[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

can I restore this box?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 2

File: 20161220_235509-1.jpg (3MB, 2551x1960px) Image search: [Google]
20161220_235509-1.jpg
3MB, 2551x1960px
Hey /diy/
I was just noticing that I've had this box, pic related, for something like 25-30 years. I never thought about it much, and I have no real sentimental value in it, but considering how long I've had it, I wouldn't mind fixing it up a little bit. Looks like it's dirty and also has some pieces that are out of alignment (next picture).

What's the best method for cleaning it up, getting dust out of it, polishing it, oiling it, straightening it out, etc? I've got some tools including clamps, sand paper, a dremel, a pen torch, soldering iron and wood burning tool, epoxy, and so on. I'd be willing to buy polish, or oil, or some other consumables. I have a fair amount of /diy/ skill, but more in electronics and less in wood working.

What would you do to restore it or mack it out? What can be done with it at all?
-Axin for a fren
>>
File: 20161220_235447-1.jpg (3MB, 2836x1763px) Image search: [Google]
20161220_235447-1.jpg
3MB, 2836x1763px
>>1102034
A view of the side of the box, where you can see that certain parts are coming out of alignment.
>>
>>1102034
Sure. It will probably cost more to fix it than it did to buy it but, yeah, you can. I bought a set of those boxes for my GF some years back. They are cheaply made in India and kind of fall apart because the craftsmanship is sub-par.

>>1102035
It was probably already like that, honestly.
>>
>>1102039
You are exactly right when you say cheap ass made in India box. I recall the store from which I bought it as a child actually had a reputation for selling cheap ass China and India shit. However, this cheap ass piece of shit has actually served me well over the last several decades.

Again, I have no real sentimental bond to this item, but now that I think about it, it was with me for a long time and has never failed me. I'm not thoroughly committed to making it sparkle, but I'm also not necessarily opposed to spending one or two hours a night with it for the next 8-10 days. I can replace hinges, add an led or magnet, or whatever. Just humor me; what would you do with it?
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iSjI-BjrGLo
>>
Whew, that's a shame. Someone filled in the finger hole.
>>
>>1102044
sand, stain, and shellac, that's what I would do. new hinges and a latch would help, maybe line it with felt. Is that flower some sort of inlay?
>>
>>1102034
Get a small, very sharp wood chisel and sure-up the engravings, then sand smooth and seal with boiled linseed oil.
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.