[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Slow tub drainage

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 10

File: 20161208_144036.jpg (3MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
20161208_144036.jpg
3MB, 4032x3024px
I'm not a plumber and I also can't afford one right now.

My shower drains very slow. So draino didn't work. I couldn't use one of those zip tie devices because of the steel blockage (I'll post pics).

So I asked my neighbor and he said buy lye. I couldn't find lye at walmart so I bought draino crystals (which is most likely almost all lye). I tried pouring some in and then running water thought 3 times and still slow drainage. So i put about half the can in there and now It's just clogged with lye.

Will it eventually dissolve? or will I get nice burns on my feet while I shower tomorrow in a puddle of lye?

How can i fix the drain problem? There is no access to the pipes and this metal thing is blocking me from putting anything in there
>>
File: 20161208_144043.jpg (3MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
20161208_144043.jpg
3MB, 4032x3024px
Also I know my shower is dirty. It's because It's been clogged for 2 weeks and I'm just getting around to attempting to fix it. An the faucet drips so it gets moldy with all the standing water

the green shit is the drino crystals
>>
1) Buy a 10$ hand crank snake
2) Take the 2 screws off the overflow and run it down there
3) Pull out your caustic shit soup
>>
File: 20161208_144046.jpg (3MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
20161208_144046.jpg
3MB, 4032x3024px
that shit got kinda smokey. I had to close the door I was coughing my ass off
>>
>>1095870
Did you pour boiling water on the crystals? It will work better but dont breath in the fumes or you'll get stoned in an unpleasant way.

Did you try a plunger?
>>
>>1095873
I don't have that type of plunger. Only the type for toilets. It's not clogged so that it won't drain at all. It's just very very slow. An by the end of your shower your standing in 10 inches of soap rinse off and your own filth.

Can I really pour boiling water down it? Or will that make bigger noxious fumes that will kill me?

I have to work tomorrow, I can die tonight.
>>
>>1095877
>can
CAN'T
>>
>>1095877
>>>1095873
>I have to work tomorrow, I can die tonight.

This is my new motto.
>>
>>1095868
This is the correct answer, OP. Sometimes all you need is a coat hanger to fish out your dreadlocks.
>>
>>1095866
u need to dissolve the lye BEFORE you pour it in

because it wont totally disolve unless u stir the shit out of it and now it is clogging the pipe even more

you better run water overnight and hope the pipe is clear of the old lye crystals before you do anything else

but lye is the best choice

get a bucket or something, fill some water, put lye into water, stir with a stick until it is totally disolved (you wont see or feel any crystals at the bottom) then pour it in

then the most important part

wait overnight and let it does its job

then run water and see how it goes
>>
File: download (31).jpg (6KB, 225x225px) Image search: [Google]
download (31).jpg
6KB, 225x225px
>>1095866
>>
File: IMG_0641.jpg (1MB, 3024x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0641.jpg
1MB, 3024x3024px
Really hot water will definitely help. It doesn't have to be boiling however. Just turn the tap as hot as it can go and let it drain that for a bit. Also the drain is hard to see, would one of these work?
>>
>>1095932
Might as well try. They are like 2 dollars
>>
>>1095877
>>1095894
fucking great.
>>
>>1095877
The potential damage the fumes can do depends on whatever is in your drain
>>
File: IMG_0644.jpg (21KB, 200x200px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0644.jpg
21KB, 200x200px
>>1095866
>draino crystals
>clogged with lye
>got kinda smoky

Congratulations you just melted your pipes
>>
>>1095877
Oh boy this had me chuckling I was like wow this op guy what a goofball amirite? jajaja LOL one-hunned one-hunned
>>
I'm having the same issue and I just moved into this apartment. So I can buy lye powder and dissolve it in cold water, then let it flow into the pipes and it should work?

Should I just tell the property manager and get maintenance to do it?
>>
>>1095928
>lets add sulphuric acid on top of sodium hydroxide
Also, stop shilling, memebot. Your particular flavor isn't any different than any other sulfuric acid cleaner.
>>
>>1096115
Yes, get your fucking landlord to do it. That's what you pay them for. He'll be happy to send a guy out to clear your drain instead of you melting his pipes.

