[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Building a house

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

File: Cuck Shed.jpg (53KB, 820x615px) Image search: [Google]
Cuck Shed.jpg
53KB, 820x615px
I got around 20 grand saved up, around how much would it cost me to build it myself? Are there any problems I might run into doing this alone? I live in north texas if that's of any use.
>>
>>1098104
>around how much would it cost me to build it myself?

about 25$ per square foot for the cheepo special.
>>
>>1098104
also, the lot, power, well, and septic are all going to cost more than 20k$.

come back when you have a bank loan or at least 60k$
>>
>>1098104
I hope your property already has water, otherwise you're fucked and are better off getting an emergency well, generator and a cheap camper trailer, until you have more money.
Also since you live in North Texas, I'd suggest building a really think slab or do a raised home.
>>
>>1098104

>Are there any problems I might run into doing this alone?

Building codes, building codes, some building codes, and being fucked over because of building codes.
>>
>>1098149
Don't forget the local house rules specific to each inspector!
>>
>>1098104
>tfw my house is the same size

It can be comfy if you do it right but $20k isn't enough. $40k is doable but don't expect anything extravagant. Check building codes to see if it's allowed first.
>>
>>1098104
You will want a basement. To hide from tornados
>>
Just leaving this here for the lolz:
https://www.amazon.com/Fifty-Dollar-Underground-House-Book/dp/0442273118
>>
>>1098149
>>1098192
Building codes generally prohibit "tiny houses" or any house reasonable enough to build with 20k. Depending on which side of the argument you fall on, these are either tyrannical bullshit legislation that keeps homes unaffordable and increases waste in the form of inspectors, regulatory boards, and certifications, or they are legislation that saves lives by requiring every home to meet minimum standards for build quality and safety.

When he says "Building codes, building codes, some building codes, and being fucked over by building codes" I'm guessing he's referring to not only the multitude of codes that actually apply to a home (snow load limits in Texas must be a fun number to calculate) but also that depending on where you build, you can be subject to City, County, State and in some very frustrating instances Home Owners Association requirements (although that last one rarely manifests itself in the same "building codes" that the others do, it still becomes a pain in the ass to accommodate).

And yes, because the inspectors are all individuals, each interprets the requirements to their own satisfaction. Sometimes you'll get a guy who's like "This door is just a few cents off of proper, but whatever." then you'll get the fuckhole who will say "This door is a few cents of proper and the foundation isn't properly poured, and there are coyotes in the area, and the steel isn't up to standards, tear it all down and try again. Oh here's my bill."

>>1098224
Yeah, if you're okay with a quality of living that a hobbit would consider unacceptable. $50 and Under is good for learning a number of things, but applying it to the practical problem of building a home will result in dirty dirty dirty dirty dirty hippy status.
>>
>>1098241
I thought the 500$ house in the book looked pretty cozy (though would probably cost more now, and that was done by the author scrounging free materials everywhere if I recall correctly).

The best and most general takeaways from the book's probably:
1) DIY - save cash
2) Use an alternative building style - save cash

I kinda want to make a house in the underground earth style in a couple years - not aware of any good life opportunities for setting up a permanentish base before that.

For the record, the 50$ house from the book seemed like a total awful hole entirely unfit for any hobbit, yupyup. Maybe fitting for an orc.
>>
>>1098241
>>1098288
Add on: If you have critique or comments about the building methods in $50 and Under, I'm all ears!
>>
>>1098104
Dude I bought a house for $13,000.00.
Was a HUD home. Needed repairs and not the best part of town. But no fucking rent kicks ass. About 790sq feet.
>>
>>1098289
The individual methods are really not the problem, and it presents a decent introduction into understanding load propagation (but doesn't really go deep into the topic) and covers something that is too often an afterthought for people building their own home (insulation), however for the most part it is hole-in-the-ground architecture that eschews most of modern living. If it's what you want, and you live outside of Taos NM, you're good to go. Otherwise be prepared to fight every step of the way. Like every other source, use it, but don't trust it implicitly.

Except your copy of Statics, Strengths, and Structures for Architects. Trust that implicitly.
>>
Why not just bury a shipping container?
>>
A small note, but it would be easier to plumb if you flipped the location of the bathroom.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.