[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

QTDDTOT

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 316
Thread images: 64

File: 994146-right-1.jpg (253KB, 1500x1500px) Image search: [Google]
994146-right-1.jpg
253KB, 1500x1500px
I need to keep a terrarium humid (80%). I have a fogger but I need to keep it automated because I work long hours. The best timer i can find that is programmable by the minute only has three cycles per day but what I really need is something that will turn it on the fogger several times an hour all day. All the countdown timers that I can find have a minimum 1 hour cycle. If anyone could point me in the right direction or give me some ideas for alternative methods of keeping up humidity it would be greatly appreciated.
>>
>>1095859
Plants do it

An open bowl of water

Open in the morning and spray everything with a mist bottle.
>>
>>1095876
Or plug a timer into a timer, thereby cutting your on time down to half an hour.
>>
Arduino with timer module and humidity sensor controlling a high voltage relay that you can plug your fogger into. A cheap arduino clone will do the trick. Entire kit will be about $10 off ebay.

You can also get a humidity sensor/relay combined on a board, it will be less work but not as customizable and possible less acurate.

You can also hook the lights to the arduino with timer function and heating if you have that.
>>
if you can into electronics, then you use a single 555 timer to have adjustable on and off delays.

see pic. does any of that make sense to you? if not, you might wanna go for something less abstract, like hacking a scent sprayer, as outlined here: http://www.jcopro.net/2011/02/01/hacking-a-glade-automatic-spray-air-freshener/

i have a unit similar to the one in the article and it has selectable timings of 5,10,20 and 30 minutes.
>>
>>1095876
Its pretty dry here. An open bowl of water wont be enough. If I leave my fogger on for a minute it goes to 80% humidity and back down to 40% within an hour. I need regular mistings throughout the day. Right now I have my timer set to run the timer for 10 minutes four hours apart while I'm at work. Its keeping it humid but leaving it far to wet for too long.

>>1095886
I can not electronic, but much thanks.

>>1095881
Thanks, I'll look into this.
>>
>>1095913
*timer set to run the fogger

also
>>1095876
Im looking at plants now. Big thanks.
>>
What animal?

You can drill a hole at the maximum water level and have a mist machine going all day long if it is a rainforest animal.

The hole ensures you don't drown em
>>
bear with me here, the question Im asking is stupid and... well just work with me here if you can

So only having about 3 months of carpentry/construction experience, it is hard as shit to find work. I understand that 5 years in youre going to have much more than what I have in terms of knowledge and what not but what im trying to ask, is what exactly puts a 5 year journeyman ahead of me? I know how to use a chop saw, table saw and any powertool necessary. It would take but say a minute or two to tell me what and how to do whats needed, so why....

and the reason I ask this question is because im trying to figure out how to leverage what I do actually know. I'd like to know what seperates me from journeymen so maybe I can highlight things that would be desirable for a potential employer.
>>
>>1095997
An emperor scorpion.
There is 6 inches of substrate so drowning isnt the issue. Leaving it on all day is not only a really bad idea but not necessary as I have a timer. I need to have it on for shorter periods of time more often.
>>
I may be retarded and not understand how this wouldn't work. but my idea would be have two foggers that go off an hour at a time but have them off set 30 minutes from each other. That way the would run every 30 minutes? is this possible or just stupid?
>>
File: 20161208_232319.jpg (1MB, 2560x1920px) Image search: [Google]
20161208_232319.jpg
1MB, 2560x1920px
Is this gas valve closed? There is little to no documentation on this type of square valve and my assumption is that when the raised line is perpendicular to the pipe the flow is off.
>>
>>1095859
this for an amblypygid? because a good spritzing every 48 hours will do the trick.
>>
>>1096071
you're over thinking it. i'm >>1096112 and what i said applies to your invert, too. unless you live in fucking arizona and you're getting nosebleeds because of how dry the environment is, you just need to spritz the substrate and get it mildly damp. the natural evaporative process will ensure your scorpion does ok. may want to up the ante when its time to molt, and i thoroughly moisten the substrate once a week.
>>
>>1096113
So you're saying I dont need to keep it at 80% humidity? Because (as I said here>>1095913) It drops to 40% within an hour of misting.
>>
>>1096215

Emperor Scorpions need humidity?
>>
>>1096108

Probably. If there is a way you can bleed it off down stream crack it open a little and if it doesn't stop then you know.
>>
>>1096269

Sorry just read that above 75% is ideal and above 60% is required.

That poor scorpo gonna die
>>
>>1095859

https://www.amazon.com/Permanent-Programmable-Minimum-setting-infinite/dp/B00LMZN60S
>>
I have a horrible wooden wall in my place that I can't stand to look at any longer.

What are some creative ways of hiding it? Right now the extend of my ideas is to just hang a big white cloth over it, maybe also paint something on it.
>>
>>1096322
There's no way to make the wood itself pretty?
>>
>>1096033
Common sense, problem solving without having to get help, confidence, proven reliability, experience to back up your know it all attitude, being "cock strong" and work hardened. The list is pretty long, but it all boils down to a lump sum of "experience." Get over yourself and get any shit job that'll have you. Not being mean, just realistic. You have to prove that you'll even be there in five years, and that you're willing to do what it takes to prove it.
>>
>>1095859
Never heard of 24 hour wall timers anon..?
>>
>>1096276
That should do it. Thanks a bunch.
>>
>>1096474
Thanks anon but I need one that with turn on a device for only 1 minute per hour every hour. Timers like the one in you pic only go as low as 30 minutes.
>>
>>1096503
Ahh, wasn't clear in your OP. Glad you found a solution though.
>>
File: IMG_20161210_140339.jpg (2MB, 2448x3264px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20161210_140339.jpg
2MB, 2448x3264px
I have a hand-cranked coffee grinder with a pentagonal shaft like this. What's the best way to attach something to it? I'd prefer a nondestructive solution, but pentagonal sockets seem hard to find. I've measured it to be 6.75 mm across (flat side to opposite point).
>>
Whats the name for that roof boarding thats on an angle to extend the house without making the roof larger?

I have a crack in and and able to lift it with fair force, what should i do
>>
I have to remove some sticky shit residue of some kind of label or sticker from something made of hard plastic (a pair of binoculars), someone on some website recommended lighter fluid, but that shit is expensive even in small quantities, anything else that might work?

Already tried dish-cleaning liquid and also white spirit, but neither did the job.
>>
>>1096732
find the diameter, bore out thing you want to attach, drill and tap setscrew ( multiple if you want more strength )
>>
>>1096750
soak it with oil ( fryer oil/vegetable oil ) or WD40

you should be able to wipe it off with your fingernail after a day or two
>>
>>1096750
Mayonnaise
>>
>>1095859
water bubbler.
that's basically a bottle with an air hose running to it. feeds off of a fish tank pump.
You could also look into those tiny USB powered humidifiers. They don't put off that much.
>>
>>1096752
>>1096754
Thanks kind anons. Will be hard to avoid licking the mayonnaise off afterwards but I will try.
>>
>>1096331
No, it's heritage-protected and I am not allowed to make any permanent changes to it.
>>
>>1096276
Not OP but also have geckos, this looks perfect
>>
I need to paint my speaker grills for my laptop.
My laptop is a Dell Latitiude E6500.
The speakers are made of aluminum, and have lots of tiny holes.

How do I repaint this?
>>
>>1096880
mine's far worse btw
>>
>>1096880
>need
>>
I ordered a dimmer switch to install on a LED lamp (made sure the bulbs I use are dimmable too), and the light doesn't come on until you've rotated it a ways. Then the fucker goes from 0 to 100 in like 5-10° of rotation, even though the potentiometer dial rotates 270°.

How the fuck could I get it to go from dim to fully lit in the full 270°?
>>
>>1096880
is there any way to take the grill off?
>>
>>1096880
>apply paint to piece of paper
>hold laptop upside down
>place piece of paper against the upside down speaker grate while the paint is still wet
>no paint will drop into the speaker cavity because gravity is pulling the paint away from it instead of into it
Or you could use a paintbrush on it while it's upside down, but if you're not gentle then you risk the bristles getting up in there and leaving specs of paint.

Don't forget to get all the current paint off of it before you apply the new paint, or the paint underneath will cause the new coat to start peeling sooner as well.
>>
>>1096920
Not all dimmable LED bulbs react the same way. You might have to try a few to get ones that work. I had this problem in one of my ceiling fans. Finally found one sold by the local hardware store that worked.
>>
File: hotel-balcony[1].jpg (40KB, 550x309px) Image search: [Google]
hotel-balcony[1].jpg
40KB, 550x309px
>>1096963
How to hang up my xmas lights without becoming a statistic?
I have a verandah a bit like pic related that is one story above the ground, I can reach the gutters from there by sitting on the railing but I do not want to be unsafe while doing it. Should I set up a harness or something?
>>
>>1096762
You are being trolled anon.

