[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Refurbish Metal Vaporizer

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 5

File: PSX_20161222_020243.jpg (2MB, 3024x4032px) Image search: [Google]
PSX_20161222_020243.jpg
2MB, 3024x4032px
Hello diy
A friend got this vaporizer a while ago and now it looks pretty used. How do I refurbish it? I am at my father's house so I have a lot of tools which I can use. Unfortunately I only made things out of wood till now, so I don't have any experience working with metal
>>
File: PSX_20161222_020752.jpg (1MB, 3024x4032px) Image search: [Google]
PSX_20161222_020752.jpg
1MB, 3024x4032px
More pictures
>>
File: PSX_20161222_020933.jpg (2MB, 3024x4032px) Image search: [Google]
PSX_20161222_020933.jpg
2MB, 3024x4032px
It really doesn't look good anymore
>>
File: snake gun no step.gif (249KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
snake gun no step.gif
249KB, 500x375px
>>1102496
That is character and provenence you silly child.

Consider a new polyurethane finish or washing it with a dye to bring out the etching.
>>
Throw it away and buy a new one.
>>
>>1102496
>>1102498
>>1102500
Tell your "friend" that vaping is for fedora retards and to immediately fuck off forever. Next, you should sell it on eba or Craigslist for $35 and use the money for beer and cigarettes
>>
>>1102513
If I make a new coating will it get rid of all the little scratches or will it just seal off the metal and you still will be able to see all that stuff?

I will now try to remove all the darker spots with some diluent (hope this is the correct word, no native English speaker). Any other ideas if this won't do the job?

>>1102674
With all these scratches nobody would pay me even a single buck for this. I know that vaping is for retards, I don't Vape myself and I honestly don't care if other people want to destroy their lungs.
>>
File: stainless-celtic-braid-ring.jpg (171KB, 600x579px) Image search: [Google]
stainless-celtic-braid-ring.jpg
171KB, 600x579px
>>1102496
Here’s what I would do if I wanted to do what I think you;re getting at:

Get a Scotch-Brite metal finishing pad and give it a good rub (keeping grain aligned). Repeat with the Scotch-Brite soaked with the “diluent” (probably solvent in English) if needed. Wash and scrub with soapy water and a toothbrush, then clean with alcohol and a lint-free cloth.

Then give it a coat of self-priming exterior grade black paint for metal, and let it dry fully. Alternately, fill the engraved design with black epoxy and let it cure fully. Then comes the tricky part. Using the platen of a belt sander or a sanding block, making sure to keep the grain straight, grind out the scratches, leaving clean aligned grain and a black design that should pop like firecrackers.

Don’t give it a clear coat. It will wear worse than bare metal, and by then it’s not your problem anyway. And it won't cover scratches.
>>
>>1102496
Take fine steel wool to it and dull it up. Iltll look pretty good after that
>>
>>1102496
>Put a sheet of sandpaper on a flat surface
>Rub the thing on it in a uniform motion
>??

You can either used fine paper, like P1200 for a super shiny finish (but it'll take longer to get marks out, if that's what you want to do), or you can use rougher paper to give it a more textured finish.

You can use either circular motions, or back and forth motion, depending on how you want it to look.

If you're that bothered afterwards, you could clear-coat it, although I wouldn't bother
>>
Thanks for the advice guys,
I will use a P400 paper to get rid of all the marks and then a P800 paper for the finish. If I have enough time I may use black epoxy so it looks nice
>>
I have another question. Some of the marks are pretty deep, is there a way to like fill them up?
>>
>>1102789

No, unless you use filler and paint.
>>
>>1102789
Know how to weld?
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.