where it can be tightened with a nut

the second option is far more easy to move, and can usually be tightened a lot easier (yes it is just a solid)

the top would be a little trickier depending on tools and skill, and the look you want....you could try cutting grooves/slots lengthwise (like how wood flooring goes together) with a router, or simply trim the inside edges with a saw then glue the boards, or if you like the op look, use biscuits or dowels to join the boards
>>
Go the ikea website and download the manuals for their high end tables. That will at least give you an idea what some options are for making a sturdy table while keeping things efficient.

Also tons of table making on youtube. I think that badboy Mathias Wandel has one too.
>>
>>1104081
>ikea
>high end

one of those things is not like the other
>>
Not OP but I was going to make a very similar thread, so I figure I'll hop into this and ask before I resort to that. What are some steps to take to make sure I can make things correctly and not fuck everything up? I plan on making a nice smooth flat top for a desk but I really want it to turn out well. Is it really as simple as making interlocks with a router/biscuit maker/etc and just gluing and planing it?
>>
File: Table_Top_Completed.jpg (57KB, 512x342px) Image search: [Google]
Table_Top_Completed.jpg
57KB, 512x342px
>>1104069

>the top would be a little trickier depending on tools and skill, and the look you want....you could try cutting grooves/slots lengthwise (like how wood flooring goes together) with a router, or simply trim the inside edges with a saw then glue the boards, or if you like the op look, use biscuits or dowels to join the boards

The standard way is to simply clamp and glue them, but the clamping needed is a bit elaborate. Some people have had good luck with pocket screws.

https://www.woodlogger.com/2012/11/table-top/

PS. whatever you use to attach it to the frame should of course allow some expansion of the width of the top.
>>
>>1104105
>The standard way is to simply clamp and glue them, but the clamping needed is a bit elaborate. Some people have had good luck with pocket screws.

if the edges are flat, yes, glue, but if op was talking about something like the look in the 1st pic, I would not trust only a glued joint on account of the rounded edges

ie. like I said, rip just enough off each side of the inside edges for the joints to be completely flat
>>
Also looking to make a table or desk.

Going to make a 3 x 6 ft table top by gluing and/or screwing the boards together and attaching 5 steel legs.

Would that be fine? Is it going to be stable enough? Do I need to make a frame or brace?
>>
>>1104135

Spanning 6 feet without skirting/apron boards with solid wood will require a very thick table top (3+ inch). It's going to weigh a metric fuckton.

Plywood is a lot better in that respect, but even 2 x 3/4 inch plywood glued together will have a fair bit of flex in the middle of a 6 feet span without skirts. At least the low quality plywood I used for my desk did :)

I put a skirt only along the back which reduced the flex while sitting on the middle edge to a reasonable amount. The legs were also braced together along the sides and the back for rigidity. Keeping the legs nice and square with the top under load without skirting and without bracing is a challenge too (so it won't wobble when pushed from the sides, I hate wobble in the desk).
>>
>>1104166
Thanks. I'll probably look into a steel frame or make it thicker to 3 or 4 inch or just rethink the whole thing.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.