A tin of zippo fluid in australia is $5.95. In the UK, they are $1.25. In the US they are $3.

I don't know where the fuck you are that zippo fluid is prohibitively expensive, but you need to stop being so fucking poor. Also, a dash of petrol or kerosene on a rag will do the same job.
>>
Has the moduli of a gear and a pinion to be the same to work? I measured the gear and the pinion and calculated the moduli. They are slightly different, so I guess it's because of a error in measurement. Should I just go with the middle ?
>>
>>1097251
nvm
it has to be
>>
Real basic plumbing question. I'm getting a lot of water dripping /running out of my main water tanks overflow pipe. I gather this means the ballcock and/or valve it controls are fucked. Can I fix this myself or will only a replacement do the job?
>>
File: IMG_20161211_150640.jpg (815KB, 1520x2688px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20161211_150640.jpg
815KB, 1520x2688px
I wanna make a CNC table that's glue/screw free. I need a joint that tabs together a piece with another piece perpindicular to it. Except it needs to be flush on the top. Like pic related, but, flush. Does anyone know how to do this? Also, is there a good resource out there for different joint types? Maybe an infographic?
>>
I'm fermenting some mead currently. It has handfuls of raisens and some special yeast food to ensure my yeast is nice and happy. My main concern is the yeast going dormant. It gets cold st night here enough that the place the mead is stored in goes to about 20-25F degrees at night. Is that enough cold to worry about the yeast going sleepy? What to do to wake them up? Is a gentle shake in the morning enough?
>>
I'm trying to fix a Logitech keyboard. I'm not sure it it's a PS/2 or USB connector. The plug is missing so it's just wires sticking out.

There's white, red, green, yellow and an unsheathed one which I assume is the GND.

So that's 5 wires (4 + GND) - the PS/2 pinout only has 4 connectors in total so this must be USB right?
>>
>>1097428

I actually have just the bookmark you need:

http://makezine.com/2012/04/13/cnc-panel-joinery-notebook/
>>
>>1097339

It depends on the construction but we build our tanks with the old style brass toilet valves
>>
>>1097756
I've only ever seen 4 wires in USB, white, black, red, tan/brown.
>>
Where can I find good quality 3/4" plywood for cheap? I'm not willing to spend $50 a board at home depot. I am willing to drive wherever to pick it up. My buddy works at a cabinet shop and offered to get me some but is being a useless piece of shit. I need to find some on my own I suppose.
>>
>>1097892
It's kind of shocking what you can get for free from Home Depot's scrap pile. I swing by my local store a few times a week. I've currently got a giant piece of plywood, several fairly long 2x4s, and a shot load of white wood polls they use as some kind of packaging for shipping.
>>
What is the best connector to connect MC to a handy box and a pannel?
>>
What's the easiest way to get a lawnmower started in cold (40f) weather? Will using a heat gun to warm the carb work?
>>
Whats a good cheap place to rent tools?
>>
>>1098130
Where?

Nationwide . HD
>>
do you guys know any good websites/books which cover plans to make nest boxes? I live in France so anything about european birds would be appreciated
>>
>>1098202
http://thebirdersreport.com/resources/nest-box-birdhouse-plans
>>
File: 02f.jpg (49KB, 655x527px) Image search: [Google]
02f.jpg
49KB, 655x527px
>>1098209
>bluebird
>AMERICAN kestrel

come on senpai I know you're trying to help but did you read my sentence
>>
>>1097482
It's probably going to take a lot longer... that's well below freezing. Temperature swings in general aren't great.
>>
I want to insert a 1/8" thick disk magnet in a piece of corkboard that's 1/4", what's the best way to cut such a shallow hole so that it sits flush?
>>
File: wall-stud-location.jpg (27KB, 500x331px) Image search: [Google]
wall-stud-location.jpg
27KB, 500x331px
I'm trying to mount some cabinets on my wall. The studs behind the drywall are spaced so perfectly that half of them won't usable. The cabinets are about 30lbs. I want to put probably 30lbs of stuff in them.

I'm tired of this project and just want to get it done. How stupid would it be to use just one 1-5/8" x #8 exterior screw per cabinet?
>>
the humidity doesn't need to be constant. you housing a wild animal. captive bred or not, it's genetically wild. his natural environment is not 80% constantly, humidity fluctuates quite wildly in nature. the recommended humidity for any exotic pet is an ideal goal, it's never listed on care sheets as an exact. your average indoor humidity is 50%, mist his enclosure with a spray bottle 2-3x a day will be more than enough. you really need to do more research on your husbandry
>>
>>1098645
Very stupid. Get some anchors.
>>
I'm sanding and repainting my porch. It's a big job and I don't have a power sander, so it might take a week or two just to sand.
Can I damage the wood by sanding it and not immediately coating it in primer? What timespan will it take for this to happen?
>>
>>1098708
Okay, I remeasured. I can put in 2 screws, but every other screw will be off-center from stud (around 1/3" to 1/2" off center) Kinda stupid or still very stupid? I mean, how many pounds can 1 screw hold anyways?
>>
>>1098711
Cabinet maker here. If you can only get one stud per cabinet, run 3 screws vertically, 1 top, 1 bottom, and 1 150mm down from top. Most force at the top
>>
File: IMG-20161214.jpg (243KB, 899x1599px) Image search: [Google]
IMG-20161214.jpg
243KB, 899x1599px
>>1095859
>>1095881

Ye I made something like this, still gotto hook up the humidity sensors. But I think they will only be for monitoring. Now you can just input the minutes you want it off and on ("extra" is an extra pauze after four cycles to cool off the transformer of necessary) .
>>
File: 11111111111.jpg (33KB, 782x670px) Image search: [Google]
11111111111.jpg
33KB, 782x670px
Need some advice on woodworking please. I have a wooden pole, which will have a lantern (about 5kg of weight) resting on top of it. Now I need said pole to stand upright, but I can't just ram it into the ground since its gonna be for inside. I only have basic shit tools in my study appartment, but my local DIY store will cut shit for free.

How to connect the pole to a wooden foundation using ONLY wood (except screws and small stuff)? Can't just triangle it with wooden struts, since I can't cut the round shape into said struts. :/
>>
>>1098974
Drill hole in bottom plate exactly the same size as the OD of the pole. Insert pole. Possibly glue it in.
>>
>>1099032
Thanks. I'm stupid.
>>
>>1099036
No big deal, champ. The simplest answer is often the most overlooked.
>>
>>1098761
cables need strain relief.
google 'cable gland'
then redo the neutral and ground connections properly
>>
>>1098211
A bird box is a bird box .
>>
>>1096113
Yes but his pet comes from a rain forest, not a desert.
>>
>>1096750
Goo-gone
>>
File: shaft.png (4KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
shaft.png
4KB, 800x600px
I'm trying to replace the pulleys on my table saw but there's an angled piece of metal blocking the arbor shaft.
It looks like this (side view)

The pulley I have has a slot for it, but it isn't nearly high enough, so I can't slide it on.

I was only able to get the old pulley off by cutting it in half with power tools.
>>
File: 500x1000px-LL-b802dacf_M7otjQS.jpg (41KB, 500x332px) Image search: [Google]
500x1000px-LL-b802dacf_M7otjQS.jpg
41KB, 500x332px
I gotba pair of speakers tha I should probably replace the crossover capacitor on (30yr old electrolytic), and I was thinking of following this upgrade guide's advice and using a 250v bipolar polypropylene one.

Where can I find one of these caps for cheap? All the audio ones are expensive and have shit data sheets that are full of audiophile Bs. I checked mouser, and everything seems to be expensive (I think Ifuxked up the search somehow though)

I'm almost tempted to buy the caps off of aliexpress, but then I won't know the quality.
>>
File: wew.jpg (148KB, 1370x944px) Image search: [Google]
wew.jpg
148KB, 1370x944px
>>1099091
well the diameter of the entry hole seems to be the most important thing to care about from what I've read
>>
I have to do a dialysis treatment every other day and find myself sitting for 4 and a half hours very bored sometimes. Can anyone make a recommendation for something productive I could do to keep my hands busy and pass the time a little faster? Something crafty or useful would be great. I've been learning how to work the rubix cube, but I'd rather have something to show for the time.
>>
>>1099318
Knitting
>>
i have a birch counter top that i'm going to use as a computer desk. i have sanded it down and given it a coating of boiled linseed oil. i believe i should give it a second coat today and possibly a third tomorrow. should i sand again or just wipe off dust and apply more oil?
>>
>>1099319
This would be hilarious. I'm a tall muscular guy in a room full of elderly people.
>>
File: dustyrhodes.jpg (71KB, 720x960px) Image search: [Google]
dustyrhodes.jpg
71KB, 720x960px
>>1095859
Hey guys, not a diy guy and have been fixing stuff around the house intermittently. I have a noisy bathroom extractor fan, so I decided to dismantle it to take a look at and clean it.

