[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is this dangerous? My mother is planning to drill a new hole

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 2

File: 20161221_085210.jpg (570KB, 2048x1152px) Image search: [Google]
20161221_085210.jpg
570KB, 2048x1152px
Is this dangerous?

My mother is planning to drill a new hole on the wall to move this dangling thing up. Neither of us know shit all about electrical so im worried for her safety. Any insight?
>>
>>1102300
As long as you shut the electricity of it should be fine.

I'd install a new box and rerun the wires though.
>>
>>1102300
turn off the circuit breaker power and youll be fine
>>
>>1102312
>>1102314
So just find the one that knocks out the lights and we're good to go? Also this is probably obvious, but touching the metal on the outside even while the power's on is safe yeah? Im sure someone has already flipping the lights on and off. No ones dead yet after all.
>>
>>1102390
>So just find the one that knocks out the lights and we're good to go? Also this is probably obvious, but touching the metal on the outside even while the power's on is safe yeah? Im sure someone has already flipping the lights on and off. No ones dead yet after all.

worse case you'd get a nice shock

anytime you're doing something electrical, it's a good idea to tape the breaker off so some jacakass doesn't flip it back on while you're working on it
>>
>>1102398
how many people do you let access your circuit breakers?
>>
>>1102300
Is that speaker wire?
>>
>>1102414
Anons dad and brother turn up after a few beers at the bar.
>"Oh the lights are not working, better go and check the breakers"

That sort of thing happens all the time, these days they use lockouts on newer breaker panels.
>>
If you're worried about her safety, do it yourself.
>>
>>1102414
some family are dumber than others
>>
>>1102398
So lightswitchs don't have life threatening voltage huh?

Actually before anyone gives me a speel I seem to remember that one guy who looks kind of like borat who fucks with electricity for education on youtube saying it was "current" that kills, and not the voltage. So I guess if i somehow got attached to the line and received a constant shock I might die.
>>
>>1102584
I have been shocked quite a few times from household voltage and have yet to die

it's not pleasant but nothing to be scared of unless someone has health issues
>>
>>1102584
>So I guess if i somehow got attached to the line and received a constant shock I might die.
That would be charge, current is instantaneous.
>>
>>1102390
If the lights are off, there may still be power in the box if it's used as a junction box for another circuit.
>>
>>1102417
You are a fucking moron.
>>
>>1102300
Is this really how house electricity is done in the US?

>metallic box
>cables not going in tubes
>>
>>1103278
Nah im in canada.
>>
>>1103282
Okay, but still
>>
>>1103278
Shows what you know you fucking pleb.

>metallic box
When grounded, its safer than a plastic box and its more durable.

>cables not going in tubes
I think you are referring to conduit? Its hard to tell because you are clearly retarded but thats my closest guess. Anyway, conduit is only used in circumstances that require it. Hazardous/wet/outdoor environments or in long runs where wires may need to be replaced frequently etc.

Neither of these are practices that are specific to US(or Canada) electrical code. Try not to be condescending about things you know nothing about.
>>
>>1103414
>getting this offensive

He sure struck a nerve, didn't he?
>>
>>1102419
Brother is a sparky. Lucky to be alive after his retard boss turned a switch back on while he was working. Boss isn't a sparky and it could've been a lot worse.

They didn't bother putting lock dogs on the switch because they figured no one on the job was stupid enough to flick the switch back on. Had it happened 10 seconds earlier or later he would've had more than a burned face
>>
File: 51RSV1Ysw8L._SL1000_.jpg (57KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
51RSV1Ysw8L._SL1000_.jpg
57KB, 1000x1000px
Get an electricity tester. It will light up if there's current flowing though a surface when you touch it with the tester's tip. It's a handy thing to have when you're dealing with mains AC to make sure everything's off first.
>>
>>1103456
Those things can be dangerous in-and-of themselves. If using one, it has to be from a reputable brand, a lot of cheap ones out there are downright suicidal.
>>
>>1103463

First time i hear about dangerous ones... Then again the ones i have lying around here are from commie times and before chinese crap was even a thing.
>>
>>1102584
it takes like half an amp to stop a human heart. even if it didn't immediately kill you it can fuck with your heart beat and lead to a heart attack, hours, days or even weeks later. of course it's fairly unlikely but still possible.
>>
>>1103417
Im not even american. Though my job has me travel here often. I just cant help but sperg out when people act like they know what they are talking about but clearly dont. I feel like he got some sort of satisfaction out of trying to feel superior and i needed to take that away from him.
>>
>>1102417
yes i would like to buy some of those extra chromosomes your smokeing
>>
it's fine to move around a little bit, just don't pull on it so hard it causes exposed copper to touch your skin
>>
>>1103283
Still what? It has a protective layer, the connections to the switches don't touch the box. What are you, a pussy?

In the US, boxes sold now are plastic, and strain reliefs are required typically. By the way, your conduit still doesn't protect you from drilling into wires, mister high and mighty.
>>
>>1102300
post nudes of your mom
>>
>>1103463
Yeah just looking at it I started to think about that. With a high enough voltage itll still go through a small amount of rubber yeah?

>>1103496
So all those people dicking around with forks or paperclips and wall sockets back in the day. (And this is a serious question) has anyone ever died that way?

>>1103661
Ive just avoided touching the metal up until now. I feel like i should get into electrician courses just so I can be aware of all this shit.

Are there any tools for detecting wires inside a wall? This ones probably safe, but in the event of hidden wires and a drill id hate to see the result.
>>
>>1103887
>Are there any tools for detecting wires inside a wall?
stud finders can

the wires should be run along and attached to the studs, and if going through, should be protected with a strike plate

very unlikely to happen, and even if it did, I doubt the user would get shocked...the bit going through would cause a short and trip the breaker
>>
>>1102584
its the current across the heart that kills but that current across your heart is determined by your internal resistance (size and where you touch the leads) and more importantly voltage. So both factors do play a role. For note the frequency of AC electricity also plays a role but it's probs not worth explaining.
>>
>>1104061
What is the max lightning res of a human?
>>
>>1104157
internal resistance? if so you can't really say, you can find out your resistance with a multimeter if yoy want. Between your hands it's on the order of 1 or 2 Mega Ohms though, so a fuck ton really. But its still really dangerous just not necessarily lethal.
>>
>>1103887
you can get voltage detectors for cheap which will detect live wires through walls.

And yes many people have died by shoving things into power points. ac electricity makes your muscles clench and hold onto it, leading to prolonged exposure.
Thread posts: 36
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.