[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

stupid things your tenants do

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 100
Thread images: 16

File: 1481794976465.jpg (371KB, 1224x1632px) Image search: [Google]
1481794976465.jpg
371KB, 1224x1632px
so this dumbass kid locked himself out of his room, and instead of knocking on my door and asking me to open it for him, he decided it was better to break in and destroy the door in the process.

What is with kids these days? Is their first impulse to just break someone else's property?

And after he came home from work, he started trying to fix it himself, like I wouldn't notice that he bumfucked the whole door up.

I think I will wait until after he "fixes" it, and then tell him it will cost $534 out of his deposit to replace the door and lock hardware. maybe that will send a message.

And I will probably have to replace the carpet too, or at least shampoo it. he always wears his muddy ass boots inside and fucks up the carpet.
>>
Rent by word of mouth and don't rent to young people. If you never advertise then you can make sure you get tenants you want.

Bill him for the damage and keep the deposit because if he stays and does more damage you won't be covered for that. Security deposits should be to compensate you when tenants flee without paying.

I've been a landlord and worked repair jobs for them. I never advertise rentals. You should be allowed complete discrimination where your property is concerned. You can have that if you are reasonably creative.
>>
>>1100248
If he actually does a good job replacing it, just drop it. No harm no foul.

If not, what this guy said >>1100255 send him the bill and don't pull it from his deposit.

Also $534 for a fucking door a new door knob? That's a little ridiculously overpriced don't you think? Don't be a rip off cockbag for the sake of "punishing" him.
>>
>>1100248
First of all. If hes old enough to rent a place. Hes not a kid. Second of all having a rental with carpet is your own fault and daily wear and tear isn't legally the renters deal its yours. Third that door doesn't cost 500+ dollars to replace. Its clearly a shitty aluminum clad foam cored crappy generic door.
>>
File: 1478035634559.gif (660KB, 356x272px) Image search: [Google]
1478035634559.gif
660KB, 356x272px
>>1100248
>>
>>1099266
Why tho?
>>
>>1100260
Not him. Commercial door and lock hardware. I thought it was cheap.

You didn't notice the steel/aluminum cladding in the op?
>>
File: 1481772983132.jpg (91KB, 336x442px) Image search: [Google]
1481772983132.jpg
91KB, 336x442px
>>1100248
Nice one anon, actually made me chuckle.
>>
File: 1476824392188.jpg (118KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
1476824392188.jpg
118KB, 600x600px
We already answered this for you 2 days ago.

Pretty sure you said YOU pried the door open in the first thread too...

What is your endgame here?
>>
File: IMG_20161210_223000.jpg (111KB, 262x393px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20161210_223000.jpg
111KB, 262x393px
>>1100547
>>
>>1100248
Well played op
>>
>>1100248
seems like its your fault for providing your tenants with shit quality doors.
>>
>these tards give people a bad name
>dont rent to young people
>the cycle perpetuates and the young never move out creating a retardation
>>
>>1100264
Found the butthurt mellennial.
>>
>>1100248
>rent to young men that seem responsible
>turns out they're using the unit as an underground concert venue
>find shit like this online
>>
>>1100248
>What is with kids these days?
Kids have always been like this. Either way, gj
>>
>>1100473
>>1100541
>>1100547
>>1100629
OP you sneaky fucking bastard
>>
>>1100260
>Don't be a rip off cockbag for the sake of "punishing" him.

He's a slumlord. What do you expect out of him?
>>
OP shenanigans aside, this is a good idea for a thread and I have many complaints.

Namely, assholes that pour cooking grease down the drain instead of putting it into the trash, then complain when their plumbing is backed up later on.

If it's solid at room temperature, DON'T FUCKING PUT IT DOWN THE DRAIN YOU FUCKS. If I have to roto-root one more goddam septic tank ima flip shit.

Also, control your kids, letting them kick the panels out of the storm doors so the rain comes right in and ruins the interior door is a huge pain in the ass.