I looked into the vent and I saw pic related. Could this much dust have built up over the years? Is it dust or is it something else? There's probably a foot of the stuff in the vent and it looks awful. Should I remove it?

Sorry if I'm clogging the thread with my stupidity, just wanna resolve the noisy fan.
>>
File: key_nomen.gif (38KB, 632x385px) Image search: [Google]
key_nomen.gif
38KB, 632x385px
>>1099203

That's probably a key. (pic related)
Keys come out. just use a brass drift and a mallet.
>>
>>1099212
Try Mouser
5-10$ depending on source.

The voltage rating is not significant unless you actually run that voltage. Just don't go under what is there.
>>
>>1099393
I should have taken pictures when fixing mine.
Yes, they get packed with dust, skin, etc.
Yes, clean it.
Wear a mask and run a vacuum to keep the dust down.
Also clean the fan(s). I just took mine apart, moved them outside and blew them off with a air hose.
>>
>>1099395
Its inside of the saw's enclosure, so there isn't room to do anything more than tap with a mallet. I've been trying vise grips without much luck

I looked at the specs of the saw and apparently the key in the arbor shaft is semicircle shaped, which makes sense since there is no channel for it to slide out of like in your pic
>>
>>1099398
I got it out with a judicious application of elbow grease. The slot is rusty as fuck
>>
>>1099397
Really appreciate the info man.

Do you think this amount of dust poses a serious fire hazard especially considering any faults in wiring in the fan or any other external heat sources?
>>
>>1099397
I've also noticed that the dust has a yellowish tinge to it, is this insulation or is it just due to the age of the dust?
>>
>>1099398
That pic is just one type. There are semicircle and flat stock style keys. Depends on how the shaft is machined, and a semicircle is easier to cut into a shaft.

>>1099402
Yep
Often you have to use PB Blaster or heat to get them loose. Remember to clean the slot and key before putting it back in. Just take a brass brush to them.
>>
>>1099404
Dunno.. fiberglass can be a bunch of colors and dust depends on what gets sucked in. Probably age of the dust.
>>
>>1099424
shit, ended up taking out a bunch of fibreglass from the loft space, as the extractor fan is vented through the loft space with no duct. Most of the insulation was covered in dust, but some of it was intact insulation.

Is it a problem that I took out too much?
>>
>>1099430
It's more a problem that it wasn't properly ducted. It bothers me when they just dump the vent into the attic.

Mine does the same thing. I put on a piece of duct that lets it get out above (rather than blowing into) the insulation. But I did take out some insulation that was full of dust.

You should be fine.
>>
>>1099443
I know, the home belongs to my parents and they keep hiring the same cowboys over and over again for jobs that they continually fuck up. It's very frustrating, and I'm having to pick up the pieces.

Thanks so much for all the help, I'll probably just roll out a bit more insulation if it becomes a problem.
>>
Terrarium guy here again. Does anybody know of any plants that would do well in a terrarium with high humidity, high heat and red light?
>>
>>1099802
Most of the tropical, low light foliage plants (usually labeled as such) should work. There are people that have done stuff like this for years as a hobbie, I suggest you look for forums. They do living plant walls, with a little pump that keeps a filter mesh wet in which the plants grow.
>>
Anons help, english isnt my first language so I dont exactly know whats that thing with holes where you put your tools on? the wooden thing with holes?
>>
>>1099893
Vagina
>>
File: 5655784845_b195b5ecaf_b[1].jpg (248KB, 1024x681px) Image search: [Google]
5655784845_b195b5ecaf_b[1].jpg
248KB, 1024x681px
I got someone a coral cactus as a Christmas gift. What should I do to make sure it stays alive until then? Should I be watering it and giving it light, or will it be fine for 10 days or so?
>>
>>1099911
nigga how often you think cacti get watered in the desert?
>>
>>1099924
How the fuck should I know? I live in a house, not a desert.
>>
>>1099893
A peg board
>>
>>1099911
Cactus tend to be very low maintenance. Just put it were it will get a fair amount of light for at least 4 hours a day and you'll be fine until Xmas.
>>
>>1099911
Just keep it in bright light, no water.
>>
File: 20161216_183305.jpg (2MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
20161216_183305.jpg
2MB, 3264x1836px
Any of you know what this is? Found it under my grandfather's work bench. Looks like its use is to hook up water to pipe. The size(2 or 3 inches) makes me think drain pipe. He was an iron worker and a general tinkerer, it has to be from before 1995 but i would guess its from the 80s. Looks home made. Only thing i can think is that it was used to flush drain lines. Theres is another on of the o ring wing nut pieces laying around too, with no hose.
>>
File: 2010120730_a2e99ed2e7.jpg (54KB, 422x500px) Image search: [Google]
2010120730_a2e99ed2e7.jpg
54KB, 422x500px
What is the best way to put a taper on legs like pic related?
>>
>>1100079
Table saw and a tapering jig. Or cut with a hand saw and try to plane it.
>>
Can you use one of those butane torch lighters to braze weld bicycle spokes together and etc? I need to make a cage for the rotor in a model airboat and I'm just thinking I could make it this way.
>>
should i buy a ford angle grinder or a bosch angle grinder?
>>
File: 20161218_155854.jpg (1MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
20161218_155854.jpg
1MB, 3264x1836px
Recently bought an old house and it has some peculiar "fixtures" on the wall. I know the vast majority of it is old school 2-wire (even tho there are some 3-prong plugs) but I haven't the foggiest what these little things are here and there that plug into these little receptacles. They're branded as "Sierra".

WTF? Are these fuses?
>>
File: lace-bedskirt-490x429.jpg (58KB, 490x429px) Image search: [Google]
lace-bedskirt-490x429.jpg
58KB, 490x429px
Hey, /diy/,

I'm not a very accomplished seamstress (seamster? does that word have a male equivalent?), but I had a project in mind which involves a bit of it, and I wanted some advice.

I want to make something like a bedskirt (I believe that is the term used for it) to go around the box-spring of my mattress, but instead of nice looking pleats, I want it to essentially be pockets of a rugged material meant to hold books and odds and ends and stuff. I figured I'd use canvas as a material, since it's pretty sturdy and it seems like it might take any sort of low-budget method of coloration well (read: spraypaint). I was just wondering if anyone had any pointers on such a project. Never done anything like this before, not sure if canvas is too difficult and tedious to sew without the aid of a machine because the extent of my experience with sewing is hand-stitching together a plush animal over the course of a month or so. I wanted it to be pockets, because I live in a tiny place and need all the space-saving solutions I can get; trying to do things like store vertically with very tall bookcases and the like.
>>
Whats the best way to polish Sterling Silver?
>>
File: silvo.jpg (27KB, 300x299px) Image search: [Google]
silvo.jpg
27KB, 300x299px
>>1101601
>Whats the best way to polish Sterling Silver?

i know it sounds radical, maybe even revolutionary, but have you considered silver polish?
>>
>>1101603
i think the dude wanted a cheapo diy solution
>>
I want to build a portable boombox. For that use I got myself a few speakers from my parents old stuff. Can I use them and get acceptable sound (which ones?).
I intended to buy one additional subwoofer (what to look for?)
My stuff has (no brand):
3 ohm / 12-20 W
4 ohm / 12-20W
8 ohm / 10W
8 ohm / 10 W
>>
>>1100871
Do they seem to be placed in areas where an intercom system or remote speaker system would be?
>>
>>1101647
Depends entirely on the speaker. Were they good sounding speakers to begin with?
>>
>>1101761
I don'tknow they're too old. Can I just hook them on a simple pc speaker amplifier to test them without destroying them?
>>
I bought an old stereo reciever that requires new lamps for the dial and all that stuff. The lamps are rated 8v 0.3a.

Will these LED replacements work?
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1/32774346231.html

I realize that they are 12v lamps, but I want this repalcement to be a one time thing.
>>
File: 20161220_174753.jpg (1MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
20161220_174753.jpg
1MB, 3264x1836px
>>1101728
Weird that you mention that, actually. The house is "wired" for speakers in the ceiling in several rooms, but not this one (pic related). However, it does have a funny button on the wall we don't know why is there.

Lore from previous owners was that they had a "servants quarters" that is off the garage and is now the laundry room (butler's call button?) But when we push the button nothing happens.

In the other room (MBR) with the same aforementioned odd "fixture", it has another functionless button but is also wired for a speaker in the ceiling so I don't know what may be related.
>>
File: IMG_3399.jpg (551KB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3399.jpg
551KB, 3264x2448px
Need help IDing something. What are pic related called? I have them from years back, and I need to buy more. They are clear, rubber feet of sorts, diameter is 7/16" and height is 3/16". They are adhesive backed, and come on the strips seen below.

