[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Duct Cleaning. HVAC

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2

File: 7lZwLKc.jpg (85KB, 511x606px) Image search: [Google]
7lZwLKc.jpg
85KB, 511x606px
Hey guys I dont know much about HVAC and duct cleaning. I been calling around for duct and furnace cleaning and it seems everyone was about 225$ -250$. I found one company that said theyd do it all for 110$. So they end up showing up 1 hour late and tell me it is now 120$. He then inspectd the furnace first and says ''this has never been done before. Id have to use two holes for my hose. One for the main and one for the return. Id also have to use the 'brush' cuz it is so bad. Thats like 400$. NOPE.JPG. "Okay buddy this is what ill do for you. Give me 220$, ill pocket the 100$ and just said i did a standard job to the office. Ill clean everything including the furnace and the air conditioning coil". It sounded tempting but very fishy and underhanded so I cancled but i kepykepylt his info incase that sounds good. Dont want to burn a bridge to full service for cheap.
One thing that fucked with me is he said the hose uses 200psi. Now...i work in the water industry and 200psi of water IS ALOT OF FUCKING PRESSURE. ALOT. i said "well wouldnt 200 psi pop some fittings or bend the metal "naw man naw man rhats nothing". Sounds like BS.

Anyone got any info on this stuff or advice? Im so lost.
>>
>>1096998
200psi? If you're referring to the cleaning equipment it's probably just a hose off an air compressor holding 200psi. That would move dust but not much else. 200psi of air isn't as dangerous as 200psi of water. When the air exits the hose it expands, water being incompressible fires out in a stream.
>>
>>1096998
>dad can I have $5?
>$5?! What do you need $10 for? $20? Do you think I'm made of money? $50? Maybe you should get a job kid!
*jumps out window runs away*
>>
>>1096998
When you call the guy saying he'll do it for half the price, you will end up paying for it later.
>>
>>1097077
>subtle /pol/ jew meme
>>
i've always wondered if duct cleaning was a legit thing. i'd like less dust in my house but my guess is the dust in the ducks is staying put.
>>
I swear, I get calls for Duct Cleaning at least 2-3 times a day on landline from long distance calls.
>>
>>1096998
Yeah 200 psi is pretty normal to clean with. Dont let the idiot "clean" your furnace though. A bunch if unqualified "servicemen" just blast the furnace rather than taking the time for a proper maitenance.

Should be fine at cleaning the ducts and ac coil though, hes probably giving you a better deal that what a company would charge.
>>
>>1098438
Or maybe he wants to make more than the $14 an hour his employer pays him
>>
Pay the extra to get your ducts brush cleaned. The blower style cleaning misses a lot but takes them less time (so it's more common). And while I doubt it would bend ductwork out it can pop poorly connected ductwork apart... which if it's in a wall becomes a huge pita to fix. Spring for brush cleaning from somewhere reputable, then if you have a problem they arent likely to declare bankruptcy and restart the company under a different name...
>>
>>1100993
If they pop a duct in a wall I am assuming you gotta knock out the dry wall, fix the duct work, the seam that broke, and hopefully check the others nearby. Then hang up rock, mud and tape, then finish and paint to match the existing. Right?
>>
>>1096998
My two cents: I've always thought duct cleaning was bullshit, and that guy that said he'd charge you double is totally full of shit. Run. I have never heard from a reputable contractor, builder, whatever, that duct cleaning was even necessary. I get the feeling it's a scam. Find a friend that had it done, go and look at what they did. You can probably do the same with equipment that you already have.
>>
>>1101046
have you looked into your ducts first to see if they indeed need "cleaning"?... I mean I live in a 120 year old house; I've been in the house myself for the last 20+ years. I've done various improvement projects over the years and have had instance to open sections of ductwork and ya know what, they were pretty darn clean. there was maybe a very VERY thin coat of dust in some areas but basically nothing anywhere. and certainly NOTHING like what you see in those duct cleaning service photos where the duct looks like it has super 1970s shag carpet lining the inside of the duct choking it down to less then half the diameter! no friggin way.
seriously - look into your ducts before you pay anyone to do essentially nothing.
>>
>>1101013
sounds about right...
>>
>>1101046
>have never heard from a reputable contractor, builder, whatever, that duct cleaning was even necessary

friend of the family is HVAC guy - he says the same thing its BS
>>
>>1102399
also add to the pile; my parents house which they are the first and only owner - they've been living there now for 45 years. I've done work on their house, open a section of duct and nothing there.
>>
File: 20161220_152716.jpg (1MB, 2560x1440px) Image search: [Google]
20161220_152716.jpg
1MB, 2560x1440px
Just change your filter, your ducts dont need cleaning. All these guys do is blow it into the rest of your house, its a scam. Dont use a filter above a merv 8 either.
>>
Don't bother with duct cleaning.
As an aside, your experience with HVAC techs doesn't surprise me at all. I work for a wholesaler that sells to those people, and like half are respectable guys from good companies who do honest work.
The other half are cigarette-reeking cretins with neck tattoos in 30 year old vans who mop up whatever work the respectable guys are too busy or too well paid to do. I've dealt with guys who swing in to buy stuff who are fucked up on pills and twitchy, on their way to a fucking job.
I'm normally a cheap ass, but if I needed HVAC work done, I'll pay more to work with actual professionals.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.