[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Solar PV Panels in a Van

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 2

File: IMG_20140801_113933195_HDR.jpg (3MB, 4320x2432px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20140801_113933195_HDR.jpg
3MB, 4320x2432px
Dear /diy/,

I'm kitting up my van to live in for a couple months while I intern in the city.
Any advice on what to buy and what to build?
These articles have been handy:
http://www.camperize.com/solar-panel-mounting.html
http://www.traipsingabout.com/2014/04/21/solar-panels/
http://vandogtraveller.com/wiring-solar-panels-van-mppt30/

But any experience with which batteries to buy would be clutch. I know I should avoid the ones that create ozone, because the batteries will be in the cab with me, at least for now.

Does anyone have any advice for controllers that might be able to switch between the reserve, and the truck battery. Like it'd be nice to have it tend to both of them. Or even a way for the alternator to charge the batteries.

pic related, my van in the back.
>>
If your van has a trailer hitch you could buy a flatbed trailer, or build one yourself, and then put a shipping container on it. Then outfit the shipping container with batteries, a generator, beautiful pallet furniture, and a rape dungeon.
>>
>>1095892
Sorry, that's not in the picture but it's in the parking space to my left, just out of frame.
I store the bodies in the utility closet behind the green car in the background.

Any recommendation on the electrical harnesses I should use to between vehicles?
>>
>>1095895
>>>1095892 (You)
>Any recommendation on the electrical harnesses I should use to between vehicles?

Just use the hitch as your hot wire and connect the vehicles that way. No long wires needed.
>>
>>1095898
This will also discourage hobo's from trying to mess with my truck right?
If they try to disconnect the trailer and touch the hitch, it'll act as a sort of "kill switch" and make sure the trailer and truck won't work separate from each other? It's like DRM.
>>
>Any recommendation on the electrical harnesses I should use to between vehicles?

Bare logging chain. It looks thick and masculine and is fun to fondle.
>>
Okay, so shitposting aside, you need sealed lead acid, or SLA batteries, AGM, or Lithium Ion Phosphate batteries. Those are listed from cheapest to costs the GDP of a small country.

For the battery Isolation, you should use a high voltage, high amp continuous duty rated solenoid. wire it such that when the van is running, the alternator is able to chaarge the batteries, but when the key is off, the starting battery is isolated from the power bank. This will keep you from gettign stranded. and in the off chance you leave the lights on or something, just turning the key to the on position and waiting a few minutes will allow the reserve batteries to charge the starting battery enough to get going.
>>
File: 1476729694402.png (719KB, 516x800px) Image search: [Google]
1476729694402.png
719KB, 516x800px
>>1097566
you're doing gods work anon
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.