I tried searching lowes' website for 'furniture feet' but nothing similar comes up. What name would these be under.
>>
>>1101805
Nevermind, I have found out how to make my own replacements for these lights. The tutorial is for the same value light that I need to replace.
http://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/led-conversion-a-different-way.215824/
>>
>>1101947
try 'Cabinet Bumpers'
>>
>>1101947
They have them at home depot next to furniture sliders in the random hardware section with gate hasps and gate hinges, other stuff. Most of them ive been in have this section across from nuts and bolts.
>>
I have a large room shady as fuck. How do I efficiently improve the light?
One powerful light or a lot of smaller ones everywhere?
>>
Where would I go about finding a large maybe 2' or 3' diameter dried tree disc (cross section cut)? Is it going to cost a shit load? I'm trying to make the texas state clock from king of the hill and this would be the right cut for the grain pattern
>>
what's the best thing to combat foot odor and shoe odor? I wash my feet but they still sweat and make my shoes stink. I've been using dr scholls powder on both and they still seem to sweat and stink. has anyone tried the listerine/vinegar soak?
>>
>>1102273
find someone who's recently cut down a tree? Since it wouldn't have to be super thick, I'd think someone would just give you one. I imagine you'd just have to buy the stain and poly u. to seal it once you cut and sand it.
>>
>>1102273
This
>>1102291

If none of your buddies have cut down a tree recently, check the free section of craigslist for 'firewood'. Generally, there is always someone giving away wood from a tree they cut down if you will haul it. I got a bunch of beautiful burled walnut recently like this, that I used for a live edge shelf.
>>
>>1102288
Put them in a zip lock in the freezer for 20-30 minutes. Supposedly it kills off the bacteria living in the material.
>>
I have a lot of kaowool scraps, like a 55 gallon drum, how can i reuuse them?
>>
What is a good glue to bond neoprene rubber to aluminum? I am making a vacuum chamber out of an oxygen cylinder and I need to attach a gasket I made to it
>>
>>1101601
Try a vinegar/citric acid soak, and check instructables, they should have something
>>
>>1099925
I live in a house in a desert, cacti hardly get water. Just give it light
>>
>>1096732
find a suitable piece of metal. drill hole then use a small file to make hole like what you need.
>>
>>1099318
drawing, carving
>>
>>1102307
my feet will freeze if I put them in the freezer :P

just kidding, I've heard this, but I wonder if I'm supposed to do this everyday, it might be awkward if someone opens the fridge to see a nasty pair of shoes just hanging out (even if they're in a bag)
>>
So I recently bought one of those "soft shut" toilet seats, the hinge has some kind of internal resistance meaning even if you just let it drop it doesn't slam. However due to the same resistance it doesn't stay up in its open position meaning I have to hold it open while I piss or have it rest on my back when I'm shitting (like right now). Is there a way to remove this resistance/stiffness only in the very top of the range of motion?

I've already placed it as far forward as the fittings and the position of the cistern allow.
>>
Any CAD-fags here interested in a Discord server to chat about CAD and CAD accessories?
I can't think of a better board for them to congregate on than /diy/
>>
sup /diy/ can i get some recommendations for a cheap entry level work bench and a jigsaw

i'm looking for a workbench/folding table with some sort of clamp or closing mechanism and i don't know enough about jigsaws to specify anything. i plan on cutting curved shapes out of either scrap plywood or hardboard

help?
>>
>>1103309
Build workbench
Put vise on corner
Buy any jigsaw
Realize jigsaw a shit
Get scroll saw or bandsaw depending on size of work
Keep jigsaw around to scoff at previous failures
>>
>>1102775
>>1102775
Blast it with piss so it stays in the up position. The pee will then fall practically into the bowl.

Or just use magnets. Or velcro
>>
>>1103351
Yeah... I'm thinking neodymium magnets. 2-part epoxy should fix them, right?
>>
>>1103309
try instructables.com, they're filled with do-it yourself stuff
>>
>>1095859
I'm building a bluetooth speaker out of oak. My plans at the moment have 2 3/4 inch tweeters, 1 passive radiator, but I am stuck whether I should go with full range drivers or woofers for my last two 3" speakers.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated
>>
>>1099329
Its simple and fun desu. Crocheting is cool too
You could prob make friends with the old ladies because of it too
Why the hell are you getting dialysis treatments
>>
I've got a Razer Deathadder that I've taken apart and swapped switches on once or twice. The switches are physically identical to the stock, but for whatever reason the clicking is terrible now. it takes WAY more force to register a click.

Any ideas how I can fix this? What might be causing the issue? Everything is in the proper place as far as I can tell.
>>
>>1095859
How in the hell should I make a table top without any tools?

My thought process is to glue together and clamp construction lumber and then buy like some shit harbor freight planer and work at it what I can
>>
>>1103599
Mids for sure
>>
>>1104001
Unless you have a way to sharpen the iron for the plane youre not going to get along to well with it.

Clamps, t square, circular saw, plywood. You can find oak and maple plywood pretty easy. Clamp the t square to the plywood and use it as an edge guide, just ride it.

Get matching wood to edge band it, like 1x3.

Miter the corners of the edge band, if youre careful you can use a circular saw. Easy tabletop
>>
>>1104048
Thanks boss.

Do you have a link that describes a bit of what you're saying for a visual?
>>
What ryobi tool under $79.99 should I get? I got a drill special from home depot for $100 and now I get to choose another tool for free. I don't need anything desperately currently, just the drill, so I guess I'm just looking for general applicability for future use
>>
I have a 6" long, 1/4" diameter titanium rod. What's something cool that I can do with it?
>>
>>1104138
Not off the top pf my head.

But a t square is a straightedge with a perpendicular straightedge the will square itself to a sheet of drywall or plywood.

A circular saw has a foot that can be pushed against a straightedge for a straight cut.

You can buy one from harbor freight and return it afterwards.

You can use this to get straight lines and square corners.

Look up "cut straight lines in plywood" and "edge banding plywood" on youtuvbe for ideas.

I mean, you could get the plane, but sharpening blades like that is a skill that needs to be mastered to get consistent results. I bought their expensive pane, it was trash put of the box, sharpening the iron made it workable, but it doesnt hold an edge for long.
>>
I dropped my favorite mug today, and it developed a hairline crack in it. What would be the best way to seal it?
>>
File: 1473398736683.jpg (35KB, 514x566px) Image search: [Google]
1473398736683.jpg
35KB, 514x566px
>>1104480
Beyond my skillset, but this is pretty cool nonetheless.
>>
What sort of e-waste can I salvage high amp (~150A) diodes or rectifiers from? Otherwise, where can I buy them dirt cheap?
>>
I'm a new mechanic, I work on everything from cars and trucks down to 2 stroke power equipment. Unfortunately there's not a lot of jobs around here for inexperienced mechanics. What I want to know is what certifications I can get on my own without the help of an employer.
>>
>>1100871
>>1101728
>>1101886
I know I don't deserve an answer, but helpfulanon pls come back. I'm still at a loss what this shit is.
>>
>>1104636
What kind of work are you doing now? Generally you should be able to get work at a dealership as a lube tech. If not, then hit up a quick lube. Alternatively, if you live with parents do it free lance. Advertise around and keep a ton of business cards. Price your labor at $60/hr and go wild.
>>
>>1104636
Where do you live? Michigan you need 2 years work experience, 2 years of school with an associates or certificate counts as one year. You dont even need school. ASE certs arent necessary, state certs are(unless youre under the table) and state certs mirror ASE pretty closely.

You need an apprenticeship. Ive heard some podunk states let you just pick up a wrench. You can carry that experience over to michigan, other states might allow it.
>>
Put a cup with a little hole on it on top of the terrarium, you want a slow drop. Fill with water before you leave for work. It worked pretty well for me, you can make more if desired. Relatively unrelated to your post but it works well for me.
>>
>>1104671
Putting some kind of cover on top of the terrarium (not fully) will help with that as well
What cha got in the terrarium anyway OP?
>>
>>1095859
>>1104671
>>1104672
>>
How to remove tackboard from concrete? Its riping up small bits of conrete. Do i just let it do that?
>>
>>1104645
This is pretty much my plan. I'm not that young though, and I only recently entered the field. That's what makes people unsure about hiring me.

>>1104646
I live in Jersey. Here you can just pick up a wrench if you're young. I'm 28. Additionally most places want you to work toward your ASEs. I have completed a 2 year degree in automotive and will receive my degree in may. I'm mostly just looking for steps I can take on my own outside of automotive.
>>
>>1101585
Okay, male form of seamstress is seamstran. The thing youre talking about making is usally called a dustruffle. Canvas will be a motherfucker to hand sew, and you will push the needles through your own skin
>>
>>1103987
Lubricate switches with a nonductive grease?
>>
got a blackmax 5500w generator that has a ducar 420cc engine which im pretty sure is just a predator 420cc. i want to give it electric start. its just a clone of the gx390 so the parts will fit on it right?
>>
>>1099203
it's a woodruff key. look it up. hit it on top until it seats flat.
>>
>>1104795
It feels more like a clearance issue than a friction issue. But nothing should be out of place in a way that would cause it
>>
>>1104790
You seem like you know what you're talking about, I wanted to say I learned something on 4chan today... Seamstran? Can't even get a HIT on Google for that one my man. Most answers for a male seamstress are either seamster or tailor, in that order of preference since evidently a tailor is a different critter then a seamstress. So what gives anon? You got a citation for that seamstran thing you threw out there? I want to believe...
>>
>>1095859

Im soon going to build a mitx pc in a mitx case and im thinking of making my own modular PSU.

