[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

is /diy/ the board for gardening threads?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 4

i come here every so often but not enough to know for sure.

What's your garden plan for the spring?

I moved into a place with a very mistreated garden plot, replaced the fence walls, had a moderate first year gardening, and am composting near constantly to revitalize this dirt. it's basically dust. pic related is my compost going into a dug out plot

Besides spreading bone meal, lime, tons of compost, wood pulp, and planting nitrogen fixers (Alfalfa for the winter since in the PNW it doesn't freeze too often) what else can I do to help my garden for the spring?

Also, show off your plans for spring/your watering systems/cold frames/whatever please! Ideas would be cool as I'm still a novice.
>>
Here's my selection of seeds for next year, also planning on some garlic, some herb starts, replanting saved seeds from my lemon cucumbers and potatoes from last year, and whatever else my family decides to gift me for xmas.

Anyone else starting your onions in a few weeks indoor from seed? did mine too late last year and regretted it a lot
>>
>>1096266
>>1096265
You should post this to /out/ they'll have answers for you
>>
File: tumblr_o60s6wOI551qd5s4ho8_1280.jpg (526KB, 1280x960px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_o60s6wOI551qd5s4ho8_1280.jpg
526KB, 1280x960px
bumpin with the most dusty, sad strawberries that were already growing in the garden

>>1096267
i tried a while back but they said it was mostly a hiking/camping board. and /an/ referred me here.
>>
>>1096268

Gardening is /diy/ definitely but most folks on here either shitpost about bugout pipedreams or fight over which method of joinery is the best.
>>
>>1096270
ahh, i see. i know /out/ has it in their sticky but they were unhelpful. i'll try again later and see if they're more responsive. thanks
>>
>>1096268
There is a dedicated gardening thread on out and its been there for almost its whole existence.
>>
grew peppers, they were literally complete duds this year...

grew tomatoes, they exploded and took over much larger area than expected...

grew beans, and the yield wasn't quite good enough....they probably need more room to grow

grew pumpkins, they did decently well, but not as big as previous years....

tried to grow cantaloupes that were just growing out in the yard, stupid animals chewed into them before they had a chance to get ripe....

not sure if the cucumbers were growing wild or not, but got a couple little guys from them....

I have a warming mat and would love to start some things inside over the winter, but there is just never enough sun...I'd have to get a lamp and improvise something to keep them comfortable
>>
i only ever throw random bulbs into my wee plots 10c each, i wish i could grow veg but its too much work, the land is full of rocks (nw ireland)
my 10c bulbs are usually daffodils and tulips after planting i usually just throw some horse shite down and let the rain and worms do the work
one thing my grandmother told me years ago is if you drop a couple of iron nails into the bed with the bulbs itll bring the colours out and i can safely say my flowers are always the brightest and healthiest could be an old wives tale but there might be something in the chemical reaction
my ex a horticulturist said iodine will do something very similar but ive not tried that
>>
I have a chili plant that gave me a nice harvest of peppers in late summer. Once I took it indoors it kind of whittled a bit and lost a few leaves because i'd placed it in a bad spot and didn't water it enough - what should I do to make it help it survive the winter?
>>
>>1096346
plant food just a a small bit and light as much light as much as they can get throw them in a window that where theres always sun try not to over water chilli plants are strong and like to be left alone but not /r9k/ alone
>>
>>1096346
oh forgot if you change/d the dirt itll take about 6 month to recover
>>
>>1096352
>>1096357
So it'll survive despite looking kind of sorry at the moment?
>>
>>1096361
should do, youll know soon if its dead by the sounds of it, if the roots are good you can always replant, the root is the last thing to go
in your next few pots use some top soil just grab a few handfuls from gardens and mix it with the compost. compost is by its definition plant food
>>
>>1096265
Live in temperate new york when would be best to start planting. Can I germinate a head of time.
>>
If you live in a cloudy and cold area(north west) can you just make a green house with a whole bunch of UV lights?
How hard is it to build a greenhouse?
>>
File: grelinette-bio-bêche.jpg (40KB, 698x932px) Image search: [Google]
grelinette-bio-bêche.jpg
40KB, 698x932px
First of all, buy or better, build one of these (pic related). I don't know the name in english sorry. Here in France we call it a grelinette.

From what you tell us, your soil have been mistreated for years: frequently stripped naked, it lacks organic matter, eroded and lessivated (all nutrients taken with rain water underground). It has lost its texture and cohesion.

First you can try to dig some holes: can you see different layers? Does it show exhibits of life (earthworms, bugs, roots...)?

You need to give your soil the buildings blocks necessary to get its structure back: organic matter - Ca2+ - clay. It will form colloids over time.

Technically, you open your soil (but never ever turn it upside down) with the grelinette. Put 10 to 20 liters of well decomposed compost or well decomposed horse manure per square meter. Cover that with mulched leaves (around 10 cm) and/or 5 cm of chipped wood (only deciduous).

Why? You never leave a soil uncovered, be it crops or mulched leaves. A naked soil is a dying soil. Compost with ca2+ and clay will provide structure, nutrients and shelter for your plants and also bugs, bacteria, fungi and a lot of microorganisms that are at the Base of a fertile soil.

Don't expect to see your soil going back to life in two years, it takes time.

Do that for the winter. In the meaning read as much as you can on agroecology, permaculture. Jean Martin Fortier is Canadian organic vegetable grower who has a written a book you should buy. Look for him on Google.

Sorry, my post is messy but you should have all you need to start and all the clues to find info on google
>>
>>1096268
My dude. Home grow men general in out has what you're looking for. Go to the catalog and look deeper.
>>
>>1096338
I tried to Google your flower thing and https://books.google.com/books?id=_0Y_AQAAMAAJ&pg=PA106&lpg=PA106&dq=daffodil+and+iron+nail&source=bl&ots=AVxCECiKkN&sig=4bPL75G0oEHzCwzCajsMGt7bjfU&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiYi_jR1O_QAhUC7WMKHd0eAGsQ6AEISzAN#v=onepage&q=daffodil%20and%20iron%20nail&f=false says your grandma was completely right
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.