[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Questions about patio concrete...

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 2

File: hqdefault.jpg (27KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
27KB, 480x360px
My backyard has nothing but dirt at the moment. I want to eventually have a patio concrete slab similar to the one pictured.

The size I'm looking to get is somewhere around 20' by 10', maybe a bit larger

My questions are:

-I want to know about how much companies charge to get this done? Anyone had this done before? How much did you pay?

-I eventually want to put up a patio cover, but I don't have the money right now. I'm going to just get by with the concrete slab right now, that way I can at least get a table and chairs out there.

-I know the footing of the patio cover has to be inspected. How does this work? I hear it has to be inspected if the patio cover is attached to the house.

Any other inputs?
>>
>>1099594
>I want to know about how much companies charge to get this done?
even if this wasnt /diy/, everyone and their mother is going to tell you to make that shit yourself anyway
with that out of the way, see if you can rent (or borrow) a cement mixer for a day or two, and if so order a truck load of coarse sand (dunno the proper burgerland term for this, and yes an actual truck load), a pallet of cement bags
like in your pic you are gonna need to do it in sections to avoid cracks and just so you can do it yourself
i was about to explain how to do the whole process but i guess you can find youtube videos for it
gl
>>
>>1099602
So even if you DIY, i suggest setting up the pour, building a frame for the concrete, and buying liquid concrete by the cubic yard from a truck. It's cheaper and you wont end up with diy cement bricks when it rains.
$90 per cubic yard plus a delivery fee, maybe $60? That's 27 cubic feet. 45 80lbs bags of concrete make up 27 cubic feet. usually $3-4+/bag, plus renting a concrete mixer will be more than the delivery fee.
Also concrete joints are a thing, they look like felt, you just put them in and they make a compressable joint so concrete doesn't crack if the ground shifts/settles a little or from temperature expansion/contraction. same thing they do between sidewalk sections or if you go to any big store with concrete floors.
standard thickness of patio slab is 4", so 10'X20'X1/3'= just under 67 cubic feet, just under 2.5 cubic yards of concrete.
so 2.75 to account for errors/spillage etc, $247.5 concrete plus fee, so about $300-350 for the concrete poured into the hole you dug, depending on exact prices.
I would guess at least $1500-2k to get it done professionally.
More if you put up a patio cover.

Also, don't forget that generally patio cover only needs an inspection if it's a "permanent structure" building a freestanding pergola ontop of the slab often doesn't require inspection.
or set some u-bolts into it while it's setting, and use it to tie down a cheap canopy or 3.

the expensive part that's cheap to diy is shoveling out dirt, tamping it flat, and building a frame to hold the concrete.

of course, everything depends on how retarded the building code of your particular township or county is, and how much the HOA can fuck with you based on the contract and state laws.
>>
>>1099594
>concrete patio
Redneck detected
>>
>>1099594
>concrete patio
Seriously are you even trying?? Concrete is a wonderful construction material, but by itself its butt fucking ugly...

Also you need to grind it smooth after setting if you have any aspirations of walking barefoot on it.
>>
>>1099614

45 x 80lbs bag does make a cubic yard of cement. But you'd use a 1/6th of that to make concrete as the general mix is

1 - 2 - 3. Cement - Sand - Aggregate

You can also just get a friend to help mix and two guys can hand mix 2.5 yards easy.

He'd also want to use BRC to add some strength otherwise when he is anchoring the pergola he may end up with some nice big cracks if not just by the ground settling.

>>1099826
>Also you need to grind it smooth after setting if you have any aspirations of walking barefoot on it.

Maybe if you have had your feet wrapped from infancy. I mean I know you guys never take off your shoes unless you are showering but your feet can't be that soft.
>>
>>1099826
Cement can be made to look nice if you dye it afterwards and seal it in. You can also wait for it to setup some and pour pea gravel onto an inbed it. After it cures up. carefully go over the gravel with grout.
>>
>>1099842
bullshit....grout concrete thats outside?...first freeze that shit will be everywhere
>>
>>1099845

>freeze

What is that?
>>
>>1099837
>>Also you need to grind it smooth after setting if you have any aspirations of walking barefoot on it.
>Maybe if you have had your feet wrapped from infancy. I mean I know you guys never take off your shoes unless you are showering but your feet can't be that soft.

>hurr im so manly

Maybe OP wants to have some fucking women over or something, or are you too autist to fathom that?
>>
>>1099845
Thats funny bro, I'm currently working on a cement production facility in Russia. Guess what the temperature is in the daytime here, and guess what we put around the shims on all the big machines?

>-20
>grout
>>
>>1099851

>Maybe OP wants to have some fucking women over or something, or are you too autist to fathom that?

Do your women wear shoes to the beach too?
>>
>>1099852
>I'm currently working on a cement production facility in Russia (@-20)
wheres your God now then, eh?
>>
>>1099852
Just add some corn syrup to the mix... yeah, I know your secrets.
>>
>>1099860
women wear heels for traction in the sand
>>
>>1099877
id lick those walls
>>
>>1099594
Get rebar in it. 6" thick slab should have number 4 rebar in it.
>>
>>1099594
A few years ago I had my driveway widened so I can park two cars. They also did a sloped concrete retaining wall on the right and back side with a small apron. Total was ~$1,700. Driveways are thicker for vehicular traffic, and there had to be some excavation involved. I do know a few things. One is you want plenty of rebar in your concrete. Less cracking issues later on. The more sections they pour it in the easier it will settle, so don't pour one giant slab.
There are different qualities of cement as well and if you pour it you want to get a slight grade so water doesn't pool up or worse-flow towards your house.

I'd budget $2,000 if you are paying somebody. Patios will be less thick than driveways. The more prep work you can do to an area the more you'll save. Others might see this as a DIY project but I'd personally pay the pros who know what they are doing and who will make it look amazing. Racing against time getting the mixture right, pouring, smoothing, grooving, etc. Not a lot of room for error.
>>
>>1099594
Alternatively you could probably do it cheaper with wooden patio base.
>>
>>1099594
OP, what you need to do is spend ten thousand dollars on random tools at Harbor Freight, and then cover your entire backyard in a single slab of concrete.
>>
>>1100088
This.
If you have bought 10 grand worth of tools you won't even need to worry about expansion joints or cracking.
>>
>>1100120
Or anchoring your 2x4 garage to the ground.
>>
>>1100082
Rain, repeat, rain, repeat, now you wonder if concrete would be better, costs twice as much now, ignoring the cost of the two wood decks...
>>
>>1100279
If rain were an issue for wood-based patio, then the whole pacific northwest would have fallen apart in terms of housing.
>>
File: image.jpg (2MB, 3000x2000px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2MB, 3000x2000px
>>1100293
>>
>>1100297
Pic related is why you should cut down all trees capable of damaging your home and not wait until they are so tall that you'll pay thousands to do it.

The Husqvarna and BC Faller Training Standard youtube videos are excellent. I preload problematic trees with my truck's winch and a deadmanned snatch block. Easy to do and easy to do safely with proper planning.
>>
>>1100313
That means all trees, eventually.
Thread posts: 27
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.