[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Woodworkers Unite!

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 88
Thread images: 22

File: untitled-115337.jpg (1016KB, 1600x900px) Image search: [Google]
untitled-115337.jpg
1016KB, 1600x900px
I know you are here, somewhere. Show us your shop and/or projects!

My shop is still a work in progress. Haven't even finished running power to the sub panel. Been using extension cords for the last few months. Needs more storage, cabinets and shelving.
>>
File: untitled-4834.jpg (1MB, 1600x1064px) Image search: [Google]
untitled-4834.jpg
1MB, 1600x1064px
A workbench/assembly table I recently made for myself.
>>
No table saw?
>>
>>1099169
Unfortunately not. I have a shitty old contractors saw that works as a table saw, sort of. It'll be my next purchase. Hard doing almost anything without one. Before I got this shop I was just using hand tools and tinkering on small projects. Now that I have the room, I've been buying tools as I get the money. There is more shop behind the camera, what's pictured is only about half. Still a little tight.
>>
>>1099168
Nice dog.
This is one of the few self-built workbenches I've seen on /diy/ that look serviceable.
>>
File: IMG_2228.jpg (2MB, 2448x3264px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2228.jpg
2MB, 2448x3264px
My buddy at the cabinet shop came through. I just got 10 sheets of nice 3/4" plywood. Going to make a cut saw station and a few rolling benches out of it. I also got a bunch of red oak from a local lumber yard while I was waiting on my buddy to get the plywood. Haven't started anything with it yet, but I made a table for a friend on the floor.
>>
>>1099183
Thanks. She keeps me company. The bench is a really simple design, and can be thrown together in a day. I was going to do the typical thick top on it, but decided I didn't need it for this bench, as it will be used mostly as an assembly table. The base is way stronger than it needs to be, but the top is a little floppy. I don't plan to do much hammering on it, so the top doesn't need to be that stiff.
>>
>>1099188
I need to find a cabinet shop buddy. I'm irritated that I don't have any good lumber yards in my area. The only ones around are just building material places, with shitty construction grade stuff.
>>
>>1099168
dog needs safety glasses
>>
File: untitled-151000.jpg (959KB, 1600x900px) Image search: [Google]
untitled-151000.jpg
959KB, 1600x900px
>>1099188
Also, just finished up my miter saw station a few weeks ago. Went with a mobile one on casters, so I can move it around if I need to. Came out well enough. Has a t-track, measuring scale and a stop block so I can make repeat cuts.
>>
File: untitled-162725.jpg (777KB, 1600x900px) Image search: [Google]
untitled-162725.jpg
777KB, 1600x900px
>>1099196
Not the best looking, but it is perfectly functional for me. Thought I'd share, in case you need ideas.
>>
my shop
>>
>>1099193
All of this red oak came from Bill's Sawmill, which is a small sign out in front of an old farm house the guy has been running as a saw mill for the last couple decades. He had some very nice prices.

There are 5 or 6 other lumber yards nearby that I can buy stuff from for fairly reasonable prices. One of them is a saw mill a tree service runs on the side. I've been looking for one that carries more exotic woods I can use to make handles for knives out of my old saw blades.

I'm going to copy this for my chop saw setup. I'm going to build storage in my table saw cabinet for my crosscut sled and my ripping sled. I was going to set some t-rail into my chop saw station using a channel made with a router for its fence.

I like your setup. How do you align your tape measure? I'd attach something to overhang the tape measure that you can slide back and forth to dial in the measurement.
>>
>>1099199
Nice spot. How do you like that Rigid table saw? That's one I'm sort of considering, but I'll likely go with the Delta. It's about the same price, and seems like it might be slightly better in some regards. Also, you drinking and sawing? Don't cut any fingers off...
>>
>>1099202
I do have one local guy with an old circular saw mill, but he doesn't seem to be the most competent. Most of his wood isn't dried properly, and most of it is warped to shit, and he seems to only do 4/4 boards, and not much else. And of that, almost all of it is just pine and white oak. Boring!

