[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Updating a crappy car.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 56
Thread images: 8

File: topmeme.jpg (83KB, 400x265px) Image search: [Google]
topmeme.jpg
83KB, 400x265px
Okay gonna try to keep this short and sweet best I can. but its not.

I wanted an old UGLY [think I got ugly down!] car that I could work on and bring into 2017/18 and make it look like a whole new car. So I got a 1995 chevy lumina.. oh boy is it ugly, its black, with very flakey clearcoat, some rust spots on the hood, and this TERRIBLE maroon interior. but actually since its lived its whole life below the salt belt.. its not even rusty on the frame anywhere.. the car besides cosmetics [did anyone think this thing looked good when it came out?] is in, GOOD condition, it runs,starts up every time. its just got 200,000 miles on it so it needs some loving mechanically before I switch on over to dickin with the cosmetic stuff.

My question is, I'm replacing the gasket around the transmission oil pan as its leaky, got plenty of fluid in the transmission, so the leaks fairly new. its a 4t60-e transmission for anyone whom care. the issue I'm having is not how to remove it the [car actually came with this big ass general motors Chilton manual its got everything I need to know, plus.]

but it says use Dex iii or dex iie well those ain't around no more. so I went to advanced and asked, and the person seemed pretty knowledgeable but they said "this S̲H̲O̲U̲L̲D̲ work" and sold me my needed 2 gallons of ATF [7 quarts exactly] it says on the front of the bottle "Meets dexron-III requirements" but on the back of the bottle, it says nothing about dexron-iii just dex ii then dex 11e.

On top of that, I read online that I shouldn't be mixing types of transmission fluid, well removing the pan and not the bell, only drops about 7 quarts of fluid there's a total of 13.5 quarts. so is adding this new ATF gonna fuck with the other stuff already in the transmission?

I did lots of googling, and that's the reason I'm asking here, so inb4 someone tells me to google.
>>
The tranny reservoir being full doesn't mean the leak is new. It means the previous owner knew about the problem and filled it so you wouldn't think anything of it before buying it. The leak isn't new.
>>
>>1097116
No I know the owner. The car sat in the car port. They ran it once a week. They showed me the spot where it was leaking on the cement.. It wasn't big at all. And if they added fluid the stuff on the dipstick would be a lot less brown/orange and a lot more red...
>>
dex iii is what you want. its basically"backwards compatible" with ii and prior. the only thing you really need to not do is use dex vi
>>
>>1097126
So if the bottle mentions no dex vi im good?
>>
>>1097089
>>>/o/
>>
>>1097165
>implying /o/ actually knows anything about cars
>>
>>1097179
> I don't understand what they tell me to do
> they don't know anything
>>
U owned an 95 and a 99 Monte Carlo, pretty much the same car and could tell you everything you need to know, I also have a crap load of parts that I kept around in case I got another one but moved on. Where are you OP?
>>
>>1097260
I'm in Florida. And yeah they are. And some Buicks i think too share the transmission too. Their pretty much luxury cars. I like the big ass counch like seats tho. Hella lot of room in the back seats even with the chairs pushed all the way back.
>>
>>1097181

They know absolutely nothing
>>
>>1097264

Well I've done engine swaps in them, rewired the engine harness, modded the suspension.

When it was said and done I had a 13 second supercharged sleeper.

Let me check my shed to see what I can get you, I'm in mass

Got contact info?
>>
>>1097181
/o/ is now about how ugly new cars are, photoshopping, and whether automatic or manual transmissions are ideal. Fuck off.
>>
drove a illumnia for the past 5 yeaqrs love these cars

p sure i only put ATF in it the whole time

is there rust under the gascap door?
>>
>>1097308
>driving around the illuminati

spooky
>>
>>1097089
Go to /o/ - Shitbox Central. Everyone there buys <$3k Civics.
>>
File: IMG_20161211_144450.jpg (157KB, 1087x731px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20161211_144450.jpg
157KB, 1087x731px
>>1097278
Yeah what contact info you want? Skype? Kik? Email? AIM (joke of course)

Yeah this thing needs suspension badly. The PO gave me a huge file of all the work that was did on the car. Its never been changed. 200,000+ mile shocks. Ouch!