Nothing fancy, just cut and strip the wire of the 4 pin Molex and make them shorter so I dont have a ton of cables i wont need in my case, but still wants to be able to plug it in if I need the power.

Anyone here have done anything like that?
>>
Does anyone know anything about this mini foundry? There is no brand name anywhere.
>>
File: WP_20161227_15_26_22_Pro.jpg (2MB, 3264x1840px) Image search: [Google]
WP_20161227_15_26_22_Pro.jpg
2MB, 3264x1840px
>>1105069
Sorry, forgot pic
>>
File: WP_20161227_15_31_35_Pro.jpg (1MB, 3264x1840px) Image search: [Google]
WP_20161227_15_31_35_Pro.jpg
1MB, 3264x1840px
>>1105070
Pic of he back
>>
File: IMAG0729.jpg (3MB, 1520x2688px) Image search: [Google]
IMAG0729.jpg
3MB, 1520x2688px
I'm making a box and I want to put some metal trim on the edges, but I don't know what it's called or where to buy it. Specifically the thin metal banding that goes around the corners of the box, and the corners that fit over the banding.

Here's a picture of a box for reference.
>>
>>1105202
Amp corners
>>
Im about to orser a light (sort of like a chandelier thing) from china, do i need to knoe anything about wattages or will it work regardless of where i am?
>>
>>1100871
I've seen the two prong ones used for TV antennas. Pull the plate off and see what it's wired to. Four prong is usually old phones
>>
I've replaced my old CRT secondary display and I was wondering if there's anything cool I can do with it. I'm gonna strip the components out, but I was wondering if I could do anything with the shadow mask. Make something with it - or electroplate it or something.

It's such a nice piece of metal.
>>
File: shed.jpg (2MB, 2672x2256px) Image search: [Google]
shed.jpg
2MB, 2672x2256px
Planning on fixing an old tool shed. Door is shot (duh). Going to use a 3' out-swing so I get more floor space inside. Replace some of the sill that's rotted out. That's not a big deal.

What I am wondering about is if I should use hardy board, vinyl siding, or metal. All have reasons. Vinyl comes in many colors and wood-look. hardy board comes in a more limited selection or has to be painted. Then of course there is metal, but I'm not a fan of that. The shed is bog standard house construction.

The intertubes has lots of opinions. I'm more interested in "anon watch this or you will fuck up."
>>
>>1105999
Oh, and before someone asks. That doodad by the door was an electric lock. Solenoid on the inside activated a deadbolt. I was board. :)
>>
I did some research on building a stick for PC but I wanna make sure I'm not fucking up somehow before I order parts online. From my understanding all I need is:
>a box (gonna figure this out while I wait for other parts to arrive)
>a PCB and wires https://www.focusattack.com/ps3-pc-zero-delay-usb-encoder-pcb-japan-style-controls/
>buttons 10x https://www.arcadespareparts.com/arcade_parts/sanwa_parts/sanwa_button_obsfs_30_r/13696.html
>joystick https://www.arcadespareparts.com/arcade_parts/sanwa_parts/sanwa_joystick_green/12005.html
Should I go ahead and order those? I've tried asking /v/ and /fgg/ but got ignored.
>>
File: 38283.jpg (47KB, 550x550px) Image search: [Google]
38283.jpg
47KB, 550x550px
>>1095859
I am starting out in wood-burning and i was wondering if the walnut hollow tools are any good.
>>
>>1105999

seriously dude, rip that fucker down and build a new one.

if you like the design, take some measurements and duplicate it, you will achieve nothing but wasting your time with "fixing" that
>>
>>1106170
There is nothing wrong with the inside or the frame. Just the front and the paint peeling off old redwood siding. Why build a whole new shed when all I need to do is fix a few things.
>>
>>1106139
I got one of those when my old soldering iron broke because it was the cheapest thing i could find and it came with a couple extra things I could find useful in the future.

My only problems with it is the cord is rather short with the dial for turning it on and adjusting heat to be sort of awkwardly placed along the wire and theres really no way to tell how hot it gets and it makes the dial feel like its completely useless.

Other than that really cant go wrong getting it if you're just getting into into wood burning. It's either on or not and that's all you need
>>
File: upgXL.jpg (18KB, 350x350px) Image search: [Google]
upgXL.jpg
18KB, 350x350px
Are cell phone batteries protected or is the protection circuit inside the phone?
>>
>>1106224
see that black plastic cap on the battery? that's where the protection is
>>
>>1095859
Got a tarantula buddy? Me too

Live moss does the trick for me. Humidity 20% in my apt but 75 in the enclosure thanks to a small pool of water as well as cocoa fiber substrate that is heated and kept moist via one of those bulbs that automatically water plants when the soil is dry. It takes up room but Artemis is a good girl and she doesn't mind
>>
I want to peel off some laminate from a shelf but replace it. Its a built in clothes holder thing. Should i just replace the whole unit or is it possible to relaminate
>>
I just picked up a Harbor Freight metal lathe on Craigslist, and it's going to be my first foray into machining, so I don't have any background knowledge to work off of as far as the materials are concerned. Is there a good beginner book I can buy that would help me understand the metallurgy side of things, and how that relates to machining? I don't need tables and tables of specific info, but something that can warn me about which materials work harden, if I should take lighter or deeper cuts on certain materials, that type of stuff. Unfortunately I'm not even to the point where I know what I don't know, so I'm not sure what I even need to ask for!
>>
I have everything set up for a little PA system that I am putting together, the only thing I am having trouble with the the mic. I am trying to use a CB microphone (pic related) and am trying to find the best way to keep the PTT functionality. I want to have to push the button before sound goes through(ie. how a PTT mic works), but I am at a loss.

I was thinking a simple relay setup but the mic is completely unpowered, meaning there would be no active component to trigger the relay.

Any ideas?
>>
>>1106450
You have to create an account, but its a pretty good start.

Yes they are trying to sell you their cutters, but its actually very informative. You can also learn about milling too.
http://www.sandvik.coromant.com/en-us/services/education/pages/e-learning.aspx
>>
File: 1482910943400.jpg (50KB, 616x519px) Image search: [Google]
1482910943400.jpg
50KB, 616x519px
>>1105971
THAT'S IT!! Thank you so much for solving the Mystery of the Weird Wall Plates, anon.
>>
File: 1450322585216.jpg (5KB, 187x250px) Image search: [Google]
1450322585216.jpg
5KB, 187x250px
Can I power my PC with two PSUs? I planing on SLI so the secondary PSU would power the secondary graphics card.
>>
>>1106959
Yes just google how to jump an ATX power supply. Takes literally a paperclip
>>
File: 957563.jpg (9KB, 224x336px) Image search: [Google]
957563.jpg
9KB, 224x336px
Condsidering dyeing pic related color chinos dark green. What colors should I pick, I mean how does the primary color affect the final color?
>>
File: image.jpg (186KB, 1024x576px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
186KB, 1024x576px
Any tips on refinishing solid brass?

I have some lacquered cast brass balls that cap the tops of stall fronts in a barn to make it look in the "European style". Over the past 10+ years they were almost never dusted, polished, re-lacquered, or maintained in any fashion. On almost every ball the lacquer has cracked, chipped off in parts and became opaque. I have stripped the lacquer off of the balls so I can clean, polish and re-lacquer them to their original luster. Here's where the problem lies. Where the old lacquer cracked, the exposed brass has tarnished so, even after the balls are stripped, the surface still looks cracked. I have used EVERY brass cleaner out there (Brasso, Noxon, vinegar and salt, lemon juice and salt, you name it) but the discolored cracks are still clear as day. I tried an auto body rubbing compound on one and the grit was able to remove the tarnish cracks creating a uniform smooth finish. However, when I compare the newly polished ball to another stripped ball that didn't have any cracks in the original lacquer it's clear the newly cleaned ball, while clearly still a golden brass color, has more of a steely cool silver color and lacks the deep, warm yellow-golden luster of the original metal.

Is there any explanation for this? Is there a wax or polish that I could apply to achieve this golden luster? Is it possible that the balls were plated in a thin golden colored something or other metal to give it the that finish? I have about 70-100 of these balls to refinish and I need them to look like they did originally or as close as possible.

Apologies for shitty phone camera images.
>>
>>1106980
not shill, try flitz. plus the lacquer gives depth just like clear-coat does to automotive paint.
>>
Best orbital sander for under $45?
>>
>>1107091
On my phone or I would link it for you.

