[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I want to build some things with microcontrollers. What kind

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 7

File: mechanical centipede.jpg (14KB, 365x221px) Image search: [Google]
mechanical centipede.jpg
14KB, 365x221px
I want to build some things with microcontrollers.
What kind of bullshit should I expect?
>>
>>1098725
Clock?
>>
Depends on what you're building.

What are you building?
>>
>>1098725
What do you mean exactly?
Programming could be a bitch, depends on how professional and efficient you want the program on the mcu to be.
One of the easiest ways is to program everything in arduino for instance, but if you want to have more control over everything in the chip or/and run more effecient programs you might want to switch to AVR programming or low level C.
Also for some applications you want to use a PLC instead of a MCU.
>>
>>1098725
You are going to spent 53637h on reading documentation. And it's sometimes really hard without a debugger or at least a working usart.
>>
>>1098725
The atmega128/328 used by Arduino are fairly easy when it comes to nailing the basics. You might want to spring for an arduino board that you can use to program the microcontroller; Usb to serial programmers have varying levels of documentation whereas arduino is thouroughly documented.
>>
>>1098725
im doing this right now. learning C sucks

try to pick components that are popular so they have good support and proper libraries
>>
>>1098728
Bane?
>>
>>1098725
/diy suspects you won't actually do anything or will need excessive handholding
>>
>>1098796
I've built shit before, but only simple electrical/mechanical things. A pathfinding robot, a tiny rocket, an ornithopter. I need no handholding; I know how to use the internet. I've just never worked with these before.

>>1098728
>>1098731
Yeah I literally just need something that oscillates from fast to crazy fast depending on, I dunno, how far I turn a knob. No more complexity than that.

>>1098768
>>1098732
Thank you senpais.
>>
>>1098873
>Yeah I literally just need something that oscillates from fast to crazy fast depending on, I dunno, how far I turn a knob. No more complexity than that.

You don't need a microcontroller for that. In fact, a microcontroller would be a very bad way to approach that because of overhead.

How fast is "fast" and how fast is "crazy fast"? What kind of signal? How accurate does it need to be?
>>
>>1098873
you can maybe do this with a 555 timer with potentiometer hooked up to modulate the speed depending on what "fast" and "crazy fast" means to you
>>
>>1098880
Fast would be 4kHz. Crazy fast would be as fast as I can get it to oscillate by any conceivable physical limits.

>>1098884
Ooh, this setup looks much easier to put together.
>>
>>1098873
>Yeah I literally just need something that oscillates from fast to crazy fast depending on, I dunno, how far I turn a knob. No more complexity than that.

Are you attempting to hide a sex toy thread as a microcontroller thread?
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (77KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
77KB, 1280x720px
Anyone play shenzhen i/o?
how close is this to the real thing? Can I learn anything from this game?
>>
File: nixieClock.jpg (216KB, 1396x849px) Image search: [Google]
nixieClock.jpg
216KB, 1396x849px
>>1098725

Took me about a year (not actual man hours) of research to go from fucking around with Arduino to designing my own board. So if you know almost nothing about computer engineering and spend about 2-4 hours per week on it maybe a year?

>>1098873

Ohhh, you want to make a vibrator. They sell those on Amazon or at your local adult toy store.
>>
>>1098905
;)
>>
>>1098994
I made a vibrator when I was 12 from a plastic test tube, a motor, a fishing weight, and some tape/wires/glue. Just go to Amazon and buy a real one. DIY sex toys suck.
>>
>>1099023
>I made a vibrator when I was 12
!
>>
>>1098984

What software did you use?
>>
Why don't you kindly tell us what you're trying to do because obviously you don't know what you're trying to do.
>>
>>1098725

> the ISP circuit you built on perfboard is fucked
> remake the fucking circuit 5 times
> think that decoupling capacitors actually matter

avrdude: initialization failed, rc=-1

Double check connections and try again, or use -F to override

> "what do I need to connect to AVCC"
> "what caps does the crystal need"
> "maybe it isn't working because Vcc is 4.9 volts"
> get misled by the faggot with 50k posts on AVRdude forums
> check continuity until you are absolutely sure
> talk to sparkfun about why your avr programmer isn't working
> have them send you a new avr programmer when they misinterpret your problem
> tell them it's still not working and explain your problem again
> have them explain how to get the drivers which happens to involve getting a program that isn't even mentioned in the outdated tutorial
> -4 months later-
> realize none of that matters and it will happily run off of 1 floating ground and a 4v supply with 60hz noise from your cheeto coated fingers
> finally flash the example program
> start writing specific program you had in mind when you started
> oh god, the bit flipping
> the bit flipping for interrupts
> the bit flipping for the ADC
> the bit flipping for the PWM
> the bit flipping for the multiplexer
> the bit flipping for the IO
> what even is all this shit?
> it takes a week to figure out that the program isn't working because of integer division
> it works and you have 150 lines of C and a couple of blinking leds to show for it
>>
>>1098728
Go away Ahmed, this isn't the right place for you
>>
>>1099162
Thou hast learned true wisdom
>>
>>1099162
I had some avrdude error shit once. Turned out it was because I was using pins 0 and 1 for MIDI stuff and this confused the USB thing on upload.

It was fixed by disconnecting the input pin while I compiled but I was going mad before I knew what was causing it.
>>
>>1099134

Eagle
>>
File: 20161122_230038.jpg (3MB, 4128x2322px) Image search: [Google]
20161122_230038.jpg
3MB, 4128x2322px
>>1099162

Couldn't get my prototype working the first go around. Turns out I needed the reset to go to 5V on a resistor. Took me hours to figure out.
>>
>>1099477
SHORTS?!
>>
>>1099487

I'm afraid I do not get the reference famalam.
>>
>>1099480

looks like you read a Make magazine and fell for every meme
>>
>>1099488
Ahh no worries, thought you might be a friend of mine who is also doing a nixie clock project for himself and we have an in joke involving shouting the word 'shorts'.
>>
File: 20161029_205105_LLS.jpg (1002KB, 2322x4128px) Image search: [Google]
20161029_205105_LLS.jpg
1002KB, 2322x4128px
>>1099490

What is a make magazine and do they have nixie clocks, especially ones you design yourself?

Also, where is your home made electronics that you designed and programmed yourself?

>>1099491

Ah, I see. No I couldn't be that person because I have no friends.
>>
File: 1458056101790.jpg (144KB, 531x362px) Image search: [Google]
1458056101790.jpg
144KB, 531x362px
>>1099494
>>
>>1099497
You made a robot hand? What microcontroller does it run?
>>
>>1099504
Not him, but I once did a robot hand for disabled people, using PIC as the microcontroller, want to see it?
>>
>>1098873
battery -> knob -> motor with a weight on it

don't need the microcontroller just put it up your butt
>>
>>1098935
It's far more simplified
>>
>>1099530
Want to see you being wanked off by a robot? No thanks m8.
>>
>>1098984
Could swear I've seen the schematic for that PCB before when I was considering making a nixie (still am, just never any time).
>>
>>1099491

this is here is autism, folks
>>
File: TrumpShrine.gif (2MB, 380x214px) Image search: [Google]
TrumpShrine.gif
2MB, 380x214px
>>1101429

I shit post here, on /pol/ and /g/ quite regularly. You've probably seen it before.
Thread posts: 41
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.