[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey /diy/, I was hoping that someone here would have some sort

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 5

Hey /diy/,

I was hoping that someone here would have some sort of idea of how to manufacture pic related.

They're called "stravigors", though specifically they're called rolling rastrums. They're used to draw musical staff lines on any surface, and operate with ink. One side draws one big staff lines, and the other draws two. I want to make one of these for myself, as I have not been able to track one down anywhere. I thought perhaps 3D printing would be my best option, but I want to know if anyone here has any ideas. Thanks in advance.
>>
I may be biased as im a metalworker but it looks simple enough that could make one out of brass yourself with a vise, a jewelers saw, some files and a hammer. What are the rollers usually made of?
>>
>>1101993
I have no clue, to be honest. Looks like carbon steel? Perhaps copper even. But I'm interested in your method. I have a friend who is an excellent metalworker as well, care to share?
>>
>>1101988
They work like a penstriper.

The center is hollow with a lid that you put liquid ink in ( like think fountain pen ink)
The edge that is need the rollers have either a small slot cut into them or a small hole drikker into them so that the knurled section of the roller can pick up ink.

In its most simple form it is a box, with tabs that are drilled to act like a bearing for a roller that hase some knurrled raised sections.
>>
>>1101988
The discs used to replace the blades in pipe cutters look like a perfect fit.

Possibly overkill but you would start with a nice sharp line you could blunt with a grinding wheel.
>>
>>1101988
I bet you could make one from a ball bearing with a dremel or something, though you'd need a steady hand.
>>
>>1102014
Stop posting.
>>
>>1102002
Ok, so what would be my strategy here? I asked my metalworking friend and he said he could do it with a saw and some other equipment, but it would take him forever.

I even contacted the guy who owned the OP's specific Stravigor, but he's sold it to someone in New York.
>>
>>1102185
Aquire block of brass.

Mill out shape.

Cut a plat sheet if brass for lid.

Make hinge using brass tube and brass rod.

Braze hinge to lid and to box.

Drill box "ears for a shaft.

Aquire brass rod stock.

On lathe turn rod stock to shape , then turn center section to make tour marking disks. Then center drill for axle.

Aquire rod stock of steel or brass
In appropriate dia to make axel. Chuck in lath and make small retaining geoves for c clips.

With die grinder and cut off wheel or on mill make a cut in the box for the ink to flow through.

Assemble.

Fill and use.
Or get a buch of bic pins and glue them together.

Or print out staff paper

Or get a staff line ink stamp

Or just buy op image
>>
>>1102194
Seems to me like you could bend the whole body out of sheet, but yeah, the rollers definitely need to be lathed.
>>
Start going to antique stores and ask the owners. You'd be surprised who they know that collects whatnot. I needed some old mis parts for my old ass house and had to ask around at least 3 places but ended up finding it in the end from a place they told me to look.
They understand what it's like to look for specific things, and they are some of the best at it
>>
>>1101995

Going off your picture, they're copper. But it shouldn't matter what they're made out of, really. I wouldn't be surprised to find they were made out of all sorts of metals, and maybe even a few hardwoods.
>>
Why not just use larger and smaller sized washers to space the lines and fix them with a nut and bolt assembly and use paddle pop sticks as the frame?
>>
File: do it yourselfigor.jpg (277KB, 1791x954px) Image search: [Google]
do it yourselfigor.jpg
277KB, 1791x954px
>>1101988
grooved roller takes 5 minutes to produce on the lathe.
bent metal frame retains a chunk of kitchen sponge soaked in ink.
>>
>>1102606
i did try this but drilling the sticks tends to crack them
washers are a loose fit on the bolt diameter, so the stack goes out of alignment when you tighten down

also discovered that a rubberstamp pad doesn't apply enough ink to the roller, and the lines start to fade after an inch or two

why am i doing this i can't even read music fuck
>>
File: 1475665595131.gif (1MB, 317x237px) Image search: [Google]
1475665595131.gif
1MB, 317x237px
>>1102779
That's pretty slick.
>>
Why not use washers as the discs since they are already fabricated?
>>
File: jernopez.jpg (2MB, 3045x2721px) Image search: [Google]
jernopez.jpg
2MB, 3045x2721px
OP here. I managed to come up with a different solution for now. They're big as fuck, but they've got a handle, look pretty slick, and they make lines pretty well. Only thing is I need an inkpad. Pic related.

>>1102779
shit this is well done. Do you have contact info? If you can make me something close to the image in the OP I'll pay you senpai
>>
File: CdXE5kuUAAA0gnG.jpg large.jpg (58KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
CdXE5kuUAAA0gnG.jpg large.jpg
58KB, 1000x1000px
>>1103022
[email protected] (throwaway email)
i can make one like the OP picture, but i won't be able to produce the outer shell the original came with.
depending on the size of the lines you want it to draw, i might be able to size it to fit inside a zippo shell?
>>
>>1103270
Yeah something like that will work. Check your email. I'd like it to be double sided. The main thing I want out of this thing is practicality and portability. If it meets the set of criteria, then we're set. The ones I've made I like and will continue to use for home, but I definitely need a portable solution.
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.