Check out the popular mechanics article on orbital sanders. Google should suffice.
>>
>>1106966
you know you can just buy green pants, right. they're probably cheaper
>>
>>1107148
>be broke
>own a shitload of chinos
>dye costs three fiddy
>new pants cost at least fiddy
>>
>>1107181
>be broke
>own a shitload of chinos
you're too stupid to dye pants.
>>
>>1107196
I bought them when I had a job and they've been sitting in my shelf for years
>>
File: bench.png (646KB, 1474x780px) Image search: [Google]
bench.png
646KB, 1474x780px
I'm building pic related onto a metal frame I salvaged. I want to seal the planned MDF surface from liquids.Not like hosing shit down liquids, just occasional spills.

What would be suitable? Ideally I'd need it to be fairly rugged as well because work surface.
>>
>>1107406
Pretty much anything should be fine. Depends on how occasional occasional is. I've never used a coaster on my MDF desk, and 12+ years later, the finish has worn on a few spots where it swells up, so I just scrape it flat(usually just with whatevers handy. An old gift card even) once or twice a year. I'd just get something that soaks in and call it good, maybe BLO if it's somewhere warm enough it can cure quickly. Polyurethane basically puts a plastic coat on top, but that's not always ideal, and it does wear.
>>
>>1107406

Some sub-mm paint layer won't last under a hammer blow.

Just put something on top, vinyl flooring, laminate flooring, steel sheet, copper sheet, whatever.
>>
File: SF_BKT_03.png (435KB, 700x569px) Image search: [Google]
SF_BKT_03.png
435KB, 700x569px
Hello. I need one of these adaptors to place my new good PSU on my old ATX case. But, I could not find it being sold... Should I really improvise one?
>>
>>1103390
Nobody gives a shit but the magnets worked. Countersunk one into the seat and used epoxy to fix the other to the porcelain cistern.
>>
>>1107655
That's actually pretty badass. I've got the same problem with one of my toilets and may try your magnet fix.
>>
>>1102288
>vinegar
kek
Try different sock materials, I find some types reek to hell and others smell fine.
>>
File: 000000000000.jpg (101KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
000000000000.jpg
101KB, 1600x1200px
where (if possible) can i get a tritium vial amazon?
>>
>>1102288

Use wool socks fool.
>>
>>1108123
this is where i buy all of my tritium http://tritiumkeychains.com/shop/
>>
>>1108123
you can't get them on amazon but they're all over ebay for next to nothing
>>
I'm really interested in creating my own fairly large terrarium (thinking around slightly smaller than the average fish tank) but have absolutely no idea where to start. Does anyone have any tips or know from experience?
>>
if you have an exo terra put some aluminum foil on top. Bubble wrap will also do but don't cover the whole top airtight.
>>
Is bending an axial lead capacitor 90 degrees bad? The circuit would fit the casing better that way.
>>
>>1108591
This is stupid question thread, so...
No, you should not bend the capacitor's body. You're likely to break it that way. And yes, you can bend the leads. You shouldn't bend the leads very close to the body, though.
>>
Hi, everyone, I'm about to paint MDF and I'm a bit clueless here.
So I've sealed my MDF using some woodworker's glue. Now I'd like to paint it over with water-based paint meant for furniture. However, there are many things that I do not know.
1)how rough should I leave the sealed surface? Does this affect the final finish? I'd like to have a smooth finish with little to no surface details.
2) As I understand, a perfect finish with water-based paints is rarely achieved. What should I do to get as good a finish as I can? For example, what sort of paint roller should I use? Should I do thin coats or thick coats? The paint is not self-smoothing. Can I sand between the layers like I can using alkyd paint, or will this fuck things up? Should I use water to make the paint thinner or not?
I do not have access to an airbrush, unfortunately, so rollers are the only thing I can use.
>>
File: WP_20170104_00_48_10_Pro.jpg (2MB, 2568x1424px) Image search: [Google]
WP_20170104_00_48_10_Pro.jpg
2MB, 2568x1424px
hey /diy/, shit happened, and I have a fan with one of the helices broke in half, I glued it together with tape, but it feels like it'll not hold out for long, can you recommend me something to make it safer? maybe a better way to tape it together?

sorry for my english, not my first language
>>
>>1108818
>I glued it together with tape
There's your mistake. You should have taped it together with glue.

>can you recommend me something to make it safer?
Shitcan it and replace it. They can be had cheap at thrift stores and garage sales.
>>
what's the name of that program that you can use to do architectural designs?
>>
>>1099393
Used to be a janitor. You should definitively clean it, its dust, skin, insect shit etc. Attracts things you dont want including bacteria.

A mere 10mm layer of dust will severely reduce the effectiveness of your fan/air movement as well. Clean out once a year. :-)
>>
>>1108858
superglue/cyanoacrylate. Use the fucking cage.
>>
>>1108623
If you have a sander, sanding with 80-120 grit would be sufficient to prep for paint. Don't thin the paint. Mdf does not do well with water. Thin coats would be fine but it might take a while to get good coverage. Can't really recommend rollers(just not knowledgeable) but make sure you rinse em to get all the fuzz and shit out of em first. You can definitely sand between coats just make sure you wipe all the crap off so it doesn't gum up your brush or roller when you put on a new coat.
>>
>>1096750
Most solvents work. Nail varnish remover (acetone) and lighter fluid (naphtha) both work well.

If neither of those are to hand then a can of Axe/Lynx should deposit more than enough solvent to do the job with a ten second burst from an inch or so distance.

Not tried it with the new uber compressed deodorant cans, they might have changed the solvent. But it used to be my (cheap and plentiful) go to for removing permanent marker from surfaces.

Even as an adult I get at least three gift boxes of Lynx/Axe shower gel and deodorant each Christmas.
>>
>>1098553
Holesaw with masking tape applied around it at a distance of 1/8" from the tip.

When you can't see any bare metal you're 1/8" deep. You can then pry out the remaining plug and sand flat.

If the magnet isn't that wide the skip the Holesaw, use a drill bit the correct diameter to start then finish with sandpaper wrapped around a pencil or dowel maybe.

Can't think of anything else that will give a neat circle.
>>
>>1098974
Holesaw same diameter as your pole, or fractionally less for a squeaky tight won't move fit.

If the hole is too small sand lightly around the outside and recheck, if no fit still then sand lightly and recheck. Keep going until it fits, 100+ grit paper as you'll only be removing a fractional amount per time to keep the fit tight.

Much harder to add wood back to a hole than to take it away.
>>
>>1099318

I was going to go with whittling or carving too. If you can be arsed making tools at home when you're not hooked up, you can use files to do your finishing work when you are hooked up.

Since that tends to be the time consuming part and the quality of the finish is generally far better if you're tidying up and performing finishing touches with hand tools and sanding paper.
>>
>>1101792

Yes, normal indoors amplifiers are 8 ohm so they should match fine.

If you could tell us about any markings on the cabinets, i.e manufacturer or model number then I might be able to help further.

I would say however that you'd normally need a higher rating than 20w to actually make much air move, unless you're capable of doing the math and producing a decent cabinet. Which generally speaking is a hell all of its own that has it's own experts with their myriad opinions.
>>
File: 1446079687421.png (3MB, 1920x1200px) Image search: [Google]
1446079687421.png
3MB, 1920x1200px
What kind of anchor do I use on a metal door. Its probably hollow. Its thin so I doubt drywall anchors will work.
>>
What's the difference between me, someone who's painted for 5 months
And a "two years of experience"painter?
This is all for interior shit. What in the world could they have that I dont?
>>
>>1109150
Do this with glue once you figured out if it fits. Hanging like that will pull it out.
>>
Septic tank for a trailer.
Wasnt drained until toilet and tub backed up. Flush toilet water comes thru tub drain. Stinks. Length of pvc pipe under trailer must be drain. What do? Im lying under the trailer on the gravel typing this. About -10C was in the 20s and 30s past month.
>>
>>1104642

My aunt has a house attached to a pub, which had formerly been a hotel in decades long past.

As well as the call buttons on the wall in each room, she had a wall mounted box in the kitchen with little windows showing in which room the bell had been dinged, as well as a small bell and mechanical hammer under each window (on the kitchen panel) which would draw the maids attention.

Without the master control panel (as we might describe it these days) there is little reason to believe anything would happen when you "ring" the bell/button.
>>
>>1105072

I can tell you a mainland European has written on it in biro. Their 1's look similar to an inverted V. Maybe search French sites.

They're all taught to write those odd numerals in school. In the UK, as in the US, you can write numbers in a variety of ways. On the mainland there is total standardisation of written numerals.

