[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Wasp eradication

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 57
Thread images: 8

File: IMG_20161204_192440.jpg (1MB, 1560x2080px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20161204_192440.jpg
1MB, 1560x2080px
Sup /diy/

Got some european wasps (yellowjackets for you stateside fags) lurking under this slab. Have only just noticed them so I doubt the colony is that big yet.

As the ground is too uneven to position a mower in such a way that the exit is totally covered, I was thinking of just dumping a few shovels worth of dirt over the exit and packing it in so its harder to dig through, and filling that crack between the lifted slabs with space invader so they can't get out there either. I've got full body coveralls and I can chuck some layers underneath so i'm not too worried about getting stung in the process. This is a rental, so fire is not an option.

Any good?
>>
>>1093782
if those are yellow jackets like that are in the states, your going to get stung even with coveralls.

what most people don't know is vinegar (acetic acid) breaks down wasp venom. just soak a rag or paper towel and cover the sting sites for 20 minutes, but you have to apply it as quick as you can. ammonia works for honey bee venom, they are not interchangeable. it works, you'll end up with something that resembles a mosquito bite, and hardly any pain.

i'm not doubting you, but i never seen yellow jackets nest close to the ground, just mud wasps. but since they are close to the ground why not just drown the bastards with bleach.

also you could smear any toothpaste with fluoride and cover the entrance. it will kill them

wasps= vinegar
bees=ammonia
>>
>>1093784
>. but since they are close to the ground why not just drown the bastards with bleach.
>also you could smear any toothpaste with fluoride and cover the entrance. it will kill them

these
>>
you need a full blown hazmat suit, like the thick ass level A kind... and several gallons of boiling water to pour over the slab
>>
File: Burning Hands.webm (2MB, 720x480px) Image search: [Google]
Burning Hands.webm
2MB, 720x480px
>>1093782
>This is a rental, so fire is not an option.
Fire is always an option, otherwise your gayass landlord can spend some cash on exterminators
>>
>>1093784
I have a feeling your yellowjackets are indeed bigger than ours (unless i'm thinking japanese hornets), these things are a little under an inch long, about as "wide" as your common honeybee. I'd try for a photo but the sun has gone down now.

> vinegar
Yeah, I'm all over this one, did landscaping for a few years (saw plenty of tree based nests, never ground) and picked that up amongst all the other protips I got dropped on me, I'll definitely have some on standby. At least I know I'm not allergic (as of last time I copped a wasp sting at least).

> bleach
Really? That simple? Will that permeate the entire nest? Is it a fume thing or does it need to come into contact with them? Toothpaste is equally as intriguing, I didn't realise fluoride was toxic to them. I don't like the idea of getting my shit that close to the entrance though, my first thought when you said bleach was "neat, I could make a beer bong and just hose it in with gravity".

>>1093793
>Fire is always an option
..was looping over and over at 110dB in my head as I typed my OP kek. I'll give the bleach a shot and if it doesn't work.. Well I'm not going to napalm the joint, but I'll let the slumlord know.
>>
>>1093805
Yellowjackets are satanic little bastards, doing it at night (a dark night with no moon) might be a little bit safer as they're 'mostly' less active, but they'll still try to find and destroy whoever is messing with them
A roach bomb jammed in the hole should sort them out, just prime it, whack it in there and then run like you've just fucked a fat chick
>>
>>1093782
Report it to your landlord. Thats his responsibility and the EXACT reason you rent, so you don't have to fuck around with this shit
>>
Isn't it cold as shit everywhere in Europe right now? Just go out there early in the morning and drown the nest with boiling water. Wasps become extremely slow and fatigued, and lose their ability to fly as the temp nears freezing. I've simply stomped nests out plenty of times during a cold snap without getting stung.
>>
>>1093782
I like this guy's solution:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=17px2CYtHH0

You don't have to have complete coverage of the exit. If this runs for hours, eventually they will run into it. And if you deploy it on the end of a long pole, the wasps aren't smart enough to find the person on the other end of the pole.
>>
File: IMG_4864.jpg (493KB, 3000x3000px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4864.jpg
493KB, 3000x3000px
>>1093782
>>
File: just.gif (2MB, 276x244px) Image search: [Google]
just.gif
2MB, 276x244px
>>1093890
>Some wasps were harmed in the creation of this video
Kek
>>
>>1093871

Every thing dies in the colony but the queen when temperatures reach freezing. I don't even fuck with wasp nests if it's not bothering shit. They vacate in the winter and I just repair the damage and do my best to make sure they have no avenues in my house. They won't occupy the same spot twice.
>>
>>1093782
learn to live with them, they are a good deterrent for little kids and fucking doggos coining snooping around.

