[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So my grandfather passed away and left me one of his houses.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 3

So my grandfather passed away and left me one of his houses. As I'm cleaning this house I'm trying to figure out what changes to make to it. So far I'm going to make a penny floor, hide a room with a bookshelf door, and turn a room into a home theatre(trying to find used cinema seats). The house has 3 bedrooms/2 bath/ 2 living rooms/ 1 dining room. Basically I want to turn the house into a giant man cave. What DIY stuff can I add to it?
>>
A garage with tools.
>>
>>1098120
It already has a garage, ive put my own tools in there already
>>
Rather than adding extras i would first do all basic stuff, depending on what condition the house is
after that some can think of gimmicks to add

>>1098120
sid, a nice workshop

What do you want to do in the hidden room?
>>
Well the house is pretty old but everything works, nothing is broken. I'm going to have my electrician cousin come in and add some stuff though.

I just have to clear out all the furniture and stuff I don't want. I'm getting some ideas for gimmicky additions now so when its all clean and painted I can start right away. Plus time to save up for materials.

>>1098148
Im thinking of using the room to showcase all my grandpa's cool stuff, also as a library. He has a piece of the berlin wall, artillery shells/ww2 stuff, as well as tons of stuff from his travels. A memorial of sorts.
>>
>>1098073
What's the condition of the roof internals, when was the house built, is the drainage around the house foundation still up to spec, can you find any mold, is the bathroom built in a modern or old way and if old, have you opened the walls there to inspect water damage?

Never add tassles and cute pink unicorns before finding out if your bike even rolls.
>>
>>1098154
Roof is all good and looks pretty fine from inside the attic(according to uncle) its too small to do much with besides storage.

House was built in the 60s. But additions have been made since then.

Not sure about drainage around the house. Im in socal and im not even sure what it should look like. Its all concrete outside.

Bathrooms is newish, remodeled in like mid 2000s.

I had my family come in and check it out before I decided to take on the project, im 19 so it will be my first time moving out.
>>
>>1098158
Thanks. Dad lives in a house from 60's, and mostly they're pretty worn and prone to costly repairs, but this one was built so solidly and by such a skilled craftsman that it was virtually undamaged, save simple repairs to floor, external roofing and walls (and of course kitchen/bathroom fixtures, but not structure).

It's good to have as much inspected and checked by people you trust. Suddenly having to swap an entire roof or have your foundation turn up swamped is much worse than shelling out a few shmeckles early on.
You might need to change roof cladding even if it looks fine inside, but you'll know when that is. If you live in socal I suppose drainage is less of a day-to-day issue than in north europe. (where we have seasons).

Good luck on your new home, anon. Have fun and learn a lot. There is always more to be done when you're a home owner.
>>
>>1098158
You should double check you can afford property taxes and utilities before owning a home. You should also do a good inspection if the foundation so it's in one piece in 10 years

That said I always thought it would be cool to have a tv over the bed. You should figure out a wet bar since you're only 19. A 19 year old with a house and wet bar can literally wash panties off chicks. Post pics of the house
>>
>>1098161
Oh trust me, I know anon. I lived in Greece when I was younger so I do miss having rain and snow. But california makes up for a lack in seasons with all the things we dont have in Europe.

Just this beginning process has taught me more than I expected.

>>1098162
The lot is 1/4 acre I believe, so we have a back house that we rent out to cover the cost of it all. The family is just happy to have someone actually getting some use out of it, gramps wouldnt let us rent it out.

Ill be getting a roomate to help with expenses though.

I actually got a projector during black friday so no need for a tv, although a tv over the bed sounds so awesome I do want to make that happen. I brought back lots of moonshine from my last trip to greece so a wet bar would be perfect.

Ill take pics next time Im over there. Gotta finish up finals before im on break and can do some work.
>>
>>1098166
I've wanted a DnD dungeon for some time. Just a particular room with book shelves, reading spots and a grand custom table. There are ready to buy/order solutions out there that look beautiful but are expensive, or you can buy a used table and modify it. Of course, if you don't care at all for that stuff it's hardly high priority.

Regarding the whole "mancave" concept, I feel about that as I feel about cuck sheds. If it's your house you should have no problem making each room into chambers of your cave.

Personally I'd go a "boring route" of steel, wood, leather and concrete. No glass tables or abundance of glass cabinets, and no fucking decorative pillows.
>>
File: 20161130_140936.jpg (3MB, 5312x2988px) Image search: [Google]
20161130_140936.jpg
3MB, 5312x2988px
>>1098171
Speaking of D&D I found a bunch of old metal pieces for it while cleaning. From like at least the late 80s early 90s, some painted.

I wouldnt say that style is boring. I'm planning to make a concrete table for the kitchen and a long wooden table for the dinning room, Viking style. Using lots of brass and bronze around the house.
>>
>>1098073
You're going to destroy resale value if you don't do this right.
>>
>>1098541
I wouldn't sell a family home. Im going to pass this down to my kids, just how I got it.
>>
>>1098536
Brass is a PITA to keep nice, unless you don't care about it. I don't like petina look on brass like I do copper.
>>
>>1098536
check out the DnD figures online.
some have gained value over time.
not many, but some.
>>
File: artworkpics-16.jpg (60KB, 394x730px) Image search: [Google]
artworkpics-16.jpg
60KB, 394x730px
Why stop at just one secret hidden door? If you have any spare closets, you could make a pretty bitching secret vault got your valuables.

Also, no mancave is complete without a game room. I've always thought making an arcade cabinet or two would be a fun /diy/ project, but I just dont have the space for it right now.
>>
>>1098073
eww used cinema seats. this is diy, you should be using some fresh car seats to make your own 4D system
>>
>>1099231
True, I could turn the walk in closet into a hidden room as well.
Im not such a big fan of arcade machines but a pool table would be fun.

>>1099246
Cinema seats just have that nice look to them. I think car seats would be too complicated and wouldnt look as good
>>
>>1098536
man these things bring me back
>>
>>1099264
well to be clear, I mean bucket seats. cinema seats esp older are short and you don't get as much support. A lot of gaming chairs draw on that too, since they'll put speakers in and modern cinema seats are looking more like that. ultimately you'd throw a cover over them anyway of that red color probably, just an alternate to think of
>>
>left me one of his houses
whats it worth?
what are the other homes worth?
>im 19 so it will be my first time moving out
what do you know about owning a home?
have you any idea about the costs involved?

>>1098541
^this... you better try living in it for a few years before you start modifying it
>>
>>1099372
Im not sure what its worth but the houses around are about 500k.

Again I wont be alone in this I do have my family near and I wont have to pay for anything its all taken care of.
>>
>>1098073
Anon are you that lucky guy that got all of his granddads guns too? He posted on k in an epic thread.
>>
>>1099584
Sadly no, my gramps only had like 2 guns in this house. WW2 guns.
>>
>>1098536
>3MB

Your picture broke my hitty ass american internets, what do you think this is? A modern country?
>>
>>1099656
Haha thats the quality my phone takes I guess, im also on shitty american wifi, I feel your pain brother
>>
Automate your house with IoT and have an AI that controls it.
Thread posts: 28
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.