Don't use electric heaters if you have central heating. It may seem like a cost saving idea, but when you're fucking plugs burn out and I have to spend minutes tracking the circuit to find the broken plug (plot twist, it's almost never where the heater was actually plugged in, and it's usually behind some heavy piece of furniture) to replace it, AND there's a risk of actually burning your house down. I've seen people string drop cords and power strips because half of the plugs stopped working just to get one shitty electric heater into a specific room.
>>
Something about renting rots your brain:

One time I moved some tenants into one of my properties that was pretty new. Three months after they move in I get a call that there is water coming out from the dish washer. Fuck. They managed to bend the heating element so that it melted a hole in the bottom just enough to let water seep through. I used some high temperature epoxy and sealed up the hole. I figured that it would eventually leak again, but $5 for epoxy vs $300 for a dish washer, it's worth a try.
When I go under the sink to turn the water back on, I notice a bucket under the garbage disposal.
"Oh, it's been leaking". Nobody knows how long...somewhere between a week and a month.
"So, when when were you planning on calling me?"
"hurrrr"
After I fixed that, fast forward 9 months. I want to sell the property, so I give them notice. All of a sudden there's a list of about 10 items that need attention. Some of them are things that have been a problem for a while, including the fucking dishwasher has been leaking again, for an indeterminate period of time.
Fuck you, you imbeciles. This is why you have to rent, and will always have to rent.
I fixed everything and still sold the house for $37k profit.

I have more retard renter stories. Anybody want them?
>>
>>1102603
Oh well, here's more:
I have an older home on rural property that had some parts that date back to the 40's with various things added on over the decades. It needs work, but it's a cool house.

For a while I had some renters in it. One set of renters had the refrigerator go out. Ok, fine. It was preexisting with the house, so I'll replace it. I ordered a new one exactly like the old one and just had the appliance guys deliver it and haul off the old one so I don't have to go out there. The renters proceed to turn the delivery guys away because "They brought the wrong one, this one is too small". Too bad, it's exactly what was there before. It's not your problem anymore anyway, you're out.

The next people thought it was too cold outside one winter, so they brought their horse into one of the bedrooms that had an outside door.
That's fucking horse shit on my floor.
"But we tore out the carpet so it would be easy to clean".
I can see that, fuck you, and fuck your ancestors with a rusty pipe.

What is it that some people can seem like nice people, they have good jobs and are neat and clean when you interview them, and then something snaps and they turn into total retards.
>>
>>1101658
Hello, colorado springs
>>
File: mess.jpg (232KB, 1280x960px) Image search: [Google]
mess.jpg
232KB, 1280x960px
Rented a small residential house in town to some distant relations for about 4 years. First couple years are trouble free, only a few lies here and there, and some standard broken shit.

Next couple years I'm out of town, have some close family check up on it from time to time... Huge mistake(s). Come back to town for a visit, see that the roof has been leaking significantly, a bunch of shit is broken, and the place is basically torn to shit. Give notice to fuck off out so I can replace the roof and renovate, and find my house filled with garbage and my appliances missing. This after giving an extra two weeks to vacate. Following this, they have the audacity to ask for the security deposit back after destroying every floor in the home and not telling me for 6 months that the roof and sink drain were leaking.

Never, ever rent to family.
>>
File: messs.jpg (171KB, 1280x960px) Image search: [Google]
messs.jpg
171KB, 1280x960px
>>1102627
>>
>>1102627
>>1102629
correction never rent to this anon's shitty inbred family
>>
>>1101650

You know millenial is now anyone up to the age of about 35 right?

If you have a birthdate of 1980-2000 you are a millenial. That's the definition.

I only say because i see people misuse this every fucking day to mean 'anyone younger than me' and it annoys after a while.
>>
>>1102630
They are distant relations by marriage, not blood relatives, so I'm happy to agree with you.

