[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

A FUCKING TREE JUST FELL ON MY HOUSE. What to do? I called the

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 103
Thread images: 13

File: 20161217_214714.jpg (2MB, 4160x2340px) Image search: [Google]
20161217_214714.jpg
2MB, 4160x2340px
A FUCKING TREE JUST FELL ON MY HOUSE. What to do? I called the insurance company, then the cutters, and they all say it'll be fine. But what do in the meantime?
>>
>>1100555
Good luck getting compensation on your "act of god"
Insurance companies love to take your money and then weasel out any time they are actually needed.
>>
File: 20161217_214722.jpg (2MB, 4160x2340px) Image search: [Google]
20161217_214722.jpg
2MB, 4160x2340px
>>1100555
It's getting ready to rain a couple inches before they get here.
>>
>>1100556
I don't have garbage insurance, they're covering it. Was just looking to talk to fellow home owners that have been there.
>>
>>1100555
did you hear it fall?
>>
>>1100555
Just put some duct tape on it and you will be fine.
>>
Get flashlight.
Look outside at roof from far enough away to see.
Go check the attic without actually going near or below the tree.
Did it puncture roof/ enter attic or just land flat?
Does the roof appear to be dented in or caving in under the tree?

Most likely all you can do is get a tarp or make one by taping garbage bags together and pile up blankets and use buckets to catch water if any is coming in.

Otherwise, just move furniture, car, pets away from tree and where ever it may fall (if it shifts and slides off to the side, or the roof finally gives way to the strain and collapses"

Put anything you want replaced under the tree.

Go to another area in the house that isn't sharing the same support areas, and go to sleep.

Or, open a beer, light a cig and go try to kick other trees down too.
>>
>>1100555
If it's going to rain a shitload soon too, the current base of the tree/ whatever is left of the roots etc could shift around as water fills the hole and softens the ground further.
Means the tree could tip or roll around what was the vertical axis.
>>
tree looks big enough that i'd be going to a hotel for the night. if you're gonna get a bunch of rain that tree could move more and if it rolls there's no telling where it could end up or if it would go right through the roof
>>
You should take more pictures and post them on 4chan then spend the night in a hotel.
>>
that's pretty big

apart from getting a huge tarp to try and go over the roof, I'd do nothing till the pros can get there
>>
File: 20161218_010902.jpg (2MB, 4160x2340px) Image search: [Google]
20161218_010902.jpg
2MB, 4160x2340px
>>1100555
I JUST had my roof fixed by insurance
>>
>>1100556
Take it easy, you're getting close to the edge. Read your policy before you put in a claim.

>>1100555
OP, If there isn't any immediate danger, wait until tomorrow when the tree cutters get there, don't show the bill to insurance until they tell you what is being covered; sometimes they'll cover taking the tree off the house, but not cut-up and haul away. If you know this ahead of time, you can communicate this to the tree cutters so they adjust their bill accordingly.

If its still raining, setup tarps to protect the house from rain; insurance will pay for this. Check the house for any more damage such as the whole thing being pushed off slab, cracks in drywall, etc. Make a rough checklist of the damages that you can see to confirm with the adjuster what they are paying for.
>>
this is /diy/

What do you do?

FREE TIMBER!
>>
>>1100555
I hope the tree was maintained if it was yours.
>>
My best advice is to tunnel into the tree, see what sort of civilization has been established in the heart of the god wood oak, and determine whether or not you can become the overlord of said society. If you can't, I'd suggest just burning the entire forsaken construct to the ground, or honestly just drink a bottle of tequila and forget what a tree even in. The tree could, perhaps, have become sentient in its short time alone, so don't count that out! Gotta be prepared for everything when you live in the wild west of the tree land
>>
>A FUCKING BIG LEAF ATTACK - WUT DO?
get naked, cover yourself in maple syrup, climb to the top and declare war on canada, obviously - godspeed bro.
>>
>>1100555
A
FUCKING
TREE WITH LEAVES
>>
>>1100623
This

Rebuild it with the very corpse of your enemy
>>
>>1100645
There probably isn't an exclusion for poorly maintained trees. There seems to be some salty people thinking the insurance company is going to find some technicality for denying coverage.
>>
>>1100571
7.5/10 kekked audibly
>>
>>1100555
Get in contact with a sawmill to come and slice that thing up properly for you. There is money to be made on this.
DON'T TURN IT INTO FIRE WOOD
>>
>>1100555
>But what do in the meantime?
Two chicks at the same time
>>
>>1100759
>There is money to be made on this.