Love that station design. If I had more room for one that long and that deep, I would have done something similar myself. I went as compact as possible.

I measured from the blade and marked on the wood itself, and checked it several times until I was sure it was right. I can make repeatable cuts now and they are within ~1/64" accurate. I do plan to put some kind of pointer on it, I just haven't gotten around to it. I'm bad about leaving my own projects only 98% complete...
>>
File: IMG_2195.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2195.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>1099188
Here is my workspace while I was making the table for my friend. I've also gotten a planer since. It's all just stuffed in the garage now with the wood on the wall. I'm going to try to build my workbenches and get it organized this week.

>>1099205
You could get away with something as simple as a piece of wood held up over it with a shim that has a channel so you can adjust it left and right and tighten it down. I plan to make mine with a small overhang over the tape measure so I can line it up for the most part.

I think I will still be marking things and cutting for the most part though. I talked with Bill for a while and he told me he makes furniture when it's too cold to run the equipment outside. He has a nice wood kiln and a good band saw and he showed me how he keeps the wood. He even has a pond on his property to keep it submerged for years. He had some awesome boards that were from very old wood.

He suggested I buy some of the thinner manufactured wood from the big box stores to cut templates so I can just set my fence against a template any time I'm making a piece and I won't have to measure anymore. I think that's probably the way I'll do it when I get up and running.
>>
>>1099204
I like it well enough. free replacement parts for life was a big draw for me. The riving knife pisses me off. I have to take it completely out to use my dado blades, and it's a pain to get perfectly straight again.
>>
>>1099167
That electrical situation is atrocious.
I must be on /diy/
>>
>>1099243
Why is that?
>>
>>1099243
Feh.. I've seen much worse. Nothing not to code that I can see. Though the overhead lamp on a dangling extension cord is odd.

Wish I had more space for a shop, but my yard is fairly small. Going to have to use the garage which means no large equipment.
>>
>>1099361
It's all to code. As I said in the original post... I don't have power out there yet, everything is on extension cords. Once I'm done, everything will be buttoned up and finished.
>>
File: untitled-114314.jpg (814KB, 1600x900px) Image search: [Google]
untitled-114314.jpg
814KB, 1600x900px
Working on a kitchen island. All drawbored mortise and tenon joinery. My first time using this method. I'm very impressed with how sturdy it feels, no wobble or movement at all. Now to build the lower shelf and do some trim work and paint, and put on the granite top.
>>
Didn't want to make a thread for this question so hopefully y'all can help me out.

I want to make a bed frame for my king size bed with 4 sets of drawers on each side for my wife and me. I'm thinking about haveing the top be around 30" off the ground and would like to be able to put the head of the bed at a 20 degree incline and be able to lower it back down.

Anyone know where I can get some free design idieas for such a build?
>>
I bought an old Craftsman table saw that I've been fixing up. Still haven't actually done any woodworking but screwing with the mechanics is fun
>>
>>1099197
>>1099196

Looks like a neat idea. I'm setting up something similar for a router table and I'd like to have a semi-modular setup and attach it all onto a workbench. I haven't built the bench yet, but I was planning on a 3/4 inch mdf top (I have scrap) and possibly layering that over other pieces or sealing the top with heavy shellack / lacquor.
>>
>>1099167
I decided to move 2 years ago. And my garage was falling down. So I spent 2k on plywood and 2x4 and made floor to ceiling shelves 2 foot deep and 4 shelf high. Fuck my garage. It's a storage shed. Can't wait to move ina woods. Been in town for my 30 years of life and I hate it.
>>
>>1099167
Why is your bandsaw without the covers??

Please dont tell me its some vain bullshit like so when people walk in they will think "oh lawd, he must be mechanically inclined"...
>>
>>1099167
>gets a band saw before getting a table saw
>gets a jointer before getting a planer
someone explain this memery
>>
>>1099828
>>gets a band saw before getting a table saw
i can't help you with that my man
>>gets a jointer before getting a planer
that kind of makes sense in his case. look at his projects, he's using construction lumber and not rough wood from the sawmill, he doesn't really need the planer that much.
>>
>>1099823
maybe he really likes sawdust.
>>
I forgot where I was...

