[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So im in a pickle anons. Im trying to repair some 7.1 analog

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 1

File: received_10207474667455123.jpg (77KB, 960x717px) Image search: [Google]
received_10207474667455123.jpg
77KB, 960x717px
So im in a pickle anons. Im trying to repair some 7.1 analog headphones my rabbit decided to slice when i wasnt looking. I stead of trying to splice the wires at the break point (since these types of wires are so difficult to work with), ive decided to outright replace the broken wires entirely with new ones at the solder points.

My problem, i cant find these wires online anywhere, and when i try to amazon/google search, it pulls up nothing but f*cking setero auxiliary cords.

Going to radioshack, they only have typical presleeved copper wire, which isnt the same thin, flexible, stranded, multicolored wire that you'd typically find in headphones.

Any anons know where to find spools of these types of wires, or what theyre specifically called, for the sake of being able to search them up?

Pic is both the damage, and example of the type of wires im looking for.
>>
Buy small gauge speaker wire and some shrink tubeing to fix the hack job
>>
>>1095379

That would work, yes, but im looking for the light flexibility these cords have. I dont want my headphones to be stiff as fuck while im moving my head around. Kind of why im looking for these specifically.
>>
how much is left on the jack end? Could you just solder the remaining length to the headphones and use a cable extender?
>>
http://www.digikey.ca/product-search/en/cables-wires/multiple-conductor-cables/1638739
>>
>>1095389
The problem is that theres a usb cord in there as well, but thats still intact. Not sure if i want to snip that as well, if it'll require even more elbow grease. And theres a mix-amp mid way. Ive only got about 1.5 feet of cord from the headphones to the cut.

Theyre razer tiamat 7.1 surrounds that ive had for nearly 5 years. Im not really willing to blow $200 on a replacement pair, and i enjoy the analog speakers vs virtual 7.1. Ive used it before, and it sounds incredibly synthetic and disorienting.
>>
>>1095392

Edit: they have more than just a left, right, and ground wire. Theres about 9 wires in total.

1 usb, 8 "headphone wires", and 1 insulated ground wire thats also wraped in copper strands (this stumped me).

I havent opened the mix amp yet to see how its soldered together, nore have i opened up the headphones.
>>
>>1095383
if you keep the splice small it will just be a small bubble in a long cord
>>
>>1095407

True, but i have to bend the currently non severed wires to get the wores im trying to splice to reach one another, causing a kink in the whole cord too. If i can bridge the gap, im fine with a bulge from the solder because im going to wrap it tight in the end.
>>
I would definitely be hesitant to cut the USB cable. How far away is the beak from the headphones, and how easy are they to open up?

If the break is even kind-of-close to the headphones, you can open the headphones, desolder everything from what I assume is a PCB inside, sacrifice a little bit of sheathing from inside, pull the audio-related leads at the break so you have a bit more to work with, then repair the break with the audio leads staggered (minimal overlap). Then resolder the leads inside.

Get all relevant sizes of shrink wrap, of course.
>>
>>1095394
>>1095383
>>1095410
You appear to be an idiot. We gave you the best solution and you rejected it. Highfive a blender with what little balls you have.
>>
>>1095364
>7.1 analog headphones

found your problem

i say 5 years is about time you get out from this meme
>>
>>1095431

This seems to be my best option. The break is about 1.5 feet from the headphones, and 1.5 feet from the volume mixer. I might have to sacrifice distance from the mixer, but thatd be worth it if i can salvage the headphones.

>>1095432

I didnt outright reject it, im contemplating my options, taking advice, and coming up with a consensus. I want to use wire thats absolutely flexible for the sake of keeping my personal comfort in mind, rather than stiff wire thats designed for fixed use. Would you rather your headset have free hanging wires, or wires that require you to bend them constantly to fit the shape of you when you sit down.

Go take a chill and come back when youre less angry.

Im looking for a specific wire. Thats the point of this post, to find that type of wire, so i can use it. Suggest other wires all you want, but it doesnt change the fact im looking for this particular type.
>>
>>1095435

The use if the word meme here on 4chan nowadays is incredibly cancerous.

Theres nothing wrong with me liking directional audio, that doesnt sound fake because only 2 speakers are trying to "simulate" directional positioning. Virtual 7.1 is incredibly lazy on the manufacturers part, because they can still upsell (read: overprice) a product that has the same hardware as setreo headsets, add cheap drivers, and free software, with almost the same build quality

Having 5 speakers on each of my ears is actually nice. It doesnt sound like whatever noise thats behind me is coming through a tin can.

Being that ive had this headset for so long, and i use/borrow a virtual pair, i can easily tell the difference, and its uncomfortable. Its like warming a frozen tv dinner in the microwave instead of cooking it from the ingredients yourself, cheap, lazy, and will eventually give you cancer.
>>
>>1095450
>Having 5 speakers on each of my ears is actually nice.

just stop
u
s
t
s
t
o
p
>>
>>1095446
you have the wire in your hands why don't you measure it. there's only a few kinds of wire and any idiot could figure out what to use. just because you put around 1 inch of heat shrink tube on it doesn't mean its going to become a a damn metal bar. by the way his idea was just a slight rehash of mine. its not like you have that many options. you have a brain use it
>>
>>1095463
>>1095477

Jesus, DIY is full of angry fucks.
>>
>>1095550
You can call us whatever you want, you are still a useless idiot who bought a 7.1 meme headphone and used it straight for 5 years and can't fix a simple cord, we are not angry, we just think you are an idiot, you are projecting your emotions, try stop being retarded for one second maybe you can fix your meme headphone, good luck
>>
>>1095364
I also have a hard time finding quality braided multicore wire like this:
http://www.showmecables.com/product/belden-1172a-4-conductor-star-quad-low-impedance-cable-black-per-ft.aspx
>>
>>1095555
He may be an idiot, but you're the faggot getting triggered about things other people do.

Fuck off back to wherever you came from.
>>
>>1095364
You're looking for 40 gauge stranded wire. It's coated with acrylic or enamel or some shit for insulation. Surprised nobody's told you yet. Good luck.
>>
>>1095446
I'm the guy who advised the fix you think is best. Ask me if you have any questions, I'm monitoring.

(But I do agree that your headphones are pretty gay, haha. I use studio monitors for everything.)
>>
>>1095842
Also, post some damned pics of the connectors and headphones with the earpads taken off (if you can). Might shed some light on what's easiest to service.
>>
Put some cat5 cable in between. Or 2 phone cables, that will make 10 wires. You can also put female connectors on your headphone cables and run a standard cat5 or 2 phone cables in between. Do wire both ends in the correct order.
>>
>>1095856
Oh just checked and saw that phone cables only have 4 wires.
>>
I just finished a similar repair job, you should have cut the wire and resoldered what was left onto the headphones.

Find a similar pair of headphones, cut the wire off them and try your best to solder the wires on properly, the best way is to solder one wire at a time or memorize the colours. Good luck.
Thread posts: 26
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.