[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Bakelite

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 4

File: DELETE.jpg (47KB, 220x220px) Image search: [Google]
DELETE.jpg
47KB, 220x220px
Hey /diy/,
I really want to make some bakelite crafts, but no matter how hard I look, there is no way to order new production bakelite (unless buying as a business or bulk)
What im asking is how to make bakelite and good methods for machining it in a home shop.
>>
>>1100984
Buy some carbolic acid (phenol) and formaldehyde then polymerize some yourself.
It's thermosetting, so you mix it up, pour it into a mold, then heat it until it cures.

It's a basic condensation reaction, and shouldn't be too hard to make yourself.
I'm not sure what you do to color it, but I imagine you just add some pigments to the uncured mix.
>>
>>1101000
Ok, it's been a little while since my last work with polymers. There are a few steps I forgot:

You're going to need a catalyst. HCl or ammonia work.
Next, you're going to need to heat it up to 150C. This is going to make it foam at atmospheric pressure, so you're going to need a vessel. A pressure cooker should do the job.
After you're done cooking, you'll end up with a hard block of bakelite. Machine it how you'd machine any other hard resin.

Best of luck my man. Make sure you have good ventilation so you don't kill yourself.
>>
File: 1480712593020.jpg (384KB, 960x1280px) Image search: [Google]
1480712593020.jpg
384KB, 960x1280px
>>1101002
Believe me, there are easier ways to kill myself should that be my goal, but seeing as it isn't, what would be a good plastic to create a glossy type of product. HDPE is easy to work with but is ugly as an amish hooker. Also, for coloring, I don't take it white food coloring would suffice, so do you know of and better methods?
>>
>>1101003
You want something rigid, right? You can get polyurethane kits for real cheap. It works like 2-part epoxy. You mix them up then pour into your mold.
Another option would be a polyester. You can buy PET kits as well.

Another option (my favorite) is PDMS. It's a silicon elastomer, but it can be made to be quite rigid if you highly crosslink it. I don't think it would machine well, but it fills molds incredibly well. It's also very easy to mix in pigments for color.
>>
File: 1481150832138.jpg (267KB, 1600x830px) Image search: [Google]
1481150832138.jpg
267KB, 1600x830px
>>1101008
What I'm making is furniture for a C32V2 and I would like it to be homemade and in white. (Mostly because im trying to get into DIY things and also because I can't buy them anywhere) So I need a good aesthetic factor whilst being rigid enough to not shatter after the bolt slams home.
>>
>>1101021
Sorry, I ment to type : a C39V2
>>
>>1101021
I hear delrin/acetal is nice for machining. Not sure how it'd be for hand-tools/files.
>>
Doesn't bakelite have asbestos in it?
>>
>>1101044
Yes. Originally. Most anything being manufactured now that would have had asbestos in it now uses glass fiber or similar stuff.
>>
Look at making your own paper micarta. It won't be as shiny smooth as your photo but it will be easy to machine and easy to manufacture without piles of harsh chemicals.

Delrin is too soft for what you want to do, look for Faux Ivory Scales on ebay or through your typical knife making suppliers.
>>
File: tufnol_set_2.jpg (131KB, 934x694px) Image search: [Google]
tufnol_set_2.jpg
131KB, 934x694px
>>1100984
tufnol still sells sheet, tube and rod to the hobbyist market
>>
>>1101090
Ooh, micarta is nice. You can get it pretty shiny if you carefully polish
>>
>>1101021
I suggest easyflo casting resin. Cures white, so you won't need to pigment it.

Make silicone mold of original grips or a sulfur free clay model of your design, pour in the resin and it'll harden without any special heating methods.
If going this route, youtube some mold making and casting videos so you have a decent understanding of how to cast certain shapes without voids and air bubbles.

Seems like a simple straightforward project. I did something similar with a 1911 I sold to a friend (made some clear plastic grips, and stuck dick pics under them before selling).
>>
i had booths at antique malls and can say with confidence that Bakelite is one of the few things that I don't see reproductions of so I can only conclude that it must be a bitch to reproduce accurately. I'm not saying that other resins wont look close but I'm not sure how accurate it would look to a trained eye.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.