[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

home engineering

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

File: wall.png (10KB, 588x720px) Image search: [Google]
wall.png
10KB, 588x720px
My house is build into a hillside with the street at the base. As a result, the fenceline is about 10' above the road, around the second story. Over the years the fence (originally built in the 60s) rotted away so a new one needs to be built. Problem is, dirt has eroded away so there is no space for a new fence.

So, I want to do this. I'd be a 10' high cinderblock retaining wall with a 10' high cinderblock wall on top. Is there anything fucked with this design? I don't know if I can pour concrete onto drainable aggregate without it fucking up. If I can't, can I get away with using regular dirt instead of something drainable? Also to be clear the walls themselves would be filled with concrete and rebar.
>>
>>1093991
Dude. You are trying to nigger rig a retaining wall.

Don't. Don't reinvent the wheel.

Look up retaining wall constructions.

Also, you don't put a plastic sheet like that, it won't drain like that.

Also, your drawing means fuck all without proper dimensioning. Information on ground condition and nearby vegetation will be important also.
>>
>>1094000

my original idea was to just build a big concrete form and do a massive concrete block
>>
>>1094000

would I be better off just splitting the base into two 5' walls instead?
>>
Don't guess this shit. You need real engineering advice.
>>
>>1094026
This. Not saying don't do it yourself, just don't engineer it yourself.
>>
>>1094024
>>1094025
This is what you sound like. No offence.

>Be building a car, I have drawn up a square wheel with rounded corners. Also, shoe strings to turn the wheels.
>No man it won't work like that.
>My original idea is just to make a massive iron ball for the wheels.
>Would I be better off making the rounded squares into rounded hexagons instead?

You are talking complete worthless shit.

Also
>>1094026
>>1094034
are right.

You are clearly not in the game and don't know what you are doing. For real. There are codes and regulations about this sort of thing, and if you are gonna nigger rig it, at least go study some shit. Now you are going full retard just farting shit out of your ass. Go do your homework, or pay someone to do your homework. Don't not do homeworks.
>>
>>1094024

This

A concrete wall

Put up a plywood mold and do it
>>
>>1093991
Well op your plan looks pretty rubbish I'm sorry. Don't you have building regulations for this type of thing?
Rule of thumb is retaining wall should be four times as thick as it is high, but the caveat is that you can treat the layers separately, so a 4ft high retaining wall the first foot should be 1ft thick, the next ft only needs to be 3/4ft thick etc etc so out thins out at the top a little bit.
If you want to build up past the top of the retained soil then just keep building it up don't start a new wall ffs. I wouldn't lay a foundation on gravel for draining either!
Backfill with 10mm gravel min it equivalent and get rid of that weird drain pipe, you need pipes running through the wall, several spaced along the length of the wall. The spacing between and diameter of the pipe needs to be calculated, again you should check your local building codes they will tell you all this shit.
At the end of the day of something has to be built someone will have made rules to fine you for breaking. Sounds like fun police right except its also a great resource as to how to do it properly.
>>
>>1093991
Engineer here.
Restraining structures make us lose sleep at night.

DO NOT cheap out or try to """""engineer""""" it yourself. Especially if you don't know shit like rankine soil pressure coefficients off the top of your head.
>>
>>1094840
Retaining structures*
>>
>>1094840

THIS.

Another engineer here. If this shit is over 1m tall I would definitely consult a professional. It sounds stupid but these things can kill or seriously hurt people if you fuck this up.
>>
>>1094844

Just noticed it is a 10 foot tall retaining wall.
Definitely do not do this yourself.

This is a pretty sizable even for reinforced concrete. A standard concrete core filled block wall may not even be strong enough to retain the soil.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.