[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Home electrical help

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 4

File: IMG_20161206_182056.jpg (2MB, 1944x2592px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20161206_182056.jpg
2MB, 1944x2592px
Just bought a 1963 house in the US and it's all 2 prong outlets with a few incorrectly wired 3 prong (no ground nor gfci). Kitchen is wired 3 prong correctly, but no gfci.

I'm moderately electrically inclined (software dev by day) and looking to learn more about this. I have and know how to use multimeter and outlet tester.

My testing indicates the boxes are not grounded so I can't just pop in new outlets and ground them to the box. Can someone confirm that this is not bx cable? I am unfamiliar with spotting the different types. Am I going to have to fish wire?

New to the board too, so please be gentle. Thanks!
>>
>>1095092
you need to rewire the whole house, this is not /diy/able bcos u need a licensed electrician
>>
>>1095114
I think so, too, but was hoping to avoid it.

I went up in the attic to take a look and the cable is stamped with "dutrax type nm 600v" of the 2 wire variety. Would it save money if I ran the wires, but left them completely unconnected? Googling says I'm looking at $7,000-$12,000
>>
>>1095092
Can you do it correctly? Can you commit to making sure you properly connect everything, install all needed conduit and junction boxes?

Can you install it like an electrician would?

Then do it. When's the last time code enforcement came into your home for a random inspection? You'll save money, but it will take up a lot of your time. Is it worth it to pay for the service?

As long as you KNOW you're capable of doing the work, do it. Fuck permits and all that stuff.

>Ib4 this is bad advice
If someone who knows exactly what they're doing can't do the work because of some stupid permit or code, they should do it anyways. Cucks love to say that you're inept or incapable, and it seems like that's all there is on /diy/.
>>
That is cloth wire. That is absolutely not code you might be able to get away with it but it could be over 50 years old. You are gonna have to rewire and do it right or pay someone to do it proper.
>>
>>1095128
He might need one to put a bigger panel in. Older panels don't have space for neutrals and grounds to be landed.
>>
>>1095114
>>1095128
>>1095132
>>1095136
Unfortunately this. Sorry OP.
>>
>>1095092
Why would you rewire it? Just for grounds?
>>
check in your electrical panel, if there are grounds in the incoming cables you have a chance to ground your outlets
>>
Actual sparky here. That's cloth nm not bx. Bx is armored.

A few comments are calling this wire either unsafe or 'not to code.' Code is whatever was enforced at the time of installation and cloth nm is perfectly safe as long as the insulation isn't cracking or flaking off the actual conductors (which it isn't in that picture).

You can upgrade the wires yourself. It isn't rocket science but it is a bitch which is why people pay me $60/hr to do it.
>>
>>1095114
It's not quite true, though. In most states, if not all, a homeowner can do electrical work on their house themselves without a license.
>>
>>1095334
Not a full rewire, normally. For a start you'll need a new panel, and a homeowner can't touch the incomers.
>>
>>1095349
He's literally replacing the existing wires with 3 wire. He's just running new wire, and installing a terminal block for grounds.

It's not a 'full rewire' if he's not fucking with replacing the box. On top of that, he could do all the wiring, then just pay an electrician to replace the box.
>>
File: IMG_20161105_155435.jpg (1MB, 3120x4160px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20161105_155435.jpg
1MB, 3120x4160px
Yes redo the whole house.
Doing the same thing, stupid wiring is not worth the risk.
>>
>>1095349
In Ohio the homeowner is allowed to do anything including main panels or meter bases. The process is the same for them as us. Call the poco and setup a time for disconnect, inspection and reconnect. During the inspection/reconnect on the form where you'd normally put your licence number you put your ssn and write in or circle homeowner next to it. If it passes inspection you get hooked up. Simple as that.
>>
Check with your home owners insurance. If something goes for shit and you burn all or part of your house down, they may not cover it unless a licensed pro signed off on the work, which is still cheaper than them running the cable themselves.
>>
File: extension outlet.jpg (68KB, 460x959px) Image search: [Google]
extension outlet.jpg
68KB, 460x959px
>>1095092
You have the same wiring i do anon.
No easy way to fix this without lots of rip and replace. Hopefully you can get to that wiring, but some might be stapled. In that case you can disconnect that circuit and cut/abandon the wire. I salvage what I can for the copper.

Get an electrician if only to give you a quote.
Most places now require a licensed sparky to get a permit and inspection. Without an inspection your insurance will drop you like a hot potato and you will never be able to sell.

>>1095132
I have cloth wire in my house.

>>1095156
Yep, also true.

I have been using it to pull in Romex. :)

Once I get several done I call a sparky I know and he looks it over, pulls a permit, then gets it inspected. He make $100 or for the effort and I get to learn the trade.
Isn't difficult at all. Plus he hates remodels and does new homes.

Plus he got paid to set up the new load center (breaker box).

Pic unrelated but somehow topical
>>
>>1095092
Sounds sorta like the house I just bought, only they installed a new breaker box and ran new 3 wire Romex in the 80s, installed 3 prong outlets in all rooms except one, and didn't hook any of the grounds up. None of it makes sense. The ground wire is right there, why not hook them up?
>>
>>1095132
Correct. That's good wire, but if it's not metal shielded, you ain't got a ground. You're going to have to fish new Romex.
>>
>>1095638
>Pic unrelated but somehow topical
wtffffffffffffffffffffffffffff
>>
>>1095351
True, but with wiring that old what does the panel look like? If you're going to the trouble to re-wire you may as well drop a new panel in.
>>
>>1095739
Grounded outlets are for commies and people who voted for Jimmy Carter.
>>
>>1095128
Even if you know what you're doing, it still never hurts to get a second set of eyes on your work. In my opinion, this is where an inspector should come in. Yeah, it sucks to pay for, but it's better than burning your house down. Unfortunately, inspectors get a bad name because a) they are making you redo something you just did and b) most of them are just pricks.
I work with industrial electronics and even though I know how electricity works and could probably do the job just fine, I still hesitate to do my own electrical. Residential electricians do this every day and code is there to keep us safe. I want where I sleep to be as safe as possible, even if I have to pay a few more shekels.
>>
>>1095092

4th year electrical apprentice here, ... might be cheaper in the long run to replace all of your ungrounded receptacles with GFCI receptacles. In the end it's legal, safe, you won't have to bust open any walls and although GFCI receptacles aren't inexpensive your total bill will be less than updating the wiring to the whole house just for grounds.
>>
File: IMG_20161208_100503.jpg (222KB, 1944x2592px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20161208_100503.jpg
222KB, 1944x2592px
>>1095797

2017 national electrical code

Article 406.1(D)(2)
>>
>>1095801
put on the glasses you old fuck nobody can see shit
>>
>>1095801
you put vaseline on the lens?
>>
>>1095121
nm should have a ground wire.
>>
>>1095807
And yet the photographic evidence presented proves otherwise.
>>
>>1095802
>>1095804

Fuck off and buy a code book you whiney faggots.
>>
cloth wire often has an undersized ground wire that is used to ground the metal box, sometimes on the outside of the box. check inside your electric panel
>>
>>1095826
Read OP again. He already tested the boxes for ground and they have none.
>>
>>1095797
If there are several in a room on the same circuit he can also change the single receptacle with the home run with a GFCI and feed the rest with the load side of the GFCI.
>>
>>1095797
>>1095910
30 yr JW here-this advice is safe, legal and practical. Could also use GFCI breakers.
Thread posts: 34
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.