Correcting a correction: don't try to do anyone any 'favors' by renting to them.
>>
>>1100260
You go price solid wood steel covered doors and anti-theft hardware then add on labor fees with a fucktard tax too.
>>
>>1102636
http://www.homedepot.com/p/L-I-F-Industries-36-in-x-80-in-6-Panel-Steel-Gray-Security-Commercial-Door-with-Hardware-UKSP3680L/202516074?&cm_mmc=Shopping|THD|G|0|G-VF-PLA-D30-Doors-Windows|?&gclid=CjwKEAiA7ejCBRDlp8uF6ezPnjoSJAAPED7ML3npEVrLxZcDP04X1TZDaP1zRbV5NdY-WhWO1XTngRoC6K7w_wcB
>>
>>1102617
I have to say that most of my renters have been fine. There's just the occasional one who ends up turning into an assbag despite all of your precautions.

I helped my grandparents clean up after a tenant ended up being schizophrenic and going write-on-the-walls crazy. The state of california hates people who own property, so it can take up to a year to get somebody out of your house. This lady just kept getting crazier and crazier. When the Sheriff finally drug her off, we went in to look at the damage.

Aside form the aforementioned ramblings about Jews and aliens on every surface, there wasn't much damage that couldn't be helped by a good scrubbing. What was the problem was that the place was full of junk and trash. As we made our way to the bedroom, it got thicker until in the center of the room, there was a hollowed out area lined with blankets and pillows. She'd made a nest.

California, being nothing but SJW cunts, requires that any possessions left behind by tenants must be stored for up to 90 days and the tenant must be given the opportunity to collect the possessions. As we cleaned up, we decided that we were ignorant of what a crazy schizobitch would consider valuable, so we stuffed everything, trash, valuables, and small appliances into big garbage bags.

As we were cleaning the bedroom, my grandpa says "What's this?" and holds up a vibrator. (We were wearing double layered rubber gloves) It was the kind with a type of purple jelly rubber and lots of bumps, ridges, and fingers all over it. As I looked at him, wishing I didn't need to have that conversation with my grandfather, it turned on. Without missing a beat, he raises an eyebrow and says "Not sure why I had to ask" and tossed it into a trash bag still humming away.
>>
>carpet
My last rental had a carpet cleaning requirement in the contract. If I didn't have a bill for the cleaning when I moved out they'd have someone do it and dock my deposit.

It's a small isolated town and one of the last places still allowing pets of any kind. I miss renting in the city during the housing crisis, landlords would suck your cock while cleaning the carpets for you just to get half the months rent.
>>
>What is with kids these days? Is their first impulse to just break someone else's property?
>implying stupid people didn't exist twenty or thirty years ago
I shiggied, then I diggied.
>>
I've only ever rented once in my life for 8 months, but it was pretty fucking nice. I got to go to college and quickly went insane from having nothing to do. The landlord was an old Greek guy who did all his own repairs, and one day my hot water heater shit out on me so I called him up, he got a new one for me, but before he installed it he had leave because his daughter was having a kid. Shower time came along and I had no water, so I replaced it myself. After that he always asked for my help fixing shit. I ended up learning a lot from that old guy, and after he paid me for helping him, rent was stupidly cheap.

We had very few cases of genuinely stupid things, but I am now fully convinced that no one knows what a damn pilot light is anymore.

We did have one girl who hit a fawn deer and decided bring it home and try to save it. Thing managed to punch two holes in the drywall and shatter a sliding glass door before her boyfriend got it outside.
>>
>>1102656
>carpet cleaning fees
So glad that's not legal where I live now. I'm absolutely fastidious, because my parents were filthy and I hated it. My last two rentals tried to fuck me over carpet that had nothing wrong with it because DURR it just needed to be replaced.
Luckily I had photos from when I moved in.
Obviously they're not all like that but man, most of the people I've rented from have been scumbags.
>>
>>1101740
I'm a grown ass adult who has always poured grease down the drain and never had a problem and yes I've lived in houses for years.

