[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Long showers

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 9

File: 1480282955719.jpg (187KB, 2048x1365px) Image search: [Google]
1480282955719.jpg
187KB, 2048x1365px
Does something already exist where you have a shower that reuses the same water (although cleaning it or slowly replacing it with new water) so you can sit in the shower for a long time without wasting water and money? Do they have a name? How much would it cost to built that kind of shower in a house?
>>
>>1093425
There are systems to warm the incoming water with waste water. I think the efficiency is up to 60%?
>>
Just take a bath m8
>>
Carwashes use recycled water. Just get an automated carwash system and put it in your yard and stand in it.
>>
File: 1469569327667.jpg (31KB, 473x315px) Image search: [Google]
1469569327667.jpg
31KB, 473x315px
>>1093425
I've had the same idea, OP. You would have to catch the water before it enters the sewer drain, with a valve to determine how big of a ratio goes to the sewer. Most likely you'd have to DIY it.

I've also had the idea of putting a heat exchanger on the drain, pre-heating the new water using the old. I've heard that one does exist in some form.
>>
>>1093459
I use bath everyday, when it full I pull out plug then switch on hot water, it fills equal to it emptying, keeps me constantly warm, lot of water and gas wasted for nothing but I do not pay for it so it ok. I care for the polish icecaps and wales
>>
>>1093465

You ever noticed how it smells like ass?
>>
I could take a nice piss on you after a couple tallboys
>>
File: showerregenerator.png (8KB, 630x418px) Image search: [Google]
showerregenerator.png
8KB, 630x418px
>>1093425
Instead of recirculating dirty water I propose installing a heat exchanger on the drain. Plate type exchangers for large diameter pipes are cheap nowadays, not to mention they provide incredible heat transfer rates. You could feed the pre-heated fresh water into the water heater, as it is still going to be colder than what you need. Remember to pipe it counter-flow for the maximum heat transfer efficiency. I have provided a simple technological drawing. Sorry for how it looks, I am actually quite serious about this. My background in energy process engineering tells me this is somewhat feasible Just don't clog the exchanger.
>>
>>1093465
>high impact wash/stimulation
>>
>>1093425
Yes there are machines you can get that clean and filter water for you, usually they are cheaper and more efficient with scale so why not get your neighbour to chip in and share it, or a few people on your street? Or you know the whole town/city, call it a waste treatment plant. Then I guess you would need someone to run and maintain it. I guess by that point you might as well not bother
>>
Sounds like you just like to sit in the warm dampness and think. I do as well.
Our friends the Finns have already solved this problem. Build an outdoor Sauna room. All it requires is some wood, some good insulation, some hot coals and some water.
>>
>>1093560
This.
/thread
>>
>>1093560
This doesn't save any water though.
>>
>>1093425
It's called a jacuzzi.
>>
File: showerrecirculator.png (12KB, 630x682px) Image search: [Google]
showerrecirculator.png
12KB, 630x682px
>>1093631

It saves energy. Which is the major cost when it comes to hot water. If you wanted to recirculate water, you'd have to clean it, which would in turn use energy. If you want to recirculate the water without cleaning it, I have provided another drawing. Overflow would go to drain, a simple level sensor based on two wires submerged in your used water tank would serve to control the pump. The simplest system would just turn the pump on when the circuit is closed, while the pump rpm would be your way of varying the water proportions (this is why ther overflow is there, you will likely not want to use a 100% of it) a more complex one could vary the amount of water recirculated otherwise. How to wire the control box is something other people would need to help you with. All the other components here can be fashioned from cheap, off the shelf stuff.
>>
>>1093562
Ever see the "no touch" car washes?
>>
>>1093905
Something about a vat of electrically charged water below my feet in a shower seems like a bad idea...
>>
>>1093941
You do realise, that this is not directly connected to the grid, but rather likely a small separate circuit, 3 V or something that works a relay or a transistor or something, right? I am not even sure, how your brain produced the idea that it might be dangerous. Let's examine your thinking for a moment. If this was the grid voltage, and directly wired to the pump, it would shut down the pump when the level was high. I Just think for a moment. For fucks sake.
>>
>>1093974
correction, "would not shut down the pump" (which is the point. Rest of the rant stands.
>>
>>1093425
thats gross.
do this >>1093459
>>
In the winter I just plug up the drain while showering and let it fill up as I shower. After I finish I leave the water plugged up and let the heat dissipate to ambient. Then it goes down the drain. This way I keep the energy used to make the water hot within my four walls.

I live in new 'superinsulated' prefab house. It's almost like a thermos in here. Usually the waste heat generated by my electronics and appliances is enough to keep the house warm no matter the circumstances.
>>
>>1093631
Water is cheap.
Also, you're not wasting water, you're subsidizing water purification.
>>
File: 1470594959075.jpg (66KB, 500x509px) Image search: [Google]
1470594959075.jpg
66KB, 500x509px
>>1093631
>>1093425
You nerd.

