[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

E6000

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 2

File: 10192536_1.jpg (121KB, 1024x1024px) Image search: [Google]
10192536_1.jpg
121KB, 1024x1024px
My sister-in-law loves this stuff. and calls it "craft glue", although she may be the only person on earth that does.
I need to glue some felt to a piece of plywood, as the back of a display case.
I checked out a few youtube videos, and everybody says how fast it dries.
But I tried gluing a sample piece, and it just isn't well-stuck an hour later.
The tube says "allow 24 hours to cure, 72 hours for full strength".
What's the deal with this stuff?
btw: My work area is about 55 degrees.
>>
maybe you should follow the instructions
>>
>>1101637
Sounds like it's too cold. I use this stuff on a lot of shit and it's amazing how solid this stuff holds when it's dry.
>>
>>1101638
>maybe you should follow the instructions
The instructions don't mention clamp time, just "full strength".
I find it hard to believe it needs 24 hours of clamp time.
The youtube videos make it look like it takes seconds to set up, and they all say to put the cap back on the tube right away or it will set up in the tube.

>>1101639
>Sounds like it's too cold.
Yeah, that's what I'm thinking too, but it stinks to high heaven, and I've got limited heat in the garage.

I'm starting to think either superglue or hot glue gun might be a much better choice.
Just hoping some /diy/er with e6000 experience can shed some light.
>>
>>1101640
>The instructions don't mention clamp time, just "full strength".
>I find it hard to believe it needs 24 hours of clamp time.
>The youtube videos make it look like it takes seconds to set up, and they all say to put the cap back on the tube right away or it will set up in the tube.

by all means, listen to idiots on youtube instead of the people who actually make the product

if the instructions say to use it at 70-85 degrees, and let it dry for 24 hours, do what it says, and don't complain if it doesn't work because you didn't do what it said
>>
>>1101648
>if the instructions say to use it at 70-85 degrees,
That's a big part of the problem, the instructions don't mention temperature.
Ad AGAIN, the instructions don't talk about clamp time, just "full strength".
Wood glue sets up in 20 minutes, but still takes 24 hours for full strength.

>, listen to idiots on youtube
None of them say how long it takes to set, but they all show clamping by hand for well under a minute.
When I do this, it acts like it isn't set at all.

My sample piece has now bet set for about 2 hours, and it's just not holding at all.

Either this stuff really needs 24 hours of clamp time (which just isn't going to work for me for various reasons, or maybe it's not the right glue to hold felt to plywood.

Oh, and I'm starting to suspect it's really more like caulk than glue, and will never actually harden, but will always be soft and peelable.

Has anybody got other recommendations for a good glue for this task?
>>
>>1101649
contact adhesive in a spray can. something like 3M 77
>>
>>1101649
>That's a big part of the problem, the instructions don't mention temperature.
my tube certainly does

>Ad AGAIN, the instructions don't talk about clamp time, just "full strength".
>Wood glue sets up in 20 minutes, but still takes 24 hours for full strength.
so you have glued things with wood glue, at 55 degrees, and had it workable in 20 minutes?

what do you think "full strength" for a "craft glue" means?

>None of them say how long it takes to set, but they all show clamping by hand for well under a minute.
>When I do this, it acts like it isn't set at all.
and what temperature were they doing it at?

>Oh, and I'm starting to suspect it's really more like caulk than glue, and will never actually harden, but will always be soft and peelable.
it is not caulk, it is a glue
when applied properly, it does remain flexible, as the packaging clearly states

>Has anybody got other recommendations for a good glue for this task?
tacky glue, spray adhesive, glue stick, white glue, hot glue, modge podge....

of course, nothing will work if it's not used the way it is supposed to
>>
>>1101637
Kek Ive used this stuff before. Its okay the dry time is kinda long. And frankly unless you need it to be clear. A tube of liquid nails is cheaper if you got a caulk gun.
>>
>>1101637
It's supposed to flex a little bit, it's not for rigid holds
>>
>>1101653
>my tube certainly does
Mine does not. Just double checked.