i've always had central heating and used electric heaters and don't know why that would be a problem either.
>>
File: 1482248259141.png (81KB, 176x216px) Image search: [Google]
1482248259141.png
81KB, 176x216px
>>1101658
You thought these faggots were responsible?
>>
File: 1482447668460.gif (774KB, 500x281px) Image search: [Google]
1482447668460.gif
774KB, 500x281px
>>1101658

where is this?
>>
>>1102664
>save a fawn deer
>it freaks out and fucks up your apartment
classic college girl
>>
>Get engaged
>Lookin for new appartment with her instead of living with my friends
>She worked at home depot, landlord that comes in all of the time offered us an apartment for 650 everything included (cable/electric/water/waste/etc).
>Best landlord ever
>"Hey guys X across the hall said that the water heater doesnt put boiling water out of the faucet, so I bought two new water heaters
>"Never noticed how bad the carpet clashes with the walls we just painted, new carpet gets here saturday
>"I heard in passing that you wanted a dish washer, so I bought some for everyone in appartment
>"Its christmas so rents on me
>"Wow it is like we are some kind of savages, not having cable tv, guy comes next week to install
>"Is it really america if we don't have a yard? Lets build a deck for both appartment entrances and fill in the parking between the two and plant grass. I think I have a picknick table in storage
>"Really sad to hear that you two are moving out of state, congrats on being pregnant, don't open this letter til you cross state border (1k in cash)
>No last month or security deposit required
>>
I've been lucky enough to never live in an apartment but I've rented two houses.

>live in rural area
>rent house in country on land owned by same family for many generations
>have in contract that i am responsible for mowing but may use mower on site and provided gas (farm gas)
>80+ year old family grandpa comes every day to row random part of the lawn
>landlord gets on me for not mowing myself

My second rented house was better. My landlord told me his horror stories and I didn't understand how a person could do that to the place they live. I convinced him to pay for miniblinds for every window and he didn't mind that my payment was sometimes a couple days late by mail because he knew I was just a moron when it comes to doing things on time. I trusted him to do the final walk-through without me because I was busy getting married and he gave me my full deposit back because I took care of my living space.
>>
>>1103095
What a legit lovely guy.
Probably never got burned once in his ownership to be like that.
>>
>>1103122

We were the only people to have moved in in over a decade. He was burned pretty bad by the previous tenants but it is just his nature. Previous people in our unit:
>Unreported roach infestation
>Overloading appliances
>Had 15 other hmong they claimed were guests
>Etc

We helped him rebuild room from ground up. He is a single guy in his 60s who burned his brain out on acid and does landlording as a way to keep himself busy/distracted while taking care of his 100+ year old extreme alzheimers mother.

Next time I go through that town going to find him an kek'n gift of some sort.
>>
>>1103028
It's really an issue with septic tanks. If you're on an actual sewer system it's not as big of a deal, unless your pipes are a ways from the system.

Electric heaters pull more electricity than a lot of people realize. On older homes with light wiring, or lower end mobile homes with light wiring, this causes problems.
>>
File: 1480118549932.png (23KB, 600x850px) Image search: [Google]
1480118549932.png
23KB, 600x850px
>>1100248
Dude.

Price him fairly; make him pay for what damage he has done and no more. And don't let him cause more damage if you can prevent it by just telling him not to.

Kids are idiots. ALL kids are idiots. They just don't know better; they lack experience because, being young, they can't possibly have made all those experiences yet.

Just explain it to him; how to not fuck up in the future, how to do better, how much he will have to pay as-is.

Of course, if that doesn't work and he refuses to learn, then by all means fuck him over.
>>
>>1102655
Good stuff m8. More if you got em.
>>
>>1100248
Don't say "kids these days," it makes you sound old. Also, it's a generalization. Just like people who say all landlords are scumbags.

Actually, "scumbag" is a fitting term for you since you're going to overcharge the kid for replacing the door.

