[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Toilet Gurgle/Slow flush power

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3

File: American-Standard-Champion-4.jpg (26KB, 480x480px) Image search: [Google]
American-Standard-Champion-4.jpg
26KB, 480x480px
So I just bought a new american standard toilet and installed it because my old one was leaking and it was pretty old.

Everything installed correctly and lines are connected but now when I flush it trys to fill the toilet bowl with water from the tank BEFORE flushing down and then gurgles.

So after taking that toilet up and pouring a 5 gallon bucket of water down with no back up and even getting my hose pipe in the house and spraying water down with no backup or leak or slow drainage I figured the toilet was bad.

So today I went and exchanged the toilet and got a different brand and it has the same problem.

My old toilet did not have this problem but two new ones do so I know it has to be something i'm doing as I doubt I got two different defective units from two different brands that both act like a clogged toilet.

My next step was to buy an augur and snake it but why did the 5 gallon bucket and hose pipe have no trouble draining but the regular flushing is.

I've tried all the tricks I know and figured i'd ask here.
>>
Bought a kwik-spin snake 25 foot long thing put it about 10 feet into the drain before it coiled on itself but hose pipe still sprayed with no back up and nothing was on the snake.

I can't figure it out.
>>
>>1101208

The reason you have no problem with the bucket and the house is because how the toilet seals the connection. Flushing is just adding material to the drain, the exhaust generally happens at the top of the house via plumbing vent. This is why you are getting gurgling as well, your exhaust is clogged somewhere or isn't level and got some water from the roof in it.

The reason it happened after changing the toilets, maybe the sealed pressure down the system was preventing water from seeping down the exhaust. Once removing the toilet you created a temporary pressure relief allowing things to move more freely.
>>
>hose pipe
wtf is a hose pipe?

in general you're not describing the problem very clearly....but like >>1101303 said it sounds like a venting issue
>>
>>1101304
Depends on where you grew up I suppose.
Hosepipe is a general term for the water faucet outside the house with a hose attached to it. Maybe you call it a garden hose, I don't know.

It puts out a lot of water though.

>>1101303
Took a leaf blower to the vent and after that it flushed perfectly for one flush and then weak again.

So what's my next step? I assume it's not a new wax seal at the toilet but something with getting the vents snaked by a plumber?

>>1101304
New Toilet
Does not flush with any real pressure, would probably not move stool without clogging
Tried a second toilet and had the same problem
Can pour 5 gallon bucket of water down with no back up or water coming out of the drain
Snake did nothing
Original toilet did not have this problem

I don't know how much clearer I can make it.
>>
>>1101332
>Depends on where you grew up I suppose.
'murica; I have never heard anyone use that term before

so you put a garden hose into the toilet?
that's a new one for me

>Does not flush with any real pressure, would probably not move stool without clogging
did you test it?

>Can pour 5 gallon bucket of water down with no back up or water coming out of the drain
>Snake did nothing
if it was not clogging before, the drain is not the problem

>So what's my next step? I assume it's not a new wax seal at the toilet but something with getting the vents snaked by a plumber?
assuming you did not somehow screw up the wax ring two times, there is something wrong with the venting

you can try running the drain snake down through the roof vent, or using the hose to flush it with water
>>
>>1101208
Sure the wax ring hasn't gotten squooshed out and blocking the drain?

Also, basement toilet or above grade? Low flush toilets are terrible in the basement, if they work at all. Also the back-flow preventer could be clogged.

Toilets flush better when there is no vent. It's suction that does the trick. But they will still work with one.

I'll ask my friend (a plumber) if he shows up at the pub.
>>
>>1101341
Also, some toilets have a rubber one-way valve thingy on the bottom (above the wax ring). Not sure all do, but it might be too much of a restriction. Easy enough to look and see.
>>
File: O1V6BFvj.jpg (18KB, 320x320px) Image search: [Google]
O1V6BFvj.jpg
18KB, 320x320px
>>1101341
>Toilets flush better when there is no vent.
oh yeah, that will be up to code
>>
>>1101345
If an inspector is willing to dig through my shit, he deserves to find that hit.
>>
File: Capture.jpg (37KB, 505x503px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.jpg
37KB, 505x503px
>>1101342
Nothing like that on this model.

>>1101341
yeah i've pulled the toilet up a few times now.
Basement.

>>1101338
Nope it's only been water and a few sheets of 2 ply.

Hosed the vent and used our little 25 foot snake and it didn't get anything going.

>>1101345
image related to no vent.
>>
>>1101352
do you have another toilet in the house and if so how is it flushing??

do you have an cap you can unscrew before it goes out to the road or whereever??
>>
>>1101352
>Hosed the vent and used our little 25 foot snake and it didn't get anything going.
hmmm

>Basement.
the last one wasn't a low flow, but the new one is?
>>
>>1101368
This is a "high power 1.28 GPF bullshiz." It cost around $200.

The last one was just the old style I assume 3 gallon tank.

>>1101367
Other two toilets flush just fine.
I don't think so on the cap part.
>>
>>1101376
you should be able to tell if the other drain pipes are connected directly above or after that toilet. If they are above that toilet and flushing fine then I'm inclined to think it is some low flow magic your dealing with. If they are connected after that toilet I guess you could have a clog in the area between that toilet and where the other toilet ties in.

what year is your house? or cast iron or pvc or whats the situation? i guess you could rent a snake or as long as your old toilet wasn't actually cracked it could be fixed and save yourself $200.
>>
>>1101208

Got any big trees near your house? We had to have a chunk of root augered out of our sewer pipe recently. Buy a ebay endoscope type camera and tape it to the end of your snake and see whats in there. Or get a plumber to send a camera down there.
>>
>>1101486

I think the opposite. If the other toilets (first and second floor) are working fine, yet the basement isn't then that means a venting issue could occur between the basement and first floor.

If the sink and the toilet share a vent line then you should be able to tell by keeping the sink running. Eventually it will slow down and should drain in "chunks". This is because of the trap under the sink acts like the trap built into the toilet.

Before you destroy any more of your house it might be prudent to call a plumber. We can all give bullshit advice but it's not worth much without being present.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.