>>1101653
>so you have glued things with wood glue, at 55 degrees, and had it workable in 20 minutes?
Yes, that stuff works down to 50, and I can drill, sand and saw it after about 20 minutes.

>>1101653
>when applied properly, it does remain flexible,
Which apparently means the fabric can still be easily peeled of f the plywood.

>>1101653
>of course, nothing will work if it's not used the way it is supposed to
Duh. The whole point of this thread is to try to learn what it can be expected to do, and whether it's the right tool for the job.
>>
>>1101653
>what do you think "full strength" for a "craft glue" means?
Re-reading the label a third time. It describes itself as a "industrial strength adhesive", but my second test has been clamped for 9 hours, and I tried peeling it up, and it comes right off the plywood, even though the fabric is now stiff where the glue was applied.
This is just the wrong tool for the job.
>>
>>1101637
just get some rubber cement and enjoy the fumes as well as home made bouncy balls
>>
Have you tried recapping? There's probably some bad capacitors keeping it from drying properly. Replace any that are bulging or leaking.
>>
>But I tried gluing a sample piece, and it just isn't well-stuck an hour later.
>The tube says "allow 24 hours to cure"
>but my second test has been clamped for 9 hours, and I tried peeling it up
the fuck is wrong with you
>>
>>1101867
>>1101867
>the fuck is wrong with you
I'm trying to find out if it cures in a reasonable time.
Have you ever used any glue?
It ALL says "allow 24 hours to cure", even superglue, and rear-view mirror glue.
You only have to clamp it for seconds, but "full cure" time is a full day.
I'M STILL TRYING TO DETERMINE THE CLAMP TIME AND WHETHER IT WILL HOLD FELT TO PLYWOOD.
Why is that so hard to understand????
If stiffened up the fabric in under 10 hours, so clamp time must be way less than 24 hours.
But it still doesn't hold the felt on the plywood, so apparently it's not going to work anyway.
>>
>>1101871
Why don't you use spray adhesive?
>>
>>1101873
>Why don't you use spray adhesive?
That's probably what I'll do. Or maybe wood glue.
The spray adhesive will probably work better, but I'll have to mask part of the display case with cardboard and painter's tape to protect the finish.
>>
>>1101851
>what it can be expected to do
I glued some rubber to shoes and they held for several years

>the fabric is now stiff where the glue was applied
then the felt absorbed the glue

>I'm trying to find out if it cures in a reasonable time
the label said to wait 24hrs

>I'M STILL TRYING TO DETERMINE THE CLAMP TIME AND WHETHER IT WILL HOLD FELT TO PLYWOOD.
what difference would that make, if it needs 24hrs to cure, leave it "clamped" for 24hrs
>>
>>1101878
clamping is why the felt is now stiff and full of glue.
Sigh.
>>
>>1101882
felt is an absorbent material and using it outside the specified temperature range would only make the glue stay liquid, longer
>>
>>1101885
>felt is an absorbent material
Not really. Most felt is acrylic these days. Glues will not spontaneously capillary into the felt. If the glue is _pressed or forced_ into the felt on the other hand...
>>
>>1101652
This. I add felt to wood bases. Spray both items. Wait the specified time. Stick 1 to other.
Job fuckin done. Easy as.
>>
>>1101878
>the label said to wait 24hrs
>>1101878
>if it needs 24hrs to cure, leave it "clamped" for 24hrs

Jesus you cunt, 24 hours clamp time is not acceptable.
There are practical considerations involved for this project in particular,but this absurd amount of clamp time is a just a dealbreaker in general.

>>1101892
>>felt is an absorbent material
>Not really. Most felt is acrylic these days.
Whatever this felt is made of, I can feel the glue seeping through the felt when I press it against the wood.