That kind of anal retentiveness, seemingly led by the Belgians and Grockels, is just one reason to brexit ladies and gentlemen ;)
>>
i bought some cheap sunglasses and they have a ugly branding on the frames, how can i remove the logo without damaging the frames/plastic?
>>
Typical rural house, not big, not small. How hard would it be to put the well on an independent power source, specifically solar? What kind of panels would it need?
>>
>>1109967
Well pumps draw quite a bit. Google for some of your options.
>>
Hey, i know sex toy related things shouldnt be on here, but whats the simplest and easiest way to make the electronic components for a fucking machine? All i need is a low RPM high torue motor the has speed control.Thinking about getting a cheap hammer drill and hooking up a pot where the trigger goes.
>>
Anybody know what the smallest car AM/FM tuner I can get is?
>>
File: IMG_20170108_013425.jpg (2MB, 4160x3120px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170108_013425.jpg
2MB, 4160x3120px
Greetings /qtddtot/

I repainted this case with an acrylic because I couldn't get a colour match in enamel, ended up with a sample pot of british paint internal. It seems however the paint has gone funky. It has had three roller coats (to replicate the textured paint it originally had) but the paint is still tacky after 48 hours. If I leave an object on the case it sticks, and a screwdriver that I had left on the case left a fine indent where the handle appears to have "sunk" into the paint

Is something wrong here? This shit is basically interior paint and the walls of my house aren't sticky.
>>
>>1110723

Did you leave each coat to dry as long as the tin says?

Could try putting in front of a heater/radiator with fan to speed it up a bit.
>>
>>1110785
Yessir, two hours between coats as dictated on the pot. I'm ausfag and it's hot as balls here at the moment (low humidity as well), paint was done over two 35C degree days. I'm pretty sure it's as dry as it's gunna get, it just doesn't seem to have cured properly or something.

If all else fails I'll strip it and see if I can get a paint match via an auto shop or something, but I'd rather avoid rattle cans because I want the textured finish.
>>
>>1110723
You used house paint on a product that typically doesn't get painted with house paint you dumbo.
>>
>>1110910
Not by choice, I have already stated my reasons for doing do, and again, interior paint does not usually go tacky like this in my past experience.

I went back to the paint shop today with the lid, they are equally confused. They told me to throw a clear coat of rustoleum enamel satin over it and see how it goes, if it still fucks out they're going to refund me the cost of the paint, good enough for me.

Will report results of clear coat for anyone else who might bump into this.
>>
Rebuilding a battery pack for an amateur radio, is there a good place to get non Chinese garbage 18650 cells that aren't over $10 a cell in 'Merica? My options seem to be BatteriesPlus but they sell only 1 kind of 18650 and it has warnings about how it's only for their LED flashlight, or Chinese garbage that claims 3400mAh but is nowhere near that.
>>
>>1108858
>>1109135
well fuck, I ended up getting another, was a birthday gift, which is way better than that one could ever be

It has even a remote control, really nice

But thanks anyways guys
>>
File: KDQEp8y.jpg (681KB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
KDQEp8y.jpg
681KB, 3264x2448px
Got me a twice-Craigslisted Harbor Freight special. Haven't operated a metal lathe before. Where do I get started with this thing? Are there any books I should pick up, or good points of reference I should check out? I have absolutely zero experience with any metalworking, and no specific projects in mind, I'm just one of those guys who watched too many machining videos on YouTube, and the price was right. Probably just using it for straight bodied acrylic pens until I come up with a project.
>>
File: File Jan 08, 2 04 57 PM.jpg (813KB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
File Jan 08, 2 04 57 PM.jpg
813KB, 3264x2448px
Is there anything that would cause lightbulbs to all start failing at the same time? These were all from the same pack, have been in use for about 6 months (intermittently) and a week ago they all started flickering then eventually dying completely. pretty sure they were all 60 watts with the small stem. I have a spare bulb that I just tried out and it's working so it doesn't look like the fixture is failing
>>
>>1111547
Depends on the type of bulb. Heat, vibration, excessive voltage, poor manufacturing, a dozen other things.
>>
I got an antique dresser that's painted and varnished on the outside. It's nice but smells kind of musty, no sign of actual damp or anything just a kind of gross smell. Ive been airing it out but that's only done so much. I was told to use apple cider vinegar to wipe it down with and that'll get rid of the smell. Does it work? And is it going to stain the wood/damage the paint or varnish?
>>
File: 20161008_183830.jpg (2MB, 5312x2988px) Image search: [Google]
20161008_183830.jpg
2MB, 5312x2988px
So I have this screw and how do I properly measure the screw so I can find a spare one on ebay. Also what is this head type on this screw in english? The screw seems fine threaded if that helps, and has a hex on the head for screwing.
>>
>>1111658
>how do I properly measure the screw
A thread gauge. From there it's just standard dimensions.
>>
>>1111662
>A thread gauge

Which one do I need to buy, in terms of sizes. The screw in the picture is 5-6mm in length
>>
>>1111666
> satanic trips

a large hardware store, like a Lowes, that sells many diff sized screws, will have a doodah with various labeled nuts that you can try to see which fits your mystery screw. yours looks like an 8x32 or maybe a 4mm if it's metric.
>>
I have a 60" x 48" mirror I want to hang temporarily in my apartment. I can't glue but can screw into the walls, can I use this piece as a bottom bracing for the mirror? The mirror is super heavy and my roommates don't trust that the mirror clips I have would hold the weight. For the top I'd just use normal mirror clips since they're just holding it against the wall not bearing real weight
>>
File: File Jan 08, 8 40 43 PM.jpg (2MB, 2448x3264px) Image search: [Google]
File Jan 08, 8 40 43 PM.jpg
2MB, 2448x3264px
>>1111733
sorry, picture
>>
Apartment question here

My landlord has recently done some work in the apartment below. Lets say paint job or something. The fumes have been coming up to the upstairs bedroom, and its so bad that you get eye irritation if you stay there for few minutes. Its been like that for a week and half. They say its non-toxic, however its an irritant so I cant use the bedroom at all. I've also been exhausting the smell through window and fan on exhaust mode for that period. Because of that, the electricity has shot up a bit. The living room temperature is cold as fuck and I sleep in living room as well temporarily. What actions could I take that would seem fair and not "so jewish"? I was thinking of asking for rent discount, because not being able to use a 1/3 of the room for 1/3 of the month. What other things could be discussed that doesn't sound like I'm taking advantage of the situation and would be seen as fair/reasonable?
>>
File: Capture.png (470KB, 1243x788px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
470KB, 1243x788px
>>1107474
Very occasional, as in not at all unless I ave a spazfit and knock something over. BLO seems legit, thanks anon.

>>1107517
I considered floor vinyl but it will not quite take the punishment, plus it will be a bitch to remove and replace when the time comes. If all else fails I can just unscrew the top from the bottom and replace it I guess, the way I'm assembling the top should make it easy enough to do.

>>1111263
..And shit is still tacky as fuck after a clear coat. No idea whats happened but it looks like I need to strip and start again. Fuck.
>>
>>1111925

anything you ask for you will be viewed as being a jew, coz, as far as he's concerned, he's improving the building and everyone should be happy to make a little sacrifice.

what you need to do is live with it this time, but take some deterrent means so that he'll consider using better materials and techniques in the future. what i personally would do is smash the entry windows, then wait for them to be repaired and smash them again. nothing deters like 1000's of dollars in deductibles.
>>
>>1111944

My dad used to have his desk covered with PVC conveyor belt. Hitting it with a hammer did nothing, I doubt I would have been able to do damage with an engineer's hammer before just destroying the workbench altogether.

I guess vinyl flooring with similar quality wouldn't be cheap though.
>>
Where can I buy a single Security Torx-10 bit from?

I need to tighten my leatherman but I only have one bit the right size and I need one for each side. I don't want a whole other set of bits lying around.
>>
>>1112083

find a real man, you know someone with a full tool box, and offer up your boipussy in exchange for burrowing privileges.
>>
I feel like /fa/ would be too retarded for this question

Who the hell makes a well ass made durable sneaker?

The asics I bought last me only 7 months
>>
>>1095859
it's reasonable that jews did 9/11
>>
>>1112054
Hmm, now you have me thinking of thick rubber sheet they line ute beds with. Thanks anon!
>>
I recently landed a gig as a maintenance mechanic. I've only had experience with residential shit before.

What are some good books with introductions to steam and pneumatic sytems?
>>
Mom is getting her living room recarpeted and asked me for help pulling up the old carpeting since the carpet people charge extra to rip it out.