after paying to have it processed, waiting a year/inch for it to dry, then trying to find someone to buy it from you for an amount that would be worth your time trying to sell it
>>
>>1100748
It's almost like you've never dealt with an insurance company before.
>>
>>1100779
I work for an insurance company.
>>
>>1100780
Then you should literally go shoot yourself
>>
Looks like a crappy silver maple that the city planted in the post WW2 subdivision in the right of way. Damn trees rot from the inside.

If its a sugar maple, as another annon mentioned, could be some nice wood inside. The crotch has some potential
>>
>>1100783
I know, I'm a terrible person for writing checks to people for tens and even hundreds of thousands of dollars.
>>
>>1100780
i've known people who worked for insurance companies. they all quit because they couldn't handle the "never give client money, keep it with the company so they make money on interest" aspect when someone they knew had to cash in on life insurance after a death.

i don't think people who work for insurance companies are scum, just the people who run it.
as for trees falling every state is different, in NY state it doesn't matter whose land the tree is on, if a tree on a neighbors property falls onto yours, you're insurance is responsible. then again you can also legally prune every limb that overhangs on your property too.

about 10 years ago a guy who lived a couple houses down had an 80 foot ash tree that was hollow and rotting. when i had trees removed he was only quoted $800 to fully remove the tree, the cheap fucker who didn't go through with it and a few years later it finally fell onto a neighbors property. thankfully all it smashed was his fence.
>>
>>1100796
>money on interest
What interest? Interest rates are still after 8 years virtually 0%. Borrowing money is on paper free for companies and even individuals for mortgages.

But you're right, the people working there, especially claim handlers are just doing their job as set forth by management and corporate. Policies are fairy standard for each company, and reasonably similar between the major companies. However the department of insurance can change drastically from state to state, and they set the minimum covered items in each place.

On the other side of the coin, an insurance policy is a legal contract, and I have talked with hundreds of people who have purchased this contract, paid for it for 30+ years, and NEVER READ THE GOD DAMN THING.
>>
>>1100802
it was well before 2008, late 90's

now for banks to get lent money buy the feds, they only need 10% the rest is generated out of thin air. but this kind of derails OP's topic.
>>
My girlfriend was driving home (works in glendale) and saw a tree on a house last night around 12 am wst
>>
>>1100555
take photos(for insurance)
take your chainsaw
turn music to full volume
and chop that thing down jezus christ
>>
>>1100802
what he's saying is the insurance company doesn't want to hand over a lump sum so they can take that money and put it into an investment. the client would then gain some laughably small interest on that money while the insurance company not only keeps that money on the books(makes their financial statements look better) but they also make money from whatever it was invested in

it's really no different then having a bank invest your money. they give you some bull shit like 1.5% while they play the stock market and make millions or even billions depending how much you let them use. the best part is that bank could potentially lose your money, a lot of risk for a measly 1.5%
>>
>>1100865
Thats how a structured annuity works. You get paid out of an entire settlement a little at a time over a defined period. A lot of settlements work like that, not just insurance. However I don't deal with life insurance so I don't exactly know.

But again, its a legal document. So when the company follows that agreed contract, they are doing nothing wrong much to the behest of the beneficiary.
>>
>>1100802
>an insurance policy is a legal contract, and I have talked with hundreds of people who have purchased this contract, paid for it for 30+ years, and NEVER READ THE GOD DAMN THING.

>>1100869
>But again, its a legal document. So when the company follows that agreed contract, they are doing nothing wrong much to the behest of the beneficiary.

Im guessing this is your coping mechanism when everyday joes come in, paid their policies for years and they get fucked?
They were sold a policy from an insurance agent, shame on them for not reading the legalese. Thats what the agent is for. But who gives a fuck right? The used car dealer tier agent just wants his commission.
>>
>>1100878
Is this your coping mechanism for feeling stupid? Seriously; if you think insurance is a scam then don't fucking buying it.
>>
>>1100885
>Is this your coping mechanism for feeling stupid?