>get in the shower and get your body and hair wet
>turn off shower
>apply shit to your hair
>then apply shit to your body
>Once you scrubbed yourself, turn on water again
>let water run on your body until their isn't any soap on you

There, you've literally had the shower on for 1 minute tops once you've practiced. That's what I do anyways.
>>
File: 1407630355859.jpg (10KB, 320x320px) Image search: [Google]
1407630355859.jpg
10KB, 320x320px
>>1094153
>water is cheap

>>1094181
A long shower feels good.
>>
>>1094183
Anime figurines in one hand and sand bags in the other, what do you want?
>>
>>1093425

In burgerland we call this a tub.
>>
>>1094181
Lol fuuuuuck that.

Just enjoy your shower OP, your autistic attempts to save the planet means absolutely nothing in the grand scheme of things.
>>
>>1093425

If you re-use water in a shower it is essentially no longer sanitized. If you want it actively cleaned as you go, then that means you're going to need a system of filtration that can actually keep up well enough to cycle your outflow back to inflow at pace, which is going to require power and seriously ramp up the cost and energy inefficiencies of your system.

And regarding cost, you'd almost necessarily need to build in pipework, reservoirs and pumps almost equivalent to having a second shower attached to the first. So in terms of cost you're looking at the cost of your whole shower on top of your whole shower.

The soap and filth on you will put your filters through a lot of work and you'll need to clean and replace them way too frequently. Then again if you just let wastewater go back through the system unfiltered and live with it, you'll still have mucked up pipes and pumps and probably get pinkeye at some point.

The idea does not appear to be a good one to pursue. I love the heat-exchanger stuff in this thread though.

Maybe you could do something else with the shower waste-water. I dunno like, maybe fill a reservoir that flushes your toilet throughout the day or something. That'd conserve. Still an odd bit of effort.
>>
>>1093982
you got that right, especially if someone waffle stomps
>>
>>1093905
Im just saying I wouldn't DIY a circuit of any kind underneath my shower, unless I were an electrician.

Way to get triggered though.
>>
>>1094031
Aaaah! That moisture!
>>
>>1094237
I do frankly get triggered by cunts like you, because it is your fault that I'm allowed to do less and less on my own to protect twats like you from natural selection.
>>
>>1093482
You should be ashamed of your UNSUSTAINABLE lifestyle. You are the reason why we can't have a thick ozone layer protecting our children.
>>
File: P1030842.jpg (445KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
P1030842.jpg
445KB, 1600x1200px
>>1093941
>>
File: download (25).jpg (10KB, 261x193px) Image search: [Google]
download (25).jpg
10KB, 261x193px
>>1094325
>>
>>1093631

Just buy a well.
>>
>>1094446
How much are they? Are they difficult to install?
>>
>>1094601
Couple of bolts. Pretty easy.
>>
>>1093560
>>1094181
>>1094195
These 3 posts are your only real bets here, OP. Filtering water is costly, and heating water is costly. Not just money- or energy-wise, but for the environment as well. Reusing the water in the shower isn't the best way of reusing that water.

Instead, collect the waste water and put it to use on something that doesn't require potable water, like flushing the toilet, washing your car, or even watering the garden.

If you're conscious about your energy usage, the heat exchange system is a good idea. 90% of the energy that goes into heating your water is wasted once the water drips off of you. Taking long hot showers wastes a fair bit of energy if you don't have some way to get that heat back. You wouldn't have to put the UNDER the shower, it'd be better to place it near the water heater, and exchange the heat with the cold water before it goes into the heater, so the water heater doesn't have to work as hard to heat up the water coming in.
>>
>>1094653
>exchange the heat with the cold water before it goes into the heater
Actually, thinking about it, this is only true if you're one of those people who has your water heater running all the time, or if your showers are so long that you use up more than a full water heater tank worth of hot water in one shower.

If you're neither of these, then you'd have to exchange the heat with the water somewhere in-between the faucet/showerhead and wherever the hot+cold water gets added together. Then you start the shower as normal, but turn down the hot water as the heat exchanger starts doing its work, so you end up using less hot water out of your tank.
>>
>>1093425
Using the same water?

That's stupid. You might want to capture it as "grey" water and use it for watering plants/garden/lawn, so long as you use eco-friendly soaps/shampoo. You wouldn't want to recycle it back into your water heater because of obvious reasons of waste in the water not being removed. You could set up some kind of cleaning process, but that requries energy and isn't really worth the time unless your really interested in the idea.

Like others have mentioned, heat exchange would be your best way to save energy. Outgoing waste water would have to transfer it's wasted heat to the water in your hot water tank. But this seems pointless because the water in the tank is most likely hotter than the waste water. You could have two tanks though, so the waste water heats up a "eco-friendly" secondary tank that doesn't use any or as much energy to heat the water, instead using the waste water heat.
Thread posts: 43
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.