>>1097308
Pic related of the gas cap. People actually like these things? Their so freakin ugly. Though the groovy cassette tape player still works... Gonna have to stock up on some classics, I got queens album on cassette in there lol. But hardly ever listen to music while driving anyway.

>>1097316
How will civic owners help me on my USA transmission.. I personally know the basics I just don't know dick about transmission fluid hence why I asked here.
>>
>>1097089
did you get service records? when was the last time the trans fluid was changed? If the fluid hasnt been changed since new, changing it now will likely 404 the trans. if you do change the fluid, use dex 3 fluid.

t. mechanic
>>
>>1097322
I got a big ass file I flipped through. Its gotten a new transmission over all like a couple years ago. (engine too)

The person at advanced told me something about straining the old stuff through a coffee filter and reusing it. I told them that there is some old stuff left in there that wont all come out when removing the pan (13.5 quart total) only 7 comes out when the pan is removed. So half of the old stuff stays and they said that adding the new 7 quarts will be fine.

What's with breaking in transmission fluid and why is everyone so scared of it? Lol
>>
>>1097324

the 4t60 transmissions are made of glass already, DO NOT filter that with a coffee strainer, new dextron 3-6 only
>>
>>1097324
in a trans thats 10 or 20 years old, and with fluid that has never been changed, or not changed for 100k, the fluid becomes thicker and carries friction material, this erodes the valves and checkballs that make the trans work. so when the fluid is changed the valves and balls no longer seal, and there is no line pressure to make it shift.

>new transmission a couple years ago
then it was built with dex6 and you should replace it with same, change it out and do the filter too while your in there. dont reuse the old stuff,
also changing the 7 qts is fine, this is taken into consideration in the maintenance schedule.
>>
>>1097328
Yeah the transmission was replaced in 1998 at 46k miles. And it HAS had the transmission oil and filter changed since. So I think I'm okay. But I am going to call GM tomorrow and ask what they use now days (what brand) of ATF. before I get to working on it tomorrow.
>>
>>1097324
The rest of the fluid is the lines, pump, valve body... and mainly in the torque converter
>>
>>1097635
Yes I knew that.
>>
Finished with the transmission oil and filter and engine oil and filter. Not too much of a biggie. There was a bolt missing on the transmission but nothing a trip to ace couldn't solve.

Protip. Stick all the bolts through the pan into the new gasket the gasket holes are under sized and hold the bolts tightly in place. Makes things easy to reinstall. Torque according to the manuals instructions.

In a couple of days going to replace the air filter. And going to charge the AC.. as it blows somewhat "cool" but not cold enough to beat southern heat. From there I want to get a new front radiator as the one that's on there is all banged up. And fix one of the passenger windows as it rolls down but it goes down at a slant and you have to manually pull it straight while holding the switch to push it up. And rear trunk button/unlocker from inside the cabin is broken and needs looking at. Then its off to replacing shocks and getting new rubber. But I want to find somewhere with a lift I could use to do the shocks because my hydraulic Jack is fubar. Didn't wanna lift the car today its all leaky.
>>
https://www.cars.com/recalls/chevrolet-lumina-1995/
on switchgate
http://reason.com/archives/2015/06/02/the-feds-are-about-to-take-general-motor

You picked the shittiest make and model to invest this much time and money into. Most GMs from 95-01 were recalled for significant safety issues, leading all the way up to "switchgate". ALWAYS buy foreign, never domestic. Theres a reason why drag racers always choose honda accords/civics to soup up. They're fucking tanks that look nice and will last for years so each investment actually matters.
>>
>>1097920
Safety issues that have already been resolved on this particular car. You have your opinions. But so far it exhibits itself as an awesome car to do what I want to do.. I'm not turning the car into a god damn race car. Im updating it to modern standards of a modern sedan..