I feel really fucking stupid, buying ambiguous sounding policies thinking you are covered by something. Come to find out you really arent when you need it.
I shouldnt have trusted any fucking insurance agent. They are common scum.
Everyone I know has had a bad experience with insurance.

Im sure you see it first hand every single day.
It must be soul sucking
>>
>>1100887
>It must be soul sucking
Its not really; I pay out millions a year in covered claims. Some of the denied claims are because people are fuckin retards that don't maintain their homes. I'd say about 2% of my job are unfortunate sadly not covered.

I meet all kinds of people, see beautiful houses and drive in beautiful locations and whistle while I work.
>>
>>1100887
In fact, why don't you tell us about your salty experience in why you hate insurance?

Not customer service related because that comes down to the ass in the chair, and that can happen in any industry. Actual policy related stuff.
>>
>>1100914
Assclown runs into me and totals new truck that I paid cash for. (Still had temp tags on it, and less than 200 miles). Insurance pays out about 85-90% of the cost of the truck, because fuck me. Also, I'm not that poster. Also, I have "good" insurance. (~$150 a month for that vehicle.)
>>
>>1101045
I don't do cars, but that sounds about normal; they pay the depreciated value of the car; not to buy a new car.
>>
>>1101045
i have coverage for new vehicles. basically for 3 years i pay an extra $25 per year and if that vehicle is totalled within those 3 years i get back every single cent i paid for the vehicle including taxes
>>
>>1100784
Any crotch has potential.
Bow chicka wow wow
>>
>>1100555
enjoy your new tree house mate.
invite your childhood friends over and smoke some weed or something. no girls alowed
>>
>>1101057
>not including extras and delivery. Processing charge of $150 dollars applies. Not redeemable within 6 months of application or in cases of collision with males. Other terms and conditions apply
>>
>>1101201
Nope my insurance company is legit. About 6 years ago I spent $97k on a new truck which ended up being stolen about a month later. They rolled it into a ditch and the fire department had to cut the roof off to get the idiots out which totalled the truck. About 3 days later my agent handed my a cheque
>>
>>1101219
was their skin color blackish?
>>
>>1101229
Indians. I live about 5 min from a reservation and they absolutely love stealing from whites. Sad part is they only got a year probation. Not like their probation terms would even be enforced anyway, they probably went right back out to steal more shit. Hell last year they tried to steal my combine but they couldn't figure out how to actually drive it. Woke up in the morning and the combine was sitting in the barn running with the door smashed out
>>
>>1100780
Please eat and Olive Garden Neverending pasta bowl full of docks, then die in a fire.
>>
>>1101231
Feather kind or 7-11 kind?
>>
>>1101249
Autocorrect sure can take the punch out of a good burn, huh? If only there was a way to proofread this shit before posting.
>>
>>1101251
Feather. They are fucking horrible here
>>
You should cut the tree up and use its wood to repair your home.
>>
File: bb.png (1MB, 1022x817px) Image search: [Google]
bb.png
1MB, 1022x817px
What in the heck are you doing, OP? That's not how you make a tree house!
>>
File: 20161219_074637.jpg (2MB, 4160x2340px) Image search: [Google]
20161219_074637.jpg
2MB, 4160x2340px
>>1100555
Got some better shots this morning before they cut it down.
>>
File: 20161219_074617.jpg (3MB, 4160x2340px) Image search: [Google]
20161219_074617.jpg
3MB, 4160x2340px
>>1100571
Funny enough, my neighbor actually came over in a panic yesterday morning and asked if I knew it fell.

Roots are gone, it only died a few months ago.
>>
File: 20161219_074607.jpg (3MB, 4160x2340px) Image search: [Google]
20161219_074607.jpg
3MB, 4160x2340px
>>1100581
Thanks for all this. Was actually really helpful the night of, but I was pissed, scared, and a little drunk. Ended up drinking until I passed out after making sure everything was going to hold. Yeah, it fucked up the roof really bad, and some cracked drywall. It held up alright, and the window never broke.
>>
>>1101360
It may have died a few months ago but it had been dying for a long time before that. This is why any trees of size that die need to be removed ASAP. Anyone else browsing this board, you have been warned.
>>
File: Laetiporus_cincinnatus_14060.jpg (152KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
Laetiporus_cincinnatus_14060.jpg
152KB, 800x600px
FYI from an amateur mushroom hunter: if you see one of these (Laetiporus cincinnatus) growing from a base of your tree in your yard, you should (1) pick it, cook it, and eat it, they're delicious, and (2) cut down the tree, because L. cincinnatus growing on it is a good sign it is dying.
>>
>>1101375
I honestly knew that's what did it, just called it root rot, despite it not being "rot". Wish I'd known it was edible.

