[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

to insulate or enclose?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

File: FML1UO2HLSHHDMQ.MEDIUM.jpg (58KB, 620x465px) Image search: [Google]
FML1UO2HLSHHDMQ.MEDIUM.jpg
58KB, 620x465px
i have a detached garage i'd like to be a gym & studio, which will contain my computer, musical instruments & equipment, and fitness type equipment.

i live in a very humid area during the summer.

some people tell me to insulate the garage door. some people tell me to enclose the garage door. i want to air condition the space. i don't want it to be a "garage" anymore. the area i live in is very humid during the summer.

so, who is stupider, the people who tell me to enclose the garage, or the people who tell me to insulate the garage door?
>>
The people who tell you to enclose the door are correct. It will hold heat and cool better
>>
>>1095040
that settles it
>>
>>1095039
It's a small space. So just throw some blanket type insulation on it like in your pic and crank up the AC.

Proper insulation would vastly decrease the amount of time the AC has to run. For that you would have to build a proper insulating wall over the door, but also over all your other walls (which are almost certainly single walls with lousy insulation value).
>>
>>1095039
What do you mean by enclose? Fill in the space with wall? It will definitely be better to turn it into wall.

If you aren't going to be opening it for a while, take some foil take and seal it all up. I have a garage I work in all of the time and I leave the door to my house opened and it has a cheap plastic and foam door that seals well so it stays very nice in the room. I think all you really need it to keep the room sealed up well.
>>
Detached garages are poorly insulated. You would not achieve much by just insulating over the doors. You would need to retrofit the entire building from top to bottom which will be a very major job. It's not worth it. Just deal with the temperature with fans and cold water or layer up with hot coffee/tea.
>>
>>1095187

Correct. But if the walls exposed 2x4 or 2x6, batt insulation on them will make huge difference. If the walls are drywalled, just drill small 4in holes in every stud bay then dense pack in cellulose, patching the holes is easy. Of course if the roof has no insulation and is a truss design, either batts or more blown in insulation.

Look at it this way, insulation is a one time purchase. R30 will stop 30x more thermal energy than R1 or R0. Energy bills are reoccurring, especially those used to heat/cool a poorly insulated R1 structure.

Insulate first or don't even try to heat/cool the space.
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.