>wrong kind of plunger
Use the toilet plunger to clear the drain, it'll work fine. Done it myself many times. Wear goggles if you've got standing lye water.
>>
PVC will "melt" if you poor in too much chemicals..
>>
>>1095866
I use Zep, biological stuff that eventually eats soap and goo buildup. Thing is it takes a month or so of using it to work.

Thing is to use this you have to stop using any type of drain cleaner, lye or acid.

You might have to remove the stopper to get down in there anon.

Watch this YouTub vidio
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JWZklniOo_4
>>
File: 1481291802600.jpg (10KB, 300x256px) Image search: [Google]
1481291802600.jpg
10KB, 300x256px
>>1096121
(You)
>>
>>1095877
>I don't have that type of plunger. Only the type for toilets.

You can usually fold the toilet taper unto the plunger bowl and use it as a drain plunger.
>>
nothing seems to clear a slow drain?

it's quite possible the pipe connecting the tub to the sewer line is broken, and the space under your tub is filling up before slowly draining.

I got that problem in my master bathroom. tub has to be removed to be fixed. or dig up the bathroom, or tunnel under the slab foundation....

I figured we'll just use the hall bathroom for now, and after saving up, remodel the master bathroom, and replace the tub with a shower unit.
>>
Pull out the nasty ass clogs of hair. If you can't, get ready to go on a magical plumbing adventure as you try to figure out how the fuck to get to the trap in the drain to remove that and clean it out. May have to go under the house, there may be an access inside the home.

If you're in an apartment/rental of any kind, call the landlord, you're literally paying for someone to fix your shit already.
>>
>>1096236

I work in a chemical plant and unless its a strong solvent it wont do anything PVC. Most of our lines are PVC. Our biggest concern is heat, it's heat that causes the PVC to warp. If the chemicals are reacting to cause heat then it will warp the pipe, otherwise 90%+ HCL or Ammonia doesn't do anything. Acids, Aqueous, Water Reactives, Bases, all PVC drains.

Hey OP, quit with the lye. What the fuck are you retarded? Get a snake on amazon or call a plumber and mechanically clear it. If there is brass or galv steel in your plumbing you're slow fucking your nose and your pipes.
>>
>>1095877
open a window when possible, pour hot water on it, get out of room, close the door and wait 45min.

if you can't leave a window open be careful when you re-enter the room.

problem should be fixed. when not, move into a new apartment.
>>
>>1095866
Now the room is full of hydrogen gas. Don't use a lighter or flip your light switch.
>>
>>1095866
its probably just a build up of soap and hair

>boiling water

just dump a couple gallons of boiling water down the drain and let then let the water run for 5 minutes to flush the lines. if its cast iron tub, preheat it by filling up a ways with hot water.

honestly i don't expect you to get out your turkey fryer and heat up 5 gallons of water in your bathroom, but use a couple of your biggest pots and utilize your burners on your stove.
>>
>>1095866
Lye can be neutralized with white vinegar.
I don't know about the amalgamation of chemicals you've put in there though. You're going to have to buy chemical gloves and goggles to keep that shit from burning your skin and eyes when you finally get it out.
Are you on septic or sewer?
>>
File: P_Vent.gif (44KB, 600x450px) Image search: [Google]
P_Vent.gif
44KB, 600x450px
Could this be the roof venting? Just a thought.
>>
Try and auger
>>
File: Bathtub Drain.png (751KB, 748x744px) Image search: [Google]
Bathtub Drain.png
751KB, 748x744px
>>1095866
Might be the stopper partially blocking the drain. Pull this bastard out and see how well it drains after removing it.

Sometime the linkage gets jammed, out of adjustment, or just comes apart from corrosion. You can turn the threaded rod to adjust where the stopper sits in the pipe.
>>
Vinegar first. Dilute. More vinegar and add baking soda for a tub volcano. Poke that shit with a metal coat hanger.
>>
>>1095866
if you aren't disassembling your entire home plumbing system and giving the innards a thorough hand cleansing at least every 8 months you're fartin things up
Thread posts: 36
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.