>>1101369
Deep down I really knew that. But I love having the squirrels play in the tree for my enjoyment. And I should have taken care of it when I noticed a problem.
>>
>>1101375
>>1101383
the L. cincinnatus or "chicken mushroom" is pretty easy to identify, but to someone with no experience with hunting and eating wild mushrooms, be really careful. it could be dangerous if you don't know what you're doing.
>>
>>1100555
That tree dindu nuffin wrong
>>
>>1100571
OP, someone could have put that tree there on purpose, I would recommend getting forensics done on it.
>>
>>1101384
Good warning for others, but no worries here. They leveled everything back out with a bobcat, so it's gone.

New topic, when and how should I seed to keep from having washout? Whole yard is dirt now, it's winter and cold as fuck. Should I cover with straw until it's warmer?
>>
>>1101389
Is the yard sloped or flat? If its sloped, you want something relatively indigenous with a deep root set to stabilize the soil. These are usually large bushes.

If its flat, you'll be better off improving drainage than throwing seeds around. French drains, grade the soils, and other man-made fixes can be done yourself. Give us a better idea of what you're trying to accomplish.
>>
>>1101369
I don't even know how OP went that long without removing it. I had one dying in my yard and one tree service after another stopped by offering to remove the thing for money. My landlord wouldn't have it dealt with so I ended up paying it for it.
>>
>>1101402
Tree cutters only go trolling for work after a major wind storm; same with contractors. If the house is still standing and doesn't look like its about to collapse, its probably fine to stay in. This is in response to all the people telling him to stay in a hotel; a lot of insurance companies will only pay for the hotel if there is a danger to the inhabitants or it is simply unlivable. Unless you're fine paying for a hotel because you're a giant pussy, then do whatever you want. Pulling a large tree off a house safely isn't an easy thing to do and isn't recommended for the average dude.
>>
>>1101395
It's definitely sloped in three directions. Main concern is nothing growing for the next few months and don't want to waste time, effort, seed, or money on something that won't do anything. Because they flattened everything, by my asking, because I had a tree removed on the other side of the yard a couple decades ago, and the missing roots left a hole. It's nothing but dirt now, all facing downhill.
>>
>>1101402
No one said anything ever about the tree. But on Sunday I had three callers at my door offering to remove it. You know, when it was leaning on the house. After a major wind system moved through. It has a few scrawny branches at the very top that looked dead early this spring. Then it full sprouted in may, and was obvious completely dead at the end of June.
>>
I had a tree fall on my house during hurricane Matthew. Basically the ground became so soggy the entire tree uprooted, roots, dirt, everything.

We have Georgia Farm Bureau. http://www.gfb.org

The tree removal, roof repair plus repairing our deck came in at around 4k.

Was no hassle. We called, they told me to call a tree service and get the part of the tree on the house removed and have them patch it, they would come out and quote. Was painless.
>>
>>1101419
>has

Had. God damn it ;__;
>>
>>1101421

Verizon was pretty cool too. Had free data with no power. Powered tablets and phones from an inverter from our cars with extension cord. We have propane so we still had hot water and could cook.
>>
>>1101426

forgot pic
>>
>>1101427
Nig tier boost mobile does the same thing for me every time anything happens. Good on them, but it's not exclusive.
>>
>>1100556
You know, my insurance specifically claims asteroid impacts as being covered by them.
If that isn't an act of god I don't know what is.
>>
>>1101656
What kind of legal document says "god" in it? I've had people argue with me that because it was an act of God the loss should be covered.

Well what is NOT an act of god then?
>>
>>1101656
Lol, of course they do, like that is likely to happen to someone.

Do they include vehicular damage? that one is way more likely
>>
This happened to me recently, a lot more damage was caused removing the tree. Since wood is flammable, I'd suggest setting fire to it then sweeping the ashes out of your home.
>>
>>1100557
>It's getting ready to rain a couple inches before they get here.