I do have a planer, and I do have a "table saw", though it's a cheap old piece of shit that will be upgraded soon. And yes, I do use construction grade lumber for shop projects, workbenches, stations, etc. I do also use rough saw hardwoods from a local saw mill. Good job assuming shit.
>>
>>1099823
Sometimes cover removal is required for say.... blade changes and maintenance... I just rebuilt it with some new guide bearings and cool blocks, along with new tires and a new blade.
>>
And also, while I'm at it, there is a drill press station, a radial arm saw (sort of redundant with the compound miter saw) and a router table in progress behind me. That's only about half of the shop pictured...
>>
File: DSCN00632.jpg (3MB, 4120x3088px) Image search: [Google]
DSCN00632.jpg
3MB, 4120x3088px
I made two axe handles today
>>
>>1100338
What's the purpose of that shaped axe head
>>
>>1100340
it's a general forestry and splitting axe
>>
>>1100342
>splitting axe
I don't understand. This is a splitting axe.
>>
>>1100338
>>1100342
Nevermind, I see now, it is aimed at edge cuts vs center cuts
>>
File: Screenshot_2016-12-17-14-38-20.jpg (3MB, 2560x1600px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-12-17-14-38-20.jpg
3MB, 2560x1600px
>>1100347
>>
>>1100345
That is a splitting maul, not an axe.
>>
>>1100345
any axe can be a splitting axe. This is what we use, i'm serbian btw
that maul however looks more like something for stonework than a splitting

>>1100348
yeah that's how you use it. If you are not experienced with this type of axe you will fuck up the handle behind the blade. For someone used to western axes they are weird but they're ok. They are often too thick to be good cutters but that depends on how they are forged, traditionally here when axes got ground too much and became thick people took them to the blacksmith, who would flatten them and heat treat them again so they would cut like new. Can't find a good blacksmith now tho.
>>
>>1100351
Sounds like there is an opening for a new blacksmith
>>
>>1099167
i want to learn woodworking how much is initial cost of setup?

dovetail saws, planers, chisels, etc
>>
>>1100357
Initial setup? So a few saws, a few chisels, a few hand planes and some sand paper? Next to fucking nothing, especially if you get the stuff used at an estate sale or something. I've picked up all of those items for under $10, sometimes for a full set. I flip the stuff I don't want to keep on eBay but if you plan on using it it can be very cheap.

Watch the Woodwright's Shop, which is free.
>>
File: IMG_2234.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2234.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
I went to a new lumber mill today. It was pretty cool. They plane all of their wood so it's very nice, but it's also not very cheap. I bought a few 8/4 boards for table legs since the other place I went to mostly had 4/4.
>>
>>1100357
If you are thrifty, you can get a few hand saws, planes, set of chisels and the other usual basic tools for probably less than $300.
>>
>>1100607
300$ will get you a lot.
>>
>>1100361
I watched the Eleven Grooved Box ep. Opinions on combination planes?
>>
>>1100338
Bulgarian anon ?
>>
>>1100665
srb
>>
>>1100621
I wouldn't get one of those first thing. They are expensive, difficult to find (unless you like blowing tons of money on eBay), and take a skilled hand to use properly.
>>
>>1099371
>It's all to code

>Flexible cord shall not be used
>(a) as a substitute for the fixed wiring of structures and shall not be
>(i) permanently secured to any structural member

Rule 4-012(a)(i)
>>
>>1100955
Well can you really expect to hold a temporary installation to regulations meant for permanent installations?
No because they are different.