Landlords these days.
>>
>>1103335
It's a parody repost, dunkass
>>
>>1102632
Millennial is actually up for debate. Depending on your source, it starts at different years. Considering there is no single "generational date authority", blow it out your ass. Both of you.
>>
>>1100248
>On military course, on military base
>Share room with three other guys
>Notice that our room lock is getting sticky/unresponsive
>Note it in the big book of "Please fix this shit"
>Week goes by, door gets harder and harder to unlock
>We'd leave it unlocked, but that's against the rules
>Get back from morning PT sweaty as all fuck
>Have 30 minutes to shower, change and get on the base bus
>Door is not opening
>Options are go into neighbour's room, onto building ledge, and kick in our window screen (second floor)
>Buddy starts boot fucking the door
>Gets it open enough that I can jam my finger into the door jam and open the door
>Go for shower
>Other buddy has taken the entire door mechanism off and put it in his drawer
>Write it in the big book of please fix
>We lock our shit up as best we can and go about our day
>Three days later, polishing boots
>Warrent walks up to me
>"Who lives in room XYZ?"
>"I don't know, let's see...(walk to room) Oh hey, that's my room number, Warrent."
>His face darkens and he has an evil smile
>"SO MAYBE YOU CAN EXPLAIN WHY THERE IS NO DOOR MECHANISM."
>Calmly explain everything, including how we wrote it all in the big book of please fix
>He is visibly angry, but can't jack me for shit
>Walking around later, the entire building cleaning and maintenance staff are lined up in the halls, getting jacked

Good day.
>>
>>1103454
Kek

When I say you really showed them I'm actually serious, that was fucking hilarious
>>
>>1103509
That was the worst fucking part of my deployment. Hell, it was the worst part of everything, at least being shot at you knew it was gonna happen.
Had doors falling off, light fixtures melting. Every time, there's be a million requests to unfuck it, and every time, it'd get ignored until it broke beyond repair, and then Jimmy Dipshit would get bitched out for an hour because someone else didn't do their goddamn job.
>>
>>1103454

At the end of the day all that really matters is that we aren't worthless boomers.
>>
Wow im glad i airbnb my spare room for more than my neighbor rents her entire condo out for. Renters must suck
>>
>>1101740
>oh but its ok, I flushed the grease and toilets are immune to clogging
fuck people who think its acceptable to pour grease and other dumb shit into the drain like they are trash chutes.

The heater thing is stupid though, stop being a shitty owner and crying when your tenants are cold cause your crap hole has shit insulation, shit heating and shitty electrical.

Renting from you is the only stupid thing any of your tenants have done I'd wager.
>>
>>1103061
>>1102619
>>
>>1102633
About favors for friends: We had a basement rental room + bathroom, no cooking. Army buddy asked me to rent to a relation -- and to give her a sweet deal on rent. We rented to her at market rate. He found out and severed our friendship. What a dick; renting your house is a $%Â¥&); business!!
>>
File: 1.jpg (3MB, 2401x4057px) Image search: [Google]
1.jpg
3MB, 2401x4057px
>>1100248
>no smoking in apartment
>they open window and smoke near it

>no pets allowed
>"oh i bet fish don't count"
>55 gallon aquarium sags floor because it wasn't installed correctly
>due to it not being level its silicone comes loose and the entire thing dumps its contents

>no children allowed
>gets pregnant

>toilet is clogged
>maybe flushing it more will fix the problem

Also, OP, never ever ever have carpeting in an apartment.

Also, anyone else thinking about going into the landlord business, fucking DON'T do it. Rent storage instead. It is far far less headache and it will always be fully rented 24/7/365.

>>1102627
>>1102629
See this image set? 2 full days of cleaning were required. The fridge had to be replaced because it was full of rotten meat. These are photos taken for litigation. Thank god their electric and water were cut off after they couldn't pay the bills. Otherwise, the toilet would have poured water all over the place and apartments below since they disconnected its water line for some reason. They were 6 months overdue for paying rent and it took that long for the lawyers to get them out because they had kids.

