[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How do you make furniture that lasts? Specifically i want to

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 4

File: serveimage(19).jpg (504KB, 2438x1760px) Image search: [Google]
serveimage(19).jpg
504KB, 2438x1760px
How do you make furniture that lasts? Specifically i want to make a desk since i cant find any that match what i want which is basically a narrow dining table almost, very simplistic but maximises desk space.
>>
File: download.jpg (7KB, 306x164px) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
7KB, 306x164px
>>1101237
Make it out of materials from harbor freight, they sell some of the best tools for realistic prices (other stores often raise the prices dramatically and false advertise their uses). You can make the base of the desk out of pallets as they are built to last and will not break under pressure.
>>
Solid oak. It'll cost you but if built right will last forever
>>
>>1101240
Based shitpost
>>
File: BedFrameJoint.png (147KB, 1500x3300px) Image search: [Google]
BedFrameJoint.png
147KB, 1500x3300px
>>1101237
Strong jointery. Or heavy duty hardware like instead of wood screws use lag screws. Is the biggest thing.. From there you have to get sheer proportions correct. So any leaning on the edges from any direction the table doesn't wobble and if it does move, should be the WHOLE table sliding not it flexing. There is a few sketchup bros on here. They are rare. Pic unrelated unless youre building a bed.
>>
Make furniture in the style of Matthias Wandel (youtube, woodgears.ca). He uses proper joinery but the designs are down-to-earth. Also he repurposes used wood to keep cost low.
In order to not use expensive tools for, say, mortise and tenon, check out the techniques that Paul Sellers uses (youtube).
>>
A good hardwood can last lifetimes, oak is good, redgum holds up well and can look really nice, I've heard good things of blackwood but it has asbestos-like qualities and can stain skin. A good finish is must for preservation and ease of cleaning though I don't know a heap on that.
>>
>>1101625
Im thinking oak honestly, finding a supplier is actually kinda difficult though.
>>
>>1101237
>>1101626
Pine actually can hold up well as well. Its less resistant to scratches, so it wouldnt make a good tabletop, but if youre willin to make the joints beefier its a good option.
Thee is hundred year old pine furniture, but is wasnt/isnt thought of as a classy wood, and was generally bought/made for poorer families that had dirt floors until the 50's, so a lot of it rotted at the legs an was tossed out
>>
>>1101703
Pine fram with an oak top might work. I was gonna steal an oak tree soon anyway
>>
>>1101703
I made a heavy duty simple yet modern bookshelf from pine 2x12s and then stained and waxed it. It's held up pretty well and can take a lot of weight.
>>
>>1102146
Pics
>>
>>1101237
Cast steel
>>
>>1101246
Pretty sure those blue pallets are made from ash, which is hard as my dick and lasts way longer
>>
>>1102182
Over a minute is still short
>>
>>1102140
most manufactured (store bought) furniture is like this. usually bass wood frame with fancier wood on top.
you could easily make a solid base with cheap pine (think 2X4s or the like) and then just concentrate on a nice top. I have work tables made from 2X4 pine that have lasted for many decades and today are still the same as when they were built. unless you get them wet constantly or like other post said they are on a dirt floor they will last longer then your lifetime. the top is the only thing you need to think about; what are you going to do with this desk will determine what you make the top from.
>>
>>1102140
only thing with oak is it is very porous. to make the top surface smooth you will need many coats of poly or some other type of resin other wise there are millions of small holes. you see this when someone has painted an oak cabinet door - there are little holes all over the place. need to fill all that in with something to get a truly smooth surface. if you are just putting your computer or whatever on the desk then a completely filled in smooth surface maybe not as important.
>>
>>1101262
This
>>
>>1101626

Don't go to a big box store (Home Depot, Lowe's) unless you have to. Most medium-to-big cities will have a real wood supplier nearby. Hell, I live way out in the boonies and there are 2 wood supply shops near me with quarter-sawn oak, cherry, maple, curly maple, birdseye maple, sapele, mahogany, ....
>>
Use pocket holes. They don't wiggle out over time like normal screw construction.
>>
File: Kitchen-Island.jpg (522KB, 1096x1128px) Image search: [Google]
Kitchen-Island.jpg
522KB, 1096x1128px
adapt to be a desk
>>
>>1101243

Not if you get it from a mill.

If you have access to a planer you can get oak from a mill for the price you would pay for pine at a store.
>>
>>1103557
Definitely not going to bunnings (Australian equivalent). They have stuff all range. Its kinda ba to find reasonable prices at these places though. So annoying how corporate the system is

>>1103613
Ive never seen a kitchen island with wheels, usually theyre set in place
Thread posts: 23
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.