[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey guys! new to /dyi/ and first time poster, sorry if I missed

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 4

Hey guys! new to /dyi/ and first time poster, sorry if I missed anything obvious in advance.

So being a mechanical designer, and lover of hand made tools I've always wanted to make toys like pic related. I'm looking at first making a couple for myself and then maybe start selling good ole fashion tin wind up toys as my own side little business, I'm tired of the chinese plastic crap that always breaks easily.

So I have lots of metal working experience, but sheet metal stamping is new for me, does anyone here have experience making tin metal toys or can recommend some books? How would I go about painting the stamped metal? and would some hand made wooden moulds suffice before mass production? Yea its gonna suck hand hammering all the bodies at first.

Thanks in advance
>>
Bummpingg for shared interest
>>
>>1101095
>How would I go about painting the stamped metal?
clean the stamping lube off and apply paint. im thinking an airbrush would make sense on such a small scale, details would have to be brushed by hand.

>and would some hand made wooden moulds suffice before mass production?
for hammering maybe, probably not for stamping

>Yea its gonna suck hand hammering all the bodies at first.
i mean, its only a small percentage of the work that will go into the whole product.
>>
>>1101250

>airbrushing

would that work for such small intricate details? I started looking into a process where you print the design and then transfer it onto the metal,trying to figure out if thats process that can be done at home with out chemicals
>>
>>1101254
>would that work for such small intricate details?
i guess that would depend on the operator. most likely the details would need to be hand painted, or maybe stickers, or screen printed? it depends on the level of detail you need. the hydro dip seems like a good idea, but i know nothing of the process or cost
>>
>>1101095
>then maybe start selling good ole fashion tin wind up toys as my own side little business

I'd buy. Go for it.
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (80KB, 1294x860px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
80KB, 1294x860px
>>1101470

Thanks appreciate to hear that there is interest out there

>>1101259

pic related is the bird that inspired me, it pretty much has a wind up key built into it! I'm not much of an artist but im sure I can engineer up some stencils, that's great nail work though
>>
and a youtube link

protip: look at that shiny green undrside

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BvIuUABZkiI
>>
>>1101095
I have the same idea, but between so many others for my "upcoming" business I intended to start next year.
I'm not far on these things yet, but as on all my other stuff I just start doing something and figured it out during the process. Much more fun imo
I would pickup some gears and build the movement and then hammer the body or try other methods. I'm always creative about that when it doesn't work how I want ot. Some times i come up with nice tools which help me
>>
>>1101794

Thanks for the input, when you work an engineering job its so easy to get carried away following set systems sometimes you forget to just free ball it, its always fun to reverse engineer things.

What other things are you working on if you want to share?
>>
>>1102031
I'm currently on a watch which shall carry my business. Because I'm already a watchmaker in a big company I feel pretty safe in that area.
But I also work on puzzle boxes and music boxes. Toys for adults, complicated mechanics just for the heck of it.
Prototype of my watch should be ready 1Q '17
>>
>>1102179

That's amazing, being a lego whiz kid this shouldn't be a problem for me, but I'm more used to designing heavy machinery. Would you be able to point me in the right direction for a good clockwork motor? I'd rather design my toys around an existing one instead of making my own, I wouldnt want to blow the production costs out of proportion in the beginning.
>>
File: weckerbauteile.gif (129KB, 628x358px) Image search: [Google]
weckerbauteile.gif
129KB, 628x358px
>>1102322
Sure
Check for an old alarm with a mechanical clockwork. Almost 4free on flea markets or search the basements of old relatives. Clean it and there you go. Already pretty small and you should have something like pic related. You can use 8 - 11 for something fast ( like these jumping frogs which go crazy) and 1 - 7 for something really slow( well it's a clock so 12- 24 h runtime, but you can leave gears out or use only a few parts you know).
You can even cut the plates to have the 2 movements seperated ( I just assume you don't have small drills)
And if you want to go all out do the same with a watchmovement. You can get some from china for under 4 bucks.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.