At least they were not cooking meth.
>>
File: 1482941006424.jpg (994KB, 2048x1536px) Image search: [Google]
1482941006424.jpg
994KB, 2048x1536px
>>1100248
This.
>>
>>1105366
What the fuck is going on in that image?
>>
>>1105392
see
>>1105333
>>
>>1100264

Word. But the idiot shouldent have fucked the door. I would give him an ultimatum:

1, move out, terminate the lease. Deposit covers door.

2. Bill him for all the real expenses for the door replacement.

3. Make him hire someone else to fix up a new door, with landlords agrement.

But eh, I dunno about sæumlording.
>>
>>1102616

Its just part of the game. Even old people can be this shit. Little grandma Pingu, didnt call when the floor bathroom tile cracked. Water damage and rot throughout the building. Thanks grandma you fucking waste of life.
>>
>>1103122
Notice that the landlord in >>1103095
followed part of the advice in >>1100255
by offering to rent to someone who he had interacted with in the past and who he knew had a steady job, instead of just throwing the unit on craigslist.
>>
>>1101740
As an electrician we generally recommend to the landlords to forbid portable electric heaters. When it starts to get cold we refer to it as fire season. They take the cheap brown extension cord rated at ~6A, plug a portable heater in it that draws ~1,500W (12.5A), and then it is usually plugged in a general lighting circuit rated for 15 A. That breaker protects the wiring in the wall, not what dumb shits plug into it. There is usually other things on the breaker which quickly help to trip it, but if there isn't somewhere in the house a backstabbed plug starts or a poorly twisted junction in the attic starts burning. Another semi-frequent occurrence is aluminum wire connections not being tight and burning apart. Wallyworld's website->portable electric heater->1st result->$10 and it goes up to 1,500W
>>1103566
It isn't about being a shitty owner you twat. It is called protecting your property and potentially the lives of all your tenants. If the tenant chose to live in such a shitty place that is their choice. No one is holding a gun to their head. Wear warmer clothes.

>I don't even own rental property. I've seen the shit people do to them and heeded the advice from landlords I know.
>>
>>1100473
Ooooh
>>
>>1103519
At the end of the day, putting pointless labels on groups of people and attacking the label instead of judging their individual merits is exactly the same mindset that leads to an unrealistic sense of entitlement (among other unsavory things). By all means, blow it out your ass as well.
>>
>>1105600
its a good explanation but even to the above average person you think one room is cold how could i make this one room warmer. They plug in like a lamp its not like they come with lengthy warnings.

>>1105358
it would take me way more than two days to clean that shit. you are super fast.

if you think fish are a pet you need to write in something more specific like no tanks bigger than 30 gallons. I've had tanks my whole life and i've seen clauses like nothing above 55 gallons. or 55 gallons first floor only. a few things along those lines. but generally speaking I don't think much about them being pets as more of a hobby. I think most places could sustain up to 55 gallons without a problem.
>>
>>1105638
>it would take me way more than two days to clean that shit. you are super fast.

There was 6 of us cleaning that we'd already been cleaning most of the day. All those larger garbage bags are stuff we'd already moved just to get into the living room and kitchen. The smaller garbage bags were already there.

I don't rent living space anymore. 55gal is 459lbs. If the person doesn't setup the take correctly there is problems. Like not using a stand with enough square inches of support spread over x square feet of area. Knowing where the floor joists are is also important. This was also a vertical tank, not a horizontal tank. The kind with about 6 sides like a column. It had a rather small footprint.
>>
>>1105392
I'm assuming that's the lid to the septic tank, and the dumbass sealed it shut so it couldn't leak. So when gases fill up the empty space, it's going to force all the poop back up through the pipes making it come through all the drains and toilets in the house.
>>
>>1105677
>>>1105333
>>
>>1105677
>drains and toilets in the neighborhood
fixed
>>
>>1105366
>implying silicone is hard to remove.
>>
>>1105717
Something tells me he coated the inside edges of the hole and the lid too.
>>
>>1105413

That is a tough one, I have had a landlord make my life hell because my lights would flicker. I complained once and he made my life hell until I left. Later the place burned down because he did his own electrical.
>>
>>1105733
>tfw the landlord turns off the internet just to fuck with people
>>
>>1105736

For us he would "forget" to lock the common doors and homeless people would steal our cloths or vomit in the dryer all over our cloths.