>mfw I have a bunch of wasps living all around my garage
>>
>>1093782

Would they mind if you filled that sunken spot with fresh concrete?
Just a little patch job.

I have hear of folks putting clear plastic or a glass jar over the hole. Supposedly the wasps can still see daylight so they don't start to dig another exit. Best done at night.

Soapy water will fuck them over good too.
about a gallon of water, cup of cooking oil, and several good squirts of liquid dish soap. Spray them or just drown them.
>>
>>1094042

>water
>oil
>polar
>non-polar

What?
>>
>>1094044

It's counter-intuitive but works.

Also a handy non-toxic spray for lots of garden bugs. Just watch the ratio.

The soap keeps the oil in suspension and then dries out. Also helps cut through any water repelance the buggos might have. I didn't get it the first time, but it works like a charm on aphids and other bugs in the garden.

Google the ratios though
>>
>>1094044
And soap. Are you not familiar with soap?
>>
File: IMG_1561.jpg (85KB, 550x669px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1561.jpg
85KB, 550x669px
>>1094063

Soap doesn't magically convert one to the other. Did you not do this experiment as a kid?
>>
>>1093782
try to put the largest amount of boiling water inside that the fastest you can, don't give the wasps time to react

or just find the most poisonous thing to them that exists, and throw a lot of it there
>>
File: Yellowjackets_Bane.jpg (49KB, 1440x900px) Image search: [Google]
Yellowjackets_Bane.jpg
49KB, 1440x900px
>>1093782
>I was thinking of just dumping a few shovels worth of dirt over the exit

You are so close. Let me tell you what you're missing:

The ABSOLUTE best way to kill these fuckers (and most ground dwelling/boring wasps/hornets/yellowjackets) once and for all is this:
-Find all of the points of entry/exit
-Mark them
-If any of the marked points are along cracks/crevices/etc you will have to use some fill material(usually just dirt) to create a defined point
-Get together your supplies
---Shovel, Pile of dirt, Can of gas
-Return to the marked points at night
---Wasp are now inside
-Carefully use the shovel to place a pile of dirt over all but 1 point
-Go to the last point with the shovel filled with dirt and your can of gas
-Pour about a gallon of gas into the final point and then use the shovel to pack the dirt in.
-Check the other points and make sure the dirt is packed

Congratulations! You just crashed it with no survivors.
>>
>>1093782
>probably shouldnt listen to me
dont listen to me
>really probably shouldnt follow this suggestion

What if you pour a gas that is heavier than air, like propane or argon down their holes. Bees need air too.
argon should be fine, but propane will probably get your shit blown up.
also it might actually stay there due to being heavier than air, so youd have a semipermanent argon/propane deposit under your side walk.
>>
>>1093782
Mothballs. Find entrances/exits, pour in a few handfuls at night, cover holes, wait.

I has some in between siding over door I was having replaced. Did the above and every day would scoop out dead bees. Got them all after a few day.

Smoked a cigar while doing work during the day as smoke calms them down.
>>
>>1094229
Smoke won't calm down the old wasp like the honeybee, they'll see it as just another excuse to turn your sorry arse into a pincushion because they're evil and vile tempered cunts
>>
>>1094236
How do they feel about argon?
>>
>>1093870
Our landlords and the owner have given us plenty of latitude on the property and basically leave us the fuck alone to do our thing. They actually paid me to properly run some CAT6 and install wallplates for all rooms when I asked, all I wanted initially was the loungeroom and a bedroom wired, but the whole place is done now. The inspection real estate did after that was complete was the first time they had inspected in two years, and that was just to make sure I'd actually done a good job. I'm happy to help them out on the small stuff like this.

