[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Sanding Help

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

File: can-stock-photo_csp11309617.jpg (23KB, 450x320px) Image search: [Google]
can-stock-photo_csp11309617.jpg
23KB, 450x320px
I'm sanding a piece of cherry, and I'm not sure why, but it's really, really smooth, until I wipe the dust off with a damp cloth.
The damp wood feels really "fuzzy" by comparison.
I started the sanding with 90 grit, then 150, 240 and finally 400.
I'm using two orbital sanders.
FYI, I'm building a display case for my wife's Marine Corps dress uniform sword.
Any ideas?
>>
The d@mp cloth might be making the dust clump up. Try blowing the dust off instead.

If that's not working, then you need to spend more time on each grit, although it this point you can probably skip 90.
>>
>>1094685
You're raising the grain by using a damp cloth. Hit it again with your higher grit papers, just a quickie to knock off the fuzz. Try to sand against the fuzz. If you're not using water based finish then wipe the dust off with a dry cloth and apply finish. If you're using water based finish go ahead and raise the grain again, then sand down one more time, then apply finish.
>>
>>1094688
>>1094697
You were both right, thanks!
The piece is nice and smooth now.
Not going to finish until I make and attach the the door, but I'm confidant it'll look good.
Planning on using MinWax BTW.
>>
>>1094734
You can wipe it off, don't use water. Use mineral spirits instead.
>>
>>1094734
Glad to hear it, post pics. I have to admit I was waiting for the cuck joke, given the my "my wife's dress uniform sword." I'll still appreciate it if that's the joke, just not quite as much now.
>>
>>1094803
>have to admit I was waiting for the cuck joke,
No joke, she's my Valkyrie, although she is retired from the Corps.
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.