[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Displays

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 3

File: monochrome_LED.jpg (73KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
monochrome_LED.jpg
73KB, 1280x720px
Good morning /diy/

I want to build an internet-connected display to track graphs and data from the internet. What sort of display would you recommend?

Personally, I don't want to use a traditional computer monitor because I'm afraid of the burn-in from being left on all the time.

On the other hand, LED displays aren't detailed enough to show graphs. So I was thinking of using an OLED display, which is detailed enough for my liking, but unfortunately not large enough. I'd prefer something about the size of a piece of paper.

Any thoughts?
>>
>>1093874
I can't imagine that an LCD would give you trouble with its relatively minor deficiency in detail. You'd get worse on a crt.
>>
>>1093874
>burn-in from
>thinking of using an OLED
LEDs have a burn-in because of their limited lifetime. Try LCD.
>>
LCD burn-in can be mitigated by flashing a checkered pattern across the screen. Maybe program your thing to use a checkered pattern as a screensaver? Or just flash it at odd hours when nobody is expected to see it?
>>
>>1093898
>>1093915
>>1093944
Hey guys thanks for your help. Sorry I was out walking the dog.

Anyway I'm not too familiar with the exact name of what I'd like to use, but ideally I want something very cheap and minimal only capable of displaying some refreshing numbers and a graph. Something like this, but larger:
>>
>>1094005
Get one of those cheap 40 dollar chinese tablets from alibaba and write an app that does your thing? Any sort of reasonable resolution OLED display would cost you way more than that and you'd need to add some sort of confuser to it anyway to actually run it.
>>
For long-term display with no bscklighting you can't beat eInk or chLCD. Sparkfun used to sell both but (as usual) don't sell it now that the fad's over.
>>
File: 20150918_154129.jpg (1MB, 2048x1536px) Image search: [Google]
20150918_154129.jpg
1MB, 2048x1536px
>>1093874

If you're going to use the one like in your pic good luck spending shit tons of hours making custom libraries and functions to out put exactly what you want.
>>
>>1093874
>designed by adafruit
fuck adafruit man shitting out a breakout board for alibaba bulk junk and marking it up 500% doesn't make you a hero.
>>
Get a 10$ flatscreen from the thriftstore. Connect it the the vga port on your videocard that you're not using anyway. If it burns in (which it won't) get a new 10$ screen. Might want to check the power usage on those things though.
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.