[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

TV capacitor replacement

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 4

File: capacitors 1.jpg (3MB, 3840x2160px) Image search: [Google]
capacitors 1.jpg
3MB, 3840x2160px
My TV/monitor started having more and more trouble turning on. From what I've read this can often be fixed inexpensively by replacing the capacitors. Problem is, I'm not sure which one(s) to replace. None of them seem to have the bulging ends that are supposedly typical of busted capacitors. Anyone know?
>>
File: capacitors 2.jpg (3MB, 3840x2160px) Image search: [Google]
capacitors 2.jpg
3MB, 3840x2160px
Also regarding the monitor: it often wouldn't turn on and I'd have to press the power button multiple times. As it worsened I needed to unplug it and plug it back in to power it on. Eventually even that stopped working.

That's a capacitor issue, right? Could it be anything else?
>>
Shopjimmy dot com
>>
>>1098727
Could always be a faulty switch
>>
bulgy caps is the only problem a non-expert can fix and diagnose. everything else involves replacing boards that, in total, cost more than a new TV. so, junk it.
>>
>>1098726
If it was a bad cap, itll be the black and grey ones. Look for a bulging one
>>
>>1098726
You see that big brown capacitor that says high voltage?
It will kill you if you ground yourself just right touching it
>>
>>1098737
> he thinks the HV warning is pointing out the capacitor, not the fact that the entire side of the board to the right of the big white line is at AC potential

This is why a little bit of knowledge can be a dangerous thing..
>>
i fixed some monitors and tvs in the past. only if youre lucky you will find some bad caps, but mostly you will have to change the whole board or replace some parts you wont find spareparts for.

but mostly its what he says >>1098735
>>
File: IMG_20160815_000934.jpg (3MB, 2592x1944px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160815_000934.jpg
3MB, 2592x1944px
>>1098726
Google TV model number plus issue, watch youtube videos, visit >>1098733 and see if they've got the part that matches. If so, it might be as desoldering the old and resoldering the new part in place (I recently fixed a few vizio TVs this way at $15/pop, bad EEPROMS, pic related). If not, >>1098735 has it right (on one of the TVs i was fixing i lifted a trace and fucked the board, which costs $60 and makes the damn thing not worth fixing to resell).
>>
>>1098734
Nah, I had just as little luck turning it on with the remote.

>>1098736
The six black ones with white writing on the left? I'd probably fuck up if I tried replacing all 6. Can't say I noticed any bulging.

>>1098792
It's a Toshiba 23L1350uc, I didn't really find anything.

>>1098735
Aw fug.
>>
>>1098726
>That's a capacitor issue, right? Could it be anything else?
CCFL backlights only last a few thousand hours. The backlight tubes wear out and require a higher and higher voltage to maintain arc. Eventually the power supply will refuse to drive them for safety reasons.

Replace the backlight.
>>
File: 20160902_180612.jpg (2MB, 4128x2322px) Image search: [Google]
20160902_180612.jpg
2MB, 4128x2322px
>>1098726

Take pictures of the top of the caps. Look for any split tops like pic related or bulging caps as suggested.
>>
>>1100080
>CCFL backlights only last a few thousand hours
That's quite an exaggeration. I don't think I've even had any develop pink tint before 10,000 hours or so, let alone fail. My TV is probably at about 15,000 by now and still looks as pure as ever.
>>
>>1098991
Throw it in the trash, buy a cheap replacement TV, expect to replace every 2 years, that's all TVs are really made to last for anyway. Better to spend 200$ on a Hisense every two years than to spend 900$ on a Samsung every two years. Changhong has decent 4k TVs at cheap prices. The colors are...Fine and the response will respond. My parents use a Hisense that had some shielding issues for the sound circuits that some copper tape fixed. The gf and I have a 28? Inch Vizio. Buy between 25 and 42" TVs. Any bigger and you sacrifice on panel density and viewing distance, and smaller you sacrifice on build quality.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.