Blue tarps.

Are you any good with a chain saw?
>>
>>1101921
You might be a little late. The tree was still in the roof when the rain came.
>>
File: 1475710867140.png (880KB, 568x720px) Image search: [Google]
1475710867140.png
880KB, 568x720px
>>1101421
Fuck Mathew and Hermine.
>>
>>1101357
yo is there a branch sticking out of the ceiling of your living room?
>>
>>1102008
Yes. And it got really got damn big just outside the house.
>>
>>1100556
This.

Insurance companies are legal organized crime.
>>
>>1102015
damn, what state do you live in? hope everything works out for ya, bro
>>
This is why any tree that can damage a home should be cut down before it gets tall.

I had a few of those and dealt with them fairly easily by preloading them with my truck winch (using a tree strap and snatch block on another tree to pull away from truck) then felling them properly.

Since this is /diy/, check out the Husqvarna and Still tree felling vidyas and especially the whole BC Faller Training Standard series on Youtube.

Trees near homes should be too small to hurt anything and felled before becoming a threat. Now I've no worries during ice storms.

Wear proper PPE. It's cheap enough.

Many people get good use out of cheap chain saws. Learn how to file a chain properly.
>>
>>1103259
Thanks for the tips. I will be replacing the tree, but won't let anything get tall enough to do damage again. Probably an apple or pear tree so I'll get something out of it eventually.

Never really had enough use to buy a chainsaw, I can borrow from my father when needed. But I never would have considered taking on this tree by myself anyway; it was way too close to the house, and power lines five feet on the other side. Though I have plenty of experience felling trees, in the woods, away from people and structures. And of course I know how to file a chain.

But the big ass tarp they put up is really making me wish I'd gone with the blue metal roof I wanted the last time the insurance fixed the roof. Was just blown off shingles that time.
>>
>>1103449
Metal roofs are wonderful. Mine was on a barn sometime before the 1960s then stripped and installed on my home. If I hit the lottery I'd use modern metal roofing over shingles (a shit) any day. Shingles are terrible which is why industrial and military construction avoids them.
>>
>>1100581
This. Lol.

Sorry you too suffer from the plague of Satin that is the monkey tree.

I just spent a grand having one cut out that was about to murder me. Now I am blessed with a 6 foot fucking stump in the side of my house.

>buy new or rent till u die anons.

Owning a shithole is absolutely fucking stupid
>>
File: aqua teen 13.jpg (25KB, 424x318px) Image search: [Google]
aqua teen 13.jpg
25KB, 424x318px
>>1100646
>>
>>1100784
>The crotch has some potential.

Project peenor 2.0
>>
File: 5.AboutUs_001.jpg (122KB, 940x350px) Image search: [Google]
5.AboutUs_001.jpg
122KB, 940x350px
>>1100796
>>
>>1100555
0: don't panic or worry about rain, that is something insurance will take care of
1: don't stand under it.
2: stay out of the room it is resting against
3: call a couple house repairers and get some estimates.
4: don't worry, everything will be fine
5: don't be like me and not read the old thread before posting

/quick reply
>>
>>1101231
Kek. I am seing an influx of meth heads. Been buying yard sale coolers the last few years. Put dead animals in and glue the lid shut. People are so stupid. Yeti stickers make them go quick.

Mixing a new gas can with a gallon of hydrochloric acid is a lot of fun. Lately I been putting dog shit on a board screwed to a rake handle and put in leaves. Game cam is a blast
>>
>>1101360
"Huh, no, I didn't realize a huge fucking tree fell on my house"
>>
>>1105102
I really didn't know what to say to him. Considered fucking with him like I really didn't know. But he's a really nice older gentleman, so I just told him that yes I knew and explained I had people coming to take care of it.
>>
>>1100555
ask it to move

or at least try to figure out a way to ask it to leave.
>>
>>1101384
No "shelf" or "ear" type mushrooms you find growing on trees in North America are poisonous or inedible. FYI.
>>
>>1101045
Gap insurance. Check it out, faggot.
>>
>>1100555
>OP walks right under it to take the picture
>>
>>1107338
It was raining, the fuck else would I go?
Thread posts: 103
Thread images: 13

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.