I don't know why anyone in the us even bothers trying to follow a code of practice, typical standards are fucking dreadful.
Most installations in the us seem to follow only one rule:
1. "yeah, that'll do"
>>
File: IMG_2237.jpg (2MB, 2448x3264px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2237.jpg
2MB, 2448x3264px
Made some sawhorses today. Buddy was supposed to come over to help me break down this plywood for my workbenches but he was a no show so I made these so I can help myself.
>>
>>1099167

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCckETVOT59aYw80B36aP9vw

thought?
ever seen?
>>
>>1100955
Wow... dude, it's a temporary use of extension cord. It's not permanently secured to a structure, it's hooked around a pin to keep it out of the way... I could choose to use an extension cord out there forever, and it would never be an issue.
>>
>>1100980
A lot of the code seems so arbitrary. Do it this way, because we say so (some group of random people). I've spoken about this with many electricians, and they all pretty much say that same thing. But they have to do it, so they do it.
>>
>>1100992
Nice. I need to make myself a few. I have some, but they are older than dirt and are getting to be a bit wobbly. Only thing I may have done differently is cut a bevel and a notch to more securely attach to the horizontal components.

>>1100994
I've watched some of his videos. He has some pretty good testing videos where he tests various types of joints, and different types of glue and screws for strength. I watch more of Paul Sellers though, he's my kind of guy. Inspire to be at least half as good as him one day.
>>
>>1101011
Recently got orders at our telecom company that we need to unbond all of our plant from the power company because... they said.

All I can figure it they are going to start running internet over their shit and they want to cost us money so we are less competition.

Power is the best ground, we paid for it, in some situations it's the only thing to code, like a customer's TV box is grounded to the coax shield, and the shield should be grounded to the customer's PGE... But now we need our own PGE, that is NOT bonded to anything? What the fuck. Thanks for inducing voltage in all of my customer's equipment, jackasses.
>>
>>1101018
Yep. A bunch of pencil pushers seemingly pulling ideas out of their asses. It's like that in all fields and trades though, I guess.
>>
>>1101015
I suppose I could have done that but it may have brought the legs in so they would stack against the legs and not the tops and they might pinch.
>>
>>1101020
i've been using the exact same design for my sawhorses i use around the farm for years and never had any problem and i put them under some heavy stress.
>>
>>1101020
>>1101023
Not knocking the design. I'm pretty sure my old ones are made the same way, and they are passed down from my grandfather who probably made them 30 years ago. They are a little rotten and have 10 layers of paint flaking off everywhere, but still work.
>>
>>1099168

what did that cost you?
>>
>>1101031
I think it was about $80 for lumber and another $15 for lag bolts and washers. Pretty cheap for a sturdy bench.
>>
File: IMG_0746.jpg (3MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0746.jpg
3MB, 3264x2448px
Table that I modified / repurposed a while back; always adding new stuff to display
>>
>>1101097
wow look at those rocks man. its just like being outside.
>>
>>1101117
Fossils mainly. Pic is shit and I put better looking Ines in since hen.
>>
File: DSCN4804.jpg (557KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
DSCN4804.jpg
557KB, 1600x1200px
I don't normally wood, but I decided to build something for the Moog circuit challenge and saw the past winners all did really nice stained varnished wood cases.

I started putting it together without staining and varnishing. Can I do that with the metal bits on or should I take it apart first?
>>
>>1101097
did you find these yourself or do you purchase them?
>>1101120
definitely take it apart first
>>
>>1101135
All but one in that pic I found myself. I go beachcombing and load up a backpack with anything worthwhile along the way.
>>
>>1101144
that's nice.
i got many large stones i remove from the field every year that are covered in very small aquatic fossils, but they're never really interesting.
>>
File: IMG_0658.jpg (3MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0658.jpg
3MB, 3264x2448px
>>1101148
Most of mine are of a similar quality, but you still find the occasional interesting fossil. Try messing around with them some time, you might be pleasantly surprised what you can get with a bit of cleaning and polishing. I'm quite lucky where I am, the beach has football sized rocks with some crystal veins inside which look pretty cool. Only problem is the endurance challenge of getting them back home.
>>
File: untitled-142518.jpg (864KB, 1600x900px) Image search: [Google]
untitled-142518.jpg
864KB, 1600x900px
Was working on a project today and got irritated at stuff getting in the way on top of the small bench, so I dropped everything and rounded up some scraps and made a box for the side to store tools, glue and whatnot. I'll probably put a rack on both sides, one for chisels to hang, and one for small clamps. Need to throw on a few coats of danish oil once the shop warms up. It'll match in color once that's done, and will be easier to clean up spills.
>>
File: IMG_2239.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2239.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
Went out and bought the remainder of the stuff I needed for my workbenches today. I got leveling casters since this garage is NOT level. I got them at harbor freight and then found out nobody in town sells 1/2" t-nuts, so I suppose I'm going to return them to harbor freight and buy 3/8" ones from lowes. I hate driving to different stores for hardware... I should have just bought the casters from lowes while I was there. Now I've got to make trips back to both. I am just going to take tonight off and do that in the morning.
>>
File: Imageresizer.jpg (186KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
Imageresizer.jpg
186KB, 1000x1000px
>>1101323

