[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Testing your basement for molds, etc.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

File: scary-basement.jpg (287KB, 766x510px) Image search: [Google]
scary-basement.jpg
287KB, 766x510px
This isn't so much of a DIY question as it is a standard home maintenance question. What would be good service to use of testing one's basement for molds, mildew, radon & carbon monoxide. Recent family health concerns have lead me to want to check if the home is the issue. Would any basement restoration service do?
>>
>>1096283
You can get home mold kits at the hardware store. If the one closest to you doesn't have them, ask who does. You can also get a radon detection kit at the hardware store and a CO detector.
>>
>>1096285
Thank you, I might get a full service to do a thorough inspection though, but this is great food for thought.
>>
>>1096283
Hijacking this thread for /diy/ question, my apartment bathroom shower area has a fuck ton of mold, as I have not made any efforts to clean it in 2years~ .
It's getting anyone because now the floor of the tub is getting slick from the mold. What is the best way to kill it easily?
>>
>>1096409
get hazard overall and face mask

get a scraper and scrape off as much as possible

then bleach everywhere, alternatively hydrogen peroxide, and scrub with magic eraser, add bleach, scrub some more, repeat, etc
>>
>>1096409
but, if it is covered with mold, it is usually beyond saving because the mold will have already gone into the boards behind the tiles etc where you can't get to, but cleaning it will get you pass an inspection
>>
>>1096412
I have magic eraser I have a face mask but no hazard overalls. So basically just elbow grease and bleach? Fuck this weekend is going to suck
>>
>>1096422
use some scrub pad first and remove whatever you can, they will last longer, and then magic eraser will remove the rest
>>
>>1096412
Seconding the hydrogen peroxide. In my experience at least, it keeps mold from coming back when even bleach isn't enough
>>
>>1096283
There has been black mold in my family home (basement and attic) since my parents moved there before my birth, over 30 years ago. Literally none of us had or have any issues because of it. That may be anecdotal, but many people lived with the shit for way longer than that without issue. And when I say without issue, I mean just that. We are healthy beyond belief, physician confirmed twice a year each.

The mold boogyman was invented a couple decades ago so that gov agencies and their ilk could fuck people into giving up their money, with the threat of death if they refuse. And if they're not scared? Their home is confiscated by the gov, children fostered, and parents possibly jailed.

It's not a conspiracy theory, it's obvious money grabbing and fear mongering.

Get the fuck over it, and wipe the affected area with some bleach once in a while if you're worried about the look of it. And I know you don't need attacked OP, but it's needless FUD.
>>
>>1096533
I think it depends on the species of mold friendo

Take a gander http://www.howtoremoveblackmold.com/what-is-black-mold.html
>>
>>1096535
Yeah. People only started getting sick from ANY kind of household mold 20 years ago, because that makes sense.

I've done plenty of research, and I'm not a child talking shit. People only started getting sick from regular mold in the house after the government told them it would make them sick.
>>
Everyone has mold

Unless it's visible or you have a known mold allergy it's not that important

Here's how you can tell

Go get some buttermilk and a sealable container

Clean the container out with some bleach then wash out the container with a lot of distilled water, you now have a sterile container. Put some of the buttermilk in the container, just a little bit. Put some of the air from the room you are sampling into the container (pretend the container is a net and catch it like the air is a butterfly)

Seal the container and wait a week or two

Any spores you caught will be able to grow with the buttermilk as nutrients
>>
>>1096536
No you idiot people have always gown sick from mold but only around a few decades ago we started realizing why

That's like saying "before the government said the influenza virus was bad nobody every died from the influenza virus" but that's stupid, once they learned about the influenza virus people finally learned what was causing the flu

Most symptoms of mold borne illness are very similar to other respiratory illness so they didn't understand it wasn't a bacterial issue like most respiratory illness is
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.