Figured it would be an easy job, but the jackasses who installed it glued every fucking inch to the floor. The carpet has to be out by Thursday morning, there is no way I can scrape it out fast enough without destroying the plywood in the process. Are their any ways to soften the cured glue, or is the only option that I have left to rip up and replace the plywood tomorrow?
>>
I keep a little Altoids tin with a Wera bit ratchet and some bits in it at work(big box home improvement store), and came across a spanner screw for the first time recently, so I'm thinking I need to add a spanner bit or two to my box. What are the most common sizes I'll probably encounter? Space is a bit of a premium, since, ya'know, Altoid tin, so I don't want to get a full set. I'm okay with cludging things a bit, so if I can get a couple of metric/imperial sizes that are close enough to the imperial/metric equivalent, neat.
>>
>>1112083
Odds and ends one-off stuff, just Ebay it, especially for something where you're not likely going to fuck up something made of chinesium. Always works out well enough for me. Screwdriver for a Nintendo DS, the right security Torx for a 360 controller, drill bit and tap for a Dremel accessory neck, a single pack of Wiha bits for >>1112658, etc. Did Leatherman seriously start using security Torx?
>>
File: IMG_1625.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1625.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
Anybody know exactly what this is?
>>
File: IMG_1627.jpg (1MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1627.jpg
1MB, 3264x2448px
>>1112861
Another pic
>>
File: IMG_1628.jpg (1MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1628.jpg
1MB, 3264x2448px
>>1112862
It's threaded inside and the white bit is maybe nylon
>>
>>1112861
>>1112862
>>1112863
got any shittier pics?
>>
File: IMG_1626.jpg (1MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1626.jpg
1MB, 3264x2448px
>>1112871
Yes
>>
>>1112874
You do understand the concept of focus, right..?
>>
Why are torx bits the fucking worst ever?
>>
File: DSC_0012.jpg (412KB, 1546x1294px) Image search: [Google]
DSC_0012.jpg
412KB, 1546x1294px
hey /diy/, i have a question. I was dissasembling some random radios and tv receivers when i unknowingly bumped into this beauty. It is a power supply of unknown wattage that i wish to know.

I'm a newbie when it comes to components, having bought my first breadboard just a couple of days ago and not having a suitable power supply, howerer this baby has 3,5,12 and 24 volts outputs which is perfect for me since i can play around with it for starters.

All google searches on the different prints on the pcb lead me to random chinese shops selling mens footwear, so does anyone maybe know from where this comes from?

Printed:
KK1 RU 94VO
BK
T2AL 250V (which is the fuse)
Model: HD5160
Revision: 1.0
Heng Di (why i think it is of chinese origin)
RU94V-0

If anyone could shine me some lights on the source or maybe just wattage i'll be very gratefull.
>>
>>1113095
and yes i know, shit camera (only good camera in my house :S ) also im looking into it because my jumper wires for the breadboard fit perfectly into the ribbon cable, so less mess with aligator clips and such.
>>
>>1113095
You can make a rough guess about the total power by checking the IC and you can make guesses about the output currents by checking the diodes.

Based on their sizes alone, I'd guess you get 1-2A of 3.3V and 5V and maybe something like 500mA of 12V and some 24V, giving a total of something like 20-30W. But yeah, these values are just one step above total asspull.
>>
>>1113095

Been a long time since I took physics in highschool, but isn't wattage = amperage x voltage? Just grab your multimeter and a calculator and get to solving.
>>
>>1099318
>>
File: Earthbag.jpg (120KB, 600x450px) Image search: [Google]
Earthbag.jpg
120KB, 600x450px
>>1095859

So, earthbags, right? They seem pretty cool! Cheap, anyways. Good R Value.

Anyone have any experience building with them? Good books, resources, maybe even some contact information so we could go back and forth on it for a while?

I've got about 10k in the bank right now but it's probably going to be another year before I can really start building.
>>
>>1113191
The thermal capacity of those things do not take away from how ugly those structures are. It's hardly a step up from shit huts in Africa, only this time it's cool and hip.

The guy who came up with superadobe was the original hipster in that he took literal shit and made everybody think it was a style.
>>
File: cordwoodfloorhawaii.jpg (48KB, 357x274px) Image search: [Google]
cordwoodfloorhawaii.jpg
48KB, 357x274px
>>1113191

Why live in stacked dirt when cordwood construction is fucking beautiful?
>>
I plan on buying an angle grinder to one day use for illegal shit. Do you think I should buy a wired one or go for battery powered? Not needing to find a plug would definitely be a plus but you wouldn't want to run out of power while cutting into the side of a safe or something.
>>
>>1113217

Just buy the cheapest one you can find. You won't get through a safe with an angle grinder, and you should save your money for a good lawyer.
>>
>>1113164
>But yeah, these values are just one step above total asspull.
It might be shitty, but for running some simple things like 555 circuits for leds and stuff it gets the job done, also i left it running on 5V on a short circuit and it never overheated or anything. Anyho thanks for the input, i did check the ic's on the pcb and one is a simple controller chip (ICE 28265) and the other is a pc17k1 which by what google says is a single bundled led with a phototransistor on the other side. None gave me wattage unfortunately (or i missed them).

>>1113168
>wattage = amperage x voltage
Isn't that only the case for components that spend power? Since if you try to measure amperage you'll get a very high number none the less because of no resistance (except internal and maybe the multimeters).
>>
does anyone know how to make a one way valve small enough to fit into a glass bottle neck?
the idea of course being that air can flow in but liquid would not flow out
thanks in advance
>>
>>1113423
Gotta got a ball in there that'll float up and form a seal
>>
>>1113217
>illegal shit

in that case, any angle grinder you can steal would be appropriate. don't forget to steal the correct consumables.
>>
>>1109142
>Even as an adult I get at least three gift boxes of Lynx/Axe shower gel and deodorant each Christmas.
People are trying to tell you something.
>>
>>1113962
this
>>
How would I make an end grain cutting board without a thicknesser/planer? I have an electric hand planer but I'm guessing it'd be too hard to make multiple passes with that to get it nice and flat.
>>
File: IMG_7096.jpg (1MB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_7096.jpg
1MB, 1600x1200px
Bought an IBM Selectric II to fix (and resell)
Any idea what this part is?
>>
>>1101601
>>1101603
>>1101604

/diy/, where DIY = absolute cheapest possible approach.

> rather than best, most sensible approach… with a leaning towards fixing rather than throwing out and repairing yourself over paying out the nose for a "professional", while still considering the possibility that paying someone to do the job they were trained in and have spent years doing might be the best solution… and considering that using a product that's been perfected over the course of a century or more might be a better solution than something that kinda works.
>>
>>1111547
>>1111553
Can be cold too. Filament bulbs hate cold.

Although those look like LEDs so that's more likely to be a manufacturing fault.
>>
>>1113237
You'd be surprised

https://youtu.be/DG9mEVifnHM?t=424
>>
>>1113769

You want the ball to sink, the beer won't spill out while the bottle is upright.
>>
Sup /DIY/

So, im moving with my friend but i have to literally divide a room to make my own room, idk for how long i will stay there, a year minimum, i dont have much money to invest in the wall, i was thinking on building it out of sheetrock but i think it will take more than some sheetrock panels and screws so im leaning more on a recicled wood wall or straight on pallets with some plaster to cover the gaps but the thing is that the room has porcelain like tiles that i cant perforate but i can perforate the walls which are concrete.

Im thinking on making a transversal structure that runs from wall to wall that holds the wall, ofc it wont be very strong but it will give me some privacy

Any ideas or tips on this task? I have basic knowledge on this and i can use a drill and cut shit with a saw
>>
File: decorative wood panelling.jpg (8KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
decorative wood panelling.jpg
8KB, 400x400px
>>1114489

decorative wood paneling. they come in huge sheets, 4x8 feet, 5/32-thick; they're light and inexpensive. hang from ceiling hooks, and use double-sided tape, or hot glue on the floor to keep them from swinging.
>>
>>1101601
>>1114215
hot water
dishwashing liquid
fine bits of aluminum foil
put it with the silver in a bottle or something and shake it
>>
File: 1476833345665.jpg (1MB, 1932x2576px) Image search: [Google]
1476833345665.jpg
1MB, 1932x2576px
/diy/ give me a project. I've got a scooter and i would like to make some interesting vehicle out of it. (there is no plastic on it and it wouldn't pass any inspection, so rather than throwing it away i would like to injure myself and end up in local news)
pic related not like this, something more innovative
>>
what kind of storage systems do you guys use? i've been looking for a cheap bin type sysem for small partsa
>>
File: this thing.jpg (246KB, 1030x651px) Image search: [Google]
this thing.jpg
246KB, 1030x651px
Can anyone who has built their own guitar using a kit give me some advice or experiences, and a recommendation for places to get parts? I have been thinking about picking up a kit for a bit during the summer, but I don't really know what I'm getting myself into.

I've been thinking about possibly getting one of those fake Chinese guitars in bare bone form to put decent pickups and gear into, but I've heard mixed things about them (although a lot of the negatives sound like they're coming from butthurt fanboys and brand whores).

The other option is buying a full on DIY kit, but I'm not sure if I'm up to the challenge of finishing all the wood and making it look good.

>>1114825
Make a single seat go-kart with one rear wheel, kinda like this thing.
Thread posts: 316
Thread images: 64

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.