>>1093871
I'm ausfag, its currently 37C (98F) at about 55% humidity. These fuckers are bouncing around like kids on speed.

>>1093890
..Plausible and satisfying as fuck, but it's not going to kill the queen, and doesn't have the shock and awe of a proper, fully mulching cyclonic death engine. I want to salt the earth, not control population.

>>1093891
> Bringing a knife to a gun fight
Shiggy.

>>1094036
I'd be down with that, except that is a regularly used thoroughfare. Everytime we walk over that slab the vibrations stir them up, and they are now starting to follow me into the garage when I walk past (there is a doorway I was standing in when I took this photo, they are that close)

>>1094042
Not at all, my only concern is them digging another way out, which is why I started the thread, to see if burying the exits was a good enough solution, which the next guy seems to have answered..

>>1094190
Someone up there said bleach, which I would prefer, simply from an environmental perspective. This is basically the plan though. I also like the idea of running LPG in. Cram a hose in, bury the exists and let a 2.5kg bottle slowly empty in.

I'll go grab some provisions and deploy in the next day or so. Happy to hear other suggestions in the meantime, cheers legends.
>>
>>1093782
What about a large piece of see trough plastic? Something like greenhouse plastic tarp? Then you cover a large enough area and put dirt all around on it so that the fuckers can't escape. It'd cover the potential other entrances and eventually starve the population, maybe dry them to death also.
>>
>>1094275
And combine this with the other methods. Throw mothballs, bleach and all this other shit under the tarp. Eventually something is bound to work.
>>
>>1094275
>>1094277
Holy fuck anon, this is how nightmares are born..

> create greenhouse
> dump in all sorts of noxious chemicals and substances
> apply stinking hot heat of australian summer
> most wasps die, some evolve
> ???
> supervillain wasps punching holes in walls like bullets to sting my shit with their thermonuclear ass-barbs
> at least their pincers are nice and clean from the toothpaste

I'll stick with the LPG man.
>>
>>1094295
Though a most amusing post, that is precicely what's needed to keep the buggers from evolving. Sterilising the bastids once and for all.
Same reason you treat weird infections with multiple Antibiotics for the full recommended Treatment duration, so none little Last Stands turn into Beachheads.
>>
>>1094271
>Ausfag

Go to bunnings and buy a bottle of that white powder wasp killing shite, we use it at work all the time. Wait until its dark and squirt it down the hole then leg it with the enthusiasm of a thousand raped apes
>>
>>1093782
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OM4Nku2qAiI
>>
>>1094073
No, but it keeps the oil in emulsion. That's a large part of the reason why soap works.
You know terms like polar and non-polar, but are unfamiliar with emulsions and soap?
>>
>>1094311
To be truthful, the idea of my own private Bophar Disaster trapped in a dutch oven does sound appealing, if for no other reason than to seal them all in and watch them shit their guts out. That's going to maximise my loiter time in the warzone though, which is not ideal. I'm thinking I'll beer bong in a bunch of bleach, put a hose in the main entrance then cover with dirt to seal, then pipe in some LPG for an hour or so.

I'm gunna get my shit stung soooo bad anons. This is going to be mad.

>>1094316
Sure, lets add another chemical to the concoction so the fuckers get night vision as well. What could possibly go wrong anon! Also, pic related?

>>1094327
> remove hose.
> angry horde trying to get at him.
> be still my clenching anus.

I wonder if we can take mower anons idea and combine it with this though? Mower disk works like a fan that sucks up the cuttings and blows them into the catcher, place a ply sheet with a hose attachment over the bottom of the mower, start up, boom, deathblender. Earn some style points by leaving the catcher off and parking it against a wall so the wasp gore sticks and piles up like some sort of meat render.
>>
>>1094333
You're over thinking it.
>Night
>Be sneaky
>Tip horrible killing shit down hole
>Run before you get raped harder than the middle classes tax bracket
>>
Can't you just make some plaster? 1 part water, 4/3 parts plaster power. You can poor it in while liquid and 10 minutes later it has set. Do find all the entrances.

This way you won't have to handle chemicals or set things on fire.

