[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Cleaning out a well.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

File: 1478231530075.gif (3MB, 360x249px) Image search: [Google]
1478231530075.gif
3MB, 360x249px
Okay i've got a really weird situation for you. This happened to my parents not me, so have a read.

>They have an outdoor covered well
>A 4 wheeler was parked next to the well for about a week and started leaking gasoline and who knows what else
>Mom tastes gas in the water and smells it in the shower
>They switch to store bought for the time being
>Someone suggests filling the well to the top, then putting in this special mat that truck drivers use for oil spills to absorb residue? It doesnt work.
>Genius decides to put degreaser (the kind you'd use to wash your hands in a shop) into the well in hopes it would loosen whatever's down there.

The well takes its water from the very bottom, but it continues to smell, and taste like gas. How can these fools clean all this shit out?
>>
File: y3erv9n[1].jpg (49KB, 600x449px) Image search: [Google]
y3erv9n[1].jpg
49KB, 600x449px
bout the only thing I could think of, chuck in a pump with a hydrocarbon water filter in line, take the water from that meantime, this shouldnt be that expensive or complicated to rig up. Otherwise? - wait till it rains a lot, which may not be a genial solution, but, its infinitely smarter than adding fucking degreaser to your water supply, IMO.
>>
Throw a match in the well.
>>
>>1101955
Anon... Was it your truck? Are you the fucker?

Oil spills
Another chronic problem in many rural homes is leaking or spilled fuel oil which eventually contaminates the owner's own well. Many homes have a fuel tank, either buried or above ground, adjacent to the house and within a few feet of the well. Spills or accumulated leakage eventually can migrate to the aquifer and can be drawn into the well, making it unusable for years. Usually the only solution is to obtain a new water source. In some instances, however, reducing the pumping rate to reduce drawdown allows the oil to float on the water surface safely above the well's intake area.

https://pubs.usgs.gov/gip/gw_ruralhomeowner/gw_ruralhomeowner_new.html

You could probably work out a pretty expensive filter system to make it usable in the house again. Hopefully you don't have to replace all your plastic shit. Hydrocarbons impregnate some plastics and will leach out for years.

Getting quotes on another well might be worth it. Or the well guy might have some other... Solutions.

(Marcus.jpg)
>>
You need activated charcoal and paper filters inline with your well. You can also get oil absorbents to try and soak up some of the spill.

pic related
>>
>>1101977
Hmmm, ill have to read up on it but that sounds like it could work. We were talking about leaving the well uncovered and installing a screen or grate so no wild animals got in too.

>>1101983
Im sure that'll work

>>1101991
And no, I dont drive or live out here. Im just up for christmas and decided to help out.

As far as reducing the pumping rate Is that even something that can be adjusted somewhere? Im not a plumber just a relay of information. They mentioned the water tank will also likely have to be replaced. I just considered that may be why the water still tastes like gas even though it should technically float to the surface of the well. No idea where degreaser would sit though. It seems like a huge mess.

Apparently you can get a hefty fine for stuff like this, and the environment comission steps in to clean it up, bur charges you the cost. I think thats what theyre hoping to avoid.

>>1101998
I will research this right away.
>>
Rent a small excavator and dig up as deep as you can around the area the spill occurred at or down to the water table. Smell around in the pit, doing your best to remove all contaminated soil. Dispose of this dirt down gradient from the well and at least 100ft away. Backfill with clean soil. Now run water from the garden hose or use a separate pump placed in the well to pull water continuously for 3 days or until there is no odor.
>>
>>1102064
After all this, contact a local analytical lab and have the water tested for VOCs.
>>
>>1102064
And technically you should dispose of this contaminated soil in a legal fashion. Contact your local DEC for information.
>>
>>1101955
You could try a skimmer to pull off of the top but if it's soaked into the well I think you're boned
>>
Put a nigger in there for a few days, they love sniffing fumes.
>>
Just get a cheap HF gas powered pump and pump out the well. Depending how good its water supply is it should refill within a few days. Any residue left should be diluted enough to not be an issue. If they are really worried about it just install a filter in the line and if they want to spend the money a UV light. Really with well water you should have them anyway as you never know what can crawl into the well
>>
>>1102652
Best idea. Suck it, wait for refill, test, repeat as necessary. Pump the water far away from the well so volatiles can evaporate. Otherwise you are just recycling.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.