[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Fume Extractors

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 5

File: s-l1000.jpg (76KB, 918x1000px) Image search: [Google]
s-l1000.jpg
76KB, 918x1000px
Do these desktop-type fume extractors even do anything? Why are these glorified bathroom fans so damn expensive? Should i just stick a filter onto the business end of a vaccuum cleaner and call it a day?
>>
>>1103448
What do you want to accomplish?

Would it be easier/cheaper to do whatever you want outside and pick up a respirator instead ?
>>
>>1103455

I already own a gasmask with filters, just wondering what a viable solution is for a home electronics lab. A brand name Hakko or Weller extractor costs like 500$ and that seems pretty ridiculous to me.
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (61KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
61KB, 1280x720px
If it's something on your desk, consider one of these cheap $80-ish fume hoods for airbrushing. It comes with a hose and a fan to vent it out a window.

Other than that, you can make a much higher power one like I have. Take a plastic cloths or storage bin, cut it so it can lay flat on a table, put an AC filter on the bottom of it, cut a hole in the back of it and pick up one of those super cheap fart fan bathroom fans from Home Depot and just pick up some hose to attach it.
>>
File: sparyBooth.jpg (58KB, 1222x672px) Image search: [Google]
sparyBooth.jpg
58KB, 1222x672px
>>1103474

This isn't mine, mine's a little bigger, but this is proof of concept.

$20 for a strong fart fan, $10 for a bin, and maybe $10 for some flexible hose to shove out a window.

Really well spent cash.
>>
>>1103474

Hmm not bad, i actually plan to do some airbrushing. The bathroom fan idea is what i had in mind, though my desk is nowhere near a window i can stick it out of. Probably the best solution though, as you don't really need to change filters all the time with that approach. It's still a bit cumbersome, thats why i asked if these small desk extractors actually do any good for soldering fumes.
>>
File: 20161213_180946_resized.jpg (1MB, 2656x1494px) Image search: [Google]
20161213_180946_resized.jpg
1MB, 2656x1494px
>>1103478

Well hello there fellow hobbyist. Here's my desktop for your enjoyment.

Since you're about to start airbrushing, let me hit you with the no nonsense truth.

You do not need a fume hood to airbrush but it depends on the type of paint you're using. Acrylic is water and alcohol based, thus you do not need one. Lacquer thinner is highly toxic and you 100% need one. Enamel you may or may not, enamel thinner is legit just spirits, so not good for you but it won't kill you.

DO NOT AIRBRUSH WITHOUT A FUME HOOD OR RESPIRATOR WITH LACQUER.

It's what gave our grandparents cancer before asbestos when they did model plains.
>>
>>1103479

Well aware of that, you gotta consider that you're pretty much vaping whatever you're airbrushing if you dont use a fumehood or respirator. Heck, you can get high even when using regular brushes if the fumes are strong enough. My main question was more about soldering, but a universal solution that works for paint too would awesome.
>>
>>1103485

I really don't know much about solder but I assume fumes of any kind should be addressed unless it's the dank.
>>
File: 1476744034409.gif (4MB, 600x444px) Image search: [Google]
1476744034409.gif
4MB, 600x444px
>>1103479
>durr it's got water in it durrr it's okay to breathe it in
>>
>>1103479
>lacquer
>cancer
Source? Neurological damage/seizures=/=cancer
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.