And you might even end up with a whasps nest casting if you dig it out.
>>
>>1094327

Wet/dry vacuum with some soapy water kills them fast after sucking them up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZpgovFhV_ho
>>
pour diesel or regular gas in the entrance and further in if you can. my father hates wasps and found out this was the best method
>>
>>1093782

There's a much more effective approach if you're willing to invest a little time and effort

> Form a nationalist / populist movement in your neighborhood, promising to restore the block to its former beautiful, wasp-less state
> Hire local day laborers off the corner to form your own secret police force. Pay them well and treat them fairly, and use them to intimidate voters in order to be elected captain of the neighborhood watch
> Create an iconic emblem from a religious symbol for your followers to rally behind as you bring employment and prosperity to your area
> Via speeches and propaganda, slowly introduce to your followers that wasps are the origin of their past strife and social unrest
> Under the pretense of aiding persecuted minorities, begin to invade your neighbor's lawns one at a time, deaf to city government protests, and begin constructing camps in which wasps, bees, and mosquitoes are forced to toil and perform slave labor
> Introduce a "final solution" to the "wasp question" and systematically eradicate them for the greater good
>>
>>1094651
I have seen the prequel. Didn't worked well enough. The roaches are still there and have breed.

>>1094335
>Run before you get raped harder than the middle classes tax bracket
Kek
>>
>>1094640
>pour diesel or regular gas in the entrance and further in if you can. my father hates wasps and found out this was the best method

They always have multiple entrances. This wont work unless you do this

>>1094190
>-Find all of the points of entry/exit
>-Mark them
>-If any of the marked points are along cracks/crevices/etc you will have to use some fill material(usually just dirt) to create a defined point
>-Get together your supplies
>---Shovel, Pile of dirt, Can of gas
>-Return to the marked points at night
>---Wasp are now inside
>-Carefully use the shovel to place a pile of dirt over all but 1 point
>-Go to the last point with the shovel filled with dirt and your can of gas
>-Pour about a gallon of gas into the final point and then use the shovel to pack the dirt in.
>-Check the other points and make sure the dirt is packed
>>
>>1094666

thanks Satan
>>
>>1094271
>>Bringing a knife to a gun fight

What?

It sprays like 20 feet, do it at night when they are resting, and your problem is over...
>>
>>1094271
>but it's not going to kill the queen

Kill enough of the workers and either the queen and remaining colony will starve to death or move out.

A powerful fan or vacuum cleaner might work. But the wasps might avoid the high air turbulence.
>>
>>1094190
Sounds like the same way my Grandpa used to do it. He owned a tree nursery.
>>
>>1094959
>A powerful fan or vacuum cleaner might work.

HAH HAH HAH
>>
Dump a can of diesel. They will all be dead in 5 min
>>
>>1095642

Suck up all the workers and the colony is dead. So yeah, if they have one entrance then a high power vacuum will work just fine. Put it next to the entrance and suck em up as they fly in/out.
>>
>>1094019
>fucking manlets, when will they learn
>>
>find communist faggots
>put communist faggots near wasp entrance
>make the wasps mad by doing something
>???
>profit
>>
>The inspection real estate did after that was complete was the first time they had inspected in two years, [...]
Put a ring on it, lock that shit down.

Now that nobody will ever be able to afford a house in this cunt ever again, the prospect of inspections every six months for the next fifty years fills me with dread. But on the bright side, we'll die sooner than our parents, so that's an inspection or two less.
>>
>f3 wd40
>no results

Wtf people?
>>
>>1096758
WD40
Wasp Destroyer
>>
if you have a garden hose just push it over there and turn it on for half an hour, repeat a couple more times this week and they'll fuck off
>>
>>1097355
This
>>
>>1093890
The reason the wasps "learn" is because they are a super organism.

>bunch of wasps die
>remaining wasps see them die
>tell each other to avoid the wire

That's pretty much it.
>>
File: wasp.jpg (203KB, 400x2600px) Image search: [Google]
wasp.jpg
203KB, 400x2600px
>>1093890
>I don't have anything against wasps
>Hell, I wouldn't mind if my daughter married one!

NORWAY YES
Thread posts: 57
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.