Since I have a side job doing upholstery and interior, I'm redoing all the seats an interior with qualtiy materials.

And its not a lot of money. Parts are cheap. Hell as cheap as important stuff.. Dunno what you assume you know, but just go ahead and forget it.
>>
>>1097321
>People actually like these things

fucking love it that car was a beast, 1996 lumina,
my slut only had 212000KM, so loow km beautiful

If i had gotten her oil sprayed, i would still be driving her. one of my rear lateral links rotted out and busted while i was driving and by then the whole ass end would have died

mine was a grandma car, but her grandson who i worked with, put some nice subs in it. put the stock stero back in, and holy fuck i miss that car
>>
>>1097321
plus , the gascap fits right in that little holder, these cars had everything, idk where the fuck to even put my new gas cap on my fucking alero
>>
File: Screenshot_2016-12-12-19-48-53.png (2MB, 1440x2560px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-12-12-19-48-53.png
2MB, 1440x2560px
>>1097935
Op here. Yeah and their comfy as fuck..! Oh an no vacuum assisted anything on mine! The only thing I'm trying to work out is the windshield has a bunch of little scratches. And chips. And all the windows have these little micro dings. But driving it at sunset or rise. There is a terrible glare. Ive tried cleaning them.. My next step is going to try a glass polish. If anything ill call a windshield replacer company and have the thing replaced. Side windows im kind of screwed on unless I find a less beat up one in u pick and pull kinda place.
>>
File: Y.jpg (75KB, 800x557px) Image search: [Google]
Y.jpg
75KB, 800x557px
holy shit that thing looks brand fucking new underneath

this is the rust spot im talking about, saw it on about every lumina i saw
>>
File: Screenshot_2016-12-12-20-20-26.png (2MB, 1440x2560px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-12-12-20-20-26.png
2MB, 1440x2560px
>>1097963
Oh under the gascap.. As in on the body panel. Nope doesn't have that either. The clearcoat is flakey as fuck over the whole car.

Pic related of my cars under gas cap.

I really think the trade off to not having rusty undersides is the constant sun on the paint and plastics. Really does a number.

Oh and thats another thing.. The decaying plastic smells like an old crayon box when its hot or if you're running the AC heater.. And I want to fix that.. I think when I take off the dash to fix some things. The tunnels the AC blows through im gonna hit them with some bed liner paint. Just gonna brush it on. Hopefully it will curb the old crayon smell.
>>
>>1097947

Email works, let me know and I cab send you my leftovers (maybe a PCM tune, I have a power tuner)
>>
>>1097947

I've never seen such a clean undercarriage on a Lumina

Fucking score
>>
>>1097308
fuck the illuminate
>>
>>1097902
>passenger windows as it rolls down but it goes down at a slant and you have to manually pull it straight while holding the switch to push it up
there is(should be) a white plastic clip on top rear corner of the window to keep it in the track. it should be available from a dealer for a few dollars. lube the track with dri-slide or graphite while your in there.
>>
>>1097972
>The decaying plastic smells like an old crayon box when its hot or if you're running the AC heater
painting the ducts wont help with the smell, you need to use a disinfectant to kill the mold growing on the ac evaporator coil, link related may help.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CzYlp9dm7AI

also after you get rid of the smell, when using the ac roll down one of the back windows an inch or so to help keep the evap dry so the mold doesn't grow back.
>>
File: 20161217_190809-1.jpg (992KB, 1764x2834px) Image search: [Google]
20161217_190809-1.jpg
992KB, 1764x2834px
>>1098633
Email [email protected] title ur email subject in a way that don't look like spam.

>>1100328
Lmao if you buy cars.. Buy ones that have lived their lives in florida.