Nothing like waking up to a homeless guy lying in a pool of his own vomit in the entry hall asking for a cig when you open the door.

Never got how this got back at us worse than it got back at him.
>>
File: 1482651871933.gif (997KB, 500x332px) Image search: [Google]
1482651871933.gif
997KB, 500x332px
>>1103061
>>
>>1105600
> If the tenant chose to live in such a shitty place that is their choice
What a reprehensible thought, the world doesn't need rat-fuck apartments so that people who aren't wealthy enough to afford a home that won't kill them can have a place to live. Just because people are poor or ignorant of a homes construction is no reason to endanger their lives and those around them. As an electrician you should know that all that code exists to keep just this kind of shit from happening or at least to minimize the risk of catastrophe. I hope someone cheaped out on your street side sewer line so you can live in the shit you seem to approve of so much.
>>
>had a tenant who clogged the toilet
>he couldn't fix it
>didn't call me and just let shit sit in the toilet
>a month passes, I come by to check out the place and collect rent
>notice a few drain flies
>go to the bathroom
>the entire toilet is covered in drain fly eggs with decomposing shit water

God fucking damn it that was disgusting. That was the only bathroom too. I have no idea how the fuck he managed to not use his bathroom for a week.

Why do tenants try to hide shit? It's not like we aren't going to find out. In fact trying to hide it always makes it worse.
>>
>>1103140
Ugh, Hmong. Total scum.
>>
File: ray liotta goodfellas laughing.jpg (80KB, 960x720px) Image search: [Google]
ray liotta goodfellas laughing.jpg
80KB, 960x720px
>>1101650
Haaaaahahahaa
>>
>>1100264
>First of all. If hes old enough to rent a place. Hes not a kid.

You get hung up on inconsequential shit a lot, don't you
>>
>>1102643

The door in OP's pic is clearly an aluminium foam core door with a standard residential lockset. You've pictured a security door with a commercial lockset, which are nowhere near to the same thing. Try about $150:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/JELD-WEN-36-in-x-80-in-6-Panel-Primed-Premium-Steel-Prehung-Front-Door-with-Brickmould-THDJW166100278/202036444

A high quality but no-frills lockset of the kind shown in the pic can be bought for about $50 if you're being stupid about it.
>>
>>1100835
What's wrong w the door?
>>
>>1102636

You don't get to add a fucktard tax. You keep your receipts and you get to charge a fair price for your time (which for doing unskilled or barely-skilled labor is going to be about $15 an hour). Then you give your tenant an itemized list of damages.

As a landlord you're legally allowed to deduct exactly how much it cost to remediate the damage to your property. Over charging on rental deposits is an easy way to wind up in small claims court, and it's also criminal fraud. In my state you may sue for up to twice the amount wrongfully withheld.

Given that every moron out there has a phone with a camera and can document the condition of the property, it's pretty damn stupid to try it these days.
>>
Whats the policy of apartment manager when dealing with repairs? Specifically things like rotten doors that have cracks/brittle and the wood holster cracking? Do they take money out of your security deposit?