>>1101939
I've got some spray adhesive, I'll give it a try tomorrow.
>>
>>1102017
>Jesus you cunt, 24 hours clamp time is not acceptable.
>There are practical considerations involved for this project in particular,but this absurd amount of clamp time is a just a dealbreaker in general.

follow the instructions or don't use it retard
>>
>>1102017
>>Not really. Most felt is acrylic these days.
>Whatever this felt is made of, I can feel the glue seeping through the felt when I press it against the wood.
felt is flexible, non-solid and will allow liquid to pass - non-flexible waterproof solid acrylic be more commonly known as acrylic sheet, as found in airplane windows, etc. This would inded prove easier to glue, but is probably not what you are looking for. Protip, if impatient cunt? do not use glue that suggests you wait 24-72 hours for optimal results - neither of you will be happy with the outcome. Protip #2 - by the time you've finished fannying around finding a quicker-fixing felt glue, the first one would have dried already. Protip #3 - pulling things apart while glue is drying to 'test the strength', improves neither the bond nor speeds up the drying process any, no, really.
>>
>felt to plywood

Hot glue or spray adhesive is my bet.
>>
>>1102023
>follow the instructions or don't use it retard
Did you even read my posts you human hemorrhoid?
The instructions don't say anything about temperature or clamp time, nor do they offer any clue as to whether this product can stick felt to plywood (which it apparently can't).

>>1102026
>do not use glue that suggests you wait 24-72 hours for optimal results
They ALL say "24 hours for optimal results" even superglue which takes TEN SECONDS of clamp time.
If you just come here to tell people they're wrong, how about you go back to /b/ and tell the trap lovers they aren't really straight?

>>1102026
>by the time you've finished fannying around finding a quicker-fixing felt glue, the first one would have dried already
There are other considerations (as I've already pointed out), plus I just don't want to use a product with 24 hour clamp time.
And now fror the TENTH FUCKING TIME: clamp time isn't the same as "full cure time".
How in the fuck can you consider yourself smarter than me if you can't grasp this simple concept????
The label doesn't say a fucking thing about clamp time, and I mostly started this thread to learn the actual clamp time or this product.
Based on my limited experiments, clamp time for E6000 is less than ten hours, but more than one.
That's pretty vague. Please give the real value if you want to show off your "superior" intellect.
>>
>>1101637
adam savage uses a spray foam adhesive alot... it's not super 77 but another denomination. didn't read thread
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-tUHJnl8qPM
>>
>>1102040
>The instructions don't say anything about temperature or clamp time, nor do they offer any clue as to whether this product can stick felt to plywood (which it apparently can't).

maybe if you weren't the result of a failed abortion you'd be able to realize that if there are videos of it working successfully, the problem is not with the product, it is with your grade school level reading comprehension and lack of common sense
>>
>>1102087
Interesting conversation.

If either of you are interested in the actual topic, try reading the manufacturer's instructions:
http://eclecticproducts.com/products/e6000/e6000-craft.html
>>
>>1101640
Remember, temperature and humidity will affect dry time. To speed drying, apply heat using a handheld dryer set on low. Do not hold directly on E6000.
>>
>>1101637
I make frames all day at work and e6000 is our go to for attaching metal to the mats. It's still off gassing after 3 hours but as long as the resting position isn't applying force to it you should be OK
>>
File: 77adh_2.jpg (674KB, 1907x2100px) Image search: [Google]
77adh_2.jpg
674KB, 1907x2100px
OP here.

>>1101652
>contact adhesive in a spray can. something like 3M 77
>>1101653
>spray adhesive
>>1101873
>spray adhesive?
>>1101939
>Spray both items
>>1102027
>spray adhesive
>>1102059
>spray foam adhesive

Bought some spray adhesive (3m 77 in particular) and it worked fucking GREAT.
I'm not really familiar with it but it was definitely the right tool for the job.
Very little odor. It was grippy right away, and I could smooth the felt out with a drywall spackle "knife" as I went, so very smooth application.
It also didn't soak through the felt.
I "clamped" it using books as weights, but It probably didn't need clamping at all.
I used it indoors, at room temperature, but didn't have to wait 24 hours, so I got it all put away before my wife got home (it's a Christmas present for her).

I gotta say, this stuff is great, I only regret not getting familiar with it years ago,
Thanks /diy/!
>>
>>1102769
Nice mang. I've used the same stuff for the same job and can confirm it's the bee's tits.
>>
>>1102769
It also gets fucking everywhere. So take that into account. It's a great way to make half your workshop slightly tacky.
Thread posts: 36
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.