[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Gold sluice

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 3

File: msweb550.jpg (302KB, 550x509px) Image search: [Google]
msweb550.jpg
302KB, 550x509px
So I have a problem where I keep learning new skills that I will never use. For what ever reason this week I have an itch to find gold. There is no gold in my state (Indiana) except for specific glacier run off, but as luck would have it, there is such deposits and a large stream in my back pasture. The only thing left to do now is try to find some gold. Problem is I don't know what the hell I'm doing, so are there any amateur/professional gold prospectors here who would like to give me some tips that I may be overlooking?

As for my sluice I'm planning on running everything through a series of progressively smaller screen down to 1/4 vertically then put some sideways wood strips for my initial baffles, then some field tile spread flat for secondary, and finally some 1/4 inch hardware cloth spread over burlap to catch any fine particles. The slant I'm thinking will be around 5-8% because that's the slope of the bank I'll be working on.

As far as where I will be trying this, I have two spots in mind that I intend to try, the first is mainly medium/fine rock with silt right behind that sits just behind a 90° angle where the creek goes from narrow deep fast moving water to wide flat slower water. The second spot is a pool right in front of a culvert we put in were the water had to raise up about 2.5 feet to get through the culvert. It's almost exclusively silt/organic debris, but I'm hopping it acted as a trap giving any gold that may have washed there a chance to settle before the water moved on.

Anyone able to offer any advice for a beginner or modifications/alterations to my plan?
>>
File: cache_638829004.jpg (133KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
cache_638829004.jpg
133KB, 800x600px
>>1095630
>>
>>1095635

This is the type of tile I'm planning on using for my middle baffles.
>>
Bump before bed.
>>
Saw a video where some dude bought play box sand from home improvement store, went home, panned it ad found gold.
Gold is everywhere, but not in high enough concentrations to make a profit from massive machinery.
I'm thinking of doing a sluice box on my creek also- biggest thing for placement is to have a spot where sediment is moved through. A clear running area won't deposit anything, you need "muddy" water.
90° bends will drop gold, so better chance of finding anything before/in it.
>>
>>1095630
Ive seen a few prospectors on out. Check there too.
>>
>>1095630
I've looked into it a lot but as there is no gold in Kansas never pursued it at all. As it is relevant to my field (work quarry for years) many of the processes are similar.

I can tell you water will fuck your shit up and u will have hell. Better make a trailer or portable sluice because technically you are a miner now. Congradulations. Now uncle Sam will be hunting u with a long dick.

Best do yourself a favor. Hire a pro and go panning for a few days and do the math. It's most likely not worth your time or investment other than a hobby.

And learn gold asaying or however you spell it. Make your own ingots and sell direct to jewelrsee as an asayer. Cut out the middle man.

Good luck anon. Do some panning and math. Be sure and keep u black dirt and weigh so u can do percentages of how much dirt per gram of gold or whatever.

Have fun.
>>
>>1095792

Yeah... I just want to build a sluice, fuck around with it until I manage to get a bucket full of black sand with a least one glimmer in it, then put everything in the back of the shop and move on to new things.
>>
File: Screenshot_20161208-131000.png (3MB, 1080x1920px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20161208-131000.png
3MB, 1080x1920px
So small update, I really half assed the sluice since it was colder than a witches tits, and I don't have a heated shop, just took a 2 foot piece of tile, cut it in half, and ran it like that. Set it up on the side of the creek in three different spots so that any runoff stayed on the ground, ran five 5 gallon buckets through it in each spot, then put the pile through a second time. I saw two extremely small specs that "might" have been gold, but it likely isn't. Also found some bird shot and a few neat rocks, so maybe I will put those rocks in a tumbler and see how they clean up. For now the plan is to spend the colder days studying up on gold mining and the warmer days this winter building/refining what I need to concentrate those specs into enough to figure out just what they are. Then this spring when it warms up enough to play in the water I'll give it another go.

Pic related, my quarter assed "sluice".
>>
Ive been planning on prospecting for a while now and might be able to help.

If it was me I would start panning as it is quite easy but time consuming, it will give you and idea if there is any gold to be found.

Then read these links if you want to built a sluicebox.

http://www.hecklerfabrication.com/files/sluice-build-partIII-2.pdf
http://www.hecklerfabrication.com/files/Clarkson_Riffle_Test.pdf
http://www.hecklerfabrication.com/files/fine_gold_recovery_sluiceboxes__Poling.pdf

And the rest of the pdf's in http://www.hecklerfabrication.com/files/
>>
>>1095800
Lol! Right on. Well, u can always find riders and shit and build a floating one. Hunt on youtube. They got plans for bitchin ones.
>>
>>1095864
Fair amuont of people use that exact setup for running fines and backpack exploration.
You can also pan for gem stones like rubies, sapphires, and diamonds.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.