>>1100394
Window. Yeah I know replaced more then one window motor or glass in my life time. Pretty easy.

>>1100404
Ill check the link out. But pretty sure the smell is the plastic. AVE went over the smell one time about tool handles like screw drivers and shit.

When changing the oil filter I knocked out this plug.. I don't think I broke it cause it kinda just fell out. Any ideas what it is? Its on the exhaust side towards the front of the engine clearly above the oil filter. I threw a full tank of gas in it yeterday but noticed the check engine light kept coming on an off.. I think its happening because this plug but I'm not sure, it is bogging and feels like their is a loss of power.
>>
>>1100485

That is your knock sensor, you need it to prevent pinging and potential engine damage.

I'll drop you an email later
>>
>>1100499
Would it cause the loss of power/bogging? Or should I be looking else wear?
>>
>>1100505

That would do it, it causes the car to decrease timing which kills power
>>
>>1100517
Ahhh okay. Good to know. But it looks like its the plastic connector thats fucked too. Not just the thing that screws into the enginem
>>
File: IMG_20161219_182233.jpg (62KB, 539x647px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20161219_182233.jpg
62KB, 539x647px
Well I went to a scrap yard today and picked up a knock sensor from a 96. The silicone that they came with flaked off. So I put some replacement silicone and gonna let it dry over night. Hopefully it works like this.. If not I'm gonna scrape it off. And apply it wet when I install it.
>>
>>1097321
What the fuck is wrong with AIM?
>>
>>1101673
Im sorry. I forgot it was the year 2002.
>>
>>1101371
So I replaced it today, got all the wires soldered up.

check engine light is still on.. and its running like shit. oh an transmission fluid is leaking, apparently it wasn't the pan gasket.

onto Craigslist it goes! gonna keep searching for the reason the check engine light is on all the sudden but besides that. I'm going to stick to motorcycles..
>>
>>1101743
So you replaced the knock sensor (with a used one) without testing the original? Then you dropped the transmission pan without confirming where the leak was?

And im guessing this bogging down under load was present when you bought it, you had no idea what it was but bought it anyways?

Maybe you should stick to motorcycles
>>
>>1101746
Okay well go ahead and scroll up to look at the orginal one and tell me what you see.

Second of all. Its not bogging under load. When you start the car theres no light. It idles for a second. Then the idle drops like maybe 100rpm and idles lower but the light comes on then.

Also I drove it many times before I got the car without issues. The check engine light bullshit litearlly just started after I changed the transmission and engine oil.
>>
File: cereal.jpg (48KB, 350x345px) Image search: [Google]
cereal.jpg
48KB, 350x345px
>>1097926
feeding the troll...

don't feed >>1097920
>>
Put an Universal exhaust so you can heard the noise of the Old v8 , then if you don't have problèms with the electonic injection is okay if not put a carburator or motorcycle carbs
>>
>>1101913
Lmao its a V6 and low revs. And 3.1L Theres not much growl to be had.
>>
>>1097321
serious question doesn't that look like every gas cap in existence?
>>
>>1097321
Mostly unrelated but one of those tape to aux cable converters might do you quite well.
>>
>>1102070
They get stuck a lot. Friend has one in his truck...

Really wanna know why this things running like shit. But not like I can easily plug the fucker in at autozone to get a reading...
>>
NO MORE CHECK ENGINE LIGHT! fixed the issue. apparently 96 knock sensor doesn't work on 95s. so yeah fixed it, was the knock sensor as was said before.

>still on craigslist because motorcycle reasons.
>>
>>1097181
>>1097179
>>1097165

/o/ is fucking terrible. It's full of 14 year olds arguing about

stanced wheels
whether the Miata is a meme or not
is a spoiler the same as a wing
is this interior aesthetic af??

It reminds me of retards talking about their fashion buys, bragging about their kanye west peasant slippers and Jordans. This type of in depth question is better suited to car forums.
Thread posts: 56
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.