Does security deposit count towards normal wear/tear?
>>
>>1106446
If you kick a hole in the wall, then you're on the hook for it. If a door rots because its old, that's not your fault.
>>
So can't you just rent to someone else?
Housing here is in short supply so it may be different.
My municipal got 10mil extra SEK just to replace the shit the immigrant apes did to the apartments they get to live in for nothing. (and this municipal isn't particularly big, 65k people)

We really should deport people like this. Or just push them out on a rubber dingy or something. Make the message clear. But no, that'd be far too reasonable. You have to let them hurt people who live here directly first. Not that they're not doing that by their very presence. Property value is actually dropping in this climate. It's ridiculous.
I think you should charge more. 500$ is like nothing.
>>
>Find a place that hasn't been lived in for three years
>Some old bitch died in there
>Landlord hasn't done anything with the house
>Scoop it up real cheap, $800/m 3bed/1bath
>Offer to fix it up for the landlord while I stay there
>She pays for all the parts and tools

The first month was hell, had to replace the hot water heater, microwave, water pump and seal a bunch of leaks. But since then it's been pretty smooth sailing.
>>
>>1106502
Real cheap? That sounds expensive, or right st where it should be...where I'm at in California anyways
>>
>>1105661
how much does it cost to get into storage space rental??
>>
>>1100255
I wouldn't so much discrimate young people, so much as be selective. I'm in my second property on the cheap because my landlord was so pleased with how i fixed the last one up. Its a good agreement, I pay cheap rent and get to practice my diy skills.

So far on this property:
+replaced doors
+stripped and painted
+new flooring
+new light roses, switches & sockets
+replaced kitchen plumbing
+flushed rads
+retiled kitchen
+grouted external walls

Currently running in new skirting boards and reboxing the bathroom, previous owner really bodged the plumbing up using flex.
>>
>>1108651
if you are going to paint his house the least he could do is get you some overalls
>>
i once rented out to woman and her brother

>brother committed suicide in the basement
>felt bad gave her extra time to pay rent
>had to evict her (2 month legal process)
>left 3 big industrial garbage bins worth of garbage in house and backyard
>didnt pay electricity/hydro or gas bill
>hold in wall, destroyed doors, locks, pin holes all over wall, 20 grocery carts in backyard, tolited broken, cut out hole in walls for drug stashes
>clean up and fixing took about a month
>owner of house lost 10k
>owner had to sell house
>i still manage his other properties
>>
>>1100264
This. What will your hissy fit do except piss them off more
>>
This thread concerns me.

I'm a young anon that considered, as a long term plan, to acquire some kind of house/apartement and renting it to get some passive income. But your stories are a bit of a cold shower, even if it was needed.

The question is, besides all the horror stories, aren't you gaining money by being a tenant? Even if it isn't troubles-free, it should be a decent passive income, no?
>>
>>1108997
It's challenging to make a profit on renting on a small scale. But you would be building equity in the building for when/if you eventually sell it, or when the tenants burn it down,
>>
File: 00410800-1209039231.jpg (38KB, 395x600px) Image search: [Google]
00410800-1209039231.jpg
38KB, 395x600px
Renters are just scared of the rent being raised. Shit if you own property and/or land youre a fucking kang (depending on length/price of mortgage, if any).

Some renters are utter shit. But I am terrified of getting the rent raised on me so I dont report any small problems. Disasters, yes. And I dont think im alone.

>>1105358

Cooking meth? nah. Doing meth, selling meth, zoning out in the bathroom on meth, Having odd threesomes in the kitchen on meth: yeah.
>>
>>1101740
>>1103142
I actually burned out a power strip with a little electric space heater recently. Never realized how much they drew until that happened.

Kinda sucks not being able to run it, since I don't have control of the central heating and can't run it at night. (I live in one of those "mother in law" apartments behind a house and it's on the same HVAC circuit, which is controlled by a stupidly placed thermostat that's in a large landing area at the bottom of a staircase with no vents nearby, so you have to manually turn it on and off or it'll just run forever and turn the rooms into furnaces.
>>
Please tell me you guys only hand over applications to rent in person so you know who they are and can't get in trouble for denying them on other means ( race).
Thread posts: 100
Thread images: 16

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.