[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Pump or Siphon for a fishtank?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 5

File: IMAG1484.jpg (4MB, 5376x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMAG1484.jpg
4MB, 5376x3024px
I have a fishtank that I have been setting up in a false fireplace in my living room. Ive come to the point where I need a way to bring water down to the sump in the basement in the case of a power outage.

There isn't much space behind the tank to set up a hang on back siphon system and I have the tubes running up and down to the basement sump tank at the moment. My issue is that because I don't have the space to set up a hang on back siphon system.and cant level the water in the tank with the sump in the basement , how can I start a siphon again whenever the power would come back on after a power outage.

Is there a type of pump that will bring water down to the sump that I can set up down in the basement, or some kind of electrical siphon starter to get the water flowing again?

I would prefer not to have to drill the fish tank because it will void the warrenty and I don't want another section that might leak or cause a problem in the long run which would be difficult for me to get to when the tank is filled with water.

I tried asking this question on an aquarium forum but it seems that they either don't understand the dilemma or are just going in a circular logic of saying well drill a hole, well if you cant drill a hole use a hang on back, well if you cant have a hang on back then drill a hole.

Anyway TLDR, how can I get a siphon started again with a power outage and I am not home or asleep, so that I don't come to a giant mess, or a pump that pulls water down.
>>
File: IMAG1485.jpg (3MB, 5376x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMAG1485.jpg
3MB, 5376x3024px
>>
File: IMAG1487.jpg (3MB, 5376x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMAG1487.jpg
3MB, 5376x3024px
>>
>>1102284
I dont know anything about advanced aquarium pumps.
But have you considered using a UPS battery backup?

When the power goes out, it will automatically move to battery power and will continue to run your pumps uninterrupted.
Its like unplugging a laptop from the wall.

In the ~$100 range you can find ones built for high powered desktop computers.

The power draw from your pumps will be a fraction of what a gaming pc is, so it would run the pumps for a long time.

I have an ultra small form factor PC running a fileserver. I have it on a 825VA UPS backup.
The calculations say that at idle my mini pc and raid array would run up to something stupid like 27 days straight on just battery power.

You could easily find something that would give you days worth of power for cheap.
>>
>>1102284
Best bet would be a self priming canister filter mounted in the basement below the tank and above the sump.
>>
>>1102325
I have already built up a trickle filter system and tank for the sump. Unless the canister filter starts the flow somehow. I don't know if I would want a canister filter if I already have a trickle.

>>1102324
I had thought about that. My current pump is 2100 gph 70 watt, 110-120v

The thing with the battery backups though is I had one where I worked at for our main computer system. Whenever the power would go out I had only maybe a minute of power I could use from it to be able to shut down the computer before the battery shut off. So I didn't feel that , that was viable for a power outage in my home. Especially since I recently had a power outage that lasted about 12 hours. But if you can convince me otherwise it might be helpful. I could just run the pump on it, but it would be nice to be able to run the protein skimmer and my heaters as well on a battery if it will work.
>>
>>1102343
If you are serious about a battery backup, buy a killawatt on amazon for like $15.

Check the actual real life power drain of the vital parts of the tank.

Once you get an approximate overall power usage youll be able to find an appropriately sized UPS.
Itll be extremely easy to calculate for it because the constant power draw of a pump, unlike a PC where you have to account for fluctuations in idle vs under load.

Im not sure how much draw actually would come out of a 70w pump.
>>
>>1102387
I might do that as long as a back ups isn't going to cost me more than 100, as I feel I can just get a small pump and put it in the tank for much cheaper. Although I would prefer to keep extra junk out of the tank.

Alternatively, does anyone know if there is a type of electric device that will start a siphon up whenever power kicks back on. Or is there an electric device that will turn on another device for lets say 2 minutes and then shut off after a given amount of time. I could have a pump in the actual tank then that way and not have to run it constantly because once the pump pumps it down it will continue to siphon through the pump even after its off. That way I'm not wasting electricity pumping all the time and making extra noise in the tank.
>>
>>1102284
>drill the fish tank

honestly, you know this is the only answer
>>
>>1102458
unless its tempered
>>
>>1102482
Nigga its a bowfront, so it means its acrylic
>>
>>1102507
Its not acrylic. Its glass for sure.
>>
>>1102284
You might wanna heighten the placement of the poly pipe on the right. Not gonna do much good when the power comes back and there's only 3 inches of water left in the tank
>>
>>1102646
The tubes aren't set up completely yet, they are just hanging in there right now. I wwas planning to have a surface skimmer/weir to hide the return line. and ill probably shorten the flow pipe some when I get things going.
>>
if its level it will last through the warranty. just go buy some glass and practice drilling. its pretty cheap to practice. get the same thickness so you can get an idea of a good slow pace. last i checked they dont temper the bottom.
>>
>>1102284
They sell these, it's like a reverse air pump. You attach it to the siphon and it will pump air out once power comes back
>>
>>1102284
Look for aquarium lift pump or lifter pump or something. I forget the name it's been a while since I've been involved in the hobby
>>
File: Fish siphon.jpg (179KB, 1600x1211px) Image search: [Google]
Fish siphon.jpg
179KB, 1600x1211px
I know it looks complex but it's relatively simple: steam from the boiling kettle produces a torque on the pulley which prevents the weight from flushing the siphon. In the event of power failure, the steam flow stops and the weight descends, conducting the water and fish safely to the basement.
>>
>>1103242
thanks seems doable
>>
>>1103211
wouldn't that make it like another pump then though? or does it just go till the siphon starts?
>>
>>1102284
>I need a way to bring water down to the sump in the basement in the case of a power outage.

Am I the only one who's going to ask why? Is there a particular reason the water can't just stay in the tank? Is this some sort of End Of The World fish genocide pact?
>>
>>1102343
Canister filters are self priming.

Thats all you needis a self priming pump
>>
>>1103807
Increasing the volume makes the water quality easier to manage and opens up other opportunities. OP could be doing aquaponics in the basement for all we know.
>>
>>1103798
It will pump a small amount of water once siphon comes back, hence its alternative use as a dosing pump.
Thread posts: 24
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.