>dat planer

I mad jelly.

Picked up the lower end model for like $200 brand new off the interwebs. still in plastic wrap and stuffed in foam.

Have always wanted the variable speed model. But i just could not justify blowing the kind of dosh on the variable speed one when i found the lower end model for $200.

pic related.
>>
>>1101334
Dude I've spent more on lumber than I have on the planer and I haven't even built anything out of the good lumber yet. I had read that the variable speed one is decent with a helical blade so I opted for it over the cheaper model. There were a couple of other benchtop planers I looked at as well but really this one had the best motor and I heard the helical heads really bog them down. Plus I heard this model has practically no snipe.

I just got the package off of amazon for mine and it seemed like the extra blades and extension shelves made it worth it. You got a damn good deal for $200 on that one. You could get that much out of it selling it used if you end up upgrading.
>>
>>1101340

Well for me i figured a planer is something im not going to use a whole lot so spending $700+ on one was out of the question.

But yeah if i find myself making use of it i will sell it and buy the variable speed model for sure.
>>
>>1101344
Mine was a little under $500 if you accounted for the blades. I decided it was worth it since I can buy wood from local lumber yards for $1-1.50/bdft out of their cheap pile and plane it myself and it will make up for the difference fast. Hell, I can buy red oak from a lumber yard for the same price as pine is at home depot.
>>
>>1101346

Not who you're replying to but I got the super cheapo Wen for like 160$ and it came with a pretty sturdy granite feed table. The planer blades are easily removed, reversible and like 7$ bux a set as well.
I've only planed VG fir (12' boards) and and birch though but it worked just fine and didn't get bogged down. I just fucked one of the blades a bit with a hidden nail stub but they're reversible as mentioned.

/not a shill
>>
>>1101350
I've been really happy with my cheap ass wen power tools.
>>
>>1101359
I've been happy with my expensive yellow ones
>>
>>1101359
I bought a WEN brad nailer the other day from Amazon for $25. So far it works flawlessly. Going to try some more WEN tools out in the future. Also have a WEN filtration unit I need to hang and try out. Knock down on some of that dust.
>>
>>1101359
Wen is just a name for typical import power tools.
Its the same as buying a house brand from the hardware store.

Some of the stuff could be good, it could be really shit.
>>
File: nailer.png (412KB, 996x849px) Image search: [Google]
nailer.png
412KB, 996x849px
How are the harbor freight nailer/staplers? I need to make some cat trees and cabinets. What size staples would be best for barricading an entryway?
>>
>>1101561
>What size staples would be best for barricading an entryway?

Definitely not narrow crown staples. That is unless you're keeping out cats and not Jamal.
>>
>>1102053
Mostly dogs maybe a disembodied head.
>>
File: s-l1000.jpg (20KB, 800x555px) Image search: [Google]
s-l1000.jpg
20KB, 800x555px
What would it take to get involved in doing something like this?

I am not a woodworker, but I would love to get in to the craft. What kind of equipment is needed?
Thread posts: 88
Thread images: 22

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.