[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Replacement grill parts

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 3

Hey buds,

I have an old Webber grill. These bars have rusted out for like the 3rd of 4th time in its history. They are collapsing in to the bottom so it's time to replace them. This time, instead of shelling out some major buccaroonis for new bars, I'm thinking about a /diy/ solution. I don't have a lot of tools to work with, and I'm not sure what gauge/ metals I should use. I am thinking if I can find the right size piece of sheet metal steel at a right angle, I could just take it to a garage and have them lop off the bars in the correct dimensions. Most of them seem to be made out of stainless steel. Another idea is to buy fence posts like this guy (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPHc-PzTejU), however I am not sure if the paint on the metal makes using them unsafe.

Any other ideas? Replacements seem to run $50+, if not more, which is absurd.
>>
Could I get by with aluminum?

I would only need (2) of these if that was the case:
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Everbilt-1-2-in-x-96-in-x-1-16-in-Thick-Aluminum-Angle-800047/204604756?MERCH=REC-_-PIPHorizontal1_rr-_-204604755-_-204604756-_-N
>>
>>1096041
Nvm, I guess that is probably not wide enough. I think that mine are closer to 2''.
>>
From that pic they look like around/between 1x1x1/16 and 1-1/2x1-1/2x1/8 formed angles.
Surface looks like plain hot rolled steel.
also:
>rusted out for like the 3rd of 4th time in its history

You can get angle iron at large hardware stores. The difference is that the "bend" wont be rounded like that but a 90 degree sharp point.
You can get them in stainless too but it's a lot more expensive, harder to cut, and may not be locally available (shipping cost).
Stainless also transfers heat slower.

Plain hot rolled steel can be cut with a hacksaw fairly easily if you secure it well.

Measure the "legs" length and thickness. How many and how long, then see what lengths are available locally to see how much it would cost you.
>>
>>1096050
Some of the bars they sell are coated in porcelain, but those are even more expensive.

I may hit up the hardware stores tomorrow and see what they have in stock.

Should I be looking at aluminum too, or does that heat too unevenly to be of use?

I know that there are aluminum pans, but maybe it wouldn't work well in a grill where the goal is even heat distribution(?).
>>
>>1096058
Gut says aluminum isn't a good idea. Not sure why, heh.
More expensive and won't hold up to the heat as well I think.
>>
>>1096034

yeah you asked for diy but i'd just buy generic 'grill heat tents', porcelain coated is good, stainless is better

definitely don't use aluminum, whatever salt you use will react and eat it away pretty quick with the heat
>>
They sell angled steel raw at home depot and Lowe's. This is a 5 minute job that requires a trip to a store, why are you posting here?
>>
>>1096080
>why are you posting here?
He's posting here because he doesn't know and wants to learn. That's why were here.
Take your elitist bullshit to >>>/g/
>>
>>1096080
Just being through. I think I am going to go with the raw steel + hacksaw which was mentioned earlier.
>>1096076
Do I have to season the steel?
>>
thinner steel is better, definitely not that 1/8" angle iron

>>1096083
>Do I have to season the steel?
you can but i wouldn't bother because its exposed to direct flame
>>
>>1096097
Is 3/16'' too large yet or should I be shooting for 1/16''? If that is the case, I might just end up going with sheet metal after all.
>>
>>1096105
1/16
I'd pay the $50+ before I tried to bend lengths of 1/16 sheet metal without a press.
>>
File: flattened-expanded-metal7.jpg (7KB, 155x207px) Image search: [Google]
flattened-expanded-metal7.jpg
7KB, 155x207px
http://www.onlinemetals.com/merchant.cfm?pid=22506&step=4&id=1035&gclid=CjwKEAiAyanCBRDkiO6M_rDroH0SJAAfZ4KLaa0-h9M99tewx3rQaWl4zp4QFj_dCPrmctdjYOki_hoCFFzw_wcB
>>
Just buy a new grill Mr.Rolex we know you can afford it
>>
>>1096105
Don't bend sheet metal. Call around the places that sell metal there will be a place that sells angled iron. 100% sure. Or scrap yard where you will find something and you only need to rummage around for 10min.

And actually I'd go to a scrapyard because I love them. I have one relatively close which is a junk-lovers heaven.
>>
>>1096323
Scrap yard? Like for cars? Sorry for the dumb post.
>>
File: 1445536568133.png (534KB, 598x512px) Image search: [Google]
1445536568133.png
534KB, 598x512px
>>1096082
>Elitist because the guy has never walked through a hardware store before
>>
>>1096295
They're solid to dissipate heat, pal. That ain't gonna work.
>>
>>1096358
Well scrap yards take cars, but an actual 'metal recycling' yard (google hint) doesnt typically let you take metal away. They buy it from people.
>>
>>1096424
Yes that is where my confusion arose. We have a scrap yard like the one you described in the middle of my city, but I never thought that [ep[;e could buy from it. You seemed to describe a yard that has a lot of miscelanious stuff that I can look through, but I didn't think car yards keep a lot of angle steel, so I'm not really sure what kind of yard you had in mind.
Thread posts: 21
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.