[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Does anyone here have a lot of experience in silver brazing?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

File: braze.jpg (145KB, 600x900px) Image search: [Google]
braze.jpg
145KB, 600x900px
Does anyone here have a lot of experience in silver brazing? More specifically, in the safety aspects thereof?

For the small amount of metal work that I do, it's actually made more sense for me, economically, to work with silver braze. It's also become a preference given its similarity to soldering. But, reading MSDS for brazes and fluxes always makes me a bit concerned. Given some of the warnings, it seems like some of this stuff shouldn't even be used around higher life. Yet, when I watch YouTube videos of professionals doing brazing work, I'll see people working without goggles or a NIOSH mask.

What precautions should I take when handing white flux and silver braze?
>>
>>1099294
common sense?

do it in a light breeze blowing away from you
don't put your nose/mouth in the line of fumes
use an exhaust fan/vent

don't apply this shit with your fingers, keep a box of toothpicks/qtips around for one time use.
>>
>>1099294
>reading MSDS
MSDSs make pretty much everything sound super dangerous. You should keep in mind that they try to cover everything, including sensitive persons using the stuff in question all day every day for years.
So, basically this: >>1099301
And if it's just occasional brazing, you're unlikely to notice anything even without any protection. This isn't to say you shouldn't avoid pointless exposure.

Your primary concern should be heat, meaning hot metal, flame and the possibility of molten metal spray.
>>
>>1099294
see if you can get a doctor to give you a baseline heavy metal test. this was suggested to me years ago and i didn't do it but now i wish i had done it.
>>
>>1099309
>MSDS
If you knew anything about hazardous substances you'd know that they are now SDSs as decreed by the Global Harmonization Program
Not even joking
>>
at the least, glasses and some sort of avoidance of breathing in fumes. chances are slim, but the stuff has a liquid state, you could theoretically get a bubble or similar drop splash from it. (about a 1 in a billion but...) - so eye protection's a no brainer. More likely however, looking into heat can cause cataracts (if you do it all the time), so, best to avoid by having lenses to block that.

I'd use a breathing mask with filters, given most brazing silvers contain cadmium, and with a fan blowing from behind - that also helps avoid radiant heat frying your eyebrows, so makes sense. In reality, I generally find a simple mask sufficient, rather than my 3m 6800 though.

>>1100042
>to give you a baseline heavy metal test.
the results arent looking good, Anon. You've got severe motörheaditis, and Kilmister Syndrome.
>>
>>1100065
Not that guy, but I work around with some of the worst shit you can. Highly caustic, flammable, explosive etc. Everyone still calls them MSDS, because that's what they were called forever.
>>
>>1100124
At Clean Harbors we're encouraged to call them SDSs. We're the 3rd largest haz waste disposal company and I've seen some shit that would curl your hair.
But none that have a thing to do with silver soldering.
>>
>>1100042
I'm afraid if I do this the lab will call back
>"har har har. mighty fine trolling job sending us motor oil instead of blood"
>>
>>1100502
>shit that would curl your hair

I think it's story time, anon.
>>
A jeweler showed me a neat silver-soldering trick. he rolled his silver solder out into a super thin tape, so it fed super easy into the joint.

With regard to safety: have the air moving away from you, and wash your hands. Don't smoke around it. You're